• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

teiresias

holy shit. for people that travel, Get a QC3.0 battery pack that also can be quickcharged.

Sooo good.

Got this for $50 during a kinja deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVMXW7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Can I use a Type-C to micro USB adapter until I get a phone with a Type C port, I can't imagine why not (so long as not plugging into the AC port), but figured I'd ask.

If so, any recommendations for a reliable C to Micro cable?

EDIT: Seems some of the reviews say it comes with an adapter.

Jeffrey

so this has USB-C input and output charging?

Can I use a Type-C to micro USB adapter until I get a phone with a Type C port, I can't imagine why not (so long as not plugging into the AC port), but figured I'd ask.

If so, any recommendations for a reliable C to Micro cable?

EDIT: Seems some of the reviews say it comes with an adapter.

its worded a bit strange but basically:

you charge it with a normal ass microusb cable (provided). works with a quickcharge adapter (provided).

- it can charge type-c fast charging ala 6P,
- it also got a QC3.0 usb port and a normal 2.1a usb port.

it comes with a 2 miniusb cables, a qc3.0 a/c charger, and a miniusb to usb-c adapter.

Any news on Daydream? Hopefully Google releases some device that fits devices that don't meet the spec but want in on Daydream. I have a hard time believing Google abandons 200 million+ smartphone owners due to not having the latest spec.

They are apparently launching their reference Daydream headset on October 4th, along with the Pixel phones, a 4K Chromecast, and Google Home.

wilflare

Anyone cares about their personal data on the phone shouldn't be rooting anyway. At least with virtual VPN, without you giving it a certificate, you still have a bit of protection on https connection...

rooting is really useful though
Titanium Backup
Nova Launcher quirks, etc.

rc213

Axon 7 second update is out, Grabbing it in SoCal 364mb

Hello Z-Community Members,

Over the next 24 to 72 hours, you can expect our 2nd software update to the Axon 7 (A2017U). This update will bring your device to the latest build, B27. As mentioned in the last month, your Mod Squad has been busy this past month both prioritizing and pushing fixes to some of the most common issues our community has reported. Although our efforts are still young, please trust that we will remain aggressively dedicated to the quality of future updates. This includes updates to the notification bell, further camera enhancements, Android Nougat, and much more!

Here are the latest updates you will see on B27 (coming from the previous build, B20):
1. Group text messaging feature added
2. Android security patches updated through September 1st, including the infamous Qualcomm Quadrooter flaws
3. RF performance and signal bar indicator optimization
4. New "Fast battery drain apps" feature to identify apps that are sucking the most battery
5. Overall battery life optimization
6. Camera improvements, including general focus enhancements
7. Numerous minor enhancements and bug fixes

Note: This is an over-the-air (OTA) update. To check availability of an update, click on "Settings -> Updates."

RuGalz

rooting is really useful though
Titanium Backup
Nova Launcher quirks, etc.

Not useful enough for me to give my house key to a stranger.

Using custom roms is potentially high risk as well, hence the only one I kind of trust is the official CyanogenMod -- not the unofficial ones, and especially not the ones where the author not releasing their sources. I used to build my own so I can monitor the changes but it became too much of a time sink. The Chinese phones that contained spyware reported by a German security company hid it in the Google Play services for example.

Seriously, even if the original app has no intendion to do harm, you can't tell if someone has modified it on the way to you. It's even worse for the apps not from the play store (i.e. adaway). In the days where my phone has my credit card info, bank info, I can't afford to be careless. I'm amazed that so many people are willing to trust things they download from the internet so easily.

Using custom roms is potentially high risk as well, hence the only one I kind of trust is the official CyanogenMod -- not the unofficial ones, and especially not the ones where the author not releasing their sources. I used to build my own so I can monitor the changes but it became too much of a time sink. The Chinese phones that contained spyware reported by a German security company hid it in the Google Play services for example.

Seriously, even if the original app has no intendion to do harm, you can't tell if someone has modified it on the way to you. It's even worse for the apps not from the play store (i.e. adaway). In the days where my phone has my credit card info, bank info, I can't afford to be careless. I'm amazed that so many people are willing to trust things they download from the internet so easily.

You probably shouldn't use Windows then. Better switch only to Linux builds you compiled yourself.

Right using Windows totally equates to willingly give app full access to everything you have.

LMAO do you realize what happens every time you grant any program on Windows full administrator privileges at the UAC permissions dialog which takes up the whole screen before you approve an install of any kind?

I'll give you a hint: You're giving an app on Windows full access to everything you have.

Also by default every Windows primary user account is still flagged as Administrator, in case you didn't realize. Windows still fucks up too much when accounts are not Admins for it to default to non-Admin status for home users.

wilflare

It just has more features. According to every girl I've dated they hate texting people with green bubbles

I really hope Allo would be Google's iMessage but lol

I'm actually considering flashing ElementalX to see if it does anything for my SOT

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have risen to introduce Allo this week and forgive those who doubted the death of 3.5mm.

OG Kush

Anyone cares about their personal data on the phone shouldn't be rooting anyway. At least with virtual VPN, without you giving it a certificate, you still have a bit of protection on https connection...

Can you go into more detail why rooting is bad?

Also anyone know what the likelihood of the new nexus phones having SD card slot is? Wondering whether to wait or just get the S7 now.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have risen to introduce Allo this week and forgive those who doubted the death of 3.5mm.

Oh sweet summer b-boy, the death of good sound quality, the introduction of overpriced accessories and the slow decline of Apple was never in doubt. Only its validity and longevity.

Coincidentally, longevity for Allo: also very much in doubt.

Saiyan-Rox

"New "Fast battery drain apps" feature to identify apps that are sucking the most battery"

What is it with Chinese software having this addition? I don't think any other software does? they added it to the community builds on the OP3 and it's really fricken annoying! it goes off about apps and when you tap it the list is empty.

No Love

Banned
"New "Fast battery drain apps" feature to identify apps that are sucking the most battery"

What is it with Chinese software having this addition? I don't think any other software does? they added it to the community builds on the OP3 and it's really fricken annoying! it goes off about apps and when you tap it the list is empty.

It was in the last update already. You can turn off the fast drain notifications.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I suspect Allo drops on Wednesday. I'm hearing sms rumors and tablet development. Cool. I haven't been this hyped since Hangouts. I can't believe that was three years ago.

one still comes in every box

the audio quality of lightning is shit compared to 3.5mm

we already know BT sounds worse too

only people winning are stockholders
People don't care about quality as long as it's good enough and the new solution is more convenient. Wireless in two years will be standard.

RuGalz

I'll give you a hint: You're giving an app on Windows full access to everything you have.

And every time you use that sudo command you are giving an app elevated privileges. Do you randomly, willingly click on an attachment sent to you in email as well? Pop up ads? You feel pretty safe downloading an app from random, online source and just run with it without any sort of anti malware on the system too right? It's up to the user to decide what the cut off point is but plenty of people don't think of the side effects of running rooted applications.

Can you go into more detail why rooting is bad?

The problem is when you give an app root access, it basically has permission to do whatever it wants on the phone. It's like inviting a stranger to watch your home and hope nothing happens -- maybe nothing will happen or maybe you won't be so lucky. That's why if you absolutely want to run an app that needs root access, only get it from trusted sources in order to mitigate the issue. Play store is most secure but even then, malware gets through sometimes. Any other hosting site can be hacked. If you are familiar with Windows, there's a popular app called "Classic Shell" -- basically a Windows start menu replacement software. Recently there was an incident that someone hacked into the hosting site and injected malware into the installer so a lot of people got boned downloading it. Nothing is absolutely safe but it's better to stay on the safer side imo.

Any signs of improved signals?

I suspect Allo drops on Wednesday. I'm hearing sms rumors and tablet development. Cool. I haven't been this hyped since Hangouts. I can't believe that was three years ago.

Isn't that sms rumor just from some kid on Google+ who has a friend testing the app?

Or did you hear a different one?

Bboy AJ

and what happens when the old solution was more convenient?
Never encountered this issue.

Isn't that sms rumor just from some kid on Google+ who has a friend testing the app?

Or did you hear a different one?
> Tablet support (for Duo) is in the works!

> I was told it'll (Duo tablet support) work like how Allo will work: number + Google account. If you don't have a number (SIM), it'll automatically redirect you to sign-in with your Google account.

> SMS is present in one of the test builds, so most likely it'll launch with it. 

check the comments - when asked "+Derek Ross can you confirm that Allo will replace Messenger?" he replied "+Nick Vitone​ I can confirm that I rarely use Messenger, that I hate Hangouts with a passion, and I've been very happy the last two and a half months"

tzare

Never encountered this issue.

> I was told it'll (Duo tablet support) work like how Allo will work: number + Google account. If you don't have a number (SIM), it'll automatically redirect you to sign-in with your Google account.

> SMS is present in one of the test builds, so most likely it'll launch with it. 

check the comments - when asked "+Derek Ross can you confirm that Allo will replace Messenger?" he replied "+Nick Vitone​ I can confirm that I rarely use Messenger, that I hate Hangouts with a passion, and I've been very happy the last two and a half months"

Allo needs to have google account login from day one,so you can use it from PC or other devices. Otherwise people will keep using Hangouts and whatsapp.
They also should add some kind of shortcut that launches Duo if yoy what to have video chat.If done right they may have a chance, sespite being sooo late to the party
They also need to have a shortcut

* Wifi is draining battery!
[ ] Turn off WIfi.

brilliant!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hopefully we get a Google announcement this week for the fucking Nexus event.

giphy.gif

I want to believe.

What is there spec wise similar (maybe just not quite as good) to a Nexus 6P but isn't massive?

I have small hands and the switch to a phablet has been a poor choice for me, it's been a year now and I just want to go back to phone that i can hold with one hand when I'm out with the dog and what not.

I had a look at the oneplus3 but it's still quite big, iphone size is perfect but they are all too expensive and I'm enjoying android at the moment so don't really want to switch.

Samsung is out of the question due to price mostly and the phones just don't look nice to me.

Mindwipe

What is there spec wise similar (maybe just not quite as good) to a Nexus 6P but isn't massive?

I have small hands and the switch to a phablet has been a poor choice for me, it's been a year now and I just want to go back to phone that i can hold with one hand when I'm out with the dog and what not.

I had a look at the oneplus3 but it's still quite big, iphone size is perfect but they are all too expensive and I'm enjoying android at the moment so don't really want to switch.

Samsung is out of the question due to price mostly and the phones just don't look nice to me.

Wait for the new Pixel 5 for the most part. Probably announced on the 4th October.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Bloomberg report blames Note 7 fiasco on rush to beat Apple

According to the report, in early 2016 Samsung’s leadership saw an opportunity to outshine Apple. Samsung brass, led by the newly installed CEO DJ Koh, realized that the iPhone 7 wouldn’t bring any significant innovations or even a redesign, and decided to pull all stops in developing the Galaxy Note 7. That included packing the device with new features like the iris scanner, increasing battery capacity up to 3,500 mAh, and accelerating the release schedule, so the Note 7 would hit the market well ahead of the iPhone 7.

When Samsung became aware that Apple didn’t plan any major design changes, the Korean executives saw an opportunity. After a select group of top managers got their hands on early versions of the Note, they gushed over the upgrades and praised each other’s work, according to one of the people. If Apple wasn’t going to offer consumers anything exciting, Samsung certainly would.

Haste makes waste brehs

Toki767

I have the strangest feeling Google is going to screw up Allo by not attaching it to Gmail/Inbox or having a desktop/browser version.

Brandwin

Anyone have any idea why I am having this issue?

Last week when my wife would send me a group message, I would receive a kickback to just our thread that says “”Couldn’t download” we have been using group messages forever. I could see the other peoples message, they could see my wifes and mine and my wife can see mine and theirs, but I couldn’t get my wifes messages. I eventually had her switch from stock Android messenger and download Google Messenger and I started getting her messages in group message again.

So today I text a friend, who has stock android message app and another friend. When one of my friends replied back, it came back as the same message “Couldn’t download”, same situation, only came to my thread as the error. Anyone have an idea why?

Really weird this started out of nowhere. I know my wife got an update the other day. Maybe android stock messenger isn't playing nice with google messenger?

EDIT: I just had two co-workers text me, one is iphone and the other is a Galaxy S5, stock messenger, and I got both messages. I don't know what is going on. So weird.

EDIT: Downloaded Textra and had no issues receiving those texts. So something isn't playing right with Google messenger.

Top Bottom