• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD rep: Radeon R9 290X running with Mantle API will "ridicule" Titan in Battlefied 4

kitch9

Banned
+1. AMD couldn't have pulled off these kind of shenanigans if they hadn't locked down the consoles. If it was just PC that would have started an API cold war. If you're just a PC dev then Mantle won't matter. If you're a multi platform dev, then it has the potential to be the only game in town. After all, even if Nvidia spins their own low-level API it will be PC-only. Why would you want that? When you can have "more and more".

"Open" in this sense means it's not just AMD PCs only. It's also AMD-based Consoles as well.

They would have to port of dx anyway, but if mantle just works because of the console version why not include it as an option?

kartu

Banned
I can't grasp how AMD could pull off "PC multiplatform" part of it.

Mantle on Win PC, PS4 and XBone => only nVidia is worried, can work
Mantle on Win AND UNIX PC (think SteamBox), PS4 and Xbone => nVidia, Microsoft, Sony are worried, how could this possibly work?

AMD will have to play against Valve, me thinks.

Uh no. That's actually much lower margin than the PC gpu space. AMD was in the Wii and 360 last gen. They didn't make amywhere near the amount NVidia did. In fact, they posted more than a few losses.

Back then they sold license, now they are selling silicon. It used to be only GPU now it's both. And now it's on both major platforms too.
They said in 2 years they expect half of their revenue NOT to come from PC world.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah guys, consoles haven't exactly been a goldmine for AMD. They've been posting quarterly loss after quarterly loss while nVidia and Intel are constantly posting record profits.

dr_rus

I'm not sure I get your point.
AMD being on major consoles and quite presen tin PC market could well lead to "Mantle" being intensively used. This would mean you are better of with AMD card even if you're a PC gamer.

I doubt anyone was doing low level optimizations for 2900XT in 360 times.
Let's wait and see a) what kind of improvements are we talking about with Mantle and b) if anyone besides DICE (who basically made it) will ever use it. Until then it's pointless to talk about who's better with what as a PC gamer. I myself would like to play The Witcher 3 with PhysX for example and if I'll get a Titan while you get a 7970 I don't think that you'd be better off even with Mantle in each and every new title.

Top Bottom