• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

RedSwirl

I just played around 90 minutes of this game. No. Just, no. I don't know if I can do this. It’s basically “No way I’m going in there: the game”. The worst part is that I've only seen one enemy so far.

I’m not even playing “the way it’s supposed to be played. It’s daytime (but the blinds are closed) and I’m not playing with headphones (thought of waiting till I got my A40s). Shit man how long is this game?

RedSwirl said:
I just played around 90 minutes of this game. No. Just, no. I don't know if I can do this. It’s basically “No way I’m going in there: the game”. The worst part is that I've only seen one enemy so far.

I’m not even playing “the way it’s supposed to be played. It’s daytime (but the blinds are closed) and I’m not playing with headphones (thought of waiting till I got my A40s). Shit man how long is this game?
Play until the store room. If you quit then, you have my respect. If you carry on you have my admiration. But quitting before the storage room is very small time.
Imbarkus said:
Valve's cut or developer cut?!?
Sorry for not replying sooner, thread exploded over Halloween. That would be Valve's cut of 15%. And it's just my speculation, console download services tend to be higher even for independents, and I would assume major publishers pay a cut more on par with what retailers take for boxed product.

Max

I am not Max
RedSwirl said:

Took me almost 8 hours. Might take you twice that :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ninj4junpei said:
I finally got see one of the creatures up close in tonight's session.
They are more interesting looking than terrifying. They are definitely no Slenderman. *shudders* So now that I know what they look like the game has lost some of its edge.

Lucky you, then.
They get replaced by worse things later on.

I finished the game in one last burst last night with all three endings. Overall it wasn't that scary. Sure the first hour or so was rather scary because everything was new, but eventually it became fairly predictable. Now it was definitely a tense experience like
running away from the shadow in that one segment.
The insanity meter was on the tedious side. I was hoping the morgue would be creepier, but all it turned out to be was a
sausage fest. Frictional Games sure loves the peins.
I was disappointed that they didn't explain
where the creatures came from, or if they did I missed it. I kept expecting to see one of the dead bodies start transforming into one or something.
I didn't end up disliking Daniel unlike Phillip. I appreciated that there were multiple endings. The voice acting was good, though Daniel's voice actor in particular tended to overact at times.

It was a good experience, though I think I prefer the modern setting of the Penumbra series better. I definitely look forward to what Frictional Games does next. :D
SovanJedi said:
Lucky you, then.
They get replaced by worse things later on.
I didn't get to see any of those up close. Though wasn't there only like two of them in the game?

Amir0x

Banned
Fuck this game. FUUUUUCK this game. I almost never get scared in games. Interestingly, one of the only times I ever remember getting scared was during Tomb Raider, when I was walking through a dark dark corridor and a fucking raptor jumped out and I jumped out of my seat so high that I landed and injured my leg so bad that I couldn't walk for a week.

Er, um, in any event.... THIS game has made me jump like two or three times in the short time I've played it. Freaky as shit the atmosphere this game has is A++

ninj4junpei said:
I finished the game in one last burst last night with all three endings. Overall it wasn't that scary. Sure the first hour or so was rather scary because everything was new, but eventually it became fairly predictable. Now it was definitely a tense experience like
running away from the shadow in that one segment.
The insanity meter was on the tedious side. I was hoping the morgue would be creepier, but all it turned out to be was a
sausage fest. Frictional Games sure loves the peins.
I was disappointed that they didn't explain
where the creatures came from, or if they did I missed it. I kept expecting to see one of the dead bodies start transforming into one or something.
I didn't end up disliking Daniel unlike Phillip. I appreciated that there were multiple endings. The voice acting was good, though Daniel's voice actor in particular tended to overact at times.

It was a good experience, though I think I prefer the modern setting of the Penumbra series better. I definitely look forward to what Frictional Games does next. :D

I didn't get to see any of those up close. Though wasn't there only like two of them in the game?

This is pretty much how I felt too. The one thing the game does really badly is that the abundance of save points means that there really isn't any penalty for dying, so by the end of the game I didn't really feel the tension so much. It doesn't help that, near the end,
the creatures are faster than you and kill you in one hit, so the frantic struggle to escape is ultimately pointless once you've been spotted. I took to just standing still and letting them slice me so I could come back to a reset map where they probably weren't in my way any more.

Still one of my favourites for the year.

edit: not really a spoiler but I don't want to ruin anything about this game for new players

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Man said:
How does Amnesia run on a Mac? It's going for a very agreeable price on Steam (15euro).
My sister is running it on a relatively recent iMac, she had to dial stuff down for a stable framerate, but that's more an issue with the default settings than it is one with the game itself. Some default settings are completely ridiculous for some reason.

Once you tune the settings, it runs very well indeed!

Note that with a Magic Mouse, you have to assign a keyboard key for throwing because the mouse doesn't properly handle LMB+RMB.

Edit: And that price is the normal price! It's the price it's been released with, iirc.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ledsen said:
I like the "scary gameplay" video on youtube.

TY for the reply, but that's actually the clip I was talking about that I think is really poor. Confuses me why it's the first thing people see on Steam.

It's 2+ minutes of literal blackness. Not effective at selling the game at all.

I totally believe that the game itself is very intense, but I've yet to see a video that sells it.

Man

wmat said:
Once you tune the settings, it runs very well indeed!

Note that with a Magic Mouse, you have to assign a keyboard key for throwing because the mouse doesn't properly handle LMB+RMB.
I solved this in a cool matter. I assigned mouse scroll up as the throw command. Basically I make a throwing-swipe gesture with the middle finger.
So I bought the game yeah. Looks and runs great on the latest MacBook Air (11"). Textures & shadowing on highest. SSAO on, 2x ASFF and all other effects set to medium. Max screen resolution. I guess it really helps performance that this is a corridors game so it feels tailor made for the system and definitely a show-off title.

Salaadin

Ive been fine playing this until the
Water Monster part. I make it as far as the Hollow Needle item and the locked door but when I click the door, the game crashes and I get some Amnesica crash log.
Ive tried twice now and its not letting me past this part.

Ill give it a shot again and see if it happens a third time. If it does, Ill come back and edit in the exact error Im getting. In the meantime, anyone else get anything like this?

EDIT: Huh. I just googled "Amnesia Dark Descent Catalyst 10.10" and this thread was the first result.

No_Style said:
Catalyst 10.10

It wasn't just crashes either. The game bugged out once after I was "killed" by the
water monster
. Screen went black, but I was able to move the cursor around and bring up inventory screen. I reloaded and it was fine.

Im getting the exact same thing. Now the game wont boot at all. I was playing it just fine last weekend and the only changes Ive made between now and then was updating to Catalyst 10.10.

EDIT2: Disabled full screen and things seem to be ok so far. I progressed past the part I mentioned above.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jim-jam bongs said:
This is pretty much how I felt too. The one thing the game does really badly is that the abundance of save points means that there really isn't any penalty for dying, so by the end of the game I didn't really feel the tension so much. It doesn't help that, near the end,
the creatures are faster than you and kill you in one hit, so the frantic struggle to escape is ultimately pointless once you've been spotted. I took to just standing still and letting them slice me so I could come back to a reset map where they probably weren't in my way any more.

Still one of my favourites for the year.

edit: not really a spoiler but I don't want to ruin anything about this game for new players

They can afford to give out ample checkpoints because the fear is running into the monster and the fear of when and where you are eventually gonna run into them. Thats why the water sequences are more tense but not scary beyond the initial encounter. Frictional loves to mix all different horror situations together. And they love jump scares for touching things. They dont rely on them but even they use the lowliest from of horror. And its effective because you never expect them. Too busy worrying about monsters around the corner, so you start to take certain things as "safe." Subverting such things is really effective. They should have done it to the second safe zone after the water cellar.

JRW

I finally made it down the elevator and into the prison area .. This game is extremely good IMO, ive restricted myself to only playing at night with the lights out and its pretty damn creepy at times.

It's also nice being able to play it with maxed settings @ 1080p and maintain a solid 60fps. Finally putting this GTX 480 to good use lol.

Playing this slowly but surely, just got past the machine room/storage bit, fuck you Frictional for
the monster thats just coming straight at you when you open that certain door in Storage, i slammed that door, pegged it and hid like a bitch :lol Then i thought after 5 minutes i would be a good idea to "double check" the door, then the fucker started slamming it and i pegged it again :lol Then when i was finally done in storage, trying to get out of there with all the sanity stuff going mad was brilliant.

I love this game....

Salaadin

I tried going back to fullscreen but it crashed again so Ive been sticking with windowed. It sucks but at least I get to play.

I made it through the Machine Room/Storage part just last night.
I only had 1 rod so I had to venture back into Storage and grab the other two behind the rubble. I completely missed the door my first time through that detailed the explosives.

I nearly cried my first time in here when you grab the drill part from the shelf and then a monster starts roaming around. He opened the door and looked right at me but I was ducked behind some barrels. Oh my god.

It gets so freaky once you blow up that rubble in your way. First, theres the monster thats all "SURPRISE!" when you open that door. I didnt have my lantern on when I did that so I only heard him and booked it for my hiding spot. That was so tense hearing him walking slowly right outside the door. Then theres the other two that come out once you get the rods all the way in the back. That wasnt as scary because they let out a distinct growl beforehand and let you know they are there. Still, its so freaky how they just roam around and can actually spot you from a good distance away. I dont like it at all :(

Is there a way to extinguish torches that you light? I have an abundance of tinderboxes but not a lot of oil so I light a good deal of candles and torches. Its good when there are no monsters around but yesterday when I had to sneak past them, I stuck out light a sore thumb in all that light. I didnt try clicking on an already lit torch. Would that do it?

One thing Im loving about this game is how it forces me into a survival mode of sorts. Theres no weapons or anything so I approach every area with a "what can I use in here to help me" mentiality. I scope out hiding spots even if Im not sure Ill need them. I prepare stacks of boxes and barrels to barricade doors with. If something chases me, I always have a place to go and Im always ready. It doesnt ease my mind any while playing but it probably saved my ass once or twice.

Finished this the other night. I enjoyed it a lot but did have some problems with it. Like someone earlier said, it did become predictable.
A lot of the time you encountered the monsters right after solving something and being on your way out of the area so I ended up expecting it after a while. Also, a lot of the monster encounters were too easy to avoid. All you have to do is backtrack a bit and wait for the music to change and they just disappear. Once you realise that they lose a lot of their impact. There were a few bits where they stuck around and you had to sneak past, which were pretty terrifying. I hadn't really seen one up close until one of these and when it started booking it after me it was horrible. Up until then I assumed they were slow.

My favourite moment was probably
hiding in the cupboard and hearing the ghoul break into the room and search around. Then it starts trying to open the cupboard door! That was horrible, fighting to keep the door closed and wondering if it was ever going to give up.

Although the sanity thing wasn't that impressive on the whole the first time Daniel got so scared he collapsed in a heap and started crawling was awesome. Was trying to hide from a ghoul at the time so that was pretty stressful. I did like the idea that looking at horrible stuff for too long will mess with your mind. I liked the physics based and environmental puzzles, wasn't so keen on the lever pulling ones that were basically resident evil\silent hill puzzles.

Really liked the payoff at the end with the torture machines and associated flashbacks and descriptions.
So yeah, good game with a really tense atmosphere and some really creepy locations. More fear inducing than most horror games but bar a few moments still didn't come close to Fatal Frame levels of fear for me.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this game. Outstanding work by Frictional Games creating a perfect blend of story, graphics, gameplay and sound that allowed the player to feel free to explore but confined enough to keep you feeling powerless and afraid.

The 3 Scariest moments during my experience:
1: Cellar Archives: The invisible monster killed me the first time I went in the water because I couldn't find a box to jump on. Damn getting hit over and over fucking freaked me out. I felt so powerless as I desperately tried to jump to no avail

2: Storage: That damn monster standing right there on the other side of the door, waiting for you. I failed to shut it in time and had to lead him on a merry chase to escape.

3: Nave: Every torture room was scary enough, but the iron maiden opening suddenly and screaming at me freaked the hell out of me, probably because I wasn't expecting much "BOO" moments from this game.

Apparently, there's a bunch of Amnesia reaction videos floating around at the moment. I really think if they could crank out an xbox port of this game or something, they'd be in a position to sell a ton of copies. It seems like a lot of people are talking about it.

Anyway, saw this reaction video and had to post it, it's completely hilarious. And almost certainly fake. Entertaining, none the less. Turn your volume down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

Salaadin

theinfinityissue said:
Apparently, there's a bunch of Amnesia reaction videos floating around at the moment. I really think if they could crank out an xbox port of this game or something, they'd be in a position to sell a ton of copies. It seems like a lot of people are talking about it.

Anyway, saw this reaction video and had to post it, it's completely hilarious. And almost certainly fake. Entertaining, none the less. Turn your volume down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

Even if its fake, I laughed. That whole section scared the shit out of me.

Salaadin said:
Even if its fake, I laughed. That whole section scared the shit out of me.

Yeah, for sure. That part is either the scariest part of the game or at least tied with the jail. I was convinced I had two of the damn things after me when I made a sprint for the loading zone. My heart was actually freaking pounding, my hands were sweating so much that my finger slipped off the sprint button for a split second and I screamed something like "GUHNOO" as I tried to stumble towards the door. I made it, but after the game loaded I still backed away from the door and stared at it for a full minute. If that fucking thing had come through, I would have seriously turned my computer off, went to my bed and started crying like a little girl.

Game of the Year.

Salaadin

theinfinityissue said:
Yeah, for sure. That part is either the scariest part of the game or at least tied with the jail. I was convinced I had two of the damn things after me when I made a sprint for the loading zone. My heart was actually freaking pounding, my hands were sweating so much that my finger slipped off the sprint button for a split second and I screamed something like "GUHNOO" as I tried to stumble towards the door. I made it, but after the game loaded I still backed away from the door and stared at it for a full minute. If that fucking thing had come through, I would have seriously turned my computer off, went to my bed and started crying like a little girl.

Game of the Year.

When I first went through Storage, I did the exact same thing as the video above. That first monster came and stared at me and I just sat there with my camera panned to the floor saying "Oh god, please dont, please dont". I frantically stormed for the exit afterwards when I knew it was safe.

Then I start getting the elevator fixed and started finding hints and paging through my journal only to learn that I had to go back. I was terrified the entire time I was in there and once the monsters started popping up again, oh my god. I couldnt take it.

I actually havent even played the game since fixing the elevator. I need to be in a certain mode to plunk myself down at night and play something that scares me like this. I even felt like the game made me paranoid or something...constantly looking over my shoulder thinking I saw or heard something.

Easily the scariest game I ever played.

Finally completed this just now :D Yup, Frictional have done it again, made a real horror game thats bat shit scary without cheap ass jump scares (well, it had a couple, and they got me, bastards :lol). Fucking fantastic all the way through, i dont think i ever got a good look at the "monsters" roaming about as i was too pussy scared to consider opening the door to take a peek.

Sadly, i missed the
blood to make the potion to send Agrippa through the portal, i thought i had blown my chance when i thrown in prison, but looking at the walkthroughs now i see i cocked up :lol Guess i got the "ok" ending where i stopped Alexander and walked out the castle with a "clear" mind. Also lol penises.

Playing this game at 3am with headphones, in the dark, is the only way to play it :)

Regarding the story,
it never seemingly outright said what Alexander was and what he was after (going to his home world ? looking for a previous love ?), is there a definite answer ? Coming across the bronze bull was also quite shocking, never heard of something like that in use for torture, what was with the spiked pyramid thing too, were prisoners forcibly "sat" on that thing ? Absolutely grim stuff.

Fritional are the gaming horror gods.

Xapati

So I just got to the cistern, and for some reason I cannot find the motivation to play further I don't know why. I mean in the beginning it was lots of fun. I loved the part where you went to get the machine rods in the store room. But then I got to the dungeon, and it the game just kind of fell apart. Basically the whole thing was crawling with monsters and it suddenly went from being scary to being annoying. Constantly you have to remember where your closest hiding place is and monsters spawn every time you pick up anything. Some of the spawns are really cheap. I remember being stuck in a dead end and having one spawn down the corridor.

Now that I'm at the cistern I'm willing to bet I'll encounter a water monster again. Tell me, do I still have far to go?

ArjanN

Xapati said:
So I just got to the cistern, and for some reason I cannot find the motivation to play further I don't know why. I mean in the beginning it was lots of fun. I loved the part where you went to get the machine rods in the store room. But then I got to the dungeon, and it the game just kind of fell apart. Basically the whole thing was crawling with monsters and it suddenly went from being scary to being annoying. Constantly you have to remember where your closest hiding place is and monsters spawn every time you pick up anything. Some of the spawns are really cheap. I remember being stuck in a dead end and having one spawn down the corridor.

Now that I'm at the cistern I'm willing to bet I'll encounter a water monster again. Tell me, do I still have far to go?

Heh.

You've still got a way.

And there really aren't that many monsters, the game has pretty decent pacing, there's usually half an hour to an hour of exploring/puzzle-solving with some fake-out scares, before there's another actual monster encounter.

Ourobolus

Banned
Bought. The demo was great - I freaked out a bit with the water, but after dying twice it was all right.

I'm actually kinda excited to try out the level editor after I run through this. I've got a couple ideas, so it'll be interesting to see how in-depth I can get with it.

Just got this on the Steam deal, played an hour of it last night at 3am. Pitch black, headphones... pretty sweet :D Unnerving already as well.

I'm having trouble with the RMB... the game says you can slam doors or force them open depending on your faced direction, but RMB only seems to slam doors for me, even if I'm trying to push them open... I just end up slamming them in my own face :(

Helmholtz

Finished the game, and I liked it quite a bit on the whole. I really liked the atmosphere, and for the most part the story. Very engrossing stuff.

Now I'll get a few complaints out of the way...
-The ending was pretty unsatisfying for me. Yes I've seen all of them. They aren't terrible, but I was just expecting a lot more after all the awesome build up.
-The level design, mainly in some of the later levels, is kind of questionable. I think it's far too easy to get lost sometimes, especially when a lot of the hallways look identical, and I found myself wandering around aimlessly for 20-30 minutes at a time. I feel the game could have used a map or compass or something to guide you at least a little bit.
-The presentation of the story through notes and flashback dialogue got a little tired after a while. Not sure how I'd do it differently though. I think the flashback
when you're walking toward the barn and hearing about the terrible things Alexander and yourself did was pretty well done
-Some of the puzzles didn't seem obvious enough or something.
Things like having to inject the corpse with a needle, having to fill the broken pipe with water...idk. I ignored some of the notes, so maybe it was my fault, but I feel the game could have given you a little more direction.

But these are mostly minor complaints for an overall very solid game.

Prezhulio

well this was the 2nd steam sale and i hadn't bought anything for a couple days so i bit. really enjoying it so far, love horror games, especially done well like this. but.....

is the engine total garbage or am i just experiencing some funky glitches? at first i had ssao cranked up and seemed like single digit framerate, but i've turned that completely off, and even went below the detected range- still chugging pretty bad and it really doesn't look particularly stellar.... i7-930, 1gb gtx460. maybe it's time i put that hyper n520 heatsink to use and oc?

Helmholtz

Prezhulio said:
well this was the 2nd steam sale and i hadn't bought anything for a couple days so i bit. really enjoying it so far, love horror games, especially done well like this. but.....

is the engine total garbage or am i just experiencing some funky glitches? at first i had ssao cranked up and seemed like single digit framerate, but i've turned that completely off, and even went below the detected range- still chugging pretty bad and it really doesn't look particularly stellar.... i7-930, 1gb gtx460. maybe it's time i put that hyper n520 heatsink to use and oc?
You should have no problems running it perfectly. It ran super smooth on my PC, and I only have an i5/GTX 275. Don't really know why you're having problems, maybe drivers?

Fitz

It's the SSAO Resolution setting that can really fuck performance, changing it from medium to high is literally 4x harder to run, even on my GTX580 I can get sub 40 fps with that on high. It doesn't make much visual difference on high though anyway, at least in my experience.

Ledsen

Prezhulio said:

I can play it fine with most settings quite high... and I'm on a laptop with an i3 330m and a HD5650m (~7000p in 3dmark 06). Sounds like a driver problem or something.

edit: Or maybe the SSAO, obviously I'm not using that on my rig.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Colkate said:
It's the SSAO Resolution setting that can really fuck performance, changing it from medium to high is literally 4x harder to run, even on my GTX580 I can get sub 40 fps with that on high. It doesn't make much visual difference on high though anyway, at least in my experience.
Yeah, that also. Reduce SSAO! It's too dark anyway :lol

I'm an hour in at the moment. It's not too scary yet, but there's been a few moments that have made my spine chill. It will get to me more as I progress, I can tell.

Not liking the sanity system. Cool concept, annoying to manage. Everything else I'm liking muchly.

Helmholtz

Ogs said:
Persuaded my friend to buy this in the current sale, 5 minutes after i saw him load it up on steam, i get a message -

"Wheres me gun ?"

:lol
:lol Nice.
@Folio: Don't worry, it takes a little bit to really start getting terrifying :D

Maccas

Does the game get better after the demo? I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood or I didn't like it but the demo didn't really do it for me.

I usually love scary games, tell me what to do GAF.

An-Det

Played the demo up to the cellar archives and the water. The thing in the water killed me since I couldnt platform for shit. Gotta stop for now, but I want to play more.

I'm liking the demo, but is the game in general pretty testing of a system? I cranked the settings up and I'm going to have to lower them a bit since it doesnt feel quite right yet. I'm running an i5/5850, so I wasn't expecting to have that problem.

Minamu

Does Amnesia support cloud saves via steam? If not, would Steam object to save files from a different pc, if I were to redownload the game at my parents' house?

Minamu said:
Does Amnesia support cloud saves via steam? If not, would Steam object to save files from a different pc, if I were to redownload the game at my parents' house?
The cloud icon isn't showing up next to it, so I don't think so.

Minamu said:
Shame :( Would I be able to copy my saves into another steam folder though?
Yeah most PC games can do that. There are some weird cases like Street Fighter IV that require more work, but for the most part yes I think so.

Minamu

Great. I know pc games can handle that stuff, just not sure about steam. Might finish the game before the weekend is over anyway though. We shall see.

ilikeme

I'm playing the demo and I'm at the
thing in the water trying to get the door open where I have to be in the water. I know I have to throw meat into the water and hurry
but I have a ball mouse. It's really hard to turn the crank :(

I played the demos for all three of the games, Penumbra Overture, Black Plague and Amnesia. I liked the Overture and Black Plague demos a lot more. Gonna buy them soon enough when I'm done with my assignments. (I might have liked them more partly because my computer sucks so Amnesia is laggy) :(

Salaadin

I cant play this game anymore. Last time, I stopped right when I entered the
prison
and didnt go back to it because that whole sequence beforehand just got to me. I finally manned up and tried some more last night and could only put in maybe 30 mins.
The prison halls are so dark, Im short on oil, and I dont want to run out of tinderboxes so Im just creeping around and lighting every 2 torches or so. I keep hearing some dude crying, I cant see shit...though I think I saw a monster so I ended up sitting alone in a low lit room for 5 minutes with everything imaginable piled against the door. I entered another room that just gave me this eerie feeling so I was on high alert. Out of nowhere, I hear a growl behind me so I quickly slam the door and pile some furniture against it when some monster starts bashing the door in. Oh my god. Kill me now. I cant do this.

I eventually made my way back out and found a nail to combine with my hammer so I can chip away at a hole and climb through. I left that room when a draft goes through the place and extinguishes every fucking torch. FFFFFUUUUUUU. Its pitch black but I made it to the hole and climbed down. I quit again.

The game literally makes me uncomfortable. I see and hear things that Im not sure are even there. And then when I quit, I still have this "look over my shoulder" feeling. I think Im going crazy.

Top Bottom