• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And the NeoGAF Game of the Generation is...

Wunray

rIFVxUb.png

I find this unacceptable.
This is the same board that voted HZD over DMC V and Divinity so you learn to bring your expectations in a bit, congrats to the Witcher 3 though it truly is a once in a lifetime game and deserves all of its praises.

Last edited:
Well considering the actual meaning of GOTG (a game/s that influenced games through out the generation) The Witcher 3 deserves it, also Souls games and PUBG.

Objectively speaking games of the generation aren't necessarily beloved by hardcore fans but games that create a trend and as much BOTW is a very good game it didn't influence any games yet to be considered one, nor did MGSV and a number of fan favorites in the pool, that's why i said from the beginning that this is a popularity contest not an actual look into games that left their mark through out 2013-2020.

I'd argue BOTW has started a trend in open world games to make them more open and rely more on exploration instead of explicitly laying out waypoints for the player. You could probably put Ghost of Tsushima in with the other examples people have given.

Bloodborne is really just a continuation of a trend that had already been kicked off the previous generation.

(Admittedly I haven't played The Witcher 3 so not sure on that one, but I haven't noticed any changes in trends since it was released

Edit: Though thinking about it I don't really play the types of game I imagine Witcher 3 might have influenced so what do I know. Lol)

Last edited:

SinDelta

Just have to say I'm curious as to what the new gen will need to meet or exceed the top 3 games. What a trio with Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3. I think all three are worthy of the title, but its really a matter of what you want in a game.

Nevermind you still have incredible games like Ace Combat 7, Sekiro, 13 Sentinels, Half-Life: Alex, Nioh 2, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Devil May Cry V, Doom Eternal releasing right at the very end (and Cyberpunk 2077 likely would have capped this generation off if not for a lot of unforeseeable circumstances leading to delays.)

This generation has been absolutely amazing for gamers.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I would pick TW3 too.

I love Bloodborne but TW3's world was really immersive, I actually didn't want it to end. And its DLC is the best DLC ever.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Strange, a multiplatform game won.
Screen_Shot_2019-09-24_at_4.22.16_PM.jpg

Great game BTW. Easily deserves the award.
Now smack that Gaf award on the cover for next gen.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

I won't deny it the win but I still don't agree it is better than some of the others that didn't make it through. I am truly happier however, that it wasn't Red Dead Redemption 2 as I expected that to win. Was even happier that Phantom Pain beat it - Phantom Pain was sublime to play (even unfinished).

BootsLoader

Banned
Congratulations and thank you OP for running this. Bravo!
Witcher 3 ftw, bravo CDPR. I totally agree that it’s the game of the generation. Beyond anything that I experienced this gen.
Again bravo. NeoGAF you are a great place to be. Thanks thanks thanks.

Top Bottom