• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lonely1 said:
Do any of the DD sites with discounts offer the Linux version? I wont to give it to my brother, he does have Windows but he prefers to boot into Linux.
The Frictional website does, as well Penumbra for all three OS.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I bought this directly from Frictional and didn't get any code that works with Steam. I thought you got a Steam key when you bought from them?

EDIT: Apparently they only did this for pre orders. Son of a bitch.

Y2Kev said:
Well I just played like an hour and almost shit my pants twice. I think I'm really hard to scare, too. Genius design with some of the tricks it plays on you. I can't believe the number of times I've had this "someone is watching me..." feeling. I turn around quickly and there's a chair behind me that looks just close enough to be someone standing over my shoulder. And the sound design is just fantastic.

It's not all scary all the time, but the moments when it gets tense are just incredible. I have not been this scared since Condemned, and it was not a similar type of scary.

I think I've seen TWO total enemies this far. What they've managed to do with no enemies and no combat is just amazing.

You just convinced me to buy this game. Thank you.

No_Style

Just started it. Kinda enjoying the atmosphere, but I feel like it's too forced. Enjoying the insanity effects though.

Also, did anyone manage to get VSYNC to work w/o forcing via CCC? I've also crashed for no reason already.

Max

I am not Max
No_Style said:
Just started it. Kinda enjoying the atmosphere, but I feel like it's too forced. Enjoying the insanity effects though.

Also, did anyone manage to get VSYNC to work w/o forcing via CCC? I've also crashed for no reason already.
D3DOverrider works for vsync, I didn't even know it was broken since I always have it on

No_Style

Max said:
D3DOverrider works for vsync, I didn't even know it was broken since I always have it on

Yeah. It causes the game to crash if you toggle it on. I had to go into the config file and manually turn it off for the game to launch properly again.

---

Anyways, just got my first real scare!
Zombie thing appearing behind me and then vaporized into dust
Loved it.

I think the game would have been better served without the voiceovers though.

HK-47 said:
How is an atmosphere forced?

The continuous background noise. It felt like they were trying too hard to set the mood. I think the absence of sound is more powerful.

BTW, is there any harm with running around? I'm being very stingy with my items so I'm running light source to light source.

ataboada

HK-47 said:
It can be played on Mac and Linux.

Wow, I just went from excited to frustrated in three clicks.

First click, see your response
Second click, Buy Game link
Third click, About this Mac: Intel GMA 950 graphics + 1 GB RAM

I had never considered how underpowered my MacBook was until now =(.

No_Style

Oh man. This game is leaving me tingling all over.

Running through the water whipping doors with that water monster chasing me down was so damn tense! I had to stop after I found the Back Hall. Perfect sanctuary after all that tension. Loving it!

Not so endearing are the crashes. :(

Seriously killing the mood! Any tips to make it stop? Any known problematic settings? It's not constant, but it does happen once in awhile. I had to replay an entire section because of a crash.

Zeliard

I'm rather tipsy right now having had quite a day, and I'm thinking of jumping back into this.

Probably a mistake playing this after some alcohol, but hey. Heart attacks are always fun. And 'tis the season.

No_Style

Catalyst 10.10

It wasn't just crashes either. The game bugged out once after I was "killed" by the
water monster
. Screen went black, but I was able to move the cursor around and bring up inventory screen. I reloaded and it was fine.

With the sale this weekend, bought a copy for a friend, might buy another for my brother. It is hard to recommend this to people, though.

"Do you like games where you feel absolutely helpless and frightened 80% of the time?"

Zeliard

Mr. Snrub said:
With the sale this weekend, bought a copy for a friend, might buy another for my brother. It is hard to recommend this to people, though.

"Do you like games where you feel absolutely helpless and frightened 80% of the time?"

Should be easy enough to recommend. Fear in a safe setting is amazing - it's why scary movies can be so popular. I wish more media could effectively freak me out.

Is the actual game better than the demo? It honestly was incredibly boring. I kept waiting for a scary section but it never came.

The M.O.B

ratcliffja said:
Is the actual game better than the demo? It honestly was incredibly boring. I kept waiting for a scary section but it never came.

I'm assuming you followed the required dark room and good headphones etiquette?

Honestly if the demo really did absolutely nothing for you, then the game just isn't for you. :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked this up off of Impulse for $10 along with the Penumbra pack (also $10). I played a bit of Amnesia, and damn, even thought it's still morning and bright outside the game is creeping me out! Good stuff!

Xapati

This game is awesome :D

I was just in the spare machine parts room
and I just picked up the spare rods when I hear a noise. So I wait a bit and everything is quiet. I go out and start to walk down a pitch black corridor still worried that there might be something around. I light the lantern, and three feet in front of me is some kind of shambling monster. I completely freaked :lol Fortunately I managed to run away.

elseanio

Halloween, lights off, headphones in. I lasted just over an hour :lol

The point I stopped
I got a hint saying 'If you see an enemy, hide'. I knew the next room was gonna be bad! I ran into a corner, turned around.. and sure enough, a monster was standing at the end of the room. I kill my lantern, and my insanity just takes over.

I tried to carry on, but then ran out of oil. Decided to save and exit :( Love the game so far!

I just finished my first hour or so session. D: I decided to end my session once I made it inside the refinery. >_> My whole body feels drained, and I didn't even play it in the dark!
elseanio said:
Halloween, lights off, headphones in. I lasted just over an hour :lol

The point I stopped
I got a hint saying 'If you see an enemy, hide'. I knew the next room was gonna be bad! I ran into a corner, turned around.. and sure enough, a monster was standing at the end of the room. I kill my lantern, and my insanity just takes over.

I tried to carry on, but then ran out of oil. Decided to save and exit :( Love the game so far!
:lol I think I stopped right before that part. I guess I know what to look forward to when I play again... D:

Ledsen

I bought this on the sale against my better judgement, then I played for 30 minutes and when I went to bed I was nervous and afraid of the dark :(

Yeah, don't decide to start playing this game alone in a darkened room on Hallowe'en night. Jesus Christ. I didn't even get that far, just got
the wine cellar key, a door banged open behind me, and I jumped in a cupboard for a few seconds before hammering esc and quitting.

Must do better.

Haunted

Y2Kev said:
I think I've seen TWO total enemies this far. What they've managed to do with no enemies and no combat is just amazing.
Yes.

Not being able to even look at the enemies is such a genius move.

Got this over the weekend and played through the whole thing--couldn't pull myself away.

The absolute worst for me was
the storage area for the Back Hall? It was the place where the darkness felt close and "unnatural". I didn't really know what to do down there so I kept getting caught by the brutes. But god damn, the first time I got spotted by one and it just kept coming for me I felt my whole body tingle and I just froze for a few seconds. When I finally did react all I did was cringe (I actually put my fists over my head) and turn away from the screen while I died.

This fucking game. Just incredible.

oracrest

Dusted off my steam account, and bought this, but couldn't really play it. It was chugging hard even at medium settings.

I will just have to put it off until I get a better machine I guess :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
oracrest said:
Dusted off my steam account, and bought this, but couldn't really play it. It was chugging hard even at medium settings.

I will just have to put it off until I get a better machine I guess :(

Or perhaps turn it down to low...?

oracrest

Sinatar said:
Or perhaps turn it down to low...?

I would, but it's starting to look pretty bad at medium. I will try later. psychological horror is a favorite, so I will get to it eventually, I just want it to look real good too.

kharma45

This game creeps me the fuck out, I'm being such a pussy with it only being able to play in 10 minute bursts :lol I'll get through it eventually :(

Ledsen

Stupid rope-and-pulley puzzle... I had to look it up and it turns out I found the solution almost immediately, but since
you can't reach the stuck piece of wood from the ground I assumed that wasn't it
and wandered around for 5 mins until I turned it off in frustration :/

elseanio

Dave Inc. said:
Got this over the weekend and played through the whole thing--couldn't pull myself away.

The absolute worst for me was
the storage area for the Back Hall? It was the place where the darkness felt close and "unnatural". I didn't really know what to do down there so I kept getting caught by the brutes. But god damn, the first time I got spotted by one and it just kept coming for me I felt my whole body tingle and I just froze for a few seconds. When I finally did react all I did was cringe (I actually put my fists over my head) and turn away from the screen while I died.

This fucking game. Just incredible.

I've just done that bit.

Storage (unusual dark place):
I was in the Food Hall (?) which has one long counter down the centre, with two doors off to the right. I go into the first room, pick up some stuff, head back out. Edge open the second door..FUCK, MONSTER! Slammed the door, and ran away to hide. I finally stay in enough light to go back.. maybe it's gone? Creep closer to the door.. BANG BANG BANG.. I run away again :lol At the second attempt at getting closer to the door, I figure that maybe this is a game mechanic, and I just can't go that way. I walk past, proud of my courage, as the monster keeps banging away. How wrong was I? He came bursting through the door, I absolutely freak out and run behind the counter, which is so long I now have no idea which way he's walking. I go down the furthest away end, and peak around the corner. ARGH! It's right there. I run away, and glance behind me. IT'S RUNNING TOO!! I didn't know this, so freak out some more. I find a room, get inside.. attempt to close the door, and as I did he smashes right through it. This is the point I actually reacted physically with a scream! I crouch in the corner, and all I can do is weep. Both in game, and in person :(

Most terrifying experience I've had in any game. It wasn't just a jump from a loud noise. It was exhilarating fear.

I finally got see one of the creatures up close in tonight's session.
They are more interesting looking than terrifying. They are definitely no Slenderman. *shudders* So now that I know what they look like the game has lost some of its edge.
I have to admit that the
storage compartment full of bones
in the study really got me. :lol The game wouldn't be so scary if Daniel didn't freak out at the slightest thing. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a dick like Philip in Penumbra. I got to the dungeon and decided to quit for the night. :x

ArjanN

ninj4junpei said:
The game wouldn't be so scary if Daniel didn't freak out at the slightest thing. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a dick like Philip in Penumbra. I got to the dungeon and decided to quit for the night. :x

Daniel is a way more of a dick than Philip. Way more.

Shaneus

Y2Kev said:
Well I just played like an hour and almost shit my pants twice. I think I'm really hard to scare, too. Genius design with some of the tricks it plays on you. I can't believe the number of times I've had this "someone is watching me..." feeling. I turn around quickly and there's a chair behind me that looks just close enough to be someone standing over my shoulder. And the sound design is just fantastic.

It's not all scary all the time, but the moments when it gets tense are just incredible. I have not been this scared since Condemned, and it was not a similar type of scary.

You just said the magic word! Glad I bought it, haven't installed or played yet but all the more looking forward to it now. Thanks!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Any GOOD trailers for this game? The ~4 minute one on Steam doesn't really sell the game at all. I want to show my wife...

Ledsen

GDJustin said:
Any GOOD trailers for this game? The ~4 minute one on Steam doesn't really sell the game at all. I want to show my wife...

I like the "scary gameplay" video on youtube.

Yasae

Banned
Y2Kev said:

:lol Apparently not.

Top Bottom