• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread 2: I Got 99 Pre-orders But A Rosalina Ain't One

Status
Not open for further replies.

kierwynn

is best buy generally reliable with their pre orders?

It seems pretty YMMV- I've seen people mention their Best Buy's doing stuff like selling their in store pick up preorders and what not, but then some people have had zero problems. My Best Buy has been super on top of everything and great, so I've had no bad experiences through them.

Got gamestop open and typed "amiibo" into the search bar. I'm just going to keep refreshing this page until they start putting up the new ones I guess.

Hey guys, I was curious if any of you feel there's a problem with Amiibos and the trends they're introducing to gaming? To be fair they're not the first--it was Skylanders that started it, right?

I'd like to see what you guys think. Mostly everyone loves these things, and I myself see it as an ingenious way for Nintendo recoup their sales, but I also think that if left unchecked, this trend could ultimately water down gaming.

I'm not 100% sure on how this could happen. All in all Amiibos seem neat, but also cheap and gimmicky to me.

What do you guys think?

Mononoke

Banned
Oh shit, I didn't know you guys expected Wave 4 to be up already? Today? Even though Wave 3 hasn't been out yet?

I'm new to all of this. So I didn't know that they overlapped Waves like tthat.

CH4OS

Dam, that Monster Hunter 3DS XL looks REALLY nice too! Can anyone find pics of it opened though? All I'm finding are pictures of it displayed closed.

Maengun1

Amiibo pre-orders don't sell out that fast, do they? It was my understanding that the craze over Waves 1 and 2 was largely due to people not realizing pre-ordering would be so important until after it was no longer possible.

AFAIK Gamestop and Amazon both had Wave 3 pre-orders up for several weeks. I just pre-ordered wave 3 at the end of December after they had been announced for a while.

I really want a Ness amiibo, and I'm gonna pre-order him ASAP (today, if he goes up), but it's not like I need to be F5'ing constantly is it?

LostAnkh

April isn't going to be pretty on the wallet, and it not just the extra copies of Lucina/Robin/Ness.

Also, I kinda feel bad for the people paying up to $160 on Marth. You should have waited...

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Amiibo pre-orders don't sell out that fast, do they? It was my understanding that the craze over Waves 1 and 2 was largely due to people not realizing pre-ordering would be so important until after it was no longer possible.

AFAIK Gamestop and Amazon both had Wave 3 pre-orders up for several weeks. I just pre-ordered wave 3 at the end of December after they had been announced for a while.

I really want a Ness amiibo, and I'm gonna pre-order him ASAP (today, if he goes up), but it's not like I need to be F5'ing constantly is it?

There was an amiibo called Rosalina once. They will sell out fast. Especially Ness I imagine.

Any retailer exclusives in America for wave 4?

SalvaPot

Amiibo support for Codename STEAM, lets you unlock the characters to be playable on the game and add them to your party.

yK3XnLd.jpg

Kito

Sent my Peach amiibo from Amazon UK back because it was in bad condition, tried with Argos and they gave me worse. Looked in HMV today (3 left) and same old same old, one of them actually had a shit box but the figure itself was immaculate. The hunt continues. I only want Peach, Rosalina, and Dark Pit from the smash roster.

Nintendo's sloppy QA means I won't be pre-ordering amiibo. Need to do my own QA in the shop.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I want multiples of Ness.

Favorite character. My main in Smash 4. Favorite series. Favorite game.

I want one for my desk.

I need Ness.

Seik

Banned
Amiibo support for Codename STEAM, lets you unlock the characters to be playable on the game and add them to your party.

yK3XnLd.jpg

Whaaaat?! For real?!

I wasn't able to watch the ND since I was at work but holy shit this is awesome!!!

Also, none of wave 4 are available in Canada anywhere already, right?

Also 2, I will buy 2 Ness, one to display and one that I'll melt for transfusion directly in my veins.
I will die.

kierwynn

There was an amiibo called Rosalina once. They will sell out fast. Especially Ness I imagine.

Any retailer exclusives in America for wave 4?

I don't think we would have had nearly as many issues with Rosalina had she not been a Target exclusive- pretty much any place but Target (and def if she hadn't been an exclusive at all) would have probably led to a much different outcome.

Ozium

first time using that nowinstock.net site and I have no idea what is going on.. I have alarms turned on, and put Pac-Man in my items, but the alarm is going off every minute.. when I look at 'my items' I see all amiibos - ebay is listed, and there's no way to turn the alarm off for that or get rid of it...

does anyone know a way to get this to work? I just want to know when pac-man is up :/

Gurrry

Just watched the direct, had a heart attack. Cant believe the majoras mask 3ds is already sold out. Where else can I find one?

And are the new amiibos really going on sale today?

Ludist210

Deeke[VRZ];147402125 said:
Hey guys, I was curious if any of you feel there's a problem with Amiibos and the trends they're introducing to gaming? To be fair they're not the first--it was Skylanders that started it, right?

I'd like to see what you guys think. Mostly everyone loves these things, and I myself see it as an ingenious way for Nintendo recoup their sales, but I also think that if left unchecked, this trend could ultimately water down gaming.

I'm not 100% sure on how this could happen. All in all Amiibos seem neat, but also cheap and gimmicky to me.

What do you guys think?
I don't have a problem with it in this instance. It's not content you need to progress in a game, plus the figures are cool to look at. Same with Skylanders and Disney Infinity. You don't HAVE to get them all. Get what you like.

We need a buddy system implemented or something to notify other users when their desired website gets pre orders up so none of us misses out on them.

If I miss out on Lucina and Robin, I'm going to lose it.

Hatchtag

Banned

What do you guys think?

NFC figures have a problem of either devaluing themselves or a game. Skylander's and Disney Infinity are devalued because they are barely playable without figures. The other solution is to make a game that is free and sell figures for it. Nintendo, however, has come up with a solution that does not devalue games while also not devaluing the figures. Instead of locking large content to Amiibos, they've locked small content across several different games. If they start locking big content, it could be bad, but as for now, it's a pretty genius way of making money while not harming games.

I woke up late and missed the Direct. Pre-orders are not up yet for these yet are they? I need Lucina, Robin, and Toad at the very least. And what's this about a Marth restock?

Just watched the direct, had a heart attack. Cant believe the majoras mask 3ds is already sold out. Where else can I find one?

And are the new amiibos really going on sale today?

Head to a gamestop directly and ask them about it, the Majora's Mask new 3ds I mean. It may be the same situation that the LE of the game itself was in, where they just cut it off online and you can still do the online in store order, where you have to pay the full amount for the game right there to get a preorder in.

Salamando

What do you guys think?

Disney Infinity and Skylanders are fine. They're transparent. You know what you're in for before you buy anything.

Amiibo are far more annoying. As we see with Code Name Steam and Mario Party, they allow previous Amiibo to be used in future games. Couple this with their supply issues, you're encouraged to buy them all, just in case an upcoming game uses them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom