• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

not sure if serious, those capacitive lights turn off when you are not interacting with it on default settings usually

If they give capacitive buttons that will be great. I'm hoping they do. I just didn't see anything mentioned about them in that article, The dual partition stuff also sounds cool.

wilflare

is there a forum where we can report bugs or provide suggestions for Google/Android?
Google Product Forums or Google+ Communities?

ArchAngel

Don't know if true, but the bezels could be worse.

AycidkW.jpg

Don't know if true, but the bezels could be worse.

AycidkW.jpg

I knew based on the leaked dimensions and mocks that the bezels would be a small improvement over my 5x so I'm happy. The 5x has a pretty large chin.

is there a forum where we can report bugs or provide suggestions for Google/Android?
Google Product Forums or Google+ Communities?

If you have a bug in the android os you are supposed to post it on the official android bug tracker. If you have an app bug or device issue you are supposed to post it on the appropriate google product forum.

There is some google plus communities that google participates in but they are for helping android devs and not user issues.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm beginning to loose my cool with my phone and Android in general. Got a new bank card for Android pay since my old one just stopped working and neither google or my bank couldn't tell me why and the new one worked fine...untill today where oh look it's not accepted anymore.

This on top of my account being fucked up, the 2.5D screen on this OP3, the amount of redirecting ads lately on here and XDA taking me to random sites advertising sites over and over and the chrome jank is really pissing me off.

I know most of this isn't the OP3' fault but I'm associating the issues with the phone too much and I've frankly had enough....

/Rant

Get an ad blocker dude

I'm rooted so I don't use phone payment and honestly I don't get what the hype is about that stuff

There are good screen protectors out there for phones with 2.5D glass just gotta find them

Saiyan-Rox

Get an ad blocker dude

I'm rooted so I don't use phone payment and honestly I don't get what the hype is about that stuff

There are good screen protectors out there for phones with 2.5D glass just gotta find them

I used to root all the time for just as blocking but stopped due to the hassle from rooting and ota it's just annoying. And since my bank doesnt do contactless for my account this is the only way I can and it's handy (when it works) plus a lot safer than contractless on the actual card.

As for the screen protectors there's only 1 good one for the OP3 and that's one that OP themselves sell but it's always OOS and costs £18 I had one in my phone but it got wrecked trying to get the rhino shield case on which I'm returning. All the other tempered glass on the OO3 either doesnt fully fit or fully fit but isn't sticky on the screen so you get this massive rainbow blob.

I'm just sick really of things not working properly lately :(

The jank with chrome on XDA is infuriating go to tap a link and wham it moves up or down and I tap something else...grrr

I'm beginning to loose my cool with my phone and Android in general. Got a new bank card for Android pay since my old one just stopped working and neither google or my bank couldn't tell me why and the new one worked fine...untill today where oh look it's not accepted anymore.

This on top of my account being fucked up, the 2.5D screen on this OP3, the amount of redirecting ads lately on here and XDA taking me to random sites advertising sites over and over and the chrome jank is really pissing me off.

I know most of this isn't the OP3' fault but I'm associating the issues with the phone too much and I've frankly had enough....

/Rant

Tried using the Axon 7 without root and web browsing without an ad blocker is almost impossible. Not sure how people do it, but recently saw a friend's phone with a shitload of adware on it. Probably from those ads.

RuGalz

I used to root all the time for just as blocking but stopped due to the hassle from rooting and ota it's just annoying. And since my bank doesnt do contactless for my account this is the only way I can and it's handy (when it works) plus a lot safer than contractless on the actual card.

why do you have to root to block ads?

Saiyan-Rox

Tried using the Axon 7 without root and web browsing without an ad blocker is almost impossible. Not sure how people do it, but recently saw a friend's phone with a shitload of adware on it. Probably from those ads.

why do you have to root to block ads?

Doesn't ad blocking require root access for the host files?

also makes you ask the question what is going on with ads on the internet? they're becoming more and more in your face which is making more and more people want to block them :/ especially when they redirect you without even clicking them to some BS site full of adware and shit.

Wow...so a leaked insecure Sprint Galaxy Note 7 firmware has resulted in all North American Note 7's having a viable permanent root method.

Too bad they explode and have edge screens otherwise I would be all over this shit.

Only if you want whole-device ad blocking and only on browsers which don't support ad blocker plugins like Chrome.

wilflare

/Rant

same here. the chrome jank is really annoying me. maybe I'll go back to a CAF browser again (this time Tugapower)

You may wanna try going into chrome flags and enable scroll anchoring and see if it fixes things for you on XDA

as for rooting - try using chainfire's suhide - you can hide your root and still have Android Pay

also makes you ask the question what is going on with ads on the internet? they're becoming more and more in your face which is making more and more people want to block them :/ especially when they redirect you without even clicking them to some BS site full of adware and shit.

I think Firefox supports add ons like ad blocker on mobile. Ads are really abrasive nowadays. Music, sound, exit buttons that move around, fake exit buttons, etc.

That thing works by setting up a virtual VPN in your phone which is like the worst possible method I can think of, especially if you actually use a VPN for a real purpose on your phone like I do. It also slows the phone down a lot because it sits there and filters all traffic through this virtual VPN. I tried it before during a very short period of time when I owned a retail Verizon Note 4 and it was like the clunkiest, kludgiest thing ever.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Is there a way to turn autocorrect off for specific applications? I want to do some coding on my tablet but the constant autocorrecting makes it a pain in the ass. Android 5.0 and SwiftKey.

Adding a VPN to the mix isn't a good idea imo seems like more trouble than rooting and using ad away

I dunno maybe I will just unlock my bootloader and root....

You should. It's incredibly easy on the OP3. There are even methods to use to make android pay continue to work as well.

Saiyan-Rox

You should. It's incredibly easy on the OP3. There are even methods to use to make android pay continue to work as well.

Android Pay no longer applies to me :( stupid fucking bank and or Google.

Gonna look up on it now? it's been years since I rooted I though TWRP could do it but apparently not.

getting ads sorted out is at least one thing but the rest of the issues are still there.

Idk I just don't think I have it in me to deal with all this anymore, just fed up...may sell the OP3 tbh

RuGalz

That thing works by setting up a virtual VPN in your phone which is like the worst possible method I can think of, especially if you actually use a VPN for a real purpose on your phone like I do. It also slows the phone down a lot because it sits there and filters all traffic through this virtual VPN. I tried it before during a very short period of time when I owned a retail Verizon Note 4 and it was like the clunkiest, kludgiest thing ever.

Shrug, off or on the speed doesn't feel any different on my N5 and I don't have to manage 5 different family members' phones and 4 of my devices every time there's a OTA update. Android virtual VPN is fairly lightweight. Unless these guys are so incompetent in writing filtering code, there's no reason why it would slow your device down much if at all with modern cpu power.

Adding a VPN to the mix isn't a good idea imo seems like more trouble than rooting and using ad away

I dunno maybe I will just unlock my bootloader and root....

Up to you. For me, the ease of use and maintenance is good enough reason -- I don't have to think about a thing while you are sitting here researching how to root your phone every time you get a new phone. As mentioned above, Android's virtual VPN interface is pretty lightweight, loading a page takes way more cpu time than the VPN filtering mechanism.

Gonna look up on it now? it's been years since I rooted I though TWRP could do it but apparently not.

getting ads sorted out is at least one thing but the rest of the issues are still there.

Idk I just don't think I have it in me to deal with all this anymore, just fed up...may sell the OP3 tbh

Your only other option is iPhone and you'll still get ads there too, sooo...

MarkusRJR

So my LG G4 bootlooped for the second time. This time it's out of warranty (first boot loop was 2 months ago and literally days before the warranty ended). Not sure what to do. I'm using my old Moto G 2nd gen but it keeps freezing and can't play music (RAM keeps clearing any music apps after 10-20 minutes). It's borderline unusable.

Are there any good sub-$200 CAD (Canadian Dollar) unlocked phones? Literally my only requirements is decent battery life, decent performance (no constant app closes) and being able to play Pokemon Go.

So far the only decent options I've seen are the Samsung J3 (16gb, 1.5gb RAM, $215), Acer Liquid Z630 (16gb, 2gb RAM, $200), Blu Vivo XL (16gb, 2gb RAM, $207), and Blu Vivo XL (32gb, 3gb RAM, $270). There's such shitty phone selection in the budget range. I would buy a Moto G4, but the only option is the Plus and it's priced at $450 (way more than the exchange rate would have it at).

Saiyan-Rox

Your only other option is iPhone and you'll still get ads there too, sooo...

Or windows phone (lulz) doesnt it have a blocking in the web browser now? Tbh all the issues I'm having would make me move to there not just ads.

But I dunno maybe just sell it for another droid or something...but then again i don't really have the money atm with my dogs medical bills.

For what a flip phone?

Or windows phone (lulz) doesnt it have a blocking in the web browser now? Tbh all the issues I'm having would make me move to there not just ads.

But I dunno maybe just sell it for another droid or something...but then again i don't really have the money atm with my dogs medical bills.

iPhones have their own issues too. Just iPhone users don't make a big deal out of them for the most part. There are a shitload of bugs with iOS 10.

Wow...so a leaked insecure Sprint Galaxy Note 7 firmware has resulted in all North American Note 7's having a viable permanent root method.

Too bad they explode and have edge screens otherwise I would be all over this shit.

new ones drop this week.

allegedly...

and isn't that the same way the Snap S7/S7E got rooted?

If Android Pay doesn't work it's always the bank's fault, see Chase up until recently

Furyous

Any news on Daydream? Hopefully Google releases some device that fits devices that don't meet the spec but want in on Daydream. I have a hard time believing Google abandons 200 million+ smartphone owners due to not having the latest spec.

Quasar

Any news on Daydream? Hopefully Google releases some device that fits devices that don't meet the spec but want in on Daydream. I have a hard time believing Google abandons 200 million+ smartphone owners due to not having the latest spec.

Well that's the only way if you don't want the standard ruined by shithouse phones.

I actually thought Google was going to bring out a headset for daydream that was standalone. Dunno if that's still happening.

Top Bottom