• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Yeef

WEGGLES said:
Had a nightmare due to this game.

I just arrived at the
prison
. not sure exactly what to do at this part though.
I got stuck on that part too. Mainly because kept running and hiding and getting turned around. That place is like a maze. Take your time to make a mental map of the layout and it's fairly easy to get through.

WEGGLES

Yeef said:
I got stuck on that part too. Mainly because kept running and hiding and getting turned around. That place is like a maze. Take your time to make a mental map of the layout and it's fairly easy to get through.
My main issue is... the monster never seems to leave me alone.In other places it'll show up, I'll hide then he'll buzz off a bit.

Now. He shows up... I hide... I try to come out and it's right there the whole time.

Yeef

WEGGLES said:
My main issue is... the monster never seems to leave me alone.In other places it'll show up, I'll hide then he'll buzz off a bit.

Now. He shows up... I hide... I try to come out and it's right there the whole time.
Yeah. That's the way it is on that part. You just have to hide a bit longer. He'll still be wandering around the area, but he'll get far enough away that you can explore a bit. The way that area is set up there's a part where the path forks off in a few different directions. If you explore every path it becomes fairly obvious what needs to be done and each path has places that you can hide from the monster.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes even if the monster is around you should peak around the corner and take a quick look at him. Sometimes he'll have his back to you which will let you sneak past.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Reposting this from OT. I guess his session lasted for more than one hour.

tIK50l.jpg

IrishNinja

yeah, that thing is spot-on.
i too am crapping myself in the northern prison now...hey, anyone else getting screen tearing? i have most res stuff on high but turned a lotta effects down to medium, is this really that demanding a game? ive got an i5-760, 6870, 4GB DDR3 etc, drivers should be current too...just wondering if i'm doing something wrong here.

Wallach

IrishNinja said:
yeah, that thing is spot-on.
i too am crapping myself in the northern prison now...hey, anyone else getting screen tearing? i have most res stuff on high but turned a lotta effects down to medium, is this really that demanding a game? ive got an i5-760, 6870, 4GB DDR3 etc, drivers should be current too...just wondering if i'm doing something wrong here.

Check to see what your SSAO samples are set to. By default it is pretty high and doesn't really do anything but slam your performance. I'd personally just turn it off.

IrishNinja

per v-sync: i was told to enable it in the ATI control center thing, which i did, as opposed to in-game. there was a bug that caused a crash, i read online it was related to enabling v-sync in game...should i try d3doverrider or whatever instead?

@ SSAO samples - could you elaborate here? sorry, still new to all of this. game's incredible, but you can imagine where fleeing in abject horror is at least slightly marred by tearing.

Wallach

IrishNinja said:
per v-sync: i was told to enable it in the ATI control center thing, which i did, as opposed to in-game. there was a bug that caused a crash, i read online it was related to enabling v-sync in game...should i try d3doverrider or whatever instead?

@ SSAO samples - could you elaborate here? sorry, still new to all of this. game's incredible, but you can imagine where fleeing in abject horror is at least slightly marred by tearing.

I use d3doverrider for vsync most of the time.

As for SSAO, it's one of the video settings in-game. It's a pixel shader effect that is used approximate ambient occlusion; basically it's a graphic setting that attempts to make lighting more realistic. The sample rate essentially controls the quality/accuracy of the effect, but it's also fairly intensive on the GPU (the CPU doesn't share any of the load). By default this setting is pretty high and can definitely cause some slowdown even on very capable rigs, and while the effect is neat I don't think it's worth the FPS hit it causes. Either turn the SSAO samples down or turn SSAO off completely.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
IrishNinja said:
Yeah, trying shouldn't hurt. Might wanna enable triple buffering along with it.

Edit: Wait — Amnesia is an OpenGL game. D3DOverrider shouldn't affect it at all. Instead, you should enable VSync and Triple Buffering via the ATI Control Center, or find other means that pertain to OpenGL.

Vaporak

Alright GAF I'm back for round 2 with this game. I bought it when it came out and played up until I had
fixed the steam elevator and went down it
, but then convinced myself to start playing other games instead as a self defense mechanism. God I love this game, best game in the horror genre for sure.

Went back to the demo. Played for about five more minutes, and then shut off the game in desperation.

This game would take me forever to beat if I ever got the full version.

Atomski

Still trying to make it through my first playthrough. I can only play for about a half and hour before it starts to really bug me. Saying that though... I really really like this game :p. I hope we see more horror games from this studio.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Oh god what i wouldnt give for a gun. I so scared.

I just got off the elevator and its dark as fuck with multple ways to go :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fuck this game, why did they have to go with crying baby sounds?

I lasted about half an hour, but I ended up cowering behind some boxes then quitting out. This is an intense game. It looks very nice too, I have it on max settings and it's still running around 60fps.

Atomski

Beat this a few days ago. Awesome game.. I hope we see tons more out of this team :).

Has to be the scariest game I have played. Makes a lot of horror games look like a joke.

Edit: Also one of the first games I actually felt like a true man after finishing :p.

Orin GA said:
Oh god what i wouldnt give for a gun. I so scared.

This is one of the things which makes the game so fucking terrifying. You keep looking down at the bottom of the screen expecting to see a .357 and every time you do you're reminded of how completely helpless you really are.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Worst boxart ever.

This game is terrifying, though. I just made it through the notorious water part before I had to take a break. Playing it feels like an endurance test more than anything.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MDSLKTR said:
So the game is coming out in boxed version feb.22 in NA and I don't think there's enough lol smilies in the world to describe the jacket:

http://i.imgur.com/AzIn7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Weird, I just went to the store and saw this on the shelf an hour ago.

What were they thinking with that art?

Can't seem to stress enough how god-awful that cover is. It is fucking horrendous and I'm ashamed that Frictional would let THQ do that. What a travesty, what a joke. One of the reasons why the game is so scary is because you don't quite KNOW what the monsters look like. At least to some extent.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Can't seem to stress enough how god-awful that cover is. It is fucking horrendous and I'm ashamed that Frictional would let THQ do that. What a travesty, what a joke. One of the reasons why the game is so scary is because you don't quite KNOW what the monsters look like. At least to some extent.

Exactly, my entire playthrough was mostly watching silhouettes of the monsters, and a brief split second in my face before i slammed a door shut on the fucker :p

Really is a terrible cover, but its good to see this game getting published and more widely available.

There is just so much wrong with that cover. It is almost as horrifying as the game itself. Especially bad since not being able to look at Nope Man is core to the experience.

I mean Jesus, that shit is messed up.

Atomski

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Yep, part of the fear was not knowing exactly wtf was wrong with the monsters face. You did not see it up close.. but when you finally did it scared the shit out of you. I feel like this box cover has spoiled part of the game, not only by showing it but also making it look completely dumb :(

ArjanN

Atomski said:
Yep, part of the fear was not knowing exactly wtf was wrong with the monsters face. You did not see it up close.. but when you finally did it scared the shit out of you. I feel like this box cover has spoiled part of the game, not only by showing it but also making it look completely dumb :(

It's funny that the actual ingame model for the monster looks way scarier.

ArjanN said:
It's funny that the actual ingame model for the monster looks way scarier.

I completely agree. Total mind-fuck because you just don't know what to make of it. This is a joke and I'm quite bothered by the whole thing honestly.

Instro

This game is up next on my backlog, I remember the demo being very creepy so this is probably going to be quite a ride. Ive been kind of half dreading the moment I would finally get around to playing Amnesia, but excited at the same time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm finally able to play this game.

Just bought a new laptop and I'm downloading Amnesia from amazon. I've been dying to play this game, I hope that god awful boxart didn't ruin anything for me, ha.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
On the one hand, this artwork is really shitty. On the other, if they made a cover that was in sync with what the game's about, the cover wouldn't be unique. It'd look like the cover of 7th Guest, Alone in the Dark etc.

