• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, in ICS, how do I turn off the data option completely when I know that I am in roaming etc? Or when I think my data consumption would go over the limit?

WiFi Galaxy Tab has no GPS, you can take my word for it. I had a Galaxy Tab. My understanding is that the hardware gps module is inside the radio component. Thats why only the 3G iPad has GPS.

Anyway i am bored of this topic. Who want to use a 10 tablet for navigation anyway.

which model number doesn't have GPS? pretty sure all the Galaxy Tab model spec sheets i saw mentioned GPS, the 10.1 for sure lists it.

Alright, in ICS, how do I turn off the data option completely when I know that I am in roaming etc? Or when I think my data consumption would go over the limit?

check under Data Usage

Iqt2S.png

kehs

Banned
dunno about the Flyer offhand, but the Galaxy Tabs and Xoom Wifi have GPS.

edit: Flyer has GPS and i can only find info on Wifi/Cell SpringBoard, which also has GPS.

seriously, including GPS hardware is not that expensive, only Amazon cuts corners like that, even the Nook Tablet and Nook Color apparenrtly have GPS hardware built in on a multipurpose chip, just no antenna connected and no firmware/driver support so they're unusable.

seriously, even $140 DealExtreme resistive touchscreen 4GB/256MB/7"/800*480/650MHz tablets have GPS HW built in.

The quality of the GPS on the embedded systems are pretty shitty, shitty enough that companies turn them off and add separate modules if needed.

I think Asus tried to skirt by on the embedded gps and fell flat on their face.

which model number doesn't have GPS? pretty sure all the Galaxy Tab model spec sheets i saw mentioned GPS, the 10.1 for sure lists it.

check under Data Usage

Thank you.

So, if I set the data to turn off, will 3G still be active but not just consume data or will that be turned off as well? So I could save some battery.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
blurry leak of the upcoming sony flagship hayabusa lt29i now called the Xperia GX

should be released this july.

221411hffqoeqjghhfhx7r.jpg

rumored specs i got from another forum:

-roughly 7mm thick
-ICS
-1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU
-4.55" 720 x 1280
-1gb ram
-16gb internal memory
-13MP camera
-1700 mAh battery
-lte
-nfc

So it's Sony's GNex, but with a much much better camera and processor.

*twinge of buyer's remorse*

No! Galaxy Nexus is the best! Sony crap can go sit in the corner!

Really glad it has NFC though. I really want that to catch on.

The quality of the GPS on the embedded systems are pretty shitty, shitty enough that companies turn them off and add separate modules if needed.

I think Asus tried to skirt by on the embedded gps and fell flat on their face.

i mean, they aren't going to be as good as a standalone GPS device or more expensive separate module, but they work well enough. Asus' problem was they had an all metal case shielding the GPS in the Prime, the GPS worked fine in the original Transformer.

Thank you.

So, if I set the data to turn off, will 3G still be active but not just consume data or will that be turned off as well? So I could save some battery.

i've never actually turned it off, but i assume it would be turned off and not just on but blocking data usage as that would be ridiculous... but stranger things have happened before!

Angst

i mean, they aren't going to be as good as a standalone GPS device or more expensive separate module, but they work well enough. Asus' problem was they had an all metal case shielding the GPS in the Prime, the GPS worked fine in the original Transformer.

i've never actually turned it off, but i assume it would be turned off and not just on but blocking data usage as that would be ridiculous... but stranger things have happened before!
it's completely off and battery will suddenly last three to four days or so. Partly of course because you don't turn on the screen as much as with data on.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
A global version of the Xperia Ion has been announced:

http://www.eprice.com.cn/mobile/talk/4450/4494496/1/1/0/1/0

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/04/2...taiwan/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

XperiaionLT28i_1.jpg

Xperia ion LT28i 主要规格
‧ 未来可升级 Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich 系统
‧ Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 MSM8260 1.5GHz 双核心处理器
‧ 1GB RAM / 16GB ROM
‧ 4.6 英寸 1280 x 720 像素电容触控屏幕,1670 万色显示
‧ 支持 SONY Bravia Engine 影像技术
‧ 1210 万像素 Sony Exmor R 相机 支援 1080p 录像 / 前置 130 万像素相机
‧ 高质感铝镁合金金属机身设计
‧ 支持最大 32GB 的 microSD 卡扩充
‧ 内建 1900mAh 电池

tino

Banned
Incorrect. I had a Wi-Fi Galaxy tab 10.1 and it had GPS.

I actually was talking about the original Galaxy Tab 7 inch. I googled around and I couldn't find a single forum poster who owned the wifi version. Obvious nobody brought it since both ATT and Spring were dumping their 3G versions for 199.

I completed forgot the 10.1 so I admit I was wrong.

SimleuqiR

Twitter updated today. Instead of fixing the contact sync, they just removed it altogether. Lol

::::Looks a Sync setting on his Tuna:::

It's there..and actually sycing/synced! And yes, I have updated the app.

Edit...OK on the Sync setting is there. But within the "Peoples" App you can't sync it.

I'm beginning to think that Twitter, just like Facebook, seem threaten by Google+.
Why the fear? Beside for anyone actually using the network...it's a dead town...right?

kehs

Banned
::::Looks a Sync setting on his Tuna:::

It's there..and actually sycing/synced! And yes, I have updated the app.

Edit...OK on the Sync setting is there. But within the "Peoples" App you can't sync it.

I'm beginning to think that Twitter, just like Facebook, seem threaten by Google+.
Why the fear? Beside for anyone actually using the network...it's a dead town...right?

Google opted to not renew their twitter integration in search. Then they launched G+ a month later and staring using hashtags on there.

Google opted to not renew their twitter integration in search. Then they launched G+ a month later and staring using hashtags on there.

I thought Google said it was Twitter who decided not to renew.

Sucks, I kinda liked that integration; at-least better than this Search Plus Your World garbage.

kehs

Banned

Sucks, I kinda liked that integration; at-least better than this Search Plus Your World garbage.

Yea you're right. It was twitter that didn't want to renew.

The first time I remember using it was for Obama's osama announcement. I was like wtf CNN...

Sean

Banned

Microsoft renewed their Twitter deal for Bing, so I'm pretty sure it was Google that turned them down. It supposedly cost 30 million a year, perhaps they thought it wouldn't be worth it when they were launching their own social network.

Of course, no one uses Google+ so it's far less useful than the previous real time search.

zbeeb

Looks like Google Play Movies is now available in Australia!

just noticed this too! Has anybody actually used it before?

I can't wait for the days when google can successfully pull off a day 1 international rollout for its products.

EDIT: $5.99 for a rental! Bit Steep?

jokkir

Anyone else feel that the People app is getting more useless everyday as Social Networks keep backing out from syncing for some reason? >> Although, it is still a Contact app

jokkir

The fuck. I still don't know why Wario was banned.

And I haven't been banned once so obviously I am not cool enough.

[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming because his quality of "trolling" was getting worse. Or at least there was this one thread where a ton of people were complaining about him and his trolling quality declining.

Anywho, how bout that S3. Is there going to be a livestream of its unveiling?

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm assuming because his quality of "trolling" was getting worse. Or at least there was this one thread where a ton of people were complaining about him and his trolling quality declining.

Anywho, how bout that S3. Is there going to be a livestream of its unveiling?

Should anybody care? It doesn't look like there's going to be anything game-changing about the hardware.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Serious question, how is this design out of the park? It's a big black rectangle that looks almost exactly like my AT&T Galaxy S2.
Can't speak for the Ion, and I'm gonna sound totally pretentious but it's the smaller details - there's something really slick and minimal about the Xperia S. No rounded corners, that bar across the bottom which is transparent and lights up really softly, the matte finish and how the screen seems to disappear into the casing when it's off. I fucking love this phone. Switched from my iphone 4 (which I loved - the bf is getting that one) but the geek in me is loving Android. It's far less clunky than I've been led to believe - it's not even ICS yet either :p

Averon

Serious question, how is this design out of the park? It's a big black rectangle that looks almost exactly like my AT&T Galaxy S2.

I like the simple design. Yes, it's a black rectangle, but it's damn fine looking black rectangle. No gaudy silver/chrome trimmings or contrasting colors. I actually like the fact that the Ion is one solid color (excluding the lettering and logos).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom