• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can I ask you guys an honest, sincere and humble question?

How is it possible that no one in this entire thread has mentioned *Rift Hunter* ???

Qvoth

because that's an ios only game and this thread is about androids?
just watched the youtube vid from your link for a bit, doesn't even seem like a good game

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Danmaku Unlimited full game is out. A solid bullet hell top down shooter made for android. Currently on sale for less than 2 bucks.

moojito

Yeah, if companies decide to plaster anime characters and "wow! so action!" etc over the top of their screenshots, I just close the page down. /getoffmylawn

Being playing Sonic Dash since it came out. More like Sonic Ads, Good lord this game takes the freemiun model to it's ultimate form.

I however do like the idea of watching an add in exchange of a life, to the point that I want the ad to pop in that instance.

The characters where really cheap yesterday and I was working my way to buy Tails (the reason I download the game) and I was 1 Star short of it, Got the start today and he went from 20 Stars to 45!!!!!. Was it a launch day special or something? Man that sucks.

SiDCrAzY

It seems as if its compatible with my Galaxy phone now, not sure if I'll download it. I don't really game on my phone.

Ministration

Neo Member
Hey folks, the team I work with (Witching Hour Studios) have just gotten our turn-based strategy wargame, Ravenmark: Mercenaries is finally live on Google Play. It's got asynchronous multiplayer and you can play cross-platform matches against your friends on iOS as well. If you're a fan of Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars, you should probably check this out!

The game’s up at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.witchinghour.ravenmarkmercs

Give the game a whirl and let me know what you think! It is a free-to-play game, which might make some of you wrinkle your nose at first glance... We did our best to adhere to a League of Legends-style monetization system where you pay to customize your army's playing style, rather than any sort of pay-to-win monkey business. :)

wilflare

Hey folks, the team I work with (Witching Hour Studios) have just gotten our turn-based strategy wargame, Ravenmark: Mercenaries is finally live on Google Play. It's got asynchronous multiplayer and you can play cross-platform matches against your friends on iOS as well. If you're a fan of Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars, you should probably check this out!

The game’s up at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.witchinghour.ravenmarkmercs

Give the game a whirl and let me know what you think! It is a free-to-play game, which might make some of you wrinkle your nose at first glance... We did our best to adhere to a League of Legends-style monetization system where you pay to customize your army's playing style, rather than any sort of pay-to-win monkey business. :)

man! glad to see someone from WHS post on GAF
I downloaded the game the moment I saw the tweet :D

Qvoth

was about to post this, turns out it's a gaffer's game! grats on release!

Well you have Wilflare's approval so that carries a lot of weight, downloading now.

Ministration

Neo Member
Awesome, much appreciated guys! If you know more folks who've been looking for a more cerebral gaming fix on Android, please point them to Mercenaries! :)

Qvoth

1 thing i noticed after playing like maybe half an hour of ravenmark mercenaries

you guys should post the favor rewards on the same page with the contract details

also, on the stats page, under favor, i have no idea which country uses which flag
red is obviously the bird, but what about the other 2 countries? there's the crystal and the circle pointed triangle, none of them are distinctly blue nor yellow

regarding contracts, for example if i click a red colored contract (be it minor or border skirmish), am i doing a contract for the red country or against? seems like sometimes it's for and sometimes it's against

Ministration

Neo Member
1 thing i noticed after playing like maybe half an hour of ravenmark mercenaries

you guys should post the favor rewards on the same page with the contract details

also, on the stats page, under favor, i have no idea which country uses which flag
red is obviously the bird, but what about the other 2 countries? there's the crystal and the circle pointed triangle, none of them are distinctly blue nor yellow

regarding contracts, for example if i click a red colored contract (be it minor or border skirmish), am i doing a contract for the red country or against? seems like sometimes it's for and sometimes it's against

I'll pass along your suggestions for the UI. Thanks!

About the contracts, you're being hired by that country for the contract - eg. as you say, red coloured contract means you're doing it for the red country, Estellion. Although if you fail, the narrative will indicate that your client has gotten pretty disappointed and mad at you. But it's never supposed to be "against" the client nation, unless you're doing a Major Contract chain (which is white, and technically neutral).

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I noticed Star Command is down to £0.60/$0.99. I was going to ask whether it was any good but I like how it looks and at that price I may as well take a punt.

I've been playing a lot of Doctor Who: Legacy. It's a Puzzle and Dragons type gem matching game and there isn't an energy limit system. Paying for gems (I think 6 or more at a time) unlocks a "fan area" which I believe is a challenge area (so no blue gems appear, etc.).

I noticed Star Command is down to £0.60/$0.99. I was going to ask whether it was any good but I like how it looks and at that price I may as well take a punt.

I really like it and believe it is totally worth $0.99, but don't think of it as FTL on Android or you will be disappointed. If you've never played FTL (shame on you) then this comparison won't matter to you at all :).

Awesome, much appreciated guys! If you know more folks who've been looking for a more cerebral gaming fix on Android, please point them to Mercenaries! :)
I tried signing up yesterday and kept getting server timeouts. It updated today and still get the same error. Note that I'm not using the Facebook connect thing, and am trying to connect at work (with a transparent proxy that probably doesn't block your end).

xgoYMvkl.png

I'll give it a shot, but I do not get an AW vibe at all from the video...

I really like it and believe it is totally worth $0.99, but don't think of it as FTL on Android or you will be disappointed. If you've never played FTL (shame on you) then this comparison won't matter to you at all :).

Ah, I think that's been my problem. I've played it a little but haven't gotten sucked in like I did with FTL. Also, I'm distracted by trying to 100% Plants vs. Zombies 2 (w/o paying, of course)--that is actually a really solid game and a worthy successor to the original despite being a little hamstrung by F2P design.

Ministration

Neo Member
I tried signing up yesterday and kept getting server timeouts. It updated today and still get the same error. Note that I'm not using the Facebook connect thing, and am trying to connect at work (with a transparent proxy that probably doesn't block your end).
We're seeing sporadic reports of this happening... Not quite sure what's happening as the server is definitely up and running. We're using port 443, does your proxy have any issues with that? Otherwise we'll keep looking into the problem and I'll update you if there's news. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

I'll give it a shot, but I do not get an AW vibe at all from the video...
The mechanics of Ravenmark are inspired by Advance Wars, but we tried to make things a little differentiated from the aforementioned games. Thanks for giving it a shot!

RM8

DotEmu has released Double Dragon Trilogy on the Play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotemu.ddtrilogy

Sounds like a good package for $2.99; Double Dragons 1-3, support for BT controllers, multiple modes and difficulty settings, and Play Games support.
I'll probably buy :3

BTW I have been wanting to buy this Double Dragon game for ages, does anyone know if it's any good?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ggee.vividruntime.gg_1407

We're seeing sporadic reports of this happening... Not quite sure what's happening as the server is definitely up and running. We're using port 443, does your proxy have any issues with that? Otherwise we'll keep looking into the problem and I'll update you if there's news. Sorry for the inconvenience :(
No problems. If you want to PM me the connection information I can try to connect at the office to help you with further troubleshooting?

KuroNeeko

Looks fun but is either unavailable where I live (Japan) or isn't supported by my device (Galaxy Nexus.)

:/

Ministration

Neo Member
Looks fun but is either unavailable where I live (Japan) or isn't supported by my device (Galaxy Nexus.)

:/
We committed to a localization deal for Japanese, Korean and Chinese territories, so we can't make the game available in those regions until the localization is completed. Really sorry about that. :(

linsivvi

We committed to a localization deal for Japanese, Korean and Chinese territories, so we can't make the game available in those regions until the localization is completed. Really sorry about that. :(

There are a lot of people in these regions that speak English and in fact prefer to use English. It always boggles my mind that developers lockout entire regions for this reason alone.

RM8

There are a lot of people in these regions that speak English and in fact prefer to use English. It always boggles my mind that developers lockout entire regions for this reason alone.
Google Play region lock is -insane- :( For such an open OS, it's impossible to buy an app that is blocked in your country.

$0.99 for the US, still a great price for a game that's usually $3.99. The Lords of Midnight is also on sale for $0.99 (Regular $4.49). A few more DotEmu games (The first two were previously featured in Humble Bundles) are also on sale: Raiden Legacy (Sale: $1.99, Regular: $4.99), Another World (Sale: $0.99, Regular: $1.99), and R-Type (Sale: $0.99, Regular: $1.99).

Source: Android Police

Top Bottom