• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Google maps has offline navigation?

If you precache the map and start navigation where you have data it will work fine. Do you mean a whole download package TomTom Style? Then one of the other apps listed works that way but they take significant room (1+ GB).

I think my Galaxy S is fucked. It's stuck in on the cyanogenmod boot screen and has been since this morning. I have no idea what caused this, it was fine when I went to bed.

I can get into the recovery screen by holding volume up, power and menu at the same time but I have no idea what to do. I wiped the cache as recommended elsewhere but it's done fuck all. Still won't go past the boot screen.

What can I do?

Ashhong

I think my Galaxy S is fucked. It's stuck in on the cyanogenmod boot screen and has been since this morning. I have no idea what caused this, it was fine when I went to bed.

I can get into the recovery screen by holding volume up, power and menu at the same time but I have no idea what to do. I wiped the cache as recommended elsewhere but it's done fuck all. Still won't go past the boot screen.

What can I do?

You can get into CWM? Wipe your data and flash the ROM again.

edit: did you wipe DALVIK CACHE as well? Try that, it's in the advanced settings I believe.

ep85

A followup question about LTE.. Since AT&T and verizon use the 700 mhz spectrum for LTE but with different bands.

Would it possible for qualcom (or whomever) to create a modem that accesses multiple bands within one spectrum?

mkenyon

Banned
Backstory: Wanted to test reception between Verizon and AT&T, ordered a Nexus Galaxy and Galaxy Note from the respective carriers (one for me, one for wife). I'm so in love with the Best Galaxy that there's no freaking way I'm giving it up.

So, best (android) camera on AT&T - Skyrocket or One X?

Zeppu

Backstory: Wanted to test reception between Verizon and AT&T, ordered a Nexus Galaxy and Galaxy Note from the respective carriers (one for me, one for wife). I'm so in love with the Best Galaxy that there's no freaking way I'm giving it up.

Damn son, you haven't explained anything.

Circle T

So, best (android) camera on AT&T - Skyrocket or One X?

The Skyrocket, Note and regular GSII from AT&T all, I believe, use the same 8MP camera setup, and should produce pretty similar results. I have the Skyrocket as my work phone, and it takes some pretty good shots.

Haven't seen the One X in person yet, but I hear it takes pretty awesome photos.

tino

Banned
A followup question about LTE.. Since AT&T and verizon use the 700 mhz spectrum for LTE but with different bands.

Would it possible for qualcom (or whomever) to create a modem that accesses multiple bands within one spectrum?
Neither Verizon nor AT&T will let that happen in a million years.

Talon

Yeah, that's what I read on Dngadget. The review on the Verge slammed the camera on the One X pretty hard.
I don't know how this constitutes a slamming. Not to mention it got an 8 on Camera. I read it as not as a great as the iPhone 4S or Galaxy SII but very good for a cell phone camera.
On the software side, I believe that the One X's camera functionality — ImageSense, as HTC calls it — is the best and easiest use of any Android device on the market. In some ways, it runs circles around the benchmark-setting iPhone 4S as well. I really love the fact that HTC has integrated photo and video modes into a single viewfinder — there's no switch you need to toggle, then wait several seconds while the camera changes modes. You're simply always in both modes at the same time: if you want to take a still shot, you press the shutter button, and if you want to start recording a video, you press the video button. Both operations happen more or less instantaneously, and HTC's managed to quash almost all shutter lag in the still mode — that was a big deal with the Galaxy Nexus, so it's good to see the One X follows suit. And unlike the Nexus, the One X's autofocus is consistently fast and accurate.
As for image quality, I can't confidently say these are the best cameraphone photos I've ever seen, which was what I was expecting considering what a big deal HTC had made about it when these handsets were announced several weeks ago. I was hopeful that the shots I took would be indistinguishable from a decent point and shoot, but at 100 percent crop, the One X's stills are easily identified as coming from a cameraphone. They're not bad, they're just not the game-changers I'd been led to believe they'd be. Low-light performance didn't blow me away — you'll still need a flash to stave off noise and motion blur in even moderately-lit situations. And it's a similar case for video: the quality is decent for a phone, but you won't be replacing a real camera.

mkenyon

Banned
That's not nearly as bad as what he makes it sound like in the video review (was watching it with wife in bed last night on Best Galaxy cause the screen is big enough for that sort of thing).

tokkun

Yeah, that's what I read on Engadget. The review on the Verge slammed the camera on the One X pretty hard.

*edit fixt typo*

Yeah, it's weird. If you listen to their respective podcasts, they give directly conflicting descriptions. One says that the colors on the pictures are washed out, the other says that they are over-saturated.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The One X takes good pics. I'll upload some in a few

Edit, these are full size:

http://i.imgur.com/aDPzG.jpg (low light)
http://i.imgur.com/Yhu2M.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cHRGB.jpg (macro)

One with extreme backlighting:
Zl1nwl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zl1nw.jpg

tino

Banned
Yeah, it's weird. If you listen to their respective podcasts, they give directly conflicting descriptions. One says that the colors on the pictures are washed out, the other says that they are over-saturated.

From the post I read in Taiwanese forums, it takes better picture than Galaxy Note. Really it doesn't matter since the IQ is porportion to the size of the sensor. But it takes picture fast.

jokkir

For the Chrome update, are quick controls implemented yet? Quick controls are so useful and don't think I can go back to not using it >_>

tino

Banned
Since I have an imgur window open, I'll compare some pics between the Note, One X, Xperia S, and Titan II and let you guys decide. All taken at 8 mp (9 for the Xperia S):

Xperia S:
http://i.imgur.com/mE5MY.jpg

Galaxy Note:
http://i.imgur.com/D6HYb.jpg

One X:
http://i.imgur.com/nEgqm.jpg

Titan II:
http://i.imgur.com/6H2Yy.jpg

It's really debatable as to which one takes better pics. Can't seem to go wrong with any of them
They all pretty much use the same sensor, probably all made by Sony. In order to have noticeable better image, you need a physically bigger sensor like the Nokia n8 or 808.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Outsanity

So, just updated my GSII (UK) to ICS and I'm having some trouble resizing widgets. Had a quick google around but nothing came up. The bookmarks and gmail widgets look kinda bad when they take up 3/4 of the length of the screen and right now I don't know how to change it. Am I missing some new ICS trick or did Samsung screw up?

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there an app that will read out loud my received notifications (I've found apps for speaking SMS messages but not all notifications)?

zedge

So, just updated my GSII (UK) to ICS and I'm having some trouble resizing widgets. Had a quick google around but nothing came up. The bookmarks and gmail widgets look kinda bad when they take up 3/4 of the length of the screen and right now I don't know how to change it. Am I missing some new ICS trick or did Samsung screw up?

You can't resize the stock google widgets. Samsung kinda shit the bed with some of the ICS features and touchwiz 4. They even left out the cool drag and drop ICS folders. I would suggest Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher if your really bothered by this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5hbmRkb2VzLmxhdW5jaGVyIl0.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsImNvbS50ZXNsYWNvaWxzdy5sYXVuY2hlciJd

mkenyon

Banned
They all pretty much use the same sensor, probably all made by Sony. In order to have noticeable better image, you need a physically bigger sensor like the Nokia n8 or 808.
This, right here, is why forums are so awesome. There's always someone who knows the nitty gritty details and information to contribute. Thank you sir.

teiresias

Since I don't really NEED full-fledged laptop, but still am unsure about getting an actual tablet, since I'd still like to be able to do some typing when I want, I'm really thinking of getting the upcoming "cheaper" Asus Transformer 300 - same specs internally as the Prime, but no Super IPS+ display, and its plastic, and starts at 16GB instead.

I really don't see myself needing a ton of apps - as I said, mainly writing and browsing, so I'm not sure I want to shell out for an iPad + Bluetooth keyboard.

I guess it would go well with the upcoming EVO 4G LTE - can't wait to get rid of this original EVO (though I've loved it).

mkenyon

Banned
I had an iPad 2, sold it due to not liking the rather constrained nature of the OS (even with jailbreaking), and got the Transformer Prime. One thing that a *lot* of people don't realize before they go into tablet world is that the things are nearly useless for any sort of content creation, even forum participation. I would browse GAF on the Prime, and then if I found myself wanting to post, I would literally switch over to my G2X to type it out.

The keyboard dock does help a bit, but you really have to set yourself up for it beforehand, otherwise its just a total PITA to get up from your comfy couch browsing to get it. Then once it's installed, you have a really crappy laptop that happens to have a touch interface.

My suggestion: Get a 12" AMD E-350/E-450 laptop and a Galaxy
Note
Best. Or just a phone that is large enough to fill that comfy browsing niche that a tablet does. Some people would say the 4.5-4.7" phones can do that fine. I would not.

Talon

Really? I couldn't disagree more.

I find myself at home without my laptop needing to edit documents. I just popped up Pages (or CloudOn would work better, presumably) and was pretty effective writing.

Now, granted, I'm looking to get a physical keyboard, but I was pretty surprised that I got what I needed to get done on a tablet.

And I have no issue with typing forum posts. Thank God for that split keyboard option. I'm sure it was a massive PITA prior to that feature.

mkenyon

Banned
And I have no issue with typing forum posts. Thank God for that split keyboard option. I'm sure it was a massive PITA prior to that feature.
You have no idea. Holding a heavy ass tablet in portrait mode was no answer either.

To each their own I guess. I'm an extremely fast touch typer and a beast on numpad. All my computer keyboards (save for HTPC) are mechanical cherry reds. When I try to emulate that on a tablet, I feel mostly rage. I dont get that with the Note for some reason though.

Talon

You have no idea. Holding a heavy ass tablet in portrait mode was no answer either.

To each their own I guess. I'm an extremely fast touch typer and a beast on numpad. All my computer keyboards (save for HTPC) are mechanical cherry reds. When I try to emulate that on a tablet, I feel mostly rage. I dont get that with the Note for some reason though.
No, I totally understand you. I'm the jackass that uses a noisy keyboard at work because I write for a living.

You can't really write properly with just the soft keyboard, but it works fine for editing documents, which really surprised me. I thought I would just get frustrated and stop.

When it comes to writing forum posts or emails, though, the device works great by itself. The split keyboard is a godsend there.

Anony

does anyone know an app that disables startup apps
i've tried 2, (autostart manager and android assistant), none works correctly

so, i got an ad in my notification bar, is there anyway to pinpoint which app is causing this

does anyone know an app that disables startup apps
i've tried 2, (autostart manager and android assistant), none works correctly

so, i got an ad in my notification bar, is there anyway to pinpoint which app is causing this
Download airpush detector from the market... oops play store.

54-46!

My old Walkman phone finally died on me, I'm thinking about getting a 3,7~ inch Android - any recommendations?

Primary functions: Phone (yup), Maps, Music

Donos

My old Walkman phone finally died on me, I'm thinking about getting a 3,7~ inch Android - any recommendations?

Primary functions: Phone (yup), Maps, Music

HTC Desire S comes to mind (HTC Droid Incredible in US) and maybe the Xperia Neo?
Galaxy Ace has a 3.5 display and i almost forgot the new HTC One V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom