• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst behind predicting ps4 pro and slim says ps4 sucessor is coming 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
The silly thing was releasing PS4 Pro and the whole iterative console concept.

Disagree. People currently expect new versions of devices to have more improvements than just size. It would have been silly if there was a lack of game compatibility but that wasn't the case.

PS5 in 2018 makes a lot of sense.

It honestly wouldn't make sense to me regardless of the PS4 Pro. The PS4 is currently swinging with many games and many developers comfortable with using the system. Cut off its peak period instantly just to release the PS5? Really silly -- especially (again) with the PS4 Pro. It would cause many to wonder when the right time would be to upgrade since Sony would have released multiple consoles/versions in such a short span of time.

New phones can release every year because people NEED phones. They are tools. People don't need game consoles at the point in which it would make sense for a company to release a new $300-$400 box every two years or less.

Yoday

I think 2019 allows them to introduce a PS5 with the 7nm process, but 2020 allows them to do 7nm with better yields and thus a lower price. It will most likely be 2020, same for MS. I don't see a new gen starting without 7nm, as that is what will provide the power increase that's needed. People hoping for 2018 are out of their minds. Sony already put out their mid gen refresh, they aren't going to put out another one two years later just to barely out perform the Scorpio.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think 2019 allows them to introduce a PS5 with the 7nm process, but 2020 allows them to do 7nm with better yields and thus a lower price. It will most likely be 2020, same for MS. I don't see a new gen starting without 7nm, as that is what will provide the power increase that's needed. People hoping for 2018 are out of their minds. Sony already put out their mid gen refresh, they aren't going to put out another one two years later just to barely out perform the Scorpio.

GAF would be insufferable, it would be nothing but PS4.5.

This post nails it. Once the AAA titles slow down, the writing will be on the wall

I'd say 2020. No way it's 2018. The PS4, Xbox One and Switch had a great launch because people were craving for a new system. The PS4 is still gonna be very popular in fall 2018.

jdstorm

Banned

So why not just release an improvement over the PS4 with largely old tech in 2018 and then Release a 7nm console in 2023 when 7nm yeilds are even better and most of the Next Gen Arcitecture stuff is much more mature?

That would lead to better profit margin

GLAMr

I would believe a 2018 announcement for a 2019 release at the earliest. Even then it seems so unlikely, as the PS4 still has serious legs. They're predicting 18 million for this fiscal year; surely over 10 million the following year would not be unreasonable. Why stomp out that fire?

Teletraan1

Banned
I hope they move on as soon as a viable Zen is ready tbh. I think a PS5 2 years or even a little less after the Pro appears is fine. It was a mid gen refresh, expecting much more life than that is foolish and these consoles need to move on from Jaguar. Last generation was pure stagnation. Don't want a repeat.

Elandyll

Banned
Nah.

Announced February or March 2019, out Nov 2019 with probably Zen+ APU and Vega GPU w 1Tb HDd and 16Gb Hbm3 Ram.

All according to keikaku.

It's all good, was a fun little chat. I can definitely see were you're coming from too, and it's fine wanting even more bang for your buck.

Pro owners would have every right to be pissed if a PS5 releases next year imo, I don't have 1 but I'd be pissed too and would never touch a Sony mid gen upgrade ever, as I'd have no faith in them being worthwhile. Can even see some being annoy if it releases in 2019, I know the Pro announcement annoyed me a little, despite having a PS4 since launch.

You'd be pissed to find out your mid-gen upgrade was a mid-gen upgrade?

Memento

Holiday 2019.

The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding cross gen + Horizon 2 for the launch line up.

Sales records for console launch. Again.

dano1

A Sheep
Games as a service needs to happen asap, I won't buy a yearly refresh of these machines.
Were do you come up with yearly?
It's been about 3 years. And I'm in on that.
And if you don't want to buy the upgrade you don't have to!!

FStubbs

GAF would be insufferable, it would be nothing but PS4.5.

Maybe that's the point of all this. Since the PS4 and PS4 Pro are basically x86 PCs running a locked down Sony OS, they could easily release an upgraded model every 2 years with a targetable baseline - for example games targeting the 2018 PS4 would still support the original, but starting with the 2020 PS4, games like whatever Disgaea would be the latest one would still support original PS4, but the latest GTA could drop OG PS4 support and just target Pro, 2018, and 2020.

The usual R&D overhead of a new console is reduced dramatically and Sony is never in danger of losing the power race - if Scorpio comes out in 2017, the 2018 PS4 beats it, etc.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe that's the point of all this. Since the PS4 and PS4 Pro are basically x86 PCs running a locked down Sony OS, they could easily release an upgraded model every 2 years with a targetable baseline - for example games targeting the 2018 PS4 would still support the original, but starting with the 2020 PS4, games like whatever Disgaea would be the latest one would still support original PS4, but the latest GTA could drop OG PS4 support and just target Pro, 2018, and 2020.

The usual R&D overhead of a new console is reduced dramatically and Sony is never in danger of losing the power race - if Scorpio comes out in 2017, the 2018 PS4 beats it, etc.

The words that instantly came into my head were videogame crash.

I will take this as a bad sign.

dano1

A Sheep
The words that instantly came into my head were videogame crash.

I will take this as a bad sign.

Video game crash happened because the games were crap!! It had nothing to do with having machines that could play awesome new games that will look and perform better..

Might want to think again.

jdmonmou

Disagree. People currently expect new versions of devices to have more improvements than just size. It would have been silly if there was a lack of game compatibility but that wasn't the case.

It honestly wouldn't make sense to me regardless of the PS4 Pro. The PS4 is currently swinging with many games and many developers comfortable with using the system. Cut off its peak period instantly just to release the PS5? Really silly -- especially (again) with the PS4 Pro. It would cause many to wonder when the right time would be to upgrade since Sony would have released multiple consoles/versions in such a short span of time.

New phones can release every year because people NEED phones. They are tools. People don't need game consoles at the point in which it would make sense for a company to release a new $300-$400 box every two years or less.

That's why I say the PS4 Pro and the iterative console concept is silly. The Pro was only a slight upgrade that was only really meant for people with 4K TVs. I find it confusing that people think it was supposed to make this generation longer when Sony gave no indication that this was their intention.

I don't think a lot of people would be saying that a 2018 release date for PS5 is too soon if the Pro never existed. A lot of people would be hyped for a fully backwards compatible next gen PS5 in 2018 that gave all their PS4 games a graphical boost. All the games you mention in the pipeline for PS4 could still come out for both PS4 and PS5 in parallel. At the beginning of this generation you had a lot of PS4 and Xbox One games still being released on Xbox 360 & PS3.

It would be the ultimate way for Sony to keep their boot on the neck of MS. A rumor of a more powerful PS5 in 2018 would take a lot of momentum away from MS' most powerful console marketing for the Scorpio.

Donthizz#

i'm sure right now journalists are talking to their inside sources. if we start getting spec leaks this year then it's happening for sure.

Crayon

...still support original PS4, but the latest GTA could drop OG PS4 support and just target Pro, 2018, and 2020.

No there is never going to be a game that plays on ps4 pro but not regular ps4. Pro is a ps4. Just a ps4. If they change that they fuck everything up.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Video game crash happened because the games were crap!! It had nothing to do with having machines that could play awesome new games that will look and perform better..

Might want to think again.

Really? I never knew that!

Saturating a market with things and telling people that this is the one they must have. variable quality, people buying something to be outdated much quicker so not as attached to the hardware, not maximising the best of the hardware but having to make it work on many different configurations, you might as well give up on calling it a console.

Alternatively they could just stick with what people have liked for decades and make the best games possible!

dano1

A Sheep
Pro came out at the end if 2016, so if this were to pan out, it would be two years, not one, or nearly three.

Well the original PS4 came out the end of2013 if my math is correct that's 3 years?

2018 is a guess for the PS5 but if my math is correct again that would be 2 years?
But my guess is 2019.

But I don't see 1 year anywhere....

Saturating a market with things and telling people that this is the one they must have. variable quality, people buying something to be outdated much quicker so not as attached to the hardware, not maximising the best of the hardware but having to make it work on many different configurations, you might as well give up on calling it a console.

Alternatively they could just stick with what people have liked for decades and make the best games possible!
When's the cellphone or gfx card crash going to happen?

dano1

A Sheep

If your 3 year old machine plays games that your happy with why do you care I spent $400 on my new shiny toy?
I buy consoles because ease of use. But why shouldn't my games look as good as PC if I have the money.
People hated the idea of The PS4 Pro at first. But everyone that owns one (including me) loves it!!

orochi91

I don't see them releasing a new console until at least after GTA 6 and TLoU II.

That way, they'll be able to sell "remastered" versions for the PS5 launch year/window and cash in on a ton of double-dippers.

Basically, the PS3 ---> PS4 transition strategy.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If your 3 year old machine plays games that your happy with why do you care I spent $400 on my new shiny toy?
I buy consoles because ease of use. But why shouldn't my games look as good as PC if I have the money.
People hated the idea of The PS4 Pro at first. But everyone that owns one (including me) loves it!!

I made Worms, I care about games.

Satisfied?

No there is never going to be a game that plays on ps4 pro but not regular ps4. Pro is a ps4. Just a ps4. If they change that they fuck everything up.

I imagine they'll keep rolling with PS4 regular for years to come even when PS5 comes out. It will be like the equivalent of having the minimum spec to run a PC game. Its not the recommended way to play, but you still can.

Renekton

The 2018/2019 timelines are unrealistic.

Nowadays the big chips lag Apple SoCs to new node by 2 years. The gap will further increase due to design cost jumps and yield issues (see Intel's epic struggle with 10nm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom