• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Dascu

HK-47 said:
I wonder if anyone will use the tools.
I would be willing to help out on modelling and animation, given that there's a team with a good idea behind it, so that I won't be wasting my time.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
BobsRevenge said:
Buy direct from Frictional just to give them a little extra money. They have a good service and give you a key to activate on Steam anyways.

The game is really fucking good, so have fun.

Okay I'm a bit confused. From the Frictional Site I have a link to buy it off Steam, which takes me to the Steam site, where I am promised exactly what I like about Steam lately: Mac or PC play, with Steamcloud.

When I click the "Buy from Frictional Store" link, I'm sent to some other site when looks like a one-time download, and offered the opportunity to pay $4.99 to add the eSellerate Download Service, which lets me redownload the game later (up to a year).

This doesn't seem like I'm going to get a Steam activation code to get the cross-platform Steamcloud yadda yadda. So I'm leaning towards Steam. Unless someone can testify I will get the Steam benefits buying it from Frictional direct.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Simply amazing game. I'm all done with it but I will probably play it through again some time soon. Most def. my GOTY, no ifs no buts no coconuts about it. I still think they should have done more with the insanity. I would have perferred that when your sanity level would hit the low point your character would try to harm himself kinda like in Call of Cthulhu game. Still one helluva game :)

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
BobsRevenge said:
Buy direct from Frictional just to give them a little extra money. They have a good service and give you a key to activate on Steam anyways.

Anybody buy from the Frictional site? What's the Steam code get ya, just add it to the library, or the auto-updating, cross-platform, Steamcloud goodness?

Gonna buy this thing in two hours when I get home so now's the time to let me know...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fuzz Rez said:
Simply amazing game. I'm all done with it but I will probably play it through again some time soon. Most def. my GOTY, no ifs no buts no coconuts about it. I still think they should have done more with the insanity. I would have perferred that when your sanity level would hit the low point your character would try to harm himself kinda like in Call of Cthulhu game. Still one helluva game :)

You mean shoot yourself? I dont remember any harming before that. Nor do I think its entire appropriate for the game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Imbarkus said:
Anybody buy from the Frictional site? What's the Steam code get ya, just add it to the library, or the auto-updating, cross-platform, Steamcloud goodness?

Gonna buy this thing in two hours when I get home so now's the time to let me know...
I bought it off Frictional's website and I got a steam code. IIRC it does do all that steam goodness. If you feel weird about it though just pick it up off of steam. Their website isn't really clear on what you're getting and I'm not 100% certain they're still doing the steam thing. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Imbarkus

BobsRevenge said:
I bought it off Frictional's website and I got a steam code. IIRC it does do all that steam goodness. If you feel weird about it though just pick it up off of steam. Their website isn't really clear on what you're getting and I'm not 100% certain they're still doing the steam thing. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Yeah I didn't want to wait for an answer so I bought it off Steam. I know what I'm getting there and I'd like to think Valve wouldn't screw Frictional too badly...

To my understanding it was an act of good faith for pre-orders only.
Imbarkus said:
Yeah I didn't want to wait for an answer so I bought it off Steam. I know what I'm getting there and I'd like to think Valve wouldn't screw Frictional too badly...
I'd guess it's in the region of 15% because they are an independent. Not sure where I read that number, think it was a Gamasutra discussion of digital services and their profitability.

Imbarkus

Visualante said:
I'd guess it's in the region of 15% because they are an independent. Not sure where I read that number, think it was a Gamasutra discussion of digital services and their profitability.

Valve's cut or developer cut?!?

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished this.

First of all, bravo. What a fantastic horror game. I thought both Penumbra games were really good and Amnesia only builds on them to make an even better experience. The graphical upgrade was excellent. The game looked fantastic and that created even better atmosphere than the more simple graphics of Penumbra. The increased use of voice was a good improvement too, especially because the acting was very moody. The Baron nailed that Haunted House Manor Narrator voice and Daniel's emotional voices helped developed the character. The pacing was great, and most of the puzzles were quite good too (Penumbra games always had good puzzles).

And most of all, Amnesia for whatever reason was actually more creepy/frightening than either Penumbra (which were both scary/creepy games!). I think it's the fact that in the Penumbra games the enemies didn't look all that scary and you could usually outrun them to the next load door. Here you're much weaker and slower so you gotta play by the rules.

The only things I missed from Penumbra were the physics puzzles (building a tower to avoid lasers and such was cool), boss fights (although story-wise I don't think they would work here; but they were damn good in Black Plague), and felt like penumbra tended to have more puzzles in general.

I liked that Amnesia was more story focused than Penumbra. I think these guys write good horror so more focus on the story aspect = more enjoyable.

It was also realllllly fucking evil :p

I do have a couple of story questions though if anyone can answer these (or is there just a link to a detailed plot analysis):
1. After Alexander guilt tripped Daniel into fighting the Shadow and Daniel swears revenge. I get that he used the Amnesia potion because he wanted to forget all the atrocities he had done, but how did he end up so far away (the place you start the game). Why did he choose to go all the way far away, write himself a letter than come back down? Or is the idea that when Alexander locked him out of the Inner Sanctum he somehow carried him all the way to the start of the game to face the shadow?

2. I remember one of Alexander's journals (the white screen) talking about how Agrippa went and left him there?? Here's what I got from the stories of non-Daniel people. Alexander comes from another dimension and he wants to get back to see his love and he tries alchemy and all sorts of stuff to build a portal. He tortures people and kills them to get their fear for something and kills people to keep the shadow away so he can use the orbs.

Agrippa was like Daniel where he found an orb and ended up with Alexander. Alexander took his orb and kept his soul alive so his pupil Weyer would come back for Agrippa and open the portal. Weyer was his pupil who upon hearing about the orb set out and found many and for some reason was able to not be cursed by the shadow and use the orbs to go to the other dimension.

The orbs are a remnant from the creation of the universes and hold ultimate power but anyone who gets one is tracked down by a shadow trying to claim it back that kills anything in its way to the orb.

Am I missing something?

and one for people who've played Penumbra and Amnesia:
Are the orbs in Amnesia related to the Relic in Penumbra? The little things you touch in Amnesia to get Alexander's Journal seem mighty similar to the save spots in Penumbra

My favorite scene was the
invisible water monster where you can track it by the splashes. In horror it's so true that the less you see the scarier the experience and so that was awesome :)

And
the prison area was SO SCARY. Pitch black winding corridors with enemy spawns all over. omgomgomg frightening.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Bebpo said:
The only things I missed from Penumbra were the physics puzzles (building a tower to avoid lasers and such was cool)
You didn't actually have to do that :) You could just use the boxes from the other side and deactivate the lasers with the switch puzzle (make all thingies green or something).
It's what I did, but the laser puzzle is sorta trial and error, so yeah. Not really good.

Bebpo

Banned
Well that was just one example :p I thought both Penumbra games were full of neat physics puzzles; reminded me of Half-life 2 puzzles, more free-form, just try whatever and see if it works.

The closest I came to that in Amnesia was throwing some crates under a drop down door to keep it halfway open so I had an easy escape :)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Bebpo said:
I do have a couple of story questions though if anyone can answer these (or is there just a link to a detailed plot analysis):
1. After Alexander guilt tripped Daniel into fighting the Shadow and Daniel swears revenge. I get that he used the Amnesia potion because he wanted to forget all the atrocities he had done, but how did he end up so far away (the place you start the game). Why did he choose to go all the way far away, write himself a letter than come back down? Or is the idea that when Alexander locked him out of the Inner Sanctum he somehow carried him all the way to the start of the game to face the shadow?
My assumption is that he used the descent to remember, sort of as a triggering mechanism, but with a clean conscience because of the potion to make sound decisions.
and one for people who've played Penumbra and Amnesia:
Are the orbs in Amnesia related to the Relic in Penumbra? The little things you touch in Amnesia to get Alexander's Journal seem mighty similar to the save spots in Penumbra
My assumption was there is a connection; so altogether, it's basically the same universe, sort of a Lovecraftian mix. My assumption was also that the touch things actually DO save the game in Amnesia, I didn't really check though.
My favorite scene was the
invisible water monster where you can track it by the splashes. In horror it's so true that the less you see the scarier the experience and so that was awesome :)
My fav is the prison because it fucked me up so much that I had to stop playing for a day.
And
the prison area was SO SCARY. Pitch black winding corridors with enemy spawns all over. omgomgomg frightening.
That's what I'm talking about.

Zenith

Banned

that's where the potions room was.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Asked this in the Frictional forums as well, but here we go:
Anybody know how to properly throw stuff with a Magic Mouse?

Edit: The answer is that you need to configure a key for throwing.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I guess no one posted it so I will. After being a little disappointed with the initial sales, frictional games now are happy. They say that they've recouped all costs already and it will enable them to make another one.:D
Though still, they are not happy about piracy rates, of course, and think that it could've sold more.
While it indeed could've sold more if there was no piracy and that makes me a little sad too, I am glad that at least it was success!
Read a long post about this by frictional games here-

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010/10/one-month-after-amnesias-release.html

They also talk about platform specifics etc. Oh, and they are looking to go multiplat too.

kittoo said:
Though still, they are not happy about piracy rates, of course, and think that it could've sold more.
Out of the five people I know who've played Amnesia, four of them pirated the game. One of them being a semi-"professional" reviewer here in Sweden. (Aka gets a bunch of games for free) Alot of piracy going on in this fucking country.

But I'm glad that they are happy with the sales, they deserve it.

Just bought this in the Impulse sale and only managed to play for an hour before I had to quit. The game has a amazingly creepy atmosphere that was really getting to me, which is pretty much the best compliment I can give to a horror game. Definitely worth the $10 so far.

Rubius

So I made it in the machinery room...
Damn there nothing more scary than seeing the pale look of a monster, running away, closing the door and hiding behind a crate,pressing the croutch button like your life depended on it, hoping he wont see us.
THAT FUCKING NOISE in the darkness. Like the sound of a nail scratching a stone... BRRR
BTW. I'm kinda stuck, I have all 3 rods, everything should work... but no fuel for the burner... tried all the crates and nothing do...
Idea?

owlbeak

Rubius said:
I'm kinda stuck, I have all 3 rods, everything should work... but no fuel for the burner... tried all the crates and nothing do...
Idea?
Look in the rooms near the burner for a source of fuel. I can be more direct if you'd like. :)

Rubius

Horsebite said:
Look in the rooms near the burner for a source of fuel. I can be more direct if you'd like. :)
I searched in the room right next to the burner and found only crates and tools.
Wait a minute...
Shovel + Coal...
Thanks, gonna try that tomorrow. Going to sleep :)

Rubius

Made it to the morgue... and restuck
I need to inject blood from the corpse into my veins. I used the drill to drill his skull and I seem to miss something to use with the needle. Tried to glass pot but NOPE. Any suggestion?Its my first time trying to inject blood from a dead body into my veins you know.

Dascu

Rubius said:
Made it to the morgue... and restuck
I need to inject blood from the corpse into my veins. I used the drill to drill his skull and I seem to miss something to use with the needle. Tried to glass pot but NOPE. Any suggestion?Its my first time trying to inject blood from a dead body into my veins you know.
If I remember correctly, you just need to use the needle on the body and then touch the needle.

Rubius

Damn.
Okay rerestuck.
I got all the Orbs parts, the mushroom and even the Tempter. I just need the fucking vitae he used in gallons.
I just dont know where to find it. I searched every where and the only place left is the place where I need to put the orb. Any idea? The guy look so sad :(

Dascu

Rubius said:
Damn.
Okay rerestuck.
I got all the Orbs parts, the mushroom and even the Tempter. I just need the fucking vitae he used in gallons.
I just dont know where to find it. I searched every where and the only place left is the place where I need to put the orb. Any idea? The guy look so sad :(
Near the room with Agrippa, there should be a well with some kind of monster down there. You need to find a piece of meat to attach to the rope of the well, then lower it down into the water.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Rubius said:
Yay, got 3 of the 4 endings :).
Really good game!
Huh? I only got three endings!
1)
Letting Alexander through
2)
Destroying the pillars
, and
3)
Throwing Agrippa's head in the portal first

What's the fourth? o_O

Shalashaska161 said:
Just bought this in the Impulse sale and only managed to play for an hour before I had to quit. The game has a amazingly creepy atmosphere that was really getting to me, which is pretty much the best compliment I can give to a horror game. Definitely worth the $10 so far.
This is on sale!? Yay! Is Impulse DRM free? I see the Steam version is $14.

Mimir

ninj4junpei said:
This is on sale!? Yay! Is Impulse DRM free? I see the Steam version is $14.
Impulse version is DRM free. I'm not sure why the Steam version is more expensive than both the Impulse and GamersGate versions.

Rubius

SovanJedi said:
Huh? I only got three endings!
1)
Letting Alexander through
2)
Destroying the pillars
, and
3)
Throwing Agrippa's head in the portal first

What's the fourth? o_O
I got the Baddest ending
in the Cell room. If you cant get out in time, the room slowly get invaded by the Red Living stuff. After about... 10 min, you die, and Alexander say "Thanks for your sacrifice, it will not be in vain" And credit. I was focussed on the door and trying to get out by jumping out the little gap... Didnt see the rocks until my reload of my save."
I didnt get the "Letting Alexander go" one. That bastard disturbed me with the Torture room. The fucking Brass Bull.

Hullo there Amnesiacs! Very close to the beginning and I've a question. How careful do I need to be with light-producing resources in this game? The game has instructed me to avoid standing in the dark...but it's everywhere. :p

Holy crap at that blur, man. This game might make me sick. I'd hate to have to turn it off...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
echoshifting said:
Hullo there Amnesiacs! Very close to the beginning and I've a question. How careful do I need to be with light-producing resources in this game? The game has instructed me to avoid standing in the dark...but it's everywhere. :p

Holy crap at that blur, man. This game might make me sick. I'd hate to have to turn it off...
I was very careful and still got low on light at times. But at the end I had plenty un-used. Just don't try to light up everything you see. :)

Lonely1 said:
I was very careful and still got low on light at times. But at the end I had plenty un-used. Just don't try to light up everything you see. :)

Okay, sounds good....thanks for the tip. Not having any concept of the relative value of resources is a major pet peeve of mine in this genre. ;p

owlbeak

Finished beating the game with all three endings and checked out the secret stash of concept art and videos. There is some great stuff in there! I wish more developers would do that.

peull

As you can see with my avatar, I'm a fan of horror games where your character can do nothing or almost nothing to his pursuers... Read the thread and bought it! Downloading now!

owlbeak

echoshifting said:

I think a lot of the tension in this game builds on being in the dark and you have limited tinderboxes and lamp oil, so you need to make strategic decisions about what to use your light sources on. It's better to light a candle in a room you'll be solving a puzzle in than to light a torch in a hallway you'll run through once or twice.

That was a small touch that added a lot of fear and dread to the game. When my lamp would go out and I had no tinderboxes, I literally panicked. :D

ArjanN

Horsebite said:
I think a lot of the tension in this game builds on being in the dark and you have limited tinderboxes and lamp oil, so you need to make strategic decisions about what to use your light sources on. It's better to light a candle in a room you'll be solving a puzzle in than to light a torch in a hallway you'll run through once or twice.

That was a small touch that added a lot of fear and dread to the game. When my lamp would go out and I had no tinderboxes, I literally panicked. :D

It's funny because you're
actually generally safer in the dark. If you create light everywhere you're just reducing the number of places you can hide. After the (very dark) prison area is over you'll barely even need tinderboxes any more though.

I bought it from the Frictional site, and I got no Steam code. Emailed them also, and they said you don't get Steam codes when you buy it off the site.

Brannon

Go in expecting a 'oooh scary' Resident Evil experience, come out having the stoic jadedness beaten out of me one strand at a time for the second night in a row. Past the elevator and I'm going to have to save the rest for tomorrow night.

I don't want this feeling to end, but at the same time I don't want to look around the corner...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well I just played like an hour and almost shit my pants twice. I think I'm really hard to scare, too. Genius design with some of the tricks it plays on you. I can't believe the number of times I've had this "someone is watching me..." feeling. I turn around quickly and there's a chair behind me that looks just close enough to be someone standing over my shoulder. And the sound design is just fantastic.

It's not all scary all the time, but the moments when it gets tense are just incredible. I have not been this scared since Condemned, and it was not a similar type of scary.

I think I've seen TWO total enemies this far. What they've managed to do with no enemies and no combat is just amazing.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of the DD sites with discounts offer the Linux version? I wont to give it to my brother, he does have Windows but he prefers to boot into Linux.

Top Bottom