• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

...and now I own a Switch

budpikmin

I recommend the official carry case. The kick stand is flim flam and holds the console at too high an angle so the stand built into the case is a god send.

HotHamBoy

IZVqu_F1_gif_noredirect.gif

I reject this with my entire body.

This. I swear these threads pop up every day or so now. Wish we could pin some threads so we stop getting the same requests.

It kinda sucks the mods won't allow Switch general discussion thread. The PSVR, PS4 Pro and Xbox One S all have dedicated threads so I'm not really sure why the Switch can't have one. It would be pretty useful since it is still a pretty new console, and there isn't really anywhere to for people to ask questions without making a whole thread for it.

Irminsul

I quite like the PDP cases. I picked up this one...
I have that one too, and I'm not completely satisfied. That net you put the Switch into just isn't a good idea due to the Joy-Con sticks. It's more of a hassle than it needs to be. Apart from that, I like its design as well as the storage space for games.

There have been so many of these threads. Don't we have a consolidated OT that has the bulk of this info?

OryoN

I wanted a tempered glass screen protector, but a plastic one came with the carrying case I bought... so I used it. It gets the job done, but it takes quite a bit of effort to get smudges out. I'm feeling a slight bit of regret(which I hope wouldn't grow further).

I wanted a tempered glass screen protector, but a plastic one came with the carrying case I bought... so I used it. It gets the job done, but it takes quite a bit of effort to get smudges out. I'm feeling a slight bit of regret(which I hope wouldn't grow further).
Well there were claims that some plastic ones start to peel off due to heat while docked.

Rouse

I got mine at the start of may, bent dock, left joy con that does not sit flush with the system and the actual switch itself is bent / wonky!

Emailed nintendo took them over 6 weeks to reply...

Spoke to them on the phone and asked them to confirm in writing that they would replace with a brand new system, and not refurb, had to wait 4 weeks for them to do that...

Gonna get them to change it, hoping they can transfer my saves...

Not to sound too negative / whiny it is a cracking piece of kit! Zelda and mario kart look fab on it. The screen is amazing and i love it. Obviously just annoyed with the issues that i have encountered, which hopefully can be sorted.

Cant wait for Mario!

I bought the Zelda case on launch day. It's more subtle in real life than it looks in that picture tbh - the art on the case is like an indentation and doesn't stand out even in full light.

It's a hard shell type case so it's great for protection. The inside is all soft fabric, and the back of the pouch in particular is extremely soft so that it doesn't scratch the screen. It also comes with two little cases that hold four Switch cartridges each, which fit nicely in the pouch along with a usb-c cable.

Where can I find it?

Can you...provide a Link?

mrchad

If I buy an extra pair of Joy Cons, should I buy a charging grip as well? The two methods to charge are charging grip or attached to the switch, correct?

BD&A has a licensing charging dock for two pairs of Joy Cons, but it's the same price as the charging grip, and I can already charge the original pair on the Switch itself when it's docked.

Ugh, between a second pair of Joy Cons, a charging grip and maybe a Pro controller, I'm going to end up spending another $150.

omg_mjd

I've had mine since May and never used a screen protector or a special case. Just pull it off the dock and toss it into my bag's iPad pocket when I go out.

No scratches yet.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've had mine since May and never used a screen protector or a special case. Just pull it off the dock and toss it into my bag's iPad pocket when I go out.

No scratches yet.

You've had it for around two months. People usually have their systems for years. Anyone that doesn't want a scratched up screen should invest a couple dollars for a nice screen protector.

LordofPwn

if you want to have a case that is battle tested and to make yourself seem more important i recommend the Pelican case with custom switch foam insert.
Best Switch Case

If you want something that can carry the system, dock, power, pro controller, and whatever else? then I'd recommend a bag of some sort. whether it be a messenger bag, backpack, or utility bag, that's up to you.

if you want to have a case that is battle tested and to make yourself seem more important i recommend the Pelican case with custom switch foam insert.
Best Switch Case

If you want something that can carry the system, dock, power, pro controller, and whatever else? then I'd recommend a bag of some sort. whether it be a messenger bag, backpack, or utility bag, that's up to you.

This seem perfect for the next rooftop party.

LordofPwn

This seem perfect for the next roof party.

it's perfect for when everyone has had a few drinks and the switch's battery is dead and some dumb bitch moves it off the table and sets it on the railing, then the 2 jackass bros start to get rowdy and bump into it and it goes off the railing onto the street, or if this is happening on your yacht, into the water. Your switch will most likely be fine.

Chessr

I bought the Zelda case on launch day. It's more subtle in real life than it looks in that picture tbh - the art on the case is like an indentation and doesn't stand out even in full light.

It's a hard shell type case so it's great for protection. The inside is all soft fabric, and the back of the pouch in particular is extremely soft so that it doesn't scratch the screen. It also comes with two little cases that hold four Switch cartridges each, which fit nicely in the pouch along with a usb-c cable.

Can recommend this one to

I have an Orzly screen protector and case. Both are fantastic. The case holds all the essentials for me (battery pack and cables mostly). I'd highly recommend the brand.

This. Love mine.

Orzly is such a fun name...

Oh, and I might think of having some kind of stand, there is multiple available. Aluminum or plastic usually, price is not bad. I need to get one myself, I love to play in tabletop mode but the angle is just a tad too small for me to fully enjoy playing.

FinKL

Just got my Amazon Prime Day Switch!

2 Things :

1) Is there a way to show only free demos on the e-shop? No games yet (have to pick up Zelda later) Wastes time clicking every game to see if there's a demo.

2) Splatoon 2 Demo, is only the tutorial level? Can I play it again or anything else or do I just have to wait to the 15th for this "Splatfest", which also happens to be the time when I get to try Sea of Thieves for the 1st time...

TransTrender

Gold Member
Don't get a case that requires you to detach the joy-cons.

Correct. I see a lot of people recommending those and I just don't see how you could.

Can recommend this one to
Same here.

Also went with this screen protector
This memory card when it was on sale
This battery pack for long trips

I have two pro controllers and they feel great but at $70 a pop they're quite expensive.
I want to get another set of Joy-Cons to have two but all the dual packs are sold out.
I'd also like to get custom colored shells for the Joy-Cons and it seems like there are some good ones on Alibaba but I don't trust anything on there. Any suggestions?

Another random musing:
People used to say the dock would scratch the screens but when I look in there it already has foam pads on either side and both ends. Was that not there at launch?

The other random thing was linking my WiiU account to the new (new to me) Nintendo login system. It didn't make any sense because I was already receiving Nintendo emails on my Gmail account but when I tried to link and do a password recovery it said there was no valid Nintendo account associated with that email address.

What you have to do is create a new account on the Nintendo site using the same email address and then it associates the existing old Nintendo account via the email address and I was up and running. Then I linked my WiiU e-shop dollars to the Switch and was good to go.

I got mine at the start of may, bent dock, left joy con that does not sit flush with the system and the actual switch itself is bent / wonky!

Emailed nintendo took them over 6 weeks to reply...

Spoke to them on the phone and asked them to confirm in writing that they would replace with a brand new system, and not refurb, had to wait 4 weeks for them to do that...

Gonna get them to change it, hoping they can transfer my saves...

Not to sound too negative / whiny it is a cracking piece of kit! Zelda and mario kart look fab on it. The screen is amazing and i love it. Obviously just annoyed with the issues that i have encountered, which hopefully can be sorted.

Cant wait for Mario!
Where are you from? Nintendo Germany was aces with my Joycon repair, first email to getting my Joycon back was less than 7 days.

I'd be pissed if I had to wait that long.

Dremorak

Banned
Its very unlikely your dock is "bent". Mine failed the supposed coin test and yet here I am, 4 months later, no screen protector, no scratches, funny how that works.

Correct. I see a lot of people recommending those and I just don't see how you could.

Same here.

Also went with this screen protector
This memory card when it was on sale
This battery pack for long trips

I have two pro controllers and they feel great but at $70 a pop they're quite expensive.
I want to get another set of Joy-Cons to have two but all the dual packs are sold out.
I'd also like to get custom colored shells for the Joy-Cons and it seems like there are some good ones on Alibaba but I don't trust anything on there. Any suggestions?

Another random musing:
People used to say the dock would scratch the screens but when I look in there it already has foam pads on either side and both ends. Was that not there at launch?.

Nice, thanks for the comments. Can't believe people prefer to bitch about a thread like this rather than share their experiences to fellow new Switch users.

mrchad

So I bought this 128GB microSDXC card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has Fast transfer speeds of up to 80MB/s.

Is playing games off of that going to be noticeably slower then playing off of the Switch internal 32GB drive?

I bought this card as well during the Prime day sale.

Eurogamer tested loading times on SDXC cards for Zelda and they were slightly slowed than internal storage, but otherwise comparable. They also said that as long as the card has a minimum UHS-1 rating, there's not much of a benefit to getting a faster (and more expensive) SDXC card.

Shikoba

Mine is inside a generic black Nintendo switch case. I think I might upgrade to a Splatoon case when they release with the game though. Just to make it fresh ;)

EDIT: Never mind I found more info on the hybrid cases. Not something I want.

Deku Tree

Eurogamer tested loading times on SDXC cards for Zelda and they were slightly slowed than internal storage, but otherwise comparable. They also said that as long as the card has a minimum UHS-1 rating, there's not much of a benefit to getting a faster (and more expensive) SDXC card.

Thanks!

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my Amazon Prime Day Switch!

2 Things :

1) Is there a way to show only free demos on the e-shop? No games yet (have to pick up Zelda later) Wastes time clicking every game to see if there's a demo.

2) Splatoon 2 Demo, is only the tutorial level? Can I play it again or anything else or do I just have to wait to the 15th for this "Splatfest", which also happens to be the time when I get to try Sea of Thieves for the 1st time...
1) Don't think there is a section. Some demos I'd recommend to play around with are Snipperclips and Puyo Puyo Tetris. There are probably more, since I haven't been keeping up with the eshop for a while now.

2) Aside from the tutorial at the beginning there is just the plaza until the splatfest actually starts.

Shifty

Be mindful with screen protectors. Unless you have a sterile room and the patience and reflexes of a surgeon, trying to apply one properly is going to be an intensely stressful undertaking.

I went down the microfiber dock cozy route. Feels way nicer to use and looks good.

klaushm

It really is more expensive, but don't know about it not been worth it.

Adata v90 128GB with read speed of 275MB/s, for $150. I want to see a test with it, against their 48/90/95MB/s ones.

Top Bottom