So what's a really good cover for Amnesia? I gotta say I don't know.

ScOULaris

I finally gave the demo a shot last night, and I must say I am very impressed. I've been pining for a truly scary game since Team Silent broke up, and this is the first one to approach the level of tension and dread that Silent Hill 1-4 evoked. From the short demo, I wouldn't say that it's as scary as the early Silent Hill games, but it's definitely the scariest game I've played this gen. Dead Space is a great game, but it's more action-horror than true survival-horror like Amnesia.

Once I scrounge up an extra $20, I'll definitely be purchasing the full game on Steam.

Just started playing it after switching to a new rig. PC master race is correct. Playing on an iMac 27inch model has taken it out of me - I love the way this game handles. Character movement has weight, as do items, and the sanity mechanic is a thing to behold. Really surprised and excited so far, and also unsettled beyond belief.

Just wanted to say, the way they treat enemies is wonderful. Silent Hill 2 comparisons were apt, except I hope it starts getting into some seriously disturbing sections. The first thirty minutes have great scenarios, but are only slightly lacking in the environment department. Only slightly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Have there been any good Custom Stories yet? Seems like a neat idea, didn't even know what it was until a moment ago.

oh god I'm breaking into the guestroom and hiding in the closet oh god

Makoto

Amnesia is scary. No doubt about it. I have a problem with the scripting though. I locked a monster in a room. Put up every kind of object against the door as a barrier. Meanwhile, the monster is banging at it and I walk away laughing. Flashback event triggers, I continue moving and hit another event and a monster is patrolling near the room I locked him in. I bypass the monster but by this time, I'm paranoid, so I go back to the room where I locked the monster in. The objects used for the barricade are still there, completely intact but the door is gone as well as the monster. It pretty much got removed out of the room due to a scripted event. Kinda whack, I know you're not supposed to "engage" the monsters but Frictional, Y U NO LET ME FEEL VICTORIOUS?

Instro

vidal said:
Amnesia is scary. No doubt about it. I have a problem with the scripting though. I locked a monster in a room. Put up every kind of object against the door as a barrier. Meanwhile, the monster is banging at it and I walk away laughing. Flashback event triggers, I continue moving and hit another event and a monster is patrolling near the room I locked him in. I bypass the monster but by this time, I'm paranoid, so I go back to the room where I locked the monster in. The objects used for the barricade are still there, completely intact but the door is gone as well as the monster. It pretty much got removed out of the room due to a scripted event. Kinda whack, I know you're not supposed to "engage" the monsters but Frictional, Y U NO LET ME FEEL VICTORIOUS?

Yeah I started playing it recently as well, it seems like monsters can randomly appear and disappear depending on whats going on/what you are doing. Its kind of interesting because I can never quite tell if I am safe or not.

Gvaz

Banned
While I probably can't replay the base story, this is probably one of my favorite games.

Everyone went on and on about how scary Dead Space was, but after beating Amnesia then moving on to dead space, it wasn't nearly as scary as everyone made it out to be.

Nothing in Amnesia was really predictable, and I was always on edge. What a great experience!

azureowl

Urgh, I had such a hard time with this game. I'm such a jumpy person and this game had me on edge at all times.
I had a terrible experience in the prison too. It was probably my scariest moment as I was just running along casually then I heard a moan and before I could react the monster peeked from the behind the wall on the right side path at the top of some tiny stairs and I swear to god he had his hands up by his head like he was playing peek-a-boo with me and I panicked and ran so fast. I'm... not too sure how he didn't manage to get me though
http://oi56.tinypic.com/30bfome.jpg

psykomyko

This game is just sick. The water part was such an impressive sequence. After going through that, firstly of course I was terrified, but also blown away by how impressive it was. Such a great game.

Top Bottom