• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Open & Honest Conversation about Some Who Leaked The Wrong Specs About PlayStation 5

fybyfyby

What I stated are facts.
Its not my fault they hurt your feelings.
By the way I never stated that the PS5 couldn't do everything the XSX can do at lower settings. Of course it can.
You stated facts, but you misinterpreted them.
Here is really not important, how much absolute difference you have, but how much relative difference you have.

If you have two cars, one with 450 BHP and other 500 BHP. Will you say that 450 BHP is crap? Probably both will be very fast (if other parts in car are good of course) and attractive.

On the other side if you have 50 and 100 BHP car, the scond one will be significantly faster. You see now, that asbolute difference isnt so important? In percentage, 450 vs 500 means first car is 10% slower. In second case with same absolute difference, first car is 50% slower.

You can of course speculate, what you can do with 50 BHP, ok. But it isnt so much interesting, if difference is only 10%.

Thats the point!

Genx3

You stated facts, but you misinterpreted them.
Here is really not important, how much absolute difference you have, but how much relative difference you have.

If you have two cars, one with 450 BHP and other 500 BHP. Will you say that 450 BHP is crap? Probably both will be very fast (if other parts in car are good of course) and attractive.

On the other side if you have 50 and 100 BHP car, the scond one will be significantly faster. You see now, that asbolute difference isnt so important? In percentage, 450 vs 500 means first car is 10% slower. In second case with same absolute difference, first car is 50% slower.

You can of course speculate, what you can do with 50 BHP, ok. But it isnt so much interesting, if difference is only 10%.

Thats the point!

When Next gen comes we'll see the differences 2 RDNA2 TF'S and 110 GBPS bandwidth make...

fybyfyby

When Next gen comes we'll see the differences 2 RDNA2 TF'S and 110 GBPS bandwidth make...
Yes, youre right. Anyway, consoles have slightly different system architecture (I dont mean chip architecture) and also different API layer. So Im curious how much difference there will be in the end. Because Im hw fanatic, Im looking forward for DF analysis. From my perspective, its very exciting to watch their analysis, but it never had any influence on gaming experience for me.

And I think this will be the same. If I saw for the first time what was possible to accomplish on 1,8 TF GPU in Uncharted 4.....WOW. Can you imagine what will be possible with 10 and 12 TF but x generations later (I mean actual comparision between RDNA2 and GCN cant be done solely by TF count, RDNA1 is faster and RDNA2 is rumoured it will be even 50% more effective then RDNA1) ?

ZywyPL

Banned

I think the differences won't start to show up earlier than ~2023 - launch games and cross-gen titles that are inevitably happening yet again won't be able to fully stress the upcoming consoles, not even close. I fully expect 4K60 from most if not all 3rd party titles for the first few years, it should be like a walk in the park for PS5/XBX.

I think the differences won't start to show up earlier than ~2023 - launch games and cross-gen titles that are inevitably happening yet again won't be able to fully stress the upcoming consoles, not even close. I fully expect 4K60 from most if not all 3rd party titles for the first few years, it should be like a walk in the park for PS5/XBX.

I agree. Do you think there will even be a need for a Pro revision this gen? I used to think so but I am no longer confident either way

AGRacing

“Exceed 40 cu’s” was indeed incorrect but just for the record... the PS5 chip does indeed have 40 cu’s on it.... but 4 need to be shut off for yields. I believe Xbox has more than 52 on the chip as well (56?). I’m sure if yields were incredible there could have been an opportunity to use all 40.... but that always was an extreme Hail Mary long shot. Someone may have leaked “40+” cu’s to him and it could have gotten jumbled around.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I agree. Do you think there will even be a need for a Pro revision this gen? I used to think so but I am no longer confident either way

If 8K becomes standard next gen as 4K became standard this gen, then Sony would have a reason to release a revised PS5 that's capable of truly running games at 8K. The base-model PS5 and XSX will support 8K output, but we all know that they won't be powerful enough to run games at that resolution.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
“Exceed 40 cu’s” was indeed incorrect but just for the record... the PS5 chip does indeed have 40 cu’s on it.... but 4 need to be shut off for yields. I believe Xbox has more than 52 on the chip as well (56?). I’m sure if yields were incredible there could have been an opportunity to use all 40.... but that always was an extreme Hail Mary long shot. Someone may have leaked “40+” cu’s to him and it could have gotten jumbled around.

What percentage of chips do you suppose have at least 36 functioning CUs? What percentage do you think have the entire 40 CUs working?

fybyfyby

If 8K becomes standard next gen as 4K became standard this gen, then Sony would have a reason to release a revised PS5 that's capable of truly running games at 8K. The base-model PS5 and XSX will support 8K output, but we all know that they won't be powerful enough to run games at that resolution.
Another reason is, that with resolution, its nonsense to go to infinity. There was big visual difference between 720p and 1080p. There was also difference between 1080p and 2160p, but it depended on what TV size you have. 8K for most of users doesnt bring any advantages. Of course you can buy bigger and bigger TV or sit closer and closer. It depends. I think some people would not recognize 1080p against 2160p (mainly sub 50" tv owners, with large rooms).

ZywyPL

Banned

Depends on the 8K adoption IMO. Both PS5 and XBX for me sound too good to be true, I don't think we will ever see any dev complaining about the hardware limitations, bottlenecks etc., with so much processing and computing power, a lot of fast RAM, and (finally!) SSD storage, nothing will hold the devs back from realizing their visions for quite some time.

SNG32

At the end of the day the average consumer doesn’t give a shit about the specs on consoles. All they care about is price and games. Sony has years in providing quality exclusives and will continue to sell well because of this. Microsoft are going into this generation in a 10 times better position then they were with Xbox one. By having game pass with a console launch they definitely will be closing the gap this generation.

Rudius

I think you should be less aware of the TFs. None will disappoint you. Although exceptional hardware is useless if the SDKs are not fully up to the task. Think more about what games you want to play and the choice will be easy. You are comparing a Ferrari and a Lamborghiny. You really are wasting your time. The console war as you knew it is coming to an end, it no longer makes sense, we are in an era where the most important thing will be software (games) over hardware. It is as if we came from the era of horse-drawn carriage. And let's move on to the automobile era. And people try to have conversations about horse-drawn carriages applying that law to the automobile. It is unsustainable, but you will realize it. You should be more aware of other details, such as the implication of the fact that the front light of the DS4 has disappeared in the DSense. That small detail is more important in the set than it can be to speak of idyllic TFs. Over time (maybe a lot) you will understand the "why".

On the other hand, I understand that from here to the consoles come out you have to talk about something, but really, I would take advantage of this time to open my mind to what is to come.
To me this mean that the PSVR2 will have Quest style tracking.

I was playing some GT Sport in VR today. It's just amazing, but I know something better is just around the corner and almost cannot contain my impatience.

AGRacing

What percentage of chips do you suppose have at least 36 functioning CUs? What percentage do you think have the entire 40 CUs working?
Absolutely no idea. All we know is that it’s not enough to be financially viable or else they would have done it.

I think only three are disabled, as tempest uses a CU.

Kumomeme

When Next gen comes especially in long run we'll see how the 2 dual speed memory set up 10gb faster and 6gb slower bandwidth make...

thereotically, from what i understand despite 110gbps difference the bandwith allocation for each cu should be 'enough' since the console had lesser cu but i dont know about long run

Last edited:

Genx3

When Next gen comes especially in long run we'll see how the 2 dual speed memory set up 10gb faster and 6gb slower bandwidth make...

thereotically, from what i understand despite 110gbps difference the bandwith allocation for each cu should be 'enough' since the console had lesser cu but i dont know about long run

MS already explained that the memory is Assymetric and is something that couldn't be done on PC but is a customization they made. The fact they mentioned it can't be done on PC that way means the XSX memory does not work like PC's memory.
You will always have a max of 560 GBps Theoretical Bandwidth shared by the CPU & GPU. Since its one large memory pool just like the PS5 the XSX GPU has to share that BW with the CPU. The CPU's max Theoretical BW is 330 GBps using only the 6 GB designed around the System memory.
The GPU's Theoretical max BW is 560 GBps. Since they are sharing that BW what ever the CPU is using is taking away from the GPU BW and vice versa.

Kumomeme

MS already explained that the memory is Assymetric and is something that couldn't be done on PC but is a customization they made. The fact they mentioned it can't be done on PC that way means the XSX memory does not work like PC's memory.
You will always have a max of 560 GBps Theoretical Bandwidth shared by the CPU & GPU. Since its one large memory pool just like the PS5 the XSX GPU has to share that BW with the CPU. The CPU's max Theoretical BW is 330 GBps using only the 6 GB designed around the System memory.
The GPU's Theoretical max BW is 560 GBps. Since they are sharing that BW what ever the CPU is using is taking away from the GPU BW and vice versa.
yep..thats what i understand too..as far i understand devs also free to choose which one they want to use...but there concern whether the 10gb high speed is enough or not compared to assuming 13gb over 16 of ps5...same with the 'bit slower' 448gbs bandwith for ps5..we'll see how it goes in long run

we'll see..so far all we had just speculation from people..the gen not even started yet

Last edited:
Top Bottom