• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Yea I'm still of the opinion that ROMs are overrated for new phones. They are good to keep phones alive longer but they are rarely fully functional and often have trade offs (stability)

Only true for non aosp devices.

Stability is phenomenal from aosp based builds except for the N1.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm loving this Xperia S but have a few questions...

Sure it's something totally obvious but how do i get texts to show on the lock screen? When I get an alert for emails/texts it blinks the notification LED but if i hit the power button to show the lock screen, all it shows is the 'slide to unlock' but doesn't show any notifications until I get to the home screen. I'm using Go SMS Pro as my sms app.

Do I need a new lock screen or launcher or something?

Ashhong

Sure it's something totally obvious but how do i get texts to show on the lock screen? When I get an alert for emails/texts it blinks the notification LED but if i hit the power button to show the lock screen, all it shows is the 'slide to unlock' but doesn't show any notifications until I get to the home screen. I'm using Go SMS Pro as my sms app.

Gingerbread right? Do you get popups if you are using the phone and you get a text? If not, hit menu on the main GO SMS screen and go to settings. Go into Default Notification Settings and play around with the notification popup settings.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Gingerbread right? Do you get popups if you are using the phone and you get a text? If not, hit menu on the main GO SMS screen and go to settings. Go into Default Notification Settings and play around with the notification popup settings.
Yep Gingerbread - I get the popups if i'm using the phone, but there's no popup on the lock screen if I get a text when the phone is locked. Will fiddle around with those settings though, thanks :)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Go to Settings -> Display -> Lock Screen Settings -> Notifications

and there you go

RevoDS

Yea I'm still of the opinion that ROMs are overrated for new phones. They are good to keep phones alive longer but they are rarely fully functional and often have trade offs (stability)

It depends. Most popular phones have a few ROMs either based on the original firmware or on a relatively similar device, which simply improve on the original one.

For example, I'm an HTC Desire Z owner, and the best ROMs I've used are HTC Sensation-based, such as Virtuous Unity. They are in virtually every way better than the original firmware.

But of course, the further you get, with AOSP-based ROMs in particular, I completely agree with you: they're usually pretty bad. I'm running an ICS ROM right now, and things are really not that peachy, with bugs virtually everywhere.

The community has done a great job keeping the device up to date after HTC dropped support early, but it's just not cutting it anymore.

I've loved my Desire Z, it's an amazing little device, but the support just isn't there anymore, even from the community. I'm starting to get that upgrade itch.

And this time around, there doesn't seem to be any Android device that really stands out. Back when I got it, I literally fell in love with the DZ, looking at every review, every little detail I could find for about 2 months before pulling the trigger. I just knew it was the one I wanted, and it's the one that lured me away from getting an iPhone. The Atrix back then was also quite innovative and a really good device. I know it's time for me to upgrade, but there's no Android phone that makes me want to upgrade (I've never been a fan of Samsung's phones, despite knowing that objectively they're pretty much unbeatable).

It's like a sea of phones with slightly different interfaces and technical details, but there isn't any that stands out to me. Am I the only one feeling this way about the current crop?

Reader mode coming to Firefox Mobile

ff-reader.jpg

I might give Firefox a try just for that feature alone.
Am posting from the latest Nightly and it is so much better than when I last tried it. Much more stable and faster. Haven't had a crash or seen checker boarding. Still some issues but I can actually use it now.

Doopliss

Am posting from the latest Nightly and it is so much better than when I last tried it. Much more stable and faster. Haven't had a crash or seen checker boarding. Still some issues but I can actually use it now.

Scrolling is mostly really good now on my GS2, although on The Verge (and I assume other complex sites) when you stop scrolling you get a low-res image of the site and it can take a couple of seconds for the real thing to load in. But that solution is so much better than checkerboarding or empty white space (I'm looking at you, Chrome Beta for Android).

I'm not a fan of the UI though. It looks ok on the start screen, but anywhere else that bar looks awful, wedged between the page and the status bar. Wish they'd kept the idea of the side bars when they did the rebuild.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
big.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

So far Samsung has been keeping its next flagship under wraps quite successfully. We've only seen blurry shots of the externals and supposedly, those are not even the final designs.

Props to Samsung for their success so far, but could this be the first serious leak of the handset?

What we have on our hands today is an image that looks a lot like what the Samsung Galaxy S3 is supposed to look like, judging by some of the more substantial leaks from the past.

Now this photo didn't come with any extra info on the handset, but the leaked specifications for the device so far detail a 4.6 or 4.8-inch SuperAMOLED screen of 720p resolution, Samsung's latest quad-core Exynos chipset, and an 8 or 12 megapixel camera to go with those. There should also be an extra beefier battery to make the phone last a bit longer.

Now as usual, take this thing with a pinch of salt. But our guess is leaks won't get any better than this before the official announcement. Even if it's some user-land fan art, we still appreciate the effort and it's a job nicely done.

Thanks for the tip, Ali.

Update: Thanks to the same tipster, we now have another shot, which shows the textured back on the S3. Looks as good as legit to us. Notice, however, the model inscription uses the Roman numerals again, just as we thought they'll finally be transitioning to regular ones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/this_looks_like_a_legit_samsung_galaxy_s3_press_shot-news-4181.php

SimleuqiR

130mm? Shorter than the GN? With a bigger screen.

Boner time.

Something, something, five inches long...

http://st.gsmarena.com/vv//newsimg/12/04/is-this-sgs-3-press-shot/big.jpg
Update: Thanks to the same tipster, we now have another shot, which shows the textured back on the S3. Looks as good as legit to us. Notice, however, the model inscription uses the Roman numerals again, just as we thought they'll finally be transitioning to regular ones.

http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/12/04/is-this-sgs-3-press-shot/gsmarena_002.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/this_looks_l...-news-4181.php

If it's anything like the Tuna it's going to slip off your fingers rather easily. That texture shit doesn't work.

Noob question: I just started using Android recently (ICS on HP Toupad) and I love it. But there is one thing I'm not sure about and that is how do I close apps? Most apps don't have an Exit menu option, so do they close automatically when I click the Home button? Do I need to swipe them off from the Recent Apps list or what?

Is there an Android 101 guide I can read/watch?

Noob question: I just started using Android recently (ICS on HP Toupad) and I love it. But there is one thing I'm not sure about and that is how do I close apps? Most apps don't have an Exit menu option, so do they close automatically when I click the Home button? Do I need to swipe them off from the Recent Apps list or what?

Is there an Android 101 guide I can read/watch?

typically, pressing the Home button leaves apps open, while pressing the Back button closes them. you don't have to worry about closing apps if you don't want to though, Android has memory management that clears apps out to make room for other apps when necessary.

Sarcasm

Why has my wife's old sensation (not the xl) has gotten the 4.0 upgrade and my international note hasn't? Both bought in Taiwan.

kehs

Banned
Like the monster mentioned you don't really have to worry about closing apps. Those apps that require closing usually have a close option somewhere in their menus.

The other thing you can do to manually dismiss them from memory is to swipe them left or right from the recent apps popup.

This is pretty broad overview of ics:
http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

Just heard back from the repair centre. I need a new screen (£150) and a new motherboard (£200) for my toilet diving Samsung GS2. No way I'm paying that so am in the market for a new phone.

Tempted by the Nokia Lumia 710 as it's only £140 st the moment on PAYG. The Xperia S is tempting me to spend too much.

yogloo

Why has my wife's old sensation (not the xl) has gotten the 4.0 upgrade and my international note hasn't? Both bought in Taiwan.

Because samsung are assholes. :(
Your upgrade to ICS will be mindblowing. I tried out the leak and I can never go back to gingerbread even though the leak is very buggy.

S4 showing up and looking a lot better than I expected. Gives me greaaaaat sighs of relief for the US carrier bound flagships.

Think I may ultimately end up grabbing the white one X...but im still waiting until 5/3 to see what Samsung has up their sleeve...

If the design of the Samsung is not impressive...One X it is. Everything else is just too close

freshair

Thinking about picking up a used Sensation 4G.

Anyone have experiences with this?

Was thinking about getting the One S with my upgrade, but I'm ~saving it (lol) for next Nexus (??) in the fall or possibly the rumored iphone 5 for tmobile.

Anywayyyys, that's why I'm picking up a slighter older device.

Was debating between this and the Nexus S, and I plan on rooting and flashing, so "pure google" isn't a selling point to me.

I'm temporarily abandoning the Windows Phone boat.

gcubed

Thinking about picking up a used Sensation 4G.

Anyone have experiences with this?

Was thinking about getting the One S with my upgrade, but I'm ~saving it (lol) for next Nexus (??) in the fall or possibly the rumored iphone 5 for tmobile.

Anywayyyys, that's why I'm picking up a slighter older device.

Was debating between this and the Nexus S, and I plan on rooting and flashing, so "pure google" isn't a selling point to me.

I'm temporarily abandoning the Windows Phone boat.

the quality and reliability of your ROMs are going to be better with a nexus S

Someone I know might be able to get me a discount on a Galaxy Note, s2, Nexus, Xperia S or One X. I need to decide which one to get, the One X will be most expensive but I'm finding myself gravitating towards the Note or Xperia S.

Anyone have any experience with the Xperia S?

Fox Mulder

anyone have any experience with Verizon letting them use their early upgrade a little early? My early upgrade is due June 7th.

they keep sending me offers to upgrade early with $100 off any lte device. I haven't bit because we don't have lte coverage yet.

I'm sure you can get them to budge if you tell them you want an lte phone.

McLovin

My evo 3d just started to randomly reboot when not in use. It started a few days ago, and as time went by it started happening more. Now it does it like twice per hour. Anyone heard of this happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom