• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

Can't speak for the Ion, and I'm gonna sound totally pretentious but it's the smaller details - there's something really slick and minimal about the Xperia S. No rounded corners, that bar across the bottom which is transparent and lights up really softly, the matte finish and how the screen seems to disappear into the casing when it's off. I fucking love this phone. Switched from my iphone 4 (which I loved - the bf is getting that one) but the geek in me is loving Android. It's far less clunky than I've been led to believe - it's not even ICS yet either :p

At first glance you think "like the iphone4" but the more you look , the fine details emerge and it really looks slick. But i like round corners :( . Galaxy Nexus ist still one of the sexiest for me. One S is a bit bland but also nice.

tino

Banned
Serious question, how is this design out of the park? It's a big black rectangle that looks almost exactly like my AT&T Galaxy S2.

Maybe because it has better looking font? I don't know why people go gaga over Sony phone.

Also, uniform panel gap. (Don't laugh, VW drivers are big on this.)

But Snapdragon S3 and not launch with ICS, so 2011.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
At first glance you think "like the iphone4" but the more you look , the fine details emerge and it really looks slick. But i like round corners :( . Galaxy Nexus ist still one of the sexiest for me. One S is a bit bland but also nice.
I dunno, it caught my eye immediately. It's very Sony - the matte finish, plus the edges are definitely sharper and corners smaller than the iPhone 4. Very monolithic :p Certainly never thought I'd drop my i4 for an Android phone, let alone a Sony but... here we are. It's great.

One S looks like the earlier HTC's to me - the sharper edges of the X look far nicer. I like the curved-back design of the Nexus, but I love minimal designs (or anything angular) so the Sony designs win out for me. Plus that sharp little multicolour LED up the top left reminds me of the PS2. *swoon*

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
samsung-galaxy-s3.jpg

We've averaged at least one Galaxy S3 rumor or leak per day over the past week, and it's a trend that shows no sign of stopping. Today UK blogs PhoneArena and KnowYourMobile both received a new photo purporting to show the Samsung Galaxy S3, and from what we can tell of the (admittedly grainy) image, it's a very close match to what we've seen in earlier leaks. The rounded edges closely resemble the outline in a teaser image by Samsung Denmark, and the device chassis itself is a dead ringer for a purported manual sketch that cropped up yesterday.

The inclusion of physical buttons is the most interesting thing we can glean from this latest image -- if this is indeed the final Galaxy S3 design, then it seems earlier plans to go buttonless were abandoned. And it's also worth noting the extremely thin bezel between the screen and the edge of the device -- Samsung seems to have shaved a few millimeters off this space compared to the Galaxy Nexus.

With the clock ticking down to the May 3 announcement event in London, it's possible we'll see even more leaks and speculation in the days ahead. Keep it locked to AC for all the latest.

Galaxy Nexus DNA evident? If this isn't fake, it looks like a 4.8" screen...which would make it .2" less than the Streak

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony...or-quad-core-LT30i-pegged-for-October_id29558

Not sure what the make of the last part, LT30i specs seem too good to be true:

"As far as that expensive Mint I phone we were wondering about in the leaked 2012 Sony roadmap, the source now says there will be something arriving in October coded as the LT30i, which is to be Sony's first quad-core handset with an OLED display, fruit of its partnership with AUO on 4.3" AMOLEDs."

A quad core Sony after they had already said that they aren't interested in quad core would be welcome. It would also be amazing for Sony to have gone from single core to quad core in a year (Arc S to this rumoured LT30i).

SimleuqiR

Samsung Ends Nokia’s 14-Year Run as Biggest Handset Maker

Samsung shipped 93.5 million handsets in the first quarter, 36 percent more than a year earlier, compared with 82.7 million for second-ranked Nokia, researcher Strategy Analytics said in a statement today. Demand for Galaxy smartphones helped Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung post first-quarter net income today of 5.05 trillion won ($4.5 billion), beating analysts’ estimates.

I guess Android has been good to Samsung.

tino

Banned
Exynos didn't support LTE at the time, and Google was smart enough to avoid Qualcomm. What other options were there then?

If Google put a Qualcomm chip in Galaxy Nexus, the ICS adaptation would have been a lot higher now. So far I have not seen a US-bound smartphone announced this year not have a Snapdragon inside.

OMAP was/is clearly a less popular option.

Donos

damn, Nexus is already selling for cheap here. Today a big retailer (Media Markt) sold unlocked/no contract GSM Nexus for 299€ . I almost bit.

Doubt that's the final version.

Looks the same like in the "leaked" manual. Wouldn't suprise me since i thought that the middle "home" button was a big deal to galaxy (not nexus) owners and that they rather keep it.
I would also welcome the more rounded form in comparison to the GSII.
Interest rising. Now show me a drastically changed Touchwiz (more ICS'ish) and i'm in.

ooooh, Apex Launcher now has a Pro version!

Apex Launcher Pro comes with all the goodies from the free version, like a customizable grid, scrollable dock, transition

effects, and locking the desktop. The Pro app fills in some of the gaps with features including:
Multiple configurable drawer tabs
Unread count notifications
Dock swipe gestures
Two finger gestures
More transition effects
Batch add option for folders
Option to merge folder contents
Widgets in dock (1x1 only)
Overlapping widgets
More features on the way!

tino

Banned
What's difference between ADW and Apex launcher.

BTW I tried out go launcher recently (because it has an awesome meego theme), it seem to use less resource than ADW.

Ok, so I've already stated that I'm due for an upgrade in May through Sprint. I believe it's $150 off of a phone. That said, the retail price for the Evo LTE is 199.99, right? I spoke to a sprint representative today about preordering and whatnot, told him I'm due for upgrade, and he went on to say that MY price for the phone would still be 199.99. Is this correct and I'm just not understanding or what?

Toki767

Ok, so I've already stated that I'm due for an upgrade in May through Sprint. I believe it's $150 off of a phone. That said, the retail price for the Evo LTE is 199.99, right? I spoke to a sprint representative today about preordering and whatnot, told him I'm due for upgrade, and he went on to say that MY price for the phone would still be 199.99. Is this correct and I'm just not understanding or what?

Sprint gives you $150 off any phone whenever you upgrade? Wish I knew that before signing with AT&T.

damn, Nexus is already selling for cheap here. Today a big retailer (Media Markt) sold unlocked/no contract GSM Nexus for 299€ . I almost bit.

Looks the same like in the "leaked" manual. Wouldn't suprise me since i thought that the middle "home" button was a big deal to galaxy (not nexus) owners and that they rather keep it.
I would also welcome the more rounded form in comparison to the GSII.
Interest rising. Now show me a drastically changed Touchwiz (more ICS'ish) and i'm in.

I would've 100% bit for that prie. I wish someone in the UK would sell it that cheaply.

kehs

Banned

Carriers have two prices for phones. New customers and renewing customers.

New customers get handjobs, and renewing customers get a kick in the ass.

(Just threaten to move to another carrier, they'll bend over real quick.)

Carriers have two prices for phones. New customers and renewing customers.

New customers get handjobs, and renewing customers get a kick in the ass.

(Just threaten to move to another carrier, they'll bend over real quick.)

Ahhh...now I'm in the know. Thanks for the info, and I will be doing this without a doubt.

Is anybody having trouble with their Gmail app? for the past few weeks I have stopped getting notifications and have to manually refresh to get new incoming mail. This seems to stop me sending out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom