• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread 2: I Got 99 Pre-orders But A Rosalina Ain't One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I don't think we would have had nearly as many issues with Rosalina had she not been a Target exclusive- pretty much any place but Target (and def if she hadn't been an exclusive at all) would have probably led to a much different outcome.

While I agree with you, Rosalina set the precedent that you need to pre-order right away or potentially miss out. Scalpers are in this thing now.

Jagsrock

Banned
Can't wait for ness and pacman, I'm gonna hold of on the rest of wave 4 though. Charizard and wario will be common and robin/Lucina will probably be derpy lol.

Mononoke

Banned
I´m not worried about how limited the Majora´s Mask edition will be.

The Monster Hunter version, in the other hand...

Damn. Should have went for the Monster Hunter one :p

Majoras is one of my fav games of all time. I already have the Link Between Two Worlds gold XL. That is why I chose the Majora one to continue it.

I actually hated how the ALBTW version had the gold on the inside. And while I hate the glossy finger print magnet lid, I think the darker toned gold will look sexier this way. So I hope I made the right choice.

Still blown away they aren't selling the smaller 3DS with faceplates. Like wow.

kierwynn

While I agree with you, Rosalina set the precedent that you need to pre-order right away or potentially miss out. Scalpers are in this thing now.

Scalpers were in it even before Rosalina. Pretty sure the rarity of Marth/Villager/WFT is what set that precedent. Target just did everything wrong by putting up preorders randomly at 3am and by not having a limit on how many you could order. Now, I'm not saying there is going to be an abundant supply, but I don't really think it's going to be as bad as Rosalina. (Though, honestly, I won't be surprised if it is- NOA has been making a lot of bad decisions recently.) The one I see being the biggest issue would be Ness since he is not nearly as well known as the rest of them. Of course, I could be very wrong, but I am going to hope it won't be as bad as people are fearing.

Celestia

So we just sit around hoping, praying, and refreshing until preorders are up? No date or anything?

I can already see why this is maddening.

SalvaPot

tumblr_ni68xygfyk1t1j1quo1_500.gif

Fox Mulder

Missing out on preorders isnt the end of the world if Nintendo can keep target stocked. She's being used in Mario party too, so people will have to be able to buy her.

Anyone wanna take guesses as to the order of rarity for wave 4? Here's my prediction from rarest to most common.

Ness (Rarest)
Robin/Lucina (S.T.E.A.M makes me think they'll stock enough so they're uncommon but not impossible)
Pac-Man
Wario
Charizard

bumpkin

Will preorder wave 4 at bestbuy! that 20% discount is just too damn good!
If I go through Best Buy, I'm definitely not making the mistake of doing in-store pickup. I did it for all of waves 1 and 2 and didn't get 2 or 3 from each. For fear of getting screwed again, I preordered second copies of my wave 3 must-haves from GameStop as a backup. They might be pushy assholes with questionable business practices, but I've never been screwed on a preorder from them.

zroid

Banned
There's no firm release date for Rosalina is there? Since you can't pre-order it in Canada I just want to be able to know I can go to Target on its release date. Unfortunately there's no Target close-by so I can't just do a daily check-in or whatever...

SalvaPot

Anyone wanna take guesses as to the order of rarity for wave 4? Here's my prediction from rarest to most common.

Ness (Rarest)
Robin/Lucina (S.T.E.A.M makes me think they'll stock enough so they're uncommon but not impossible)
Pac-Man
Wario
Charizard

Honestly? The only commons I see from this wave are Charizard and Wario, with Pac-Man as available as Diddy.

I think we have another Wave 2 situation here, when half the wave is going to be stupid hard to find.

Challenge accepted.

Best Buy has delivered all my amiibos successfully via ship to home every time. If u order from best buy don't do pick up at store or else you might not get it.

Drago

I wonder if scanning Wario and Lucina into Smash WiiU automatically unlocks the characters. This is the first wave with secret characters in it.

Also I'm so happy that wave 4 is only 6 characters... makes it easier on the wallet >_>

Illucio

Banned
My guess of Wave 4's Rarity:

Rare:
Lucina (Scalpers will be the only reason.)
Ness (There are a ton of Mother fans, and the stock will be low because Nintendo hates Mother fans.)
Robin (All depending on stock, but considering Robin isn't needed for any other games yet but Lucina, Ike, and Marth are just means he will have a low initial stock.)

Uncommon:
Wario

Common:
Charizard
Pac-Man

SalvaPot

My guess of Wave 4's Rarity:

Rare:
Lucina (Scalpers will be the only reason.)
Ness (There are a ton of Mother fans, and the stock will be low because Nintendo hates Mother fans.)
Robin (All depending on stock, but considering Robin isn't needed for any other games yet but Lucina, Ike, and Marth are just means he will have a low initial stock.)

Uncommon:
Wario

Common:
Charizard
Pac-Man

Robin is compatible with Codename STEAM

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
In talking with my Amiibo-crazy friends, the compromise I've arrived at to avoid spending literally $1000+ dollars is to buy every Amiibo, but not buy duplicate Amiibos of that character.

So I'll buy Smash Peach, Mario, DK, etc but not the Mario Party versions. But I will buy the Mario Party Toad, since that's the only Toad that's been released.

Basically one version of each character - then I'm done. A middle ground would be stuff like Raccoon Mario and all those shenanigans that we may see down the line, if Amiibos continue to sell well.

Sad for no Ganondorf this wave. :(

But happy for Charizard and Lucina! :)

The Mario series new ones don't really excite me very much, I've got so many 'regular' Mario figures that look just like them.

kierwynn

I need Nessss. What color 3DS is everyone getting? I'm probably going with Black.

I can't decide- I hate the red and I don't like the black much. I want lighter, happier colors. :( I have a MH LE preordered (it's the least ugly), but I am leaning towards going for the plain black until a cuter color comes out. (Plus I can preorder black in store at gamestop and trade my old XL in for $100 credit which is very tempting...)

ChrisD

I need Nessss. What color 3DS is everyone getting? I'm probably going with Black.

I've wanted the Monster Hunter LE since it released in Japan months ago. But I can't afford the whole payment at this very moment, and pre-orders are definitely going to sell out before today is over. So it looks like I'm not getting any color.

Pros: Saving Money!
Cons: Because I don't have it.

Disney Infinity and Skylanders are fine. They're transparent. You know what you're in for before you buy anything.

Amiibo are far more annoying. As we see with Code Name Steam and Mario Party, they allow previous Amiibo to be used in future games. Couple this with their supply issues, you're encouraged to buy them all, just in case an upcoming game uses them.

See, Skylanders and Disney Infinity lock game content behind a paywall - you have to buy the figure to play as the character. You have to buy the levels, powerups, everything. It's insidious in the worst way - sell an empty game and then charge absurdly huge amounts for basic content.

Games that support Amiibos - so far - are complete games where the entire experience is available to the user right off the bat. Buying Amiibos only enhanves the gameplay, nothing is inaccessible if you don't buy them. How is that more annoying?

rjinaz

I chuckled when they announced a Marth reprint. Suck it scalpers.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with these 30 extra Marths I bought. Sigh.

No actually I do have a couple of extra Villagers though. I'm hoping they don't do a reprint as a collector but I can certainly understand why people would want a reprint of all amiibos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom