• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
Well I mean if you're going to wait for the EVO LTE, might as well wait and see if the GS3 will be coming.
It sounds like he needs a new phone soon and while the GS3 announcement is coming next week, it probably won't come state side until fall.

DXPett1

Leaked picture of the S3 from a service manual

i9300-specs.png

As expected, looks like a GNex with hardware buttons
GNex is still best Galaxy

Zeppu

Don't think they said it, it was assumed with the meizu having it.

http://www.newswire.co.kr/newsRead.php?no=619885&ected=
Designed on 32nm HKMG process, new energy-efficient chip exceeds 1.4GHz per core
Already in production, the Exynos 4 Quad is scheduled to be adopted first into Samsung’s next Galaxy smartphone that will officially be announced in May. Samsung’s Exynos 4 Quad is also sampling to other major handset makers.

I don't know why one would say 'exceeds 1.4GHz' to refer to 1.5GHz, but that's pretty much the assumption everyone is making. I don't know though.

Edit: I'm finding it hard to believe it'll have hardware buttons, that's all. Furthermore, most of the leaks seem t have a bit of tape stuck over where the back/menu button are.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

i9300-specs.png

As expected, looks like a GNex with hardware buttons
GNex is still best Galaxy
The radio has been downgraded to 21 mbps? That doesn't seem right.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/108579/i9300G]

As expected, looks like a GNex with hardware buttons [spoiler]GNex is still best Galaxy[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Looks like a much uglier Galaxy Nexus (due to the fugly buttons). Specs are awesome, though.

Circle T

The super LCD in the One X is way nicer then that pentile AMOLEDs. Since there is no non pentile HD AMOLED screen yet its hard to compare

Not for a phone, but the G-Tab 7.7 is HD SAMOLED Plus. I agree, though. The screen on the One X is, currently, the best screen I've seen on a mobile device. Ever.

Zeppu

I agree that that One X screen is better than the GNex screen, but not by much (at least under normal conditions). I understand that the One X is much better in sunlight, but I haven't been able to see the difference myself yet.

Circle T

I agree that that One X screen is better than the GNex screen, but not by much (at least under normal conditions). I understand that the One X is much better in sunlight, but I haven't been able to see the difference myself yet.

The G-Nex looks really good, and due to being SAMOLED, obviously has excellent blacks. The One X screen doesn't suffer at all from the weird color shifting at low brightness levels like the Nexus does, though, and overall, just looks that extra bit sharper. Everything is just so crisp and clear. G-Nex looks really good, the One X is just really, REALLY good.

Hmmm, I guess my ignorance of screen tech strikes again. Excited to get this new Evo, especially after being forced to use my old Windows based HTC Touch for the next few weeks. This phone is terrible lol

Talon

My guess is going to be liquid metal incorporation in some way. That first teaser poster was too obvious with the reference.

Toki767

Have people done benchmarks or anything for the One X with the S4 chip? I know it performs great on the One S but the resolution isn't as high so I was just curious how much of a hit the performance takes.

kehs

Banned
Sony yearning for that Nexus Cawk:

I'm happy to see Ice Cream Sandwich on more devices. Congratulations to Sony on joining the bleeding edge.

It took Sony only about 5 months to ship this after I released the code in the Android Open Source Project at the very end of last year. This is actually a very reasonable time, since under the hood Ice Cream Sandwich is quite different from Honeycomb (and upgrades from Gingerbread are likely to take longer as those differences are huge).

Since Sony has been contributing a lot to the Android Open Source Project, they have fewer changes that they need to maintain on their own: those changes of theirs are already there when the source code is first released. That's probably one of the reasons why they could get done faster: the work they did preparing those contributions gave them a head start. I don't think that any other manufacturer has been contributing nearly as much as Sony did, so everyone else is now going to have to play catch-up.

The part that blows my mind is that some variants of the Google-engineered flagship devices still haven't received Ice Cream Sandwich (or are stuck with older versions of Ice Cream Sandwich) because of delays introduced by operator approvals. I'm very glad that Google is back in the business of selling phones directly without any middlemen to interfere, and I'll be even happier when I see that program expanded to more countries.

https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/79eKhEgNYeN

Weird that they don't mention Asus hustling to get their ICS out quicker than even Google or Moto.

It's also funny to see JBQ speak out about a certain carrier starting with a V, but only after they put up the GN for sale. Up to this point he's always said "I'm not involved on that end, so I can't speak to it".

besiktas1

My only fault I can find after 2 weeks of One X use?.. I'm finding the volume too low. Both with headphones on (using tma-1's so not the headphones fault) and ringing volume.

Any hacks to make it louder?

gcubed

Sony yearning for that Nexus Cawk:

https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/79eKhEgNYeN

Weird that they don't mention Asus hustling to get their ICS out quicker than even Google or Moto.

It's also funny to see JBQ speak out about a certain carrier starting with a V, but only after they put up the GN for sale. Up to this point he's always said "I'm not involved on that end, so I can't speak to it".

because no one wants to talk about Asus right now. DONGLE DONGLE DONGLE

kehs

Banned
because no one wants to talk about Asus right now. DONGLE DONGLE DONGLE

To be fair, it's pretty rare for a wifi tablet to even offer GPS, but yea that things is an eye sore.

Their taking the modular concept just a little to far.

What's next? A tablet without a processor that you then have to jam your phone inside it.

Circle T

To be fair, it's pretty rare for a wifi tablet to even offer GPS, but yea that things is an eye sore.

What's next? A tablet without a processor that you then have to jam your phone inside it.

Not back for more than 10 mins, and already back to pimpin the PadFone. Classic CoCo :)

gcubed

well, the difference is ... one exists.

giga

Was wondering if that might happen.
I'm gonna put my tin foil hat on for a second.

Wonder if Apple paid Samsung for some exclusivity in the quad chip for use in the next iPhone.

I could be way wrong too. lol
Apple doesn't use exynos.

pretty rare based on unit sales or model?

i mean, i know the Kindle Fire, Nook Color, Nook Tablet and Wifi iPad, iPad 2 and iPad 3 don't have built-in GPS, but as far as Android tablets go, even some of the $150 Chinese tablets have GPS built in. and just about everything from the Archos G9 and up do too.

tino

Banned

i mean, i know the Kindle Fire, Nook Color, Nook Tablet and Wifi iPad, iPad 2 and iPad 3 don't have built-in GPS, but as far as Android tablets go, even some of the $150 Chinese tablets have GPS built in. and just about everything from the Archos G9 and up do too.

As far as I know, only 3G versions of the Android tablets (Galaxy Tab Xoom SpringBoard Flyer) have GPS function.

kehs

Banned
Not back for more than 10 mins, and already back to pimpin the PadFone. Classic CoCo :)

I've seen every italian video about it posted on yt for the past two months.

(I'm not even joking)

Mindshare I suppose.

jokkir

Can someone recommend their favourite apps for their Android and why? I know there's an "Apps for Android" thread on Off-Topic but I tried most of them (some I kept, some I uninstalled) and want to try out more, hidden apps.

I love my phone but I barely have any apps installed :(

Can someone recommend their favourite apps for their Android and why? I know there's an "Apps for Android" thread on Off-Topic but I tried most of them (some I kept, some I uninstalled) and want to try out more, hidden apps.

I love my phone but I barely have any apps installed :(

4square - Checking in to places has a certain novelty to it, and sometimes you get stuff for checking in at certain places

TTC Transit Now - Can track buses by GPS and get schedules quickly

Google Maps and Navigation - Self Explanatory

Score Mobile - Sports scores, awesome app

Taptu - Can get news from tons of sources

Yelp - Reviews of places

Poynt - Find out where stuff is

Cineplex - Movie stuff

Zedge - ringtones and wallpapers of alllll sorts

TuneIn radio - Very very good

Angry Birds, Draw Something :p

wario

blurry leak of the upcoming sony flagship hayabusa lt29i now called the Xperia GX

should be released this july.

221411hffqoeqjghhfhx7r.jpg

rumored specs i got from another forum:

-roughly 7mm thick
-ICS
-1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU
-4.55" 720 x 1280
-1gb ram
-16gb internal memory
-13MP camera
-1700 mAh battery
-lte
-nfc

Al-ibn Kermit

Was wondering if that might happen.
I'm gonna put my tin foil hat on for a second.

Wonder if Apple paid Samsung for some exclusivity in the quad chip for use in the next iPhone.

I could be way wrong too. lol

Doesn't each iPhone just use a lower clocked version of the previous iPad's processor? So the next iPhone would be using the A5X chip which has a dual-core CPU and quad-core GPU.

Although that extra GPU power really isn't needed if they're keeping the same resolution, I would think. And it would be pretty hard to increase the screen size/resolution if they want to keep 1:1 pixel ratio. It's pretty hard to imagine what they want to do with the next iPhone, their options are limited but they need to change something major two years after the iPhone 4.

rozay

Banned
blurry leak of the upcoming sony flagship hayabusa lt29i now called the Xperia GX

should be released this july.

221411hffqoeqjghhfhx7r.jpg

rumored specs i got from another forum:

-roughly 7mm thick
-ICS
-1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU
-4.55" 720 x 1280
-1gb ram
-16gb internal memory
-13MP camera
-1700 mAh battery
-lte
-nfc
Are those on screen buttons in that shot?

As far as I know, only 3G versions of the Android tablets (Galaxy Tab Xoom SpringBoard Flyer) have GPS function.

dunno about the Flyer offhand, but the Galaxy Tabs and Xoom Wifi have GPS.

edit: Flyer has GPS and i can only find info on Wifi/Cell SpringBoard, which also has GPS.

seriously, including GPS hardware is not that expensive, only Amazon cuts corners like that, even the Nook Tablet and Nook Color apparenrtly have GPS hardware built in on a multipurpose chip, just no antenna connected and no firmware/driver support so they're unusable.

seriously, even $140 DealExtreme resistive touchscreen 4GB/256MB/7"/800*480/650MHz tablets have GPS HW built in.

tino

Banned
WiFi Galaxy Tab has no GPS, you can take my word for it. I had a Galaxy Tab. My understanding is that the hardware gps module is inside the radio component. Thats why only the 3G iPad has GPS.

Anyway i am bored of this topic. Who want to use a 10 tablet for navigation anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom