• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Next Xbox Graphics Will Look Like AVATAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

3tTpAAE.gif

LMFAO

JordanN

Banned
Edit: Oh for fucks sake. I rushed into that one.. thought this was talking about what comes after Xbox One :( Gaf I'm sorry.

Original comment:

To be fair some current PS4 games have surprisingly incredible image quality and amazing graphics. It was a much bigger leap over last gen that many expected from a pure visual image quality standpoint and the increase in how good games looked. I wouldn't be surprised if the next big leap does take us into the realms of looking like Avatar CGI. I do think it's probably a bullshit statement in some way but I don't think it's completely ridiculous. If we stick to 1080p rendering with the power these consoles will have then it might just be more or less true, but of course we should be hoping for far more 4K or "much better than 1080p" resolutions going forward which will reign that in quite a bit.

You can't really compare games that have to run at 30 frames per second to CGI, where every frame still takes hours to render and gets edited in post production to look perfect.

It's already possible to have cinematic-esque lighting and post processing effects but in sheer complexity, CGI scenes are too heavy to be handled in real time.

Think millions of millions of polygons, texture sizes that span several hard drives, physics simulations for every object ever (i.e rain, clothes, dirt).

And of course, the cost. Look at how only AAA games can afford even close to the cost of cutting edge graphics. You wont see any mid-tier games or indie ones doing Avatar visuals, if ever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
goddamn if these last 2 pages didnt make my day, im dying here. I know necro bumps are frowned upon but this I apreciated this one :p

Compsiox

Banned
How good it looks isn't nearly as important as 1080p 30/60 locked. No drops.

It amazes me these consoles don't even do that right.

It's because the developers always push the new hardware to its limits rather than give us a last gen game with higher fps and higher resolution. I'm glad that they keep pushing it.

dsk1210

Just show you the amount of bullshit people will spout though when a new console is about to release.

Even high end PC graphics can not pull this off yet, the "Adam" demo is probably the closest I have seen being rendered in real time.

It's because the developers always push the new hardware to its limits rather than give us a last gen game with higher fps and higher resolution. I'm glad that they keep pushing it.

That's a false dichotomy if I ever saw one.

It's not a choice between:

A) Last gen graphics

B) Stable frame rate

More like scaling slightly back on certain visuals in certain situations and taking enough time to dev the shit correctly.

ethomaz

Banned
First I thought it was a really bad think to say before Xbone and now again for Scorpio?

Well after that I saw the dates lol

It was laughable before Xbone launch and continue to be laughable before Scorpio launch.

Compsiox

Banned
That's a false dichotomy if I ever saw one.

It's not a choice between:

A) Last gen graphics

B) Stable frame rate

More like scaling slightly back on certain visuals in certain situations and taking enough time to dev the shit correctly.

Obviously it's not that black and white. Anyway, the harder visuals are pushed on console, the better they get on PC.

Obviously it's not that black and white. Anyway, the harder visuals are pushed on console, the better they get on PC.

I always thought it was the other way around :p But that's a valid perspective if your only concern is PC gaming where it's more modular and hardware can be swapped better.

For my perspective of someone that doesn't bother with PC gaming anymore I'd prefer performance over attempts at bleeding edge visuals on hardware that's outdated when it ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom