• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Next Xbox Graphics Will Look Like AVATAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_C

Curious why everything looks procedural generated from a very, very small sampling. Intriguing stuff though.

EDIT: Should'a watched the whole way through.

Truant

[Nintex] said:
Woah I wonder where that went, seems like they've come a long way I wonder which studio will try it out first.

I'll wait for the inevitable "CEO of Game Engine Company says this tech is not viable for games. Assures developers their engine is really good and has DX11 support in an upcoming patch. Then lists a number of top selling games using Game Engine."

Anony

wow, i cant believe it's been one year since that tech demo
still amazing, but they need to put out a tech demo, i want to see this running on my computer

KageMaru

There's something that just doesn't seem right with that tech. Remember reading that it wasn't very viable for games when they released their first video, though don't remember where.

The fact that it was running at ~20fps with little/no animation, physics, AI, post processing effects, great lighting, etc. makes this sound like a fun little tech demo and not much else.

StevieP

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
no that would be ;_;

Anyway back on-topic.

AMD recently had their conference call, can someone pull that up so we can look at it or listen to it ? Thanks.

Basically that "our AMD APUs like Fusion would be a perfect hint for the console space." (wink wink, nudge nudge)

SureJan.gif

Edit - what the fuck, this is a horrible and pointless bump! Also, if you genuinely think the Scorchio will deliver visuals like Avatar then I have some bad news for you.

Did gamers really see Avatar as that impressive looking in 2011? I remember not being particularly impressed with it in 2009. One of the jaguar-ish creatures looked like it was untextured, for instance.

nubbe

Did gamers really see Avatar as that impressive looking in 2011? I remember not being particularly impressed with it in 2009. One of the jaguar-ish creatures looked like it was untextured, for instance.

It didn't make billions because of the captivating drama

pirata

The cost of creating ultra-high-detail assets on a mass scale will continue to be a major bottleneck blocking the creation of graphics on the level of Hollywood film effects long after the hardware becomes capable of rendering it. I don't think any game budget would be able to handle that.

And also, I like fun necro-bumps, but this one is pretty lacking. Is Scorpio really that exciting?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lol i remember when they said this, damn...remember when Samaritan looked cutting edge?

2011? God damn
giphy.gif

Trace

Banned
Scorpio might finally deliver on these words.

Thought it would be fun to revisit this thread and be hype fuel until E3.

Sorry what? That's not how computing works. You're not seeing real-time avatar until 2030 at the earliest.

Detective

Guys, instead of just running around in circles about the same damn things, why not talk design?

How do you think it will look? Color?

xbox-one-scorpio-and-xbox-slim-vs-playstation-4k-neo.jpg

DavidDesu

Edit: Oh for fucks sake. I rushed into that one.. thought this was talking about what comes after Xbox One :( Gaf I'm sorry.

Original comment:

To be fair some current PS4 games have surprisingly incredible image quality and amazing graphics. It was a much bigger leap over last gen that many expected from a pure visual image quality standpoint and the increase in how good games looked. I wouldn't be surprised if the next big leap does take us into the realms of looking like Avatar CGI. I do think it's probably a bullshit statement in some way but I don't think it's completely ridiculous. If we stick to 1080p rendering with the power these consoles will have then it might just be more or less true, but of course we should be hoping for far more 4K or "much better than 1080p" resolutions going forward which will reign that in quite a bit.

Robison also mentioned that the A.I. and physics capabilities of the next-gen hardware will allow for every pedestrian in a game such as Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row to have a totally individual mentality, meaning when you shoot a gun or run someone over they don't all just do the same thing. There will be no more mob mentality, where everyone just screams and runs away; every NPC will actually be an individual character.

That's assuming developers would use said power for "A.I" but it sounds more like animation states before going about their "routine" in the Ubi-games.

Unless they make the next generation open-world game the way Rain World's emergent AI does will legitimIze their promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom