• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey Galaxy Note owners:
  • Is it possible to use the GNote upside down? Perhaps by forcing the orientation change with a rotation utility or by enabling tablet mode?
  • What are the best writing and drawing apps now available for GNote? Are there any other apps that take advantage of the S-pen e.g a browser with hover tooltips?

yogloo

Hey Galaxy Note owners:
  • Is it possible to use the GNote upside down? Perhaps by forcing the orientation change with a rotation utility or by enabling tablet mode?
  • What are the best writing and drawing apps now available for GNote? Are there any other apps that take advantage of the S-pen e.g a browser with hover tooltips?

1. Wow. That's sort of a strange request. My current launcher, nova doesn't seem to allow that.
2. Sketchbook pro is pretty good. For note taking, I'm currently liking freenote. It saves your handwriting as the note which is pretty cool, and it works really well with the s-pen regarding pressure sensitivity. I've never encountered hover tool tip in any of my apps.

Blackhead

Redarse
1. Wow. That's sort of a strange request. My current launcher, nova doesn't seem to allow that.
2. Sketchbook pro is pretty good. For note taking, I'm currently liking freenote. It saves your handwriting as the note which is pretty cool, and it works really well with the s-pen regarding pressure sensitivity. I've never encountered hover tool tip in any of my apps.

1. That's a phone restriction not a launcher restriction. All phone OS support 3 orientations while their tablet counterparts support 4…
  2. this freenote? Thanks.
    Sidenote—saw on the inter webs that Adobe's Photoshop Touch is working on the GNote:
    SVXkZ.png

Does anyone here have the North American version of the GNote?

yogloo

1. That's a phone restriction not a launcher restriction. All phone OS support 3 orientations while their tablet counterparts support 4…
  2. this freenote? Thanks.
    Sidenote—saw on the inter webs that Adobe's Photoshop Touch is working on the GNote:
    SVXkZ.png

Does anyone here have the North American version of the GNote?
Yup that's the one. It's pretty nice for a freebie.
Mine's the international version. Isn't the ATT note gimped?

So, I woke up this morning to an OTA update from T-Mobile for the G2X. Updating to Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread! Basically bug and performance fixes and the like.

YAY!

Hopefully this is mainly a primer to help the ICS transition. ICS is officially due for the G2X this quarter.

I am now getting errors when updating/installing apps: Insufficient space, even though I have a shit ton. So, that will be interesting to deal with.

kehs

Banned
So, I woke up this morning to an OTA update from T-Mobile for the G2X. Updating to Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread! Basically bug and performance fixes and the like.

YAY!

Hopefully this is mainly a primer to help the ICS transition. ICS is officially due for the G2X this quarter.

I am now getting errors when updating/installing apps: Insufficient space, even though I have a shit ton. So, that will be interesting to deal with.

Clear the Play store data/cache, that should fix the space warning.

xxczx

hey android-GAF, quick and probably kind of stupid question, I'm thinking of getting my first contract phone and moving away from this piece of crap that is Blackberry. I'm not up to date on the Android scene and all the newest phones but is it worth getting Samsung Galaxy Nexus now? It's £35 a month on Three. (Only asking this since it's been five months since the release and there might be a better phone out there)

hey android-GAF, quick and probably kind of stupid question, I'm thinking of getting my first contract phone and moving away from this piece of crap that is Blackberry. I'm not up to date on the Android scene and all the newest phones but is it worth getting Samsung Galaxy Nexus now? It's £35 a month on Three. (Only asking this since it's been five months since the release and there might be a better phone out there)

Best Android phone at the moment is the HTC One X. I'd put Galaxy Nexus at No. 2, but then as an owner I might be a wee bit biased, although if you don't mind the size then the Galaxy Note is also worth considering.

How many mins/texts/data allowance are you after? You should be able to get Galaxy Nexus for free on a contract for under £35 a month.

xxczx

Best Android phone at the moment is the HTC One X. I'd put Galaxy Nexus at No. 2, but then as an owner I might be a wee bit biased, although if you don't mind the size then the Galaxy Note is also worth considering.

How many mins/texts/data allowance are you after? You should be able to get Galaxy Nexus for free on a contract for under £35 a month.
For £35, Nexus is free with 5000 texts, 500 mins and 'unlimited' data (not sure if Three caps or it's truly unlimited as I haven't looked it up) at the Carphone Warehouse. I'm not that bothered about minutes... or texts (as long as I get some mins/texts), data is what I'm after.

HTC One X is £30 on Three but with 100mins and it does sound better than Nexus. :p

For £35, Nexus is free with 5000 texts, 500 mins and 'unlimited' data (not sure if Three caps or it's truly unlimited as I haven't looked it up) at the Carphone Warehouse. I'm not that bothered about minutes... or texts (as long as I get some mins/texts), data is what I'm after.

HTC One X is £30 on Three but with 100mins and it does sound better than Nexus. :p

If it's "All You Can Eat" data plan then it is completely unlimited. You can tether as well. Check the tariff details jsut to make sure.

You can get the HTC One X for free on T-Mobile for £26 a month, 100mins, unlimited texts, 1.5gb internet. (£26 Large Internet plan) http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/HTC/HTC-One-X/85,98429,All,tt1,ct1

Or, for for an upfront £20 you get HTC One X, and 300mins/texts/unlimited data on Three (£30 Ultimate 300 plan) http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/HTC/HTC-One-X/85,98429,All,tt1,ct1

xxczx

If it's "All You Can Eat" data plan then it is completely unlimited. You can tether as well. Check the tariff details jsut to make sure.

You can get the HTC One X for free on T-Mobile for £26 a month, 100mins, unlimited texts, 1.5gb internet. (£26 Large Internet plan) http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/HTC/HTC-One-X/85,98429,All,tt1,ct1

Or, for for an upfront £20 you get HTC One X, and 300mins/texts/unlimited data on Three (£30 Ultimate 300 plan) http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/HTC/HTC-One-X/85,98429,All,tt1,ct1
Ah I see, thanks.

I'd rather not have the T-Mobile one since it has a cap, Three sounds good to me but I'm going to go in store to Carphone Warehouse next week rather than order online. Thanks anyway!

@Doopliss
Never heard of that site before, looks like it'll come in handy, cheers

How much data do you normally use? I'm not happy with caps, but only once hit the data allowance. Okay that was 2gb+ and that month I tethered like hell.

Ashhong

[citation needed]

Well, thats why I said "no?" because I wasn't sure. If not the company themselves, then other people always said "Use Apex, it does everything Nova does but for free". It was kind of the main selling point of the free app. I'm just sad that notifications is pro only really. But after spending money on launcher pro, I'm never spending money on a launcher again.

Al-ibn Kermit

The Evo LTE is the equivalent to the One X, with the exception of quad-core being replaced with dual core, right?

Yes, it uses a newer type of dual core that performs neck and neck with the quad core version. According to benchmarks.

I think the battery life is supposed to be about the same too. The sprint version also adds a kickstand and microsd card slot if you care about that.

Yes, it uses a newer type of dual core that performs neck and neck with the quad core version. According to benchmarks.

I think the battery life is supposed to be about the same too. The sprint version also adds a kickstand and microsd card slot if you care about that.

Cool. I'm a fan of Micro SD, so that is a plus as well.

Is the HTC One X the phone to get, or should I keep waiting for another phone? I was planning on getting an HTC One X next week but I'm still on the fence.

Is the HTC One X the phone to get, or should I keep waiting for another phone? I was planning on getting an HTC One X next week but I'm still on the fence.

From what I've gathered, it will be the best phone up for grabs until the new Galaxy hits. Not sure how big of an upgrade we are talking about here between the two, but I'm sure someone will chime in and inform us both.

Circle T

From what I've gathered, it will be the best phone up for grabs until the new Galaxy hits. Not sure how big of an upgrade we are talking about here between the two, but I'm sure someone will chime in and inform us both.

We'll have to wait until next week's Galaxy announcement to be sure of it's specs, but if recent benchmarks are to be believed, it should be pretty untouchable from a performance standpoint. That said, we're only talking benchmarks there. I've used the (AT&T) One X a bit, and it is no slouch either. If you want a really nice, very smooth phone, it will do nicely.

*Edit* - Also, it will most likely be some time before the GSIII comes Stateside. So for at least the next few months, the One X variants are tops.

tino

Banned
We'll have to wait until next week's Galaxy announcement to be sure of it's specs, but if recent benchmarks are to be believed, it should be pretty untouchable from a performance standpoint. That said, we're only talking benchmarks there. I've used the (AT&T) One X a bit, and it is no slouch either. If you want a really nice, very smooth phone, it will do nicely.

*Edit* - Also, it will most likely be some time before the GSIII comes Stateside. So for at least the next few months, the One X variants are tops.

All US smartphones have the same Snapdragon S4, why are you even talking about benchmark?

kIdMuScLe

Anyone got the new HTC ONE S? How is it? specifically if is the T-Mo brand as i just ordered mine's over the phone and it should be arriving within a week. =/

Ephemeris

Anyone got the new HTC ONE S? How is it? specifically if is the T-Mo brand as i just ordered mine's over the phone and it should be arriving within a week. =/

I'm debating whether to get that since I have an upgrade available now (and another coming up in 4 months) or just pay the $400+ tax for the GNex.

Definitely would appreciate some impressions.

tino

Banned
even with the same SoC, the GS3 could have better performance. the T-Mobile GSII had better performance than the Amaze because TW > Sense.

Unless one bootloader is easier to unlock than another, I don't see reason to pick one over another.

If you want to pick GS3 based on replaceable battery, then yes its a valid reason.

I'm debating whether to get that since I have an upgrade available now (and another coming up in 4 months) or just pay the $400+ tax for the GNex.

Definitely would appreciate some impressions.

I've got the international one, and boy it's a lovely phone. Still can't get over how sexy it looks and how thin it is. Still decent heft to it.

It's not the top end but it's pretty damn powerful so you won't feel slowdown. Sense 4 needs some trimming but it's not bad, it's an improvement. The lockscreen is one of my favourite bits as it uses your shortcuts.

Nice camera and camera software, that's a big plus for it. Burst mode is really useful.

The screen I think is gorgeous. Sure, it's pentile, but I think it looks great. Because I'm a bad human being in the eyes of all tech bloggers.

Battery has done pretty well too. It'll do you the day, obviously if you play games that'll be the biggest hit to it.

And the sound is good. Beats is obviously a gimmick but all the stuff in there, it's a great sounding phone and the speaker isn't bad either. Quite impressed with it.

If there's anything you want to know, just ask.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
...more pics:

SGSiii.jpg

There were mixed reports concerning the screen size of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy flagship. Some talked about a possible 4.65-inch display while others reported on a 4.8-inch screen (of course, given that there will only be one device to be unveiled on May 3 in London).

According to the image above, the phone, which is allegedly the upcoming Galaxy S II refresh, measures 130mm. Same report claims that the screen on the device is a rather big one, measuring 4.8-inches, slightly larger than its direct competitor, the HTC One X and its 4.7-inch screen.

A couple of notes: since the ruler is aligned with the bottom of the phone and the zero marker is somewhat above that, we believe the phone is 135mm tall. In our calculations below we will take the excess 5mm into consideration. We believe the calculation of the 4.8-inch diagonal is somewhat right. Using the ruler above the phone you'll find that the screen is around 10.5 cm tall by substracting 1.2 cm -- distance from bottom to the screen -- from 11.7 cm -- distance from the top to the screen. Given a 16/9 aspect ratio we can calculate that the screen is around 5.9 cm wide. From here we can calculate that the diagonal is around 12 cm, which translates to 4.74 inches -- just about the same size as the One X. Please note, again, that this calculation is based on the ruler in the image above. Thanks Pythagoras for your theorem!

There are no more details but the picture seems to confirm the hardware Home Button we've seen in previous leaks (and a render based on the leaked service manual). If the previous device picture we've seen is of any indication then there should be two capacitive buttons to the left and the right of the Home Button.

Looks more and more certain...but we'll see soon!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who cares about the One X and Gs3 spec differences. It's nothing you'll even notice.

Circle T

All US smartphones have the same Snapdragon S4, why are you even talking about benchmark?

No one said you have to wait for the US GSIII. The international GSIII will undoubtedly continue the Exynos power domination, and due to the miracle™ of GSM, it will work just fine here in the US.

Samsung doesn't lock bootloaders.

Plus Odin and Heimdall are awesome.

This is so true. The main reason I keep sticking with Samsung for my personal Android phones.

xxczx

How much data do you normally use? I'm not happy with caps, but only once hit the data allowance. Okay that was 2gb+ and that month I tethered like hell.
Right now I'm on Giffgaff which has unlimited and I've been on it for a long time since my old Android phone, I don't think I could keep within a data cap since I have no available wi-fi if I decide to go mad one day, plus I would like to watch YouTube videos and stream music and that would eat up data crazy.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Will that be the case for a Verizon version as well?

tino

Banned
No one said you have to wait for the US GSIII. The international GSIII will undoubtedly continue the Exynos power domination, and due to the miracle™ of GSM, it will work just fine here in the US.

This is so true. The main reason I keep sticking with Samsung for my personal Android phones.

It will work on 3G speed on ATT but it will run on 2G speed on TMobile.

By your logic you should wait for the Huawei D Quad since it has even faster benchmark.

kIdMuScLe

I've got the international one, and boy it's a lovely phone. Still can't get over how sexy it looks and how thin it is. Still decent heft to it.

It's not the top end but it's pretty damn powerful so you won't feel slowdown. Sense 4 needs some trimming but it's not bad, it's an improvement. The lockscreen is one of my favourite bits as it uses your shortcuts.

Nice camera and camera software, that's a big plus for it. Burst mode is really useful.

The screen I think is gorgeous. Sure, it's pentile, but I think it looks great. Because I'm a bad human being in the eyes of all tech bloggers.

Battery has done pretty well too. It'll do you the day, obviously if you play games that'll be the biggest hit to it.

And the sound is good. Beats is obviously a gimmick but all the stuff in there, it's a great sounding phone and the speaker isn't bad either. Quite impressed with it.

If there's anything you want to know, just ask.

How's the included headphone? Oh and how's the build? Does it feel cheaply made? I wish that T-mobile should've kept the Micro Arc Oxidation build as i read is supposed to be scratch proof. Is that true? and yea i read that the new hardware specs is pretty much going to make those custom roms irrelevant because of how fast everything feels with no slowdown at all.

How's the included headphone? Oh and how's the build? Does it feel cheaply made? I wish that T-mobile should've kept the Micro Arc Oxidation build as i read is supposed to be scratch proof. Is that true? and yea i read that the new hardware specs is pretty much going to make those custom roms irrelevant because of how fast everything feels with no slowdown at all.

Headphones: you're not getting Beats, nothing special. Mine came with HTC standard headphones, but not ones with the foamy bits on anymore. It's not got full media controls like the ones I got with my Desire, you've got one button on the headphones, unmarked, which I think is play/stop. Nothing special, just a standard pair you'll probably already have.

Build: feels fantastic. It's thin, but it feels solid, it's not going to snap and I feel pretty confident about it's sturdiness. I've got the one with the micro arc oxidation, which gives the back an unusual but not unpleasant texture. No scratches so far.

Circle T

It will work on 3G speed on ATT but it will run on 2G speed on TMobile.
The initial poster was talking about AT&T usage, so T-Mobile compatibility is irrelevant.

By your logic you should wait for the Huawei D Quad since it has even faster benchmark.
If benchmarks are important to you, and that phone produces high scores, then it would seem prudent to give it a look. As I said, though, the initial discussion was simply about the AT&T One X and its performance in relation to the GSIII. Since only one of those devices is real as of yet (and not yet available), we'll have to wait a bit to see which is the better performing device.

Once the One X (S4), GSIII, and Ascend are available, you can make your own judgement on how their benchmarks factor in your purchase decision.

kIdMuScLe

Headphones: you're not getting Beats, nothing special. Mine came with HTC standard headphones, but not ones with the foamy bits on anymore. It's not got full media controls like the ones I got with my Desire, you've got one button on the headphones, unmarked, which I think is play/stop. Nothing special, just a standard pair you'll probably already have.

Build: feels fantastic. It's thin, but it feels solid, it's not going to snap and I feel pretty confident about it's sturdiness. I've got the one with the micro arc oxidation, which gives the back an unusual but not unpleasant texture. No scratches so far.

Ah sweet. =) I think i'm going to have a blast with this phone then! =)

Circle T

GSM doesn't work on Sprint though, and there is no way that I am giving up my SERO Plan!

Um....

The initial poster was talking about AT&T usage, so T-Mobile compatibility is irrelevant.

If benchmarks are important to you, and that phone produces high scores, then it would seem prudent to give it a look. As I said, though, the initial discussion was simply about the AT&T One X and its performance in relation to the GSIII. Since only one of those devices is real as of yet (and not yet available), we'll have to wait a bit to see which is the better performing device.

Once the One X (S4), GSIII, and Ascend are available, you can make your own judgement on how their benchmarks factor in your purchase decision.

Simply a discussion about devices on AT&T. Nothing more.

gcubed

Yea I'm still of the opinion that ROMs are overrated for new phones. They are good to keep phones alive longer but they are rarely fully functional and often have trade offs (stability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom