• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

bullbutt.gif

sigh

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ALLO IS OUT. PM VANILLALITE FOR A GROUP CHAT INVITE

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/21/12996170/google-allo-review-assistant-messaging-chat-app

It's pretty nice. Also, this is cool:

If your contact doesn’t have the app installed, one of two things happen. Both are actually kind of interesting.

If they’re on an iPhone, they’ll receive an SMS with your name, the contents of your message, and a link to download the app. They can then download it or — if they want — just reply via SMS. Google has set up a full SMS relay so that your recalcitrant friends can avoid installing it at all if they don't want to.

If they’re on an Android phone, something new and intriguing happens. Google is calling it an "app preview notification," and basically it shoots a notification directly to your Android device instead of going through SMS. Your friend will get a notification that looks and acts almost as if they had the app installed in the first place, message content and all. It means they won’t incur any SMS fees, either. Your recipient can reply within the notification, or tap on it to install the app.

kharma45

Allo is an SMS relay service then? It sends your message from a different number and tells you contact it's you. Haha. Never mind being a nail in the coffin, this is throwing dirt onto it when it's already been lowered into the ground.

Lay people aren't going to buy into this. Random number texting you saying it's someone you know. Sounds like a great idea.

so for those wondering when the Note 7 would be available for sale again...

*smh* LOL *smh*

Right on the heels of the announcement that 500,000 brand new Galaxy Note 7s have arrived in the U.S. for customer exchanges, Verizon and Sprint have started offering up the new phones for sale. Verizon's page places a larage notice on the product page indicating that these are new "safe" units, while Sprint simply picked up where it left off with no notice.

http://www.androidcentral.com/us-carriers-start-selling-galaxy-note-7-post-recall

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
.@RonAmadeo: By the way if you activate on another device, you lose your name, profile picture, chats, and contacts.

Saiyan-Rox

Allo not out here yet either.

Someone wants to shoot me an invite to the group one that would be ace. I'll use it when it's eventually live.

Jzero

Were we supposed to use our full name or just our first name for our Allo profile?

Wait, it doesn't do SMS? So that means both people need the app?

DOA

Toki767

I think I'll wait until next year's Google I/O before installing Allo.

They'll probably just show off another messaging app then anyway once this one fails to take off.

Saiyan-Rox

Looking at the Allo thread I didnt know so many people abandoned sms ages ago...I've never used WhatsApp and stick to SMS with the odd FB messenger for pictures.

So SMS can be sent via this completely fine right?

Groof

Allo is a lot better than hangouts was at launch but this is just a few years too late. Other chat apps do what this does and much more. I'd like to me proven wrong but this is probably going to die off very soon.

Shame cus it's a nice looking app

Toki767

Allo is a lot better than hangouts was at launch but this is just a few years too late. Other chat apps do what this does and much more. I'd like to me proven wrong but this is probably going to die off very soon.

I still don't see why they couldn't just include the Google Assistant on Hangouts.

The biggest market seems to be in the US, where none of the other messaging platforms seem to have established themselves for whatever reason. If they can crack that first, they might be happy.

Mindwipe

Allo not even doing cloud backup of it's own messages is one of those things that makes me think Google needs some people in it's management team clearing out.

It's just insanely shit.

Saiyan-Rox

Okay just read about the sms support and the deavtivating if your number along with loosing your name when you use it on another phone...yeah I'm out.

Mindwipe

Looking at the Allo thread I didnt know so many people abandoned sms ages ago...I've never used WhatsApp and stick to SMS with the odd FB messenger for pictures.

No. They'll get it as a shitty message from a random number rather than you.

Groof

i can promise you all Allo started as just the assistant chat for google search or something like that and then midway through they were like oh we could probably make a chat app out of this

If you're American SMS is alive and well actually.

Also still not up for me, is the apk safe?

Saiyan-Rox

If you're American SMS is alive and well actually.

Seems here it's not as active as I thought....I feel old.

it;s boggling my mind why Google always misses with these apps...loosing your stuff when upgrading to a new phone is stupid...using a proxy number for SMS is stupid....grrrrr

tzare

OK i didn't have much faith with Allo but now this just confirms it is not worth at all. It won't steal users from Whatsapp/telegram in Euroland, and it doesn't seem to have a desktop client or a way to use it simultaneously like Hangouts... so i'm out.
They just could link it to Hangouts account if you wish, and merge both, but man, as clever as sometimes some Google products and services are, i wonder how making a messaging app is such a hard thing for them.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Does anyone knows what's the most popular messaging app in Canada? I'm guessing it's Messenger but I have no idea.

Note 7 update is rolling out, updating my phone right now.

Allo and Duo are trash.

<3 Hangouts

Don't lie. You hate hangouts.

Allo already connects your Google account so it's only a matter time until it adds multidevice support and backups.

Then, it will be much better than Hangouts. Hangouts still performs like shit after all this time.

yyzjohn

Banned
Don't lie. You hate hangouts.

Allo already connects your Google account so it's only a matter time until it adds multidevice support and backups.

Then, it will be much better than Hangouts. Hangouts still performs like shit after all this time.

As a daily Hangouts user that uses it on the phone, tablet and laptop, without any loss of message history I be like this today:

1761304eeaa480302d3f505c1aac7bc3.jpg

Top Bottom