• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

MDSLKTR said:
AzIn7.jpg

LOL

I'm sorry, but it had to be quoted.

Izayoi

Banned
Okay. I bought this on the Halloween sale.

Ended up playing it for about an hour and nope'd the fuck out of there.

Is it worth continuing?

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah, I'd say it's probably the most immersive game I've ever played. I've never played a game that's given me such paranoia

I was planning on picking up this game really soon, as I've heard nothing but good things about it. But then I saw the cover.

MDSLKTR said:

Hahahaha, are you kidding me? That wide-mouthed chump is supposed to be one of the game's freakish monsters? I can't ever see myself playing something that terrible. If the developers felt confident enough that that cover was a good representation of their game, then I'm definitely passing on it.

Shame, because the game seemed to have so much potential.

Booshka

Jack Scofield said:
I was planning on picking up this game really soon, as I've heard nothing but good things about it. But then I saw the cover.

Hahahaha, are you kidding me? That wide-mouthed chump is supposed to be one of the game's freakish monsters? I can't ever see myself playing something that terrible. If the developers felt confident enough that that cover was a good representation of their game, then I'm definitely passing on it.

Hope you are joking, just watch youtube gameplay or something to convince yourself and get over the awful cover.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Booshka said:
Hope you are joking, just watch youtube gameplay or something to convince yourself and get over the awful cover.

Yeah, and I recently did see one of those things close up and I yelled 'OH GOD', did a 180 and ran back as far as I could until I could find some boxes to hide behind.

that was horrifying

Helmholtz

Izayoi said:
Okay. I bought this on the Halloween sale.

Ended up playing it for about an hour and nope'd the fuck out of there.

Is it worth continuing?
I don't understand your question. Did you stop playing because you didn't like the game? Or were you too scared to continue? If it's the former, I'd say keep at it, the game is very good. If it's the latter, I don't know what to say, depends on whether or not you can handle it. If anything just play with the lights on and lower the volume or something (I know gaffers will give me shit for this suggestion :p).

Jack Scofield said:

You'd shit your pants if that came running towards you in real life.

damn that's nice

This is one of the first games I want to play when I get my new computer tomorrow. Ever since I saw a video of someone screaming on Teamspeak while playing this... I've been so excited. Hope it can satisfy my horror cravings.

So I did buy it off of Steam, not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but I had a quick question.

Does the game stay consistently scary throughout? Meaning, do you get to a point eventually where it just kind of wears off, where it just keeps doing the same thing, and it's not really frightening any more? Or does it do a good job at keeping things fresh?

I ask, because during the demo the
part in the sewer, or whatever it is, scared the crap out of me. Once I had the guts to reload the game, and figured out that as long as I stayed out of the water I'd be fine, it was suddenly much less scary. As in, once I figured out the mechanic, I wasn't as frightened.

That's just one small part of course, but I would definitely like to know if people found this consistently frightening.

Gart

SenseiJinx - There are some pacing an tone changes in the game, so no, I'd say it doesn't stay consistently scary in that sense.

In your example, you're suppose to figure that out so that's natural. But
after you figured that you had to stay out of the water, were you not scared of falling back into it by missing a jump or at sections where you had to run across a gap? How bout the part where you had to lure it away while you turned the slow moving crank while standing in the water? Those new elements fall into the keeping this fresh, no?

It also depends on the person and how they play. If you're more prone to psychological effects then it'll stay more consistently scary. Things like a high sensitivity to sounds and always wondering about the what ifs, being really observant and such. But if you play trying to figure out every mechanic trying to break the game, obviously it'll be considerably less scary.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, Gart is about right. There are few moments of complete peace and comfort, it's only happened for me when I'm stuck in an area and I've been through the rooms several times. I'm 4 or 5 hours in and it's still damn scary, it doesn't blow it's load right away by revealing the enemies or throwing you into a lot of action scenes, it's a slow burn of paranoia and creepiness with a few crazy moments.

Still, I can't think of any game that gets under my skin like Amnesia does. I'm more resilient to scary stuff than the average person, but Amnesia keeps my palms sweaty like nothing else.

Gart said:
SenseiJinx - There are some pacing an tone changes in the game, so no, I'd say it doesn't stay consistently scary in that sense.

In your example, you're suppose to figure that out so that's natural. But
after you figured that you had to stay out of the water, were you not scared of falling back into it by missing a jump or at sections where you had to run across a gap? How bout the part where you had to lure it away while you turned the slow moving crank while standing in the water? Those new elements fall into the keeping this fresh, no?

It also depends on the person and how they play. If you're more prone to psychological effects then it'll stay more consistently scary. Things like a high sensitivity to sounds and always wondering about the what ifs, being really observant and such. But if you play trying to figure out every mechanic trying to break the game, obviously it'll be considerably less scary.

That sounds pretty awesome. And you're right, once that mechanic was figured out, it did keep throwing different things at you to keep it tense. I think I am pretty prone to psychological effects, as evidenced by the demo. It was really hard for me to get through it, because I had to keep turning it off because I couldn't go on. I guess I'll take your advice, and just try to immerse myself in the experience and not try to "break" the mechanics. I'm excited, for whenever I get a chance to get into it.

Just built a new PC yesterday, so I'm finally able to play Amnesia for more than two minutes at a time without my computer overheating. I've played the way the developers intended me to play: in a dark room with headphones. There is nothing more frightening to me than a horror that has no face and no body. I've encountered a few silhouettes, and the constant hints of how to deal with enemies, their nearby footsteps and grumbles have kept me on edge even though I haven't had an "encounter" yet. Yeah, Frictional are assholes for the constant tips of how to deal with enemies that sound like they are right on top of you, but aren't. They, along with Team Silent, are the only two developers I've known who truly understand/stood horror in video games.

I made it to that part--the water. That awful, terrible sound before I blacked out was all I need to know that I need to turn that fucking game off for the night. I'm coming for ya Alexander!

I'm not far at all into it (just getting to the library) but holy fuck, there is no other surreal/horror game that equals this. Maybe it's the general love I have for the atmosphere and setting, but I'm sooooo happy I finally am able to play this at max settings.

This is getting ahead of myself, and I believe Snuggler asked the same question earlier, but has anyone had luck finding good "Custom Stories"? I'd imagine there's a lot to work with, the possibilities for greatness are intriguing. Might get into some myself.

gdt

God damn, I need to get my new laptop ASAP. Been wanting to play this game (and many other PC games) forever.

onken

Hehe finally got round to installing this after buying it in the Steam sale. I kinda wish they'd kill the VA on the letters you find and just let you read it in silence, much less creepy having that dorky voice actor hamming up every line.

So I'm not sure if this is common, but I've played about 3 hours so far, and have been terrified all the way through (to the point of only being able to play in 15 minute chunks), but I finally got caught and killed by a monster, and now it's taken all the fear out of the game. The animations could not live up to how horrible I thought it would be to get attacked.

I downloaded the demo for this. From what I've heard (and seen, in the video on it's Steam page), it's a genuinely scary game, which would be a welcome change from the action nroute most horror games seem to be going in these days. I like the idea that you aren't given a gun and required to storm your way through by killing everything.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Zeouterlimits said:
Unfortunately not.

Grow up.

No u! Though if Naked Prime REALLY wants to play with a controller, he could use pinnacle. Its not necessary tho. The game doesnt have any complex keyboard movements.

Ben2749 said:
I like the idea that you aren't given a gun and required to storm your way through by killing everything.

Agreed. Its far more scary having to run/hide from monsters, rather than mowing them down.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Recently picked this game up, and just made it to the
prison
area. Fuck it. Seriously.

I've encountered the monster like six times down here, so I've done a lot of running and hiding for my life in a pitch black labyrinth. This place is a huge maze, so I keep going down the same corridors. And I'm running low on tinderboxes and lantern oil, so light is becoming a problem, and I find myself having to travel in the dark more than I'd like to. Really fucking creepy.

I have to say, this game is really digging deep into a fundamental fear for me, unlike any I've played before it. My most hated dream/nightmare is one where I'm trying to run from something, but I'm super slow and uncoordinated and I feel like I'm trudging through molasses. Well, this game does something similar; a couple times now I've seen the monster dash in front of me, did a 180 to get my ass out of there, and my character--in a state of fear and shock--would hallucinate briefly and barely be able to move. It's really fucking with me on a personal level, and I love it.

I can't believe how good this game is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MrOogieBoogie said:
[SPOILERS]

[/SPOILERS]

If remove the 's' at the end of those tags the text will be masked. So:

spoilertag.png

Edit: Added an image, but you've got it sorted anyhow. :p

Salsa

check that spoiler tag, i almost read it.

I tried to play this game again yesterday, at daytime, and with a friend.

And it was fucking SCARY AS SHIT.

Im gonna finish it im sure, just at a slow ass pace.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
JaseC said:
If remove the 's' at the end of those tags the text will be masked. Spoiler, not spoilers.

Okay, thanks. It's nothing major, by the way.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
check that spoiler tag, i almost read it.

I tried to play this game again yesterday, at daytime, and with a friend.

And it was fucking SCARY AS SHIT.

Im gonna finish it im sure, just at a slow ass pace.

Damn, son, I play this shit late at night by myself with the lights dimmed and my headphones on...while I'm baked. It's insane.

Medalion

Banned
I'm sure the game is plenty scary so I won't touch this thing

but watching others play it online, especially with commentary is fucking hilarious! Especially when people are trying to be clever if they can beat the monster

the randomization is what kills me. I was on my I dunno 6th or 7th playthrough a while ago, was dashing out of the part where you have to destroy the wall and do the book puzzle, and as normal was just making a run for it when I heard the enemies making noise. I've heard them every time, seen them once in an out of the way spot, but man. This time, this time, he was standing there staring at the piano. I had never seen one there before, and I'd been sprinting. I froze, and the fucking thing seemed to turn in slow motion towards me. I was fucking out. No more of that game that day.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Damn, son, I play this shit late at night by myself with the lights dimmed and my headphones on...while I'm baked. It's insane.

I have panic attacks and the like, pretty sure i'd die.

Volcynika was kind enough to gift me this game and I played about 15 minutes before I got pulled away for something.

Just a quick question before I play more: is there any way to actually lose?

That is, I like to immerse myself in games like this, but if I'm keeping track of game mechanics and stuff, then I tend to become more aware that I'm playing a game. It's surprisingly hard for me to immerse myself in 90% of games because of this.

Or is this just kind of a visual experience I am mainly walking through?

I finally finished this the other day. Took me between 6 and 7 hours. Excellent, definitely worth the $10 I paid for it. I have some minor issues with the story/plot, and outside of a few great moments I didn't feel it was actually all that scary, but I had a lot of fun with it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys atmospheric horror.

I bit the bullet and went for the $20 Penumbra compilation. It obviously isn't as impressive-looking as Amnesia, but I think I'll enjoy Penumbra as well.

ShockingAlberto said:

Oh yes, there certainly is.

The game design doesn't punish you as harshly as it could for losing, but there are many ways to die.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, it's never difficult but I've died several times. The threat is always there, even though you may go long periods of times without encountering an enemy. There is some environmental stuff that can kill you too.

The most terrifiying death for me is when I take a wrong turn and I have my back to a wall so I have no choice but to just wait for the enemy to come in and kill me.

For me at least, it feels much less gamey than most survival horror games. Many of the puzzles are based around simple physics and you don't have to spend too much time digging through menus or anything.

soco

ShockingAlberto said:
Volcynika was kind enough to gift me this game and I played about 15 minutes before I got pulled away for something.

That is, I like to immerse myself in games like this, but if I'm keeping track of game mechanics and stuff, then I tend to become more aware that I'm playing a game. It's surprisingly hard for me to immerse myself in 90% of games because of this.

Or is this just kind of a visual experience I am mainly walking through?

if by lose, you mean get a total game over. no, i haven't seen that. you don't have a limited number of lives or anything. and the game tries to do some sliding difficulty so that if you're dying in one section a lot, it'll make it easier the next go around, plus each time you die, it'll give you hints.

Sweet, on Steam right now for $9.99, will be downloading that ASAP once I get home tonight. My computer is "Good", but I had a HELL of an issue with blue screens. Got a new mobo on it as that was the LAST thing that it could have been (tried different OS, video cards, harddrives, memory, power sources, etc.) My friend has built computers for 15+ years, certified in damn near everything, works IT, and has seen nothing like my computer. Its worked ok since I replaced the motherboard (despite a Crysis freeze, and then the next day it had rebooted and stated it was a video hardware error).

But for $9.99, Ill risk possibly wasting it. Ive wanted to play this game since Ive heard about it, and I LOVE these types of games. Cant wait!

Josh7289

TheApatheticOne said:
Sweet, on Steam right now for $9.99, will be downloading that ASAP once I get home tonight. My computer is "Good", but I had a HELL of an issue with blue screens. Got a new mobo on it as that was the LAST thing that it could have been (tried different OS, video cards, harddrives, memory, power sources, etc.) My friend has built computers for 15+ years, certified in damn near everything, works IT, and has seen nothing like my computer. Its worked ok since I replaced the motherboard (despite a Crysis freeze, and then the next day it had rebooted and stated it was a video hardware error).

But for $9.99, Ill risk possibly wasting it. Ive wanted to play this game since Ive heard about it, and I LOVE these types of games. Cant wait!
I had a motherboard that was incompatible with my Geforce 6600 GT video card that I bought all in 2005/6. I went through too many replacements of the video card until I found a post on my mobo manufacturer's forums stating a problem similar to mine, and that the cause was actually the motherboard. Then I got the mobo replaced with a different one and all was well.

Also as far as Amnesia goes, I just started playing tonight. It's as scary as it seemed it would be, but I'm actually kind of stuck right now.
I'm trying to fix the elevator, and got two of the three rods from the storage room that I need to insert into the machinery. The third rod is probably in the study room, but there's still rubble blocking access to the deeper parts of it. I already used my chemistry jar in an earlier explosion, so how can I destroy or get around the rubble in the study room? A secret passage somewhere?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There could be a window you could go through, and you could smash it with something like a chair...hinthint

study room is the right place, one of the windows can be smashed

Josh7289

Snuggler said:
There could be a window you could go through, and you could smash it with something like a chair...hinthint

study room is the right place, one of the windows can be smashed
Ahh, what the, I actually threw junk at the windows in at least one of those rooms. I'll try the other. Thanks!

I thought the trick might have been in those rooms because of all the furniture and stuff strewn about, trying to get me to play with them, haha.

Snuggler said:

Did this yesterday as well, but I get way too confused sometimes, with all the similar looking hallways, but damn the paranoia and tension is great when high.

Finished it today as well. But two questions.

What is the wooden crank for? I can't remember if I used it or not.

Also, in the section in the sewer where
you're redirecting the water, there is a wooden bridge held up by a chain, I never managed to get it down and cross it. How were you supposed to do it? and what is the point of crossing it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gdt5016 said:
Does this have gamepad support?

No, but it's meant to be played on a keyboard. Frantically opening and closing doors wouldn't feel the same with analog sticks.

Top Bottom