• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Played another hour or two tonight. Got through the back hall and the dungeon, and finished the cistern control room puzzle.

This game is knocking months off my life.

A couple of points that shows that this is a great game.

- While making my way through the
prison
I started blabbering to myself, comforting me, whistling happy videogame-songs and making alot of random noises. I was definitely as insane as Daniel at that point.

- Also in the
prison
I met a monster, ran like bitch for cover in one of the
cells
and peaked out through the bars to see were he was at. When I didn't think I had a good enough view of things I moved my head higher in real life, like I was wearing track-IR or something. Immersion 150%.

- Fistpumping with both hands every time I finish a section.

- After
draining the blood from the dead guy at the morgue
, I ran around for awhile unsure of what to do next. At one moment I randomly threw one of those vials on
the naked corpse
, just out of frustration and BAM! A fucking zombie busts through the door and proceeds to murder me while I pathetically try to hide. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but the timing was so perfect that it felt scripted. I love games that are dynamic enough that they allow people to have small scenarios like that occur.

I think I'm nearing the end now and it's gonna have to turn real shitty to not be one of my favourite horror-games ever. Can't wait to play more!

Malio

Wow, glad I found this thread. This game looks seriously bad-ass.

Gonna hit it up on Steam tonight!

Malio said:
Wow, glad I found this thread. This game looks seriously bad-ass.

Gonna hit it up on Steam tonight!
Yeah, I think this thread is due for a title-change. Game deserves something more eye-catching.

Dascu

Going through the
north prison block
area.

It's been a while since I've screamed and cursed at a game. : (

Dascu

So it was dark and I turned on my lantern and then I saw a monster a few steps in front of me so I turned around and turned off the lantern and starting running and I kept running until I couldn't go any further and I thought I was at a junction and I wanted to go right but there was no right. Only a cold brick wall and the monster right behind me.

clip said:
Suggestions?
Not any good ones no, since I'm neither witty or creative. Just something that indicates that this is a damn good horror-game that is worth peoples time. "Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT| You will shit your pants" or "Scariest game you will play this year" or something in that vein.

Not a jab at you or your thread btw, just want more people to play it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
In the prison I lit a torch on one of the stars and started walking up, suddenly a growl and a monster walks around the corner right at the top. I turn around and book it back down and turn to a side passage. I hear a howl behind me and I run straight for the lit door at the end of the hallway. Suddenly another howl, a person screaming and a body gets slammed into the door, warping it right in front of me. I am totally panicked at this point. I spin around and dive into one of the side doors and cower in a corner listening to the monster on the other side of the wall smashing doors looking for me.

In those few seconds my sanity went from crystal clear to "..."

Miau

Neo Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
Anyone playing this on bootcamp with a macbook pro?
Don't laugh.

Why play it on Bootcamp? I've been playing it on OS X and I can assure you it runs very well. Their OS X ports are terrific.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hope this game does well. These guys are masters of atmosphere. I cant imagine what they would do with serious money.

Dascu

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Just letting folks know that the "Custom story" tools have been released. Head on over to:

http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/

For documentation, and

http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/_media/tools:hpl_editor_suite.zip to download. Can't wait to see what GAF manages to do with these.
Hmm... I got some ideas for a horror game. This is very interesting.

Edit: Someone should totally do a mod of the main game to make it funny. Like replacing the footstep sound effects with squeaky clown shoe sounds and replacing the organic mass with candy. You know, like a parody of the game that even baby gamers can play.

clip

Crescendo170 said:
Not any good ones no, since I'm neither witty or creative. Just something that indicates that this is a damn good horror-game that is worth peoples time. "Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT| You will shit your pants" or "Scariest game you will play this year" or something in that vein.

I do too! Let's think of something good and request that a moderator change it.

Dascu said:
Hmm... I got some ideas for a horror game. This is very interesting.

Edit: Someone should totally do a mod of the main game to make it funny. Like replacing the footstep sound effects with squeaky clown shoe sounds and replacing the organic mass with candy. You know, like a parody of the game that even baby gamers can play.

I was hoping some kind of collab could come from this, I've got some ideas as well. Also, I don't see why anyone wouldn't try to work in some Lovecraftian themes into a custom story...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Just beat the game.

Awesome. I love it. Best horror game ever. I plan on playing through a second time with the commentary on soon enough. The custom editor thing is curious to me. Anyone know what the scripting is like?

Inkwell

Banned
I just finished this. Great game, but I think I may have missed a few things story-wise. For the most part I understand everything that happened with Daniel, but I may have missed some explanation on the background/origins of:

Alexander
Agrippa
Weyer
the monsters

I'm not sure if missed some documents or possibly rushed through/misread anything. I searched for something that would explain a little more but found nothing.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Just letting folks know that the "Custom story" tools have been released. Head on over to:

http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/

For documentation, and

http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/_media/tools:hpl_editor_suite.zip to download. Can't wait to see what GAF manages to do with these.
Taking a brief look at this, I have no doubts that the community can make content as good as the game itself. It's just a matter of people getting together or a person putting the time and effort in.
BobsRevenge said:
The custom editor thing is curious to me. Anyone know what the scripting is like?
It's C like.

owlbeak

Fffuuu.....the
morgue
. :-O

I had no idea I'd be traipsing through a morgue...and the two rooms with piles of bodies is...god dammit.
I entered the sewers and was too creeped out to keep going tonight. :]

Crescendo170 said:

Maybe some sort of challenge to GAF's manliness. "|OT| of Guranteed to Reduce You to a Sniveling Pussy"

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I bought the Penumbra trilogy earlier this year but haven't gone through them yet. Glad to see Amnesia is (presumably) selling well. Still charting on Steam...

Just had an epic moment with the game and decided to write up a little prose to describe what happened. Not sure if I'm just really lucky or what but I was almost certain I was going to die or have my character go insane and then die several times during the new part of the game I just entered.

The following is a spoiler free description of what happened, as details and place names are left out, but people who have played the level I am talking about will know which one it is
prison

Some information that you might need to know: Daniel is the main character of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. His reactions are often in-tune with your own during various events of the game, but an additional layer of sanity controls how you perceive events through his eyes and his own psychological and physical reactions to different things. Thus it benefits you in the game as well as in reality, to remain as calm as you can to ensure your survival.

---

By now my character's breath comes quick and falls out of his mouth in ragged strips of barely concealed panic. I check my vitals in the menu and see that nervousness has given way to borderline insanity following the unexplained disembodied torso lying just inside the area I have just entered. Trying to calm down, I light the lantern and walk down a very dark and misty corridor.

After taking a few cautious steps I see a staircase leading down. It seems like I am always going down, and my character stumbles, a flashback gripping his mind, a voice remarking on how there are sacrifices that must be made to ensure safety. Continuing on, I slowly make my way down the staircase before being halted in my tracks halfway down. An ominous growl pierces the rhythm of my breathing and my character whimpers as I hear the footsteps from behind. Before I can even turn all the way around to peek, I am greeted with a terrible wail. A sign that whatever is out there has me in its sights.

At this point it's not just the game character who is freaking out. The last thing I see before my lantern gutters out is a dark figure shambling out from the top of the stairs. Spinning my mouse wildly to turn my view in the other direction, I slam the shift key and run as fast as I can down the stairs towards the faint light of a door further down the hall. Of course by now my sanity is completely wrecked, the panic music pounding in my ears and my screen a complete blur. Still, I manage to crash into the door and grasp it with my mouse long enough swing it open, rush in, and slam it shut behind me.

Safe? The sounds are growing louder. No. Not safe at all. Quickly looking around the room, I manage to slide a nearby bed in front of the door just before the banging starts. My hopes of hiding here are dashed when I realize that there is a candle producing light in one corner and without the darkness I have nothing else to hide behind. With no idea how long until the door breaks, I panic and crouch in the corner opposite the candle.

Suddenly the banging stops and I hear the footsteps and growling again. I consider running but I just can't do it. So I sit, my character shivering and hallucinating bugs crawling all over the wall as I wait for the monster to finish me. After a minute, it sounds like it has gone. I slowly turn around and am faced with the side of the bed completely blocking my view as it lays on its side.

I realize what has happened. In it's frantic attack, the monster must have smacked the bed, and it happened to fall in front of me on its side, hiding me and saving my life. Real life sigh of relief. In-game cry of desperation...just quiet enough to not be heard. Just weak enough to ignore and carry on the dark descent.

---

And that was that. Afterward I decided to save and quit for the night. Can only take so much from this game in one sitting.

I'm at work and haven't had a chance to look at the mod tools...but how robust are they? Could someone make an actual "Lovecraft" game, set in the his universe?

Finished it last night. Ending was disapointing.

It's too bad, since the build-up with the torture-chambers was incredibly disturbing. The turning-point came when zombies ambush you and put you in a cell. I actually laughed out loud at that point since it seemed so contrived; out of control, flesh-eating living dead degraded to slobbering gorilla henchmen. After that a non-frightening and non-challenging chase followed by a fetch-quest to save some dude I didn't care about at all.(I left him for dead btw)

There was many ways they could have handled the Alexander-battle and I think few would've been as anti-climactic as the one they choose. I don't mind the fact that it was an easy encounter since it works with the whole notion that Alexander was a weak old man, but I was hoping for something that would make the grey area regarding Daniels character and morals abit more grey. Like him dragging Alexander to the torture-chamber and doing a "Paint the man, cut the lines"- sort of thing or whatever. At the very least something more interesting/satisfying than pushing some pillars and see a naked man disappear in a puff of smoke. Seems so uninspired and lazy to me.

Overall though, I must say that Amnesia is a fucking fantastic horror-game. I can't recall the last time I've been this immersed in a single-player game, if ever. I've had nightmares about this game every night since I started playing it. Fractional freaking nailed it.

ArjanN

Crescendo170 said:
Finished it last night. Ending was disapointing.

It's too bad, since the build-up with the torture-chambers was incredibly disturbing. The turning-point came when zombies ambush you and put you in a cell. I actually laughed out loud at that point since it seemed so contrived; out of control, flesh-eating living dead degraded to slobbering gorilla henchmen. After that a non-frightening and non-challenging chase followed by a fetch-quest to save some dude I didn't care about at all.(I left him for dead btw)

There was many ways they could have handled the Alexander-battle and I think few would've been as anti-climactic as the one they choose. I don't mind the fact that it was an easy encounter since it works with the whole notion that Alexander was a weak old man, but I was hoping for something that would make the grey area regarding Daniels character and morals abit more grey. Like him dragging Alexander to the torture-chamber and doing a "Paint the man, cut the lines"- sort of thing or whatever. At the very least something more interesting/satisfying than pushing some pillars and see a naked man disappear in a puff of smoke. Seems so uninspired and lazy to me.

Overall though, I must say that Amnesia is a fucking fantastic horror-game. I can't recall the last time I've been this immersed in a single-player game, if ever. I've had nightmares about this game every night since I started playing it. Fractional freaking nailed it.

To get the best ending you have to
help Agrippa

The ending wasn't especially fantastic but it was soured moreso by people doing the whole 'cake is a lie' things where you quote lines from the game and worse still comparing it to
Bioshock's a man chooses
ending. Which made me completely aware of what the game was trying to make me do.

The dramatic arc was just sort of- silly, really. The
torture sequences
were really powerful and best left to the imagination. Just the thought of the brass
bull
is seared into my memory- most of the other
torture
devices I had prior knowledge of. I think they could have made his flashback where you visit
the village and capture the children
a lot better by having you actually act it out further in gameplay. But that moment was still wretched.

Perhaps the ending was left underdeveloped because they didn't have time and were really struggling for cash- who knows. Still an awesome game. Died 4 times, bit ashamed but hiding behind barrels was pretty fail. This game will certainly feature in my game of the year voting.

one last edit. The sound files for the
screaming
sounded like it was recorded on a
rollercoaster
, that was the only place the sound really slipped up I think.
Crescendo170 said:
- Also in the
prison
I met a monster, ran like bitch for cover in one of the
cells
and peaked out through the bars to see were he was at. When I didn't think I had a good enough view of things I moved my head higher in real life, like I was wearing track-IR or something. Immersion 150%.
Yeah when I was in the misty hall my head was ducking down by my monitor as I saw the walker patrol by looking for me. I saw just sitting in the corner looking at the floor.

ArjanN said:
To get the best ending you have to
help Agrippa
Yeah, I've watched the endings on youtube.
Same deal with a different cutscene. Don't think I would've been any more pleased if i'd gotten that ending tbh.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished it a few hours ago. The whole ending was indeed rather anticlimactic and uninspired, but the buildup was pretty great. I personally think the game peaked in the prison areas, where it felt the most dynamic and 'random,' like monsters could literally pop up anywhere and you really felt like a rat in a maze. Everything afterwards felt a little too 'small' or confined to really play to the strengths of it's mechanics, and the hide and seek creeping horror was replaced with more macabre and disturbing depictions of torture and general weirdness. I really enjoyed it but I just wish there was more. :(

fuck the iron maiden

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
luka said:
fuck the iron maiden
I'll never know why I stepped inside of it and started closing it. I was just curious if the game would do anything I suppose. lol it definitely made me jump.

Dascu

Finished it. I agree that the later sections weren't quite as good or as scary as some of the earlier ones. The ending itself was a bit short and abrupt, but I don't mind that.

Brilliant horror game. It's a shame it'll be overlooked because it's not on the consoles.

http://beefjack.com/news/reviewer-leaked-amnesia-the-dark-descent-say-frictional/

Reviewer Leaked Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Say Frictional

According to Frictional Games, an early version of Amnesia: The Dark Descent that appeared on torrent sites before the game’s release seemed to have been placed there by a reviewer.
“I think the most alarming thing was that the game was available as a pirated copy 24 hours or so before release,” said Thomas Grip in a blog post. “Since we released the game online only, we were not expecting this, and the source of the illegal copy was one of our review copies (with tracking info hacked away).
“We are not sure what to do about this in the future, but we will have to be more careful.”
Last week, Frictional told BeefJack of their financial struggles while developing its acclaimed new horror game. “There have been several occasions when we seriously considered dropping the project. We have had to cut salaries almost in half – and they were low to start with,” said Grip.
“Our future as a company depends on this game not flopping, so plenty of butterflies in the stomach.”
But despite critical reception being overwhelmingly positive, sales are “only ‘good’,” said Frictional’s co-founder.
“We are still in business – but there are a few ‘buts’ to this,” he said.
“We were hoping a really successful release would make us 100% unworried about finances, but that is not what has happened. Even though reviews keep coming in from major outlets and we keep pushing out marketing material (videos, release of tools, etc) sales are dropping fast. Around 50% of our current earnings were made in less than a week and on pre-orders from before release. The sales were at the top during the last hour of the Steam 20% discount, and has since dropped almost exponentially, being pretty much halved each day.”
When compared to sales of a similar profile release on other formats, such as XBLA, Frictional say they’re somewhat disappointed. What’s been the cause of the slightly underwhelming sales? “Piracy? People waiting for future massive discounted sales? Game too scary / niche? Right now we have not got a clue,” wrote Grip, “but hopefully it will become clearer further on.”
Amnesia: The Dark Descent scored a very favourable 8.3 out of 10 at BeefJack last week. You can purchase the game via Steam, GamersGate, and the official website.

Big post from there blog going more into it -

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-week-after-release-of-amnesia.html

These guys deserve better :/

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah the situation sucks, but I'm glad Frictional Games will still be around making more games after Amnesia at least. I know they have lots of great ideas and people interested in the horror genre (or just horror in general) should really check out their blog: http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ogs said:
http://beefjack.com/news/reviewer-leaked-amnesia-the-dark-descent-say-frictional/

Reviewer Leaked Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Say Frictional

Big post from there blog going more into it -

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-week-after-release-of-amnesia.html

These guys deserve better :/
The game doesn't even really make an impact on the biggest tracker in the world (755 seeders, as opposed to 4458 seeders for Mafia 2, for instance; leechers-wise, it's not even in the top 60 (all PC charting here)). The grand majority of consumers likely hasn't pirated it, if the Steam sales chart is to be trusted.

I mean, sure, they could use all those sales, obviously, but with such a low profile even among pirates, I don't think the root cause's there.

It's just incredibly niche! I don't think people are really aware of the title's existence as well, despite the reviews. For instance, Jeff Gerstmann said there's some buzz about it, but he hadn't even touched it on Monday. And that guy does mainstream, so if he hasn't touched your game, your game isn't mainstream.

I don't really have a solution, and I want the guys to succeed in every possible way, but seeing the exposure, their PR work isn't exactly spectacular. The video sites didn't really pick the game up despite it being a good scare-scene horse, for example. Why is that?

Also, the release window isn't the best. They probably couldn't, but it would have been SO much smarter to get the game out around Halloween and market it with that in mind.

So make a sale on Halloween, guys.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well i fuckin bought my copy. Sucks frictional is having to slash salaries to stay in business. They made a great game and deserve better.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Finished the game yesterday. While the ending doesn't compare to the whole experience, it's still pretty good. Altogether, a must-have title in my book!

The developer tools are sorta weird, but I know how that is, haha

DavidJaffe.biz said:
Not sure where I'm going to fall on this one yet. On one hand it's very plodding and slow and the story- so far- is very confusing. On the other hand, there seems to be tons of spirit and love and freshness about this game; like a really cool passion behind it. Only about 1 hour in- gonna stick with it a bit more (still have not been chased yet which I hear is the whole point). LOVE the biz model tho. Not sure if it's working for them but 20 bucks, digitally distributed with a clear desire to break out of the 'me too' box of game design, visuals are good enough, but not so amazing they broke the bank and thus had to charge 60 dollars. Budget titles follow this as well, but rarely are there budget titles with this much ambition and heart.

Top Bottom