• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Next Xbox Graphics Will Look Like AVATAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Whilst this is clearly hyperbole, I think he meant that it will give a decent visual approximation rather than actually being able to render anything near AVATAR quality graphics which not even current high end PCs can do.

I guess this also kind of confirms AMD are being used on the next Xbox so BC should be a lock. Also, it reinforces that MS are going for a proper generational upgrade rather than a small incremental one like some were speculating.

AMD: Xbox 720 graphics will look like Avatar

Technology company AMD, who supplied the graphics hardware for the Xbox 360, claims that the next Xbox will be capable of the level of graphical detail seen in James Cameron's movie Avatar. Even on PC, that kind of technology just isn't here yet, but AMD claims the Xbox 720 will launch with it.

While AMD would not confirm they were actually working on the 360's successor, director of ISV relationships at AMD, Neal Robison, stated that gamers have a lot to excited about.

Robison also mentioned that the A.I. and physics capabilities of the next-gen hardware will allow for every pedestrian in a game such as Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row to have a totally individual mentality, meaning when you shoot a gun or run someone over they don't all just do the same thing. There will be no more mob mentality, where everyone just screams and runs away; every NPC will actually be an individual character.

Whoa.

Source: August issue of OXM (U.S.)

Examiner

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I want to see realistic sweat in Dance Central 4. Day 1.

Both points about AI and avatar style graphics seem to miss the point that it is one thing to be able to do it, it is another thing actually take the time.

I'll settle for a return to 1990 level job schedules in rpgs first...

"I just want good frame rate in HD. Too much too ask?"

I'm sure there will be some proselytizers in this thread to tell you the good word shortly.

DonMigs85

Ideally they really should target what that Unreal demo could do, but we'll be lucky to have a third of that power. :(

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Came here to make the Toy Story joke.
Beaten to a pulp.
Shadow of the BEAST said:
Sans resolution and iq, im sure it will be close.
Avatar's resolution is round 1080p.

This is my favorite part. Sounds amazing.

Robison also mentioned that the A.I. and physics capabilities of the next-gen hardware will allow for every pedestrian in a game such as Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row to have a totally individual mentality, meaning when you shoot a gun or run someone over they don't all just do the same thing. There will be no more mob mentality, where everyone just screams and runs away; every NPC will actually be an individual character.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Rygar 8 Bit said:
like how he talks about A.I scripting even though the GPU has nothing to do with that
That could suggest that AMD may be supplying the CPU as well. Also, you can run AI on the GPU these days.

NEO0MJ

Ha, this reminds me of the toy story comment by the sony guy. Remember that one, guys?

Teknopathetic said:
Toy Story, etc.

markot said:
And the ps2 was toy storyesque

smuf said:
Like the PS2 was going to be able to do Toy Story graphics right?

edit: beaten twice :(

Rabid Wolverine said:
It did.

When watching the DVD Movie.

The Bookerman said:
Before toy story, there was jurassic park graphics on the n64. I remember that promise, i'm still waiting. :p

Damn, you all remember it!

Reminds me of when Nintendo claimed the "Ultra 64" would be able to produce Jurassic Park-quality graphics. I used to call Nintendo several times a week and talk to the customer service reps to confirm this. I remember one of the reps telling me he had personally seen what the system was capable of and indeed the graphics were on par with JP. I was...I think 16 at the time...and dumb enough to believe it.

So confused.
On one hand I want to mock the suggestion that they claim to be able to put the power of a big modern rendering farm into a console box.

On the other hand they aren't already spinning spinning spinning like crazy to downplay the graphics upgrade and how much people should care.

The only way this kind of hyperbole even makes any sense is if the next xbox is getting a 28nm semi high end gpu.
(or if it ain't coming out for another 25 years, then maybe it's not hyperbole).

Guess the lifecycle delibarate misinterpreting trolls are going to have a field day again.

I remember when magazines told us the PS2 would make this playable in real time.

FVixH.jpg

Also:

xbox_robot_1.jpg

10.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-technical-demo-for-ps3-20060119005805734_640w.jpg

Killzone2_PS3_Editeur_006.jpg

DonMigs85

plasmasd said:
Toy Story 1 has still not been achieved.
Nah, I think we've surpassed that at least. It's a bit flat and low-poly by today's standards. Just need better anti-aliasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom