• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD rep: Radeon R9 290X running with Mantle API will "ridicule" Titan in Battlefied 4

Yes, it will run multiplatforms better than next-gen consoles. Why shouldnt it?

huma, metal, dGPU, i have no idea anymore.

Having a hard time seeing how people even can stomach it anymore...
That posted comp is only gonna get cheaper as time goes on....

Just trying to introduce some actual facts to counter the nebulous statements they were making.
There are other ways to do it where you don't come off like a fanboy in the process.
I don't mean to insult you as a person. I'd bet you're a perfectly ok guy. The fanboy attitude is what I find irritating, pointless and deserving of ridicule. Any debate goes directly into the shitter once people begin acting like children.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
If you are talking about Piledriver you are correct. However, the 8 core Jaguar in next gen consoles is a true 8 core CPU, as each core has its own FPU.

it's more like two quad cores duct taped together than a true octocore chip, but your point stands.

are you guys serious? my comp is better than that and I'm not expecting to run late cycle next gen games as good as the consoles are. Should I be?

I have:

GTX 760 2GB
8GB RAM
intel i5 4670k(or something like that) haswell processor

should I expect to run multiplat games better than next gen consoles throughout their life?

Demon Ice

Banned
There are other ways to do it where you don't come off like a fanboy in the process.
I don't mean to insult you as a person. I'd bet you're a perfectly ok guy. The fanboy attitude is what I find irritating, pointless and deserving of ridicule. Any debate goes directly into the shitter once people begin acting like children.

Fine, but when I'm responding to posts like this

PC gamers getting more out of their pricy hardware? Awesome.

point of diminishing returns.

400 bucks for a ps4 or 800 bucks for a video card to run games where you need to sit 4 inches from the screen to notice a difference.

Hard to keep the reply entirely snark-free.

GTX 760 2GB
8GB RAM

should I expect to run multiplat games better than next gen consoles throughout their life?

At 1080p? Yes, I would.

Tenck

are you guys serious? my comp is better than that and I'm not expecting to run late cycle next gen games as good as the consoles are. Should I be?

I have:

GTX 760 2GB
8GB RAM

At 1080p yes you should. Why you think you wont be able to is beyond me.

AmyS

amd-mantle-645x384.jpg

It's already been said, and I agree, Mantle will be the new 3DFX Glide.

MMaRsu

Banned
point of diminishing returns.

400 bucks for a ps4 or 800 bucks for a video card to run games where you need to sit 4 inches from the screen to notice a difference.

This is some ridiculous console only user trolling bullshit I'm reading here.

Addnan

Serious words. I await the reviews and benchmarks, if true I might go red for the first time in I don't remember how long. Assuming its around $499

kharma45

Serious words. I await the reviews and benchmarks, if true I might go red for the first time in I don't remember how long. Assuming its around $499

Yeah I want to see benches using FCAT to see how much of a difference Mantle makes to BF4 against Nvidia.

Guy.brush

That means running normal DX11 games it probably is NOT faster than a TITAN. Otherwise they would have presented some actual benchmark data at the reveal.
(according to that one Firestrike benchmark it is not reaching the level of a GTX780 or TITAN)
Of course BF4 will run better on AMD cards, they have a coooperation running with DiCE.

If Mantle turns out to be the new proprietary PhysX meh.. PC gaming doesn't need more proprietary standards.

PSGames

Oh lord, I can't tell if the GPU Wars starting up again is a good or bad thing

This seems worrisome to me. The only way nvidia can compete is to come up with their own API now. Then we will have 4 APIs for Developers to focus on. DirectX, OpenGL, Mantle, Nvidia API. Not to mention the different APIs for the consoles

Seems like a mess.

mr2xxx

Banned
Durrherp derp

Educate yourselves, console kiddies.

Or keep telling yourselves that paying $400 - $500 for a closed box with paid online gaming and $60 games that struggle to hit 30 - 60 FPS at various resolutions that are all 1080p or lower is a "good deal."

You do understand that horrible image you posted is off by a lot right? No OS, keyboard, mouse taken into account. and the components prices were taken from Microcenter, a store the majority of people don't have access to. Then it links to newegg which actually has the processor for $40 more expensive.

TheD

The Detective
Assumption? Jesus people, look at the ahitecture description of AMD cpus. Stop grasping at straws, and start reading facts a little.
vishera_6.jpg

/hugz my future-proof FX 8350

Why don't you look up the architecture instead of talking about something you clearly know nothing about?!

Each 2 core module shares a fair amount of logic, including the FPU, decode and L2 cache!

kartu

Banned
amd-mantle-645x384.jpg

It's already been said, and I agree, Mantle will be the new 3DFX Glide.

As if 3DFX lost because of some API and not performance, eh?

AMD is there on major platforms for at least 5 more years to come, even SteamBox is AMD powered, they are also doing fine in GPU market.

DieH@rd

Banned
I know about shared FPU, I thought that posters who attacked FX line believed that AMD is completely "faking" multi-threading. Which they are not.

is this ok to build around for battlefield 4 at 1080p 60fps or do i need to upgrade?

PROCESSOR: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3470 processor (6M Cache, 3.20GHz)

Mr.Mike

is this ok to build around for battlefield 4 at 1080p 60fps or do i need to upgrade?

PROCESSOR: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3470 processor (6M Cache, 3.20GHz)

That CPU will be plenty. The "Recommended" specs are 8GB of RAM and 3GB of VRAM. Grab one of the newer cards that have at 3GB of RAM or more and you should be more than fine. Given recent announcements and partnerships it seems one of the new AMD cards might be a good choice, particularly for Battlefield.

dr_rus

Yeah, AMD has stopped chasing singlecore performance...
Simply the best decision in times when single core performance is the source of most bottlenecks in CPU code.

AMD is there on major platforms for at least 5 more years to come, even SteamBox is AMD powered, they are also doing fine in GPU market.
Console profits for chip builders are very small.
Steam Machines can use whatever SteamOS compatible h/w but right now it looks like Valve is working with NV on drivers optimization mostly. AMD is too busy making Mantle for BF4 it seems to bother about 300 Linux Steam titles.

Serandur

Only Frostbite 3 engine games will use Mantle.

More engines will probably be added.

If CD Projekt RED also add their support (so I hope, though think it's unlikely), a competitive AMD card will have effectively become a no-brainer purchase to me. Meanwhile, I expect Nvidia to do something to counter AMD and Maxwell is coming out next year, plus they still have the PhysX advantage. Hm... I foresee an interesting GPU war. At least I hope for one, anyway.

antonz

It's great that AMD suddenly feels like it has the balls to try and throw around some weight but come on already.

Titan was nothing more than a way for Nvidia to squeeze extra cash out of the super enthusiasts while they sit and tweak their next generation of GPU because they felt no need to rush with AMD being AMD.

So good job AMD you have now caught up to Nvidias milk the money crowd card. All Nvidia needs to do now is release its next gen of cards.

Derpcrawler

If CD Projekt RED also add their support (so I hope, though think it's unlikely), a competitive AMD card will have effectively become a no-brainer purchase to me. Meanwhile, I expect Nvidia to do something to counter AMD and Maxwell is coming out next year, plus they still have the PhysX advantage. Hm... I foresee an interesting GPU war. At least I hope for one, anyway.

CD Project is using PhysX in Witcher 3 (nextgen wolf fur).

riflen

It's great that AMD suddenly feels like it has the balls to try and throw around some weight but come on already.

Titan was nothing more than a way for Nvidia to squeeze extra cash out of the super enthusiasts while they sit and tweak their next generation of GPU because they felt no need to rush with AMD being AMD.

So good job AMD you have now caught up to Nvidias milk the money crowd card. All Nvidia needs to do now is release its next gen of cards.

Yes, but nvidia will not have a 20nm product come march, so there will be no 15-20% performance increase because of process shrink. The improvements will need to come from elsewhere in the design. All information says that moving GPUs to 20nm is going to be rather diificult to say the least.

I'd love maxwell to impress, because I'm waiting to jump from the 500 series, but at the moment we have very little info. The R9 290X looks like a very decent card, especially if the $600-$650 price point is accurate.

Serandur

CD Project is using PhysX in Witcher 3 (nextgen wolf fur).

Yes, I know. It's literally the largest thing making going with AMD difficult for me. Accursed proprietary garbage...

I want to be able to go with a Gigabyte 7970 so badly, but I also want to play The Witcher 3 at its best. :/

dr_rus

It's not about income. It's about "which hardware matters most to game developers".
Most of Xbox 360 games ran better on 8800GTX than on 2900XT. 360 is using an ATI GPU. It will be the same this time. Doesn't matter what hardware is in a console - PC hardware is leagues above that already and the fight is completely different here.

That CPU will be plenty. The "Recommended" specs are 8GB of RAM and 3GB of VRAM. Grab one of the newer cards that have at 3GB of RAM or more and you should be more than fine. Given recent announcements and partnerships it seems one of the new AMD cards might be a good choice, particularly for Battlefield.

good news, thanks

problem i have is that its a mini tower and space is tight apparently, i read that someone has fit a 560gtx ti into it (It has a 9" PCB and the fan overhangs that so the total length is 10")... and someone else states the 5770 is 220mm and fits. i will be upgrading early next yr so hopefully amd will have something for me by then or in the pipeline... maybe wait for 20nm?

it has 6gb of ddr3... would 8gb ddr5 be a good choice of upgrade? considering my processor is only a i5-3470

will buying a ssd be a good choice too?

kitch9

Banned

20nm is not ready, unlees you think Nvidia are magic. I'm looking at this current situation and thinking Nvidia are in the shit a bit...

Toski

20nm is not ready, unlees you think Nvidia are magic.

I wonder why people think an Nvidia refresh is around the corner? The GTX 700 series just came out earlier this year. When TSMC gets its 20nm fabs up and running, there's going to be a mad rush between Qualcomm, Apple, Nvidia, AMD, and others; we probably won't see 20nm graphics cards until this time next year if we're lucky.

Ty4on

good news, thanks

problem i have is that its a mini tower and space is tight apparently, i read that someone has fit a 560gtx ti into it (It has a 9" PCB and the fan overhangs that so the total length is 10")... and someone else states the 5770 is 220mm and fits. i will be upgrading early next yr so hopefully amd will have something for me by then or in the pipeline... maybe wait for 20nm?

it has 6gb of ddr3... would 8gb ddr5 be a good choice of upgrade? considering my processor is only a i5-3470

will buying a ssd be a good choice too?
Go to the PC thread.

6GB RAM with dual channel memory is sort of a scam. You should have 2/4/8/16 etc. etc. to get the full bandwidth. SSD will make games load much quicker and the system a lot snappier. You can't get DDR5 for CPUs yet, DDR4 has only been demoed so far.

Serandur

20nm is not ready, unlees you think Nvidia are magic. I'm looking at this current situation and thinking Nvidia are in the shit a bit...

I wonder why people think an Nvidia refresh is around the corner? The GTX 700 series just came out earlier this year. When TSMC gets its 20nm fabs up and running, there's going to be a mad rush between Qualcomm, Apple, Nvidia, AMD, and others; we probably won't see 20nm graphics cards until this time next year if we're lucky.

This is disappointing. If they're not going to be 20nm cards, what kind of performance improvements can we expect from them?

Rafterman

Banned
Price, release date, real world benchmarks, or shut the fuck up.

This.

Your paper launches don't impress me AMD. Where are the benchmarks? And not just in the one game that you and DICE have squeezed every ounce of power out of your cards with, a nice round up of games.

I wonder why people think an Nvidia refresh is around the corner?

You don't think they've been working too? Their pricing scheme and the cards they have released have all been because AMD couldn't keep up. I have no doubt they have a faster card(s) already in the pipe line and been waiting for a little competition. There hasn't been a reason for them to release or even reveal anything new because they own the top end market.

kinggroin

Banned
This seems worrisome to me. The only way nvidia can compete is to come up with their own API now. Then we will have 4 APIs for Developers to focus on. DirectX, OpenGL, Mantle, Nvidia API. Not to mention the different APIs for the consoles

Seems like a mess.

Its not.

If you're a smart developer, you always support the api that works for everyone anyway.

If you're one tied to a publisher that hates money, then you get moneyhatted and develop for only one proprietary api.

I'd like to believe 99% of games will land in the first scenario.

kitch9

Banned
Its not.

If you're a smart developer, you always support the api that works for everyone anyway.

If you're one tied to a publisher that hates money, then you get moneyhatted and develop for only one proprietary api.

I'd like to believe 99% of games will land in the first scenario.

If the consoles are using a form of Mantle then it will get used by default on PC - Console ports then devs will have to port over to DX from there for the Nvidia crowd if thats what Nvidia insist on. (I'm part of the Nvidia crowd currently with 2x670's.)

Mantle looks to remove a lot of the MASSIVE DX bloat on the PC, Nvidia have their work cut out. They could create their own API but its on its own.... Mantle could be used on millions of consoles before even the PC is thought about.

If BF4 is massively better on AMD hardware, the scales could swiftly shift in AMD's favour.

Toski

You don't think they've been working too? Their pricing scheme and the cards they have released have all been because AMD couldn't keep up. I have no doubt they have a faster card(s) already in the pipe line and been waiting for a little competition. There hasn't been a reason for them to release or even reveal anything new because they own the top end market.

GTX 800 launch is probably next year at 20nm, same as AMD with the R9-390X. As you said, Nvidia owns the high-end and overall GPU marketshare, so I expect Nvidia to ride out the GTX 700 until 20nm. The only way I see Nvidia launching a "TITAN Ultra" at 28nm is if they think people will buy it, and its hands the R9-290X it ass when comparing DX vs Mantle, just so they can claim the crown.

kartu

Banned
Most of Xbox 360 games ran better on 8800GTX than on 2900XT. 360 is using an ATI GPU. It will be the same this time. Doesn't matter what hardware is in a console - PC hardware is leagues above that already and the fight is completely different here.

I'm not sure I get your point.
AMD being on major consoles and quite presen tin PC market could well lead to "Mantle" being intensively used. This would mean you are better of with AMD card even if you're a PC gamer.

I doubt anyone was doing low level optimizations for 2900XT in 360 times.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EXCELLENT. My next GPU purchase is tilting in favor of AMD. They are back in a big way if this kind of stuff pans out.

Top Bottom