• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House surprised by timing of Project Scorpio announcement

Have there been speculating about a Neo announcement this year for a release this year? I keep on seeing posts hinting that Sony might do that but I'm a bit out of the loop.

Sony made the wise choice not even mentioning Neo during E3. MS now has shown all of their cards for the next 2-3 years while Sony now has ample time to prepare and/or counter.

E3 was the place they announced the details of the PS4. So what difference does it make?

And again, zero chance they didn't originally plan on discussing it to only scrap those plans and throw in the days gone demo. Why else did they show the trailer earlier in the presentation then awkwardly show a demo at the end?

Actually, rumor has it that the last slot was supposed to be for either Red Dead or a Shadow of Mordor sequel..

icespide

Banned
Have there been speculating about a Neo announcement this year for a release this year? I keep on seeing posts hinting that Sony might do that but I'm a bit out of the loop.

ever since the original leak of Neo stuff the speculation has been a release this year

Quotient

In whose eyes did they overshadow the event.

If you have no idea why they mentioned it then my advice is to never go into business.

Just look at neogaf, there are more threads about Scorpio on the front page then their is about the games MS showed during the presser. I was at work during the press conference and got my news from Neogaf and besides Forza and GoW4, all i heard about is Scorpio.

Elios83

Microsoft announced the Scorpio so early for the sole purpose of interfering with Sony's Neo announcement plans. Basically throwing a wet blanket on Sony's campfire.

Not a good strategy because the impact of their interfering is limited by not having anything in their hands to show.
Sony smartly avoided any direct comparison on the same stage on specs alone and when they'll announce it they'll focus on actual games to prove what their box can do and the fact that the console will be immediatly available.
At the same time they're hurting themselves and their XB1 business which is already struggling, a year and half is a long period if you continue to lose momentum as a brand.

I believe the rumor was late this year or early next. As far as I know, no one has heard more than that. People are assuming this year given the information floating around about Sony's requirement that devs have to start making sure their games support the Neo. That requirement is happening later this year (September or October?). So it stands to reason later in the year the Neo would come out.

Sony made the wise choice not even mentioning Neo during E3. MS now has shown all of their cards for the next 2-3 years while Sony now has ample time to prepare and/or counter.

That's somewhat of an overstatement.
MS did no show any of their cards for 2018 forward. Sony showed a bunch.

(even though we know Halo will be there and Forza is going to be a yearly thing.)

What a crock of hypocritical garbage. Like even half of Sony's games they showed off are going to be out within the year, and as if that's somehow radically different than announcing future hardware.

yeah, pretty dumb. he's just pandering to the console war type people, and they're eating it up.

Haha, oh God, so much this. I will never convince my wife that I need a Scorpio. In fact, just to test the waters I jokingly threw out a "Hey babe, we should look into getting a 4K TV." All you married guys know the look of disdain I received, without even having been there.

believe it or not, not all married couples have a manchild/ball-and-chain dynamic straight out of a shitty sitcom.

wachie

MS have also put themselves under a lot of pressure. They have basically given themselves a deadline to get a 6TF machine that will do native 4K gaming to market in 18 months.

They can't afford to miss that mark.
AMD most likely got early samples of Raven Ridge back from GF so they were probably in a position to give a more than a roadmap type details on the cost, TDP and performance envelope and mass production window. Based on which Microsoft felt confident enough to announce it.

People have to remember that AMD most likely provided the same details to Sony so they will most likely know a) timing of Scorpio launch b) pricing of Scorpio. It would be highly interesting now if Sony adjusts (minor) Neo spec and or pricing based on that information.

House is doing what any PR guy would; making his Company sound smart and trying to raise doubts about his competitor. What else is he going to say?

Not showing the Neo was the best decision Sony could have made. Meanwhile MS is tripping over itself trying to explain why you should buy a slim Xbox One this year and a 4k Xbox One late next year.

The initial leaks were a box that was more powerful than the current consoles but weaker than the Scorpio specs that would release late 16/early 17. I think the more current consensus is that they're lining their specs/release date up with Scorpio now, so it'll be late '17.

The fact that they didn't talk about it at E3 makes it very likely that they're not releasing in the next 8-12 months, at any rate.

What a crock of hypocritical garbage. Like even half of Sony's games they showed off are going to be out within the year, and as if that's somehow radically different than announcing future hardware.

yeah, pretty dumb. he's just pandering to the console war type people, and they're eating it up.

Games are totally different than hardware announcements.
Spider-man being 2017+ has no effect on whether I'll be buying a console or other games (Person 5) now.

Neo being this year will affect my purchasing decision on PS4 & its games now.
Scorpio being next year already have a bunch of people questioning what's the point of the X1S.

GamerJM

Banned
I still don't get why gaming companies think that applying Apple's business model to console gaming needs to be done every step of the way. Different types of tech work differently.

Not saying that announcing Scorpio this early was right or wrong (personally I don't know), but I just find it strange how his statement reads like he's surprised because it means that Microsoft isn't following Apple's business model like it's some sort of tech company bible.

Sony definately have their PR game worked out much better. I think MS' overall strategy, moving towards Xbox as an ecosystem, is the right one, but they've made an absolute shambles of actually selling it to consumers. The contradictory remarks about the Slim and Scorpio shouldn't be happening within a major company.

sixamp

We all know and knew that ps5 and Xbox something was in the works. Its not shocking they announced it since it wont release for a year and a half. What's the big deal? If u wanna play the games u will buy the system now. Its that simple. For those questioning what Scorpio is well its just the next version of Xbox. Its really that simple all this going back and forth is pointless. Neo and Scorpio are the next iterations of the consoles. They both will release in fall of 2017, they both will be powerful and most likely now that Sony knows the Scorpio is a 6tf most likely they will upgrade their console just like they dis with the ps4 when they found out the xbx1 had 8 gigs.

Boke1879

The initial leaks were a box that was more powerful than the current consoles but weaker than the Scorpio specs that would release late 16/early 17. I think the more current consensus is that they're lining their specs/release date up with Scorpio now, so it'll be late '17.

The fact that they didn't talk about it at E3 makes it very likely that they're not releasing in the next 8-12 months, at any rate.

what consensus says they are lining up specs to the scorpio and launching in 8-12 months?

Before House even made the comment of Neo not showing up at E3. Shinobi said on a podcast like 2 weeks before House came out and said anything that he didn't believe Neo would be at E3 and heard it would possibly be at the PGW/Gamescom.

Again. Sony pretty much has the specs locked in. Dev kits have been in developers hands for a while now and they've even talked to retailers since early this year.

We'll get a reveal and a launch soon after.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Haha. It's amazing how fast arguments and discussions we have here on GAF can sound like total nonsense to a spouse (especially if they're a non-gaming spouse).

Me: "So I'm getting the new PS4."

Wife: "But you already have a PS4."

Me: "This one runs the games better!"

Wife: "Wait...so it plays the same games?"

Me: "Well...um...they run at a higher resolution and a better frame rate!"

Wife: "But it's still the exact same game you could play on the PS4 you already have?"

Me: "Well...yes."

My wife would just pat me on the head while heavily breathing out.

icespide

Banned
We all know and knew that ps5 and Xbox something was in the works. Its not shocking they announced it since it wont release for a year and a half. What's the big deal? If u wanna play the games u will buy the system now. Its that simple. For those questioning what Scorpio is well its just the next version of Xbox. Its really that simple all this going back and forth is pointless. Neo and Scorpio are the next iterations of the consoles. They both will release in fall of 2017, they both will be powerful and most likely now that Sony knows the Scorpio is a 6tf most likely they will upgrade their console just like they dis with the ps4 when they found out the xbx1 had 8 gigs.

eh you sure about that?

toilet

Banned
Phil has backtracked a lot though. What if at the next e3 they show a 6tf then have the 6 flip upside down!

ViciousDS

Banned
Not showing the Neo was the best decision Sony could have made. Meanwhile MS is tripping over itself trying to explain why you should buy a slim Xbox One this year and a 4k Xbox One late next year.

Pretty much the only interviews it seems Phil is getting.....is on the Scorpio.....none of them even mention the great games they showed. The slim really should have been all that was announced and then had a separate event to announce the Scorpio while delivering a clear message and showing the power advantages of it. Instead we have mixed PR responses and not well thought out messages. I don't think they were expecting the response that they got. Be it both positive or negative.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
AMD most likely got early samples of Raven Ridge back from GF so they were probably in a position to give a more than a roadmap type details on the cost, TDP and performance envelope and mass production window. Based on which Microsoft felt confident enough to announce it.

People have to remember that AMD most likely provided the same details to Sony so they will most likely know a) timing of Scorpio launch b) pricing of Scorpio. It would be highly interesting now if Sony adjusts (minor) Neo spec and or pricing based on that information.

I'm not saying it's likely but one thing AMD is always infamous for is mismanagement and not delivering on time. Although their management has gotten better, we really have yet to see them deliver a product in a timely manner. Although not owning your own fabs probably contributes a lot to that.

Not really. We know a more powerful PS4 is coming later this year or early next year, built with a better VR experience in mind. We know a more powerful XB1 is coming late 2017 with 4K in mind. We've actually haven't learned much else, even with the "official" announcement of both, in part thanks to MS PR confusion, and almost all of this was "common knowledge" prior to E3.

We don't, for example, have any idea of what Scorpio's "launch lineup" will look like, as most of the titles shown at the MS conference were for 2016 and early 2017, and generally has been present at last year's conference.

This is the only thing that annoys me about the early Scorpio announcement:

We're going to have close to 1.5 months of Scorpio talk on GAF, 6+ months of that is likely to be wild speculation and chaos.

Boke1879

Sony definately have their PR game worked out much better. I think MS' overall strategy, moving towards Xbox as an ecosystem, is the right one, but they've made an absolute shambles of actually selling it to consumers. The contradictory remarks about the Slim and Scorpio shouldn't be happening within a major company.

Both companies are doing the same thing and it is the right move. Both companies want you in their ecosystem.

Not even sure what the need is for Scorpio when all of their games are coming to PC. It's obviously not going to be cheap. It would be better to invest in a PC with a good Intel processor and a GTX 1070.

4Tran

Pretty much the only interviews it seems Phil is getting.....is on the Scorpio.....none of them even mention the great games they showed. The slim really should have been all that was announced and then had a separate event to announce the Scorpio while delivering a clear message and showing the power advantages of it. Instead we have mixed PR responses and not well thought out messages. I don't think they were expecting the response that they got. Be it both positive or negative.
This is the only thing that annoys me about the early Scorpio announcement:

We're going to have close to 1.5 months of Scorpio talk on GAF, 6+ months of that is likely to be wild speculation and chaos.
Bingo. And these are why you don't make a formal announcement until you have all your ducks in a row. People are going to want to know about this product, so be prepared that this can overshadow anything other message you want to deliver. And have your answers ready and have all the people delivering the message on the same page. Microsoft's ineptitude at handling the message is precisely the kind of thing that House was talking about.

dLMN8R

Haha. It's amazing how fast arguments and discussions we have here on GAF can sound like total nonsense to a spouse (especially if they're a non-gaming spouse).

Me: "So I'm getting the new PS4."

Wife: "But you already have a PS4."

Me: "This one runs the games better!"

Wife: "Wait...so it plays the same games?"

Me: "Well...um...they run at a higher resolution and a better frame rate!"

Wife: "But it's still the exact same game you could play on the PS4 you already have?"

Me: "Well...yes."

You want a fun conversation? Try explaining GamerGate to anyone who doesn't care about video games.

Outrun

But it is radically different lol. All platform holders do this as far as software is concerned. Thing is I can go out now and buy a PS4 and play a range of games. They essentially announced a new console that won't hit the market for a year and a half, with nothing to show and terrible PR afterwards.

I don't see how it is different to be honest.

Whether it is hardware or software, these reveals are used to create hype and to sell thunder from rivals.

When Forza 5 was revealed, Sony countered with a game that they knew that not going to release day one of PS4 launch, Drive Club.

Now, people are acting puzzled....

vpance

Getting their message across about hardware and the Xbox/Windows ecosystem is more important to them than some exclusive games at this point. At least from a MAU perspective.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
It would be impressive if that's the case. Did they officially announce a price?

No but if you think about it it's most likely a 480 that MSRP at 199 (cut out the pcb, VRMs all the extra stuff they are just buying the chip most likely and all the other components in bulk like RAM, power delivery, other components in bulk) with custom zen cores like mentioned above Raven ridge is zen based, and the way they pay for parts to manufacture at bottom dollar, it could easily be 499.

ViciousDS

Banned
Getting their message across about hardware and the Xbox/Windows ecosystem is more important to them than some exclusive games at this point. At least from a MAU perspective.

Think about the MAUs!!!!!!!

Which I find weird....I could log onto my computer and it automatically logs me in. Doesn't mean anything as I play Warcraft. I haven't had my Xbox one plugged in since completing forza horizon 2 and I don't buy anything. Sure MAUs go up.....but that doesn't mean they buy anything.

icespide

Banned
This "Sony can do no wrong" rhetoric is kind of surprising. Let’s not forget that Sony confirmed the existence of the Neo (in a very low-key statement) before E3 and that both the Neo and PSVR will presumably launch within a few months of each other. Microsoft’s approach has been far more transparent in trying to make their audience aware of the future and the options available to them. If Sony pulls an "available now" with the Neo as he seems to suggest, I imagine a lot of people who don’t keep up with the latest rumors will be upset and confused – especially if they just bought a PS4 or PSVR.

I don't think anyone in this thread has said that Sony can do no wrong

Games are totally different than hardware announcements.
Spider-man being 2017+ has no effect on whether I'll be buying a console or other games (Person 5) now.

Neo being this year will affect my purchasing decision on PS4 & its games now.
Scorpio being next year already have a bunch of people questioning what's the point of the X1S.
I don't entirely agree -- info about both consoles had leaked, they both confirmed these new consoles and mentioned they were fully backwards compatible, Microsoft's hardware is just further out because that's how the schedules worked -- but it doesn't matter either way because that's not what House is actually saying. He's talking about how consumers now expect something "available now", that they don't want to wait for future potential.

That's not how Sony operates today or yesterday, for example their PlayStation VR announcement was well more than a year before its release. Which makes perfect sense, because you don't want the only info out there about an upcoming product being leaks you have no control over. That's exactly what Microsoft and Sony have done here with their new hardware, merely confirming stuff everybody already heard about, and House pretending to be concerned about this strange mistake on the part of MS is console wars nonsense. These products take a long time to finish, so both companies sell us the future.

lynux3

This "Sony can do no wrong" rhetoric is kind of surprising. Let’s not forget that Sony confirmed the existence of the Neo (in a very low-key statement) before E3 and that both the Neo and PSVR will presumably launch within a few months of each other. Microsoft’s approach has been far more transparent in trying to make their audience aware of the future and the options available to them. If Sony pulls an "available now" with the Neo as he seems to suggest, I imagine a lot of people who don’t keep up with the latest rumors will be upset and confused – especially if they just bought a PS4 or PSVR.

Nobody will care because both units will be sold along side each other and both will continue to run games for PS4.

Top Bottom