• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah doors are analogue controlled so you could do it technically but it'd be not nearly as interactive.

Seriously, not every game needs gamepad support. Just use the damn keyboard mouse like a normal person.

gdt

Snuggler said:
No, but it's meant to be played on a keyboard. Frantically opening and closing doors wouldn't feel the same with analog sticks.

Thanks. I'm getting a gaming laptop soon, guess I gotta get a wireless mouse and keyboard too.

And a little rolling table for my couch.

That will turn the ladies on.

Booshka

Gvaz said:
Yeah doors are analogue controlled so you could do it technically but it'd be not nearly as interactive.

Seriously, not every game needs gamepad support. Just use the damn keyboard mouse like a normal person.
I would love if they put this on XBLA or something, I think you could make that mechanic work if you had a "Grab" button and then you could use the Right analog stick to push or pull the door with up and down on the thumbstick.

When I get a new PC eventually this will be one of the first games I pick up, if it hasn't come to console by that time.

So, is the infamous "water part" the same part involving water that you play through in the demo? That was fucking scary, but now I feel like I've already experienced the most memorable part in the game :(.

Opiate

Gvaz said:
Why.....would you buy a gaming laptop?

Sometimes I wonder why all people who label themselves "hardcore" gamers aren't PC gamers. Then, I see things like this.

First, we ridicule people for not gaming on the PC. Then, if they do start gaming on the PC, we ridicule them if they don't use the form factor we prefer (i.e. desktop).

To answer your question, GVaz: Laptops can do things desktops cannot. Turn off the game, and suddenly you have a perfectly functional device to take to your office or to your class.

Yes, the tradeoff to these added functions is that his system likely won't be as powerful (although it could easily best PS3/360, for example). But rather than complain about how his choice of PC doesn't fit our ideal, let's welcome him to the PC Gaming team. There's pretty much nothing PC needs more than a sense of open, welcoming friendliness.

K701

Banned
I wish I had the balls to play this. Last time I did I could only play for about 7 minutes before I had to quit. These days even minecraft scares the shit outta me (but that's probably because creepers can kill you quickly and make you loose all the shit you worked hours for)

Also the way I play it kinda amplifies the whole thing.. Darkness + Eyefinity + Dolby headphone adapter w/ good headphones = NOPE

IMG_0122.JPG

Gvaz

Banned
Opiate said:
Sometimes I wonder why all people who label themselves "hardcore" gamers aren't PC gamers. Then, I see things like this.

First, we ridicule people for not gaming on the PC. Then, if they do start gaming on the PC, we ridicule them if they don't use the form factor we prefer (i.e. desktop).

To answer your question, GVaz: Laptops can do things desktops cannot. Turn off the game, and suddenly you have a perfectly functional device to take to your office or to your class.

Yes, the tradeoff to these added functions is that his system likely won't be as powerful (although it could easily best PS3/360, for example). But rather than complain about how his choice of PC doesn't fit our ideal, let's welcome him to the PC Gaming team. There's pretty much nothing PC needs more than a sense of open, welcoming friendliness.

You misread me sir, rather I find a "gaming laptop" or a system bought for such a waste of money, not a subpar platform (say from PC to console).

I have a laptop myself, but the issue here is: You're paying quite a bit of money comparably for something you can't upgrade in the future. They're generally heavier, larger screens, thicker, all downplaying the usefulness of a portable PC. I'd much prefer to have a normal little laptop that doesn't weigh too much and isn't cumbersome and just "game" when I get home.

I have a laptop as part of my tuition at my college, a Lenovo w500, while not the most powerful, it is very heavy I find. Then again, I carry it on my back all day up and down a hill (to home and school) several times a day. For a laptop to be powerful enough for me, It'd have to be as good or better than my desktop (which can play crysis 1 on very high on a 24" screen).

That was my point.

gotee12

And here I was thinking I'm hot stuff cuz I play the game with a DSS amp and surround sound headphones.

Always the bridesmaid...

I just had my first encounter with a "thing". Fuck. This game terrifies me even in the daytime. I generally don't play horror games and Amnesia is making that fact all too clear. Fuck this. I want to go on, but I don't know if I physically can.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The
torture rooms
toward the latter part of the game are really, really fucked up. Some great artistic vision, but goddamn the game became extra disturbing after the terrifying
prison

I can't remember the last time I played a horror title that kept the intensity up as long as this one.

BY2K

Membero Americo
*Arrives at the Cellar Archives*

Oh, there's actually most of the candles already lit, this is quite the change...

*Screen turns black*

Oh God. Oh GOD!

*Screen comes back, place is filled with water.*

Great, water. What now?

*Splash of water at the other side, coming toward me. Music goes up.*

OH GOD THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE WATER!

*Jumps on a crate. Splashes follow me around, can't see shit.*

My God, it's invisible.
This game hates me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's messed up yo.

The sad thing about this game is that it reveals my true nature as a complete coward. When I come across a foe, my first reaction is panic. I tend to aimlessly run about until I can find something to hide behind.

The worst was my first encounter with one of them. I heard it coming and I freaked out and ran into the nearest room. There was nowhere to hide so I tried to squeeze in between the wall and a dresser, only to get stuck as the foe started to come my way. I mashed away at the keyboard, but my dude wouldn't budge, I was stuck there as I heard it's footsteps getting closer and closer. Fucking terrifying, especially for a claustrophobe like myself. Shamefully I alt tabbed out of the game before it could come in and finish me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
_tetsuo_ said:
What. The. Fuck.

No joke, it's like they commissioned someone to make the worst possible box art for the game, from both a marketing and aesthetic perspective.

I would buy a retail version just to have it, but not when it's looking like that.

Amnesia has just been updated in Steam to include what appears to be new single player content. After launching Amnesia from Steam, in the bottom right of the Amnesia launcher that pops up, there is a button that says "Justine". A new campaign, or something, I don't know yet but I'll find out in about 30 seconds.

If you are a rabid Amnesia fan, stop what you are doing this second and go to it. Stop reading this, go, now.

cbox

BY2K said:

Oh, there's actually most of the candles already lit, this is quite the change...

*Screen turns black*

Oh God. Oh GOD!

Great, water. What now?

My God, it's invisible.
This game hates me.

My brother came running into the room hysterically asking "what's wrong!!??" when he heard me screaming after that part LOL!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
subversus said:
I think most people who bought the game aren't able to complete it.

It's taking me much longer than it should, although I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end. It's a damn good game but it really does take a toll on your sanity. I've had a lot of sessions that lasted about 10 minutes before I bailed out because it was just too intense for the moment. That being said, I think I'll try to power through it tonight in light of the news about this Justine thing.

Interested in this possible new campaign. I'm at work so it would be nice if someone could investigate that further.

Vorador

Banned
Yeah, i bought this to support the developer, but i can't even play for more than 20 minutes. I'm perfectly fine with action/horror games life Dead Space and Resident Evil, but this game is the stuff of nightmares.

Snuggler said:
It's taking me much longer than it should, although I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end. It's a damn good game but it really does take a toll on your sanity. I've had a lot of sessions that lasted about 10 minutes before I bailed out because it was just too intense for the moment. That being said, I think I'll try to power through it tonight in light of the news about this Justine thing.

Interested in this possible new campaign. I'm at work so it would be nice if someone could investigate that further.

I'm going in now, I'll post about it when I've finished it which I should be able to do right now, however I can't alt-tab Amnesia for some reason so it could be a bit. Fucking hyped, though.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
theinfinityissue said:
If you are a rabid Amnesia fan, stop what you are doing this second and go to it. Stop reading this, go, now.
Yes master

Edit: Fuck, didn't have Amnesia installed. No matter. I'm just gonna sit here biting my nails for half an hour, I guess.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Damn, it's indeed a new campaign.

And you know what, I think I'm able to handle it this time. I'll continue my playthrough.

Sound design is superb.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, a new campaign just slips in like that? I'd make a new thread for the news but I can't find a single article about it, even on Frictional's site.

Looks like it has something to do with this Valve/Potato thing.

Snuggler said:
Wow, a new campaign just slips in like that? I'd make a new thread for the news but I can't find a single article about it, even on Frictional's site.
It is part of the PotatoFools ARG, there is a little information on the site of the developers but very unclear. It happens with a lot of games a few minutes ago.

omimasum

Neo Member
are the noises that you hear in the game just an illusion, its the sound that not makes me want to go on any further damn

Dascu

Just tried it. Died.
Got into the water area, ran into a side-room with some gears in it and a note from Daniel. The chase music didn't fade, but I tried to go into the main room anyway. Monster was still there and it killed me.

This is harder and scarier than the main campaign. Yikes.

It seems there are no checkpoints. You die, you start over.

omimasum said:
are the noises that you hear in the game just an illusion, its the sound that not makes me want to go on any further damn
Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's an actual monster.

Dascu

Zenith said:
Can someone describe the new content?
A new set of straightforward "trial rooms", as the game describes it. Sort of evokes Portal in that regard, especially due to the new narrator.

Not sure how long it is, since I died a few areas in.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Dear god, this new mode is fucking intense as shit. Fuck. Played for half an hour, died, and now I think I need a break.

ahoyhoy said:
Dear god, this new mode is fucking intense as shit. Fuck. Played for half an hour, died, and now I think I need a break.

Glad to hear this. I loved the intense moments in the main story.

Fourman said:
Glad to hear this. I loved the intense moments in the main story.

Those are nothing. Get fucking ready.

Could you imagine waking up to that scenario? How fucking horrifying. Testing the limits the human mind...whew

gibration

I bought this game recently and for some reason every time I save and exit it doesn't save anymore. Which kind of sucks because I want to finish this game but I don't want to go through those scary moments again. lol Anyone else have this same problem?

O.DOGG

I just finished the original campaign so I can start Justine. Unfortunately I have to do some studying now, so maybe tomorrow. How long is the new campaign?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
O.DOGG said:
I just finished the original campaign so I can start Justine. Unfortunately I have to do some studying now, so maybe tomorrow. How long is the new campaign?

Depends. If you try to do everything right and explore, it might take an hour or so. However, it can easily be finished in 10 minutes if you just rush through it.

Edit: HAPPY 1000 posts!

chris121580

BY2K said:

*Screen turns black*

Oh God. Oh GOD!

Great, water. What now?

My God, it's invisible.
This game hates me.
:lol By far the best part of the game. So awesome

I just played the demo, and I got to the part where you have to try and stay out of the water. I died twice because the controls and camera are terrible for making precise jumps onto tiny crates. It's also not helped by the fact that some of the crates are too far apart to jump, so you have to go into the water briefly, and hope you aren't killed. Oh, and you have to do this quickly, because you need to get through a door on time.

Sorry, but if this is the experience I'm confronted with only 10 minutes into the demo, I've lost all interest. I can't remember the last time I had to fight the controls and mechanics of a game so much.

Dascu

Ben2749 said:
I just played the demo, and I got to the part where you have to try and stay out of the water. I died twice because the controls and camera are terrible for making precise jumps onto tiny crates. It's also not helped by the fact that some of the crates are too far apart to jump, so you have to go into the water briefly, and hope you aren't killed. Oh, and you have to do this quickly, because you need to get through a door on time.

Sorry, but if this is the experience I'm confronted with only 10 minutes into the demo, I've lost all interest. I can't remember the last time I had to fight the controls and mechanics of a game so much.
I personally had no issue with the controls for those parts, and I'm generally terrible at making jumps with kb/m in first-person games. Regardless, two things to note:
1) You can distract the water creature by throwing objects (especially chunks of meat) into the water.
2) If I remember correctly, there's only one other part in the game like that.

Top Bottom