• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

...and now I own a Switch

TransTrender

Gold Member
It really is more expensive, but don't know about it not been worth it.

Adata v90 128GB with read speed of 275MB/s, for $150. I want to see a test with it, against their 48/90/95MB/s ones.

I'm guessing overall the external bus speed is really slow so as long as you have something with a decent write speed then your read speed will be fine.

The one I got is a regular Class 10 and sure, the writes are slow, so the install might take some time, but if I get the time I'll try some of these benchmarks to see if the read speed is much different.

Happy you acquired a switch OP but do we really need a thread every time somebody buys one? I see these at least once a week. Cant you hijack one of those?

Deku Tree

We need an OT Switch thread

Those are against the TOS here. So we just get these "just bought a Switch" threads and then people use them for a while but if they last too long then they get locked.

Happy you acquired a switch OP but do we really need a thread every time somebody buys one? I see these at least once a week. Cant you hijack one of those?

We don't need thread whining though.

RaptorGTA

Gold Member
CitySlicker-Switch-Black_1024x1024.jpg

I'm getting this one.

I have the brown one...absolutely love it.

Multiple attempts at official Switch OTs have been made and they've all been locked.

So, I guess you're just going to have to do something drastic and "gasp" ignore these threads.

Wholeheartedly recommend the 'new' Butterfox hard case.

Flap for 9 games + 2 Micro SDs that doubles as a Velcro (not strap) mechanism to fasten Switch, roomy top compartment with zipper so things don't fall out, enough space for large powerbanks OR the official AC Adapter, well built to boot.

Amazing quality, good support, can't recommend them enough. (Looked around for weeks at all the different options, and this is the best mix of Value, Versatility, Size, and Quality I found.)

As for other stuff... the Orzly Screen Protector is the better tempered glass screen protector.

One purchase that I have made recently that has been a blessing D-pad wise is the Pokkén Tournament Pro Pad by HORI for Wii U. Ignore that it says ' THIS CONTROLLER WILL ONLY WORK ON "POKKÉN TOURNAMENT" ' on the back of the controller because Nintendo Switch firmware version 3.0.0 supports it. Now I'm enjoying Kamiko and Puyo Puyo Tetris a whole lot more, and will be trying more platform era on the Switch and PC real soon.

pokken_02.jpg

pokken_01.jpg

Got the Pikachu one. Kind of goes well with my PC.
380t_yellow_01.png

Thank you, Pokken Controller!

klaushm

I'm guessing overall the external bus speed is really slow so as long as you have something with a decent write speed then your read speed will be fine.

The one I got is a regular Class 10 and sure, the writes are slow, so the install might take some time, but if I get the time I'll try some of these benchmarks to see if the read speed is much different.

The installation doesn't concern me, but the loading times(which I thought was a read speed problem) and etc; but yeah. If it's an issue out of our hands, we would only need to think about the size. Less concerns hehe

Also, I got a class 10 as you did.
SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010Q588D4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

omg_mjd

Having someone over who hasn't played anything since Super Mario Bros. What's the most casual friendly multiplayer Switch game? Looking at Puyo Puyo Tetris, Snipperclips and Bomberman.( I don't own any of them yet.)

She likes matching games on her phone though so I'm thinking Puyo Puyo is a safe bet. Not interested in 1-2 Switch since it has to be a game I'll also want to play solo.

Having someone over who hasn't played anything since Super Mario Bros. What's the most casual friendly multiplayer Switch game? Looking at Puyo Puyo Tetris, Snipperclips and Bomberman.( I don't own any of them yet.)

She likes matching games on her phone though so I'm thinking Puyo Puyo is a safe bet. Not interested in 1-2 Switch since it has to be a game I'll also want to play solo.

If you don't already own Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, go with that. Snipperclips is a good choice as well.

SeppOCE

One purchase that I have made recently that has been a blessing D-pad wise is the Pokkén Tournament Pro Pad by HORI for Wii U. Ignore that it says ' THIS CONTROLLER WILL ONLY WORK ON "POKKÉN TOURNAMENT" ' on the back of the controller because Nintendo Switch firmware version 3.0.0 supports it. Now I'm enjoying Kamiko and Puyo Puyo Tetris a whole lot more, and will be trying more platform era on the Switch and PC real soon.

pokken_02.jpg

pokken_01.jpg

Got the Pikachu one. Kind of goes well with my PC.
380t_yellow_01.png

Thank you, Pokken Controller!

This all the way ! I ended up buying two of these i love them so much

Pick up one of these if you're on Ebay and can afford it. Sexy, and totally functional, I've got a few card in the slots inside and there's enough room for the Bose in-ear headphones baggie in the mesh pocket for cables and such. I stuck my red wrist straps in there too but will make room once I get the Switch Stand.

Defs get a glass screen protector though. Those things are worth every glossy penny.

Cepheus

I got an Orzly screen protector kit and the big-ass grey carry case from Nintendo. It can hold the console with joycons attached, the grip with joycons attached, the dock, the charger and any other cables you can stuff in. It also comes with a black case just for the Switch that fits inside it. It's great, but the only problem is there are no game cart holders in it whatsoever which is a bit stupid.

japtor

What is the best (biggest and light) power core thing that you can buy?
Well light and big is kind of at odds, capacity is basically going to be proportional to size and weight (...barring companies lying about their capacity). Like at 20,000+ mAh you're looking at a pretty thick and wide bar format for the most part, with a few thin but much wider/larger footprint slab options. If you really want light (granted "light" is relative) I think you'd end up looking more towards the ~10,000 mAh batteries.

Best options would be ones with USB-C and the USB Power Delivery spec cause they can charge the fastest (the big USB-PD Anker and RAVPower ones are some of the few options iirc), otherwise just USB-C itself should in theory be enough to always charge, if a bit slow (lots of options, not sure which are good/bad though), while USB-A will vary (but gives the most options by far of course). Like within Zelda it can range from draining, to staying level, to charging, depending on what's happening/what area you're in.

I got a Jackery Titan S myself, but use an A-C cable for now. Mostly just for the convenience of not having micro USB. Also found out it does pass through charging which is nice, although not that big of a deal with how many charger ports I have.

...and if you ever want to power the dock portably I think you specifically need something that can do the 15V/3A USB-PD profile. The Anker and RAVPower ones only do 15V/2A there if you're curious. There's a Xiaomi one that works iirc but I'm not sure where to buy it outside of eBay and other Chinese seller sites.

(Course USB-C and PD is kind of a mess where it seems like most stuff isn't technically compliant but works, including the Switch itself)

TransTrender

Gold Member
What is the best (biggest and light) power core thing that you can buy?

Not sure if it's the best or biggest but I went with this one:
USB C Power Bank RAVPower 26800 PD Portable Charger 26800mAh(Faster Recharged in 4.5 Hours &USB-C Input, 30W Type-C Output)for Nintendo Switch, USB Type-C Laptops, 2016 MacBook Power Delivery Support

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

...and if you ever want to power the dock portably I think you specifically need something that can do the 15V/3A USB-PD profile. The Anker and RAVPower ones only do 15V/2A there if you're curious. There's a Xiaomi one that works iirc but I'm not sure where to buy it outside of eBay and other Chinese seller sites.
Correct. The one I have can't do docked + power but there wouldn't be a case when I need it. Overall it has a very large capacity and at 15V/2A it's plenty for mobile mode + charging.

Planx

I've been using a larger case that can carry all the accessories. I regularly bring the whole thing with the dock to friend's places

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N23OP50/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been able to fit 4 joycons, a joycon grip and a pro controller, the dock; an HDMI cord, 4 joycon bumpers and a case with games all in the pouch; the wall brick and the Switch itself

Deku Tree

Well light and big is kind of at odds, capacity is basically going to be proportional to size and weight (...barring companies lying about their capacity). Like at 20,000+ mAh you're looking at a pretty thick and wide bar format for the most part, with a few thin but much wider/larger footprint slab options. If you really want light (granted "light" is relative) I think you'd end up looking more towards the ~10,000 mAh batteries.

Best options would be ones with USB-C and the USB Power Delivery spec cause they can charge the fastest (the big USB-PD Anker and RAVPower ones are some of the few options iirc), otherwise just USB-C itself should in theory be enough to always charge, if a bit slow (lots of options, not sure which are good/bad though), while USB-A will vary (but gives the most options by far of course). Like within Zelda it can range from draining, to staying level, to charging, depending on what's happening/what area you're in.

I got a Jackery Titan S myself, but use an A-C cable for now. Mostly just for the convenience of not having micro USB. Also found out it does pass through charging which is nice, although not that big of a deal with how many charger ports I have.

(Course USB-C and PD is kind of a mess where it seems like most stuff isn't technically compliant but works, including the Switch itself)

Thanks!

Not sure if it's the best or biggest but I went with this one:
USB C Power Bank RAVPower 26800 PD Portable Charger 26800mAh(Faster Recharged in 4.5 Hours &USB-C Input, 30W Type-C Output)for Nintendo Switch, USB Type-C Laptops, 2016 MacBook Power Delivery Support

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wow that 26800 mah thing really only weights one pound?

If this person hasn't gamed in decades, maybe they don't want to play videogames while they're visiting? I'm hoping they actually expressed an interest in trying out the switch or something.

That said, MK8D is a great choice.

Teh Lurv

Still waiting on my Switch, but I picked up the HORI screen protector. I've found HORI's application process the best when I used them for my Wii U & 3DS.

Anybody find a case that fits it snugly with no room for accessories or anything?

Im all digital and only ever bring the system and attached joycons but ive had a bit of trouble finding a nice tight fitting case.

Top Bottom