• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I have had a lot of emotions and ups and downs today. I went from buying a Pixel XL, to buying an iPhone 7 plus, back to buying a Pixel XL again. I just have to wait until October 4th to decide. I hate iOS and I'm pissed at the headphone jack being gone, yet the camera and battery life is soooo good. FML. First world problems.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
screenshot_2016-09-191ml30.png

Jeffrey

anyone mess with project fi?

I'm interested in their 'free' international roaming.

thinking of doing some travels to europe, wonder if its worth snagging a cheap 5x in a few months.

You're pretty excited for someone that says they are going to pass.

thinking of doing some travels to europe, wonder if its worth snagging a cheap 5x in a few months.

I haven't traveled out of the country with mine. When my sister went to Mexico with it she said it was awesome and better service/cheaper than anyone else on her trip. She was with a huge wedding party.

Jeffrey

iOS is fine. their implementation of a 'back' button makes more sense than android which every app maker decides something different.

home screen is still trash though and its annoying as heck to setup. Even knockoff chinese android roms figured out better ways.

And they really should be less stubborn and just rip off android multitasking completely, you get way more info scrolling vertical than horizontal.

ios still better for enterprise work than most android phones, guess it depends on the company, samsung is usually fine.

And hey being able to just dl a ad block off the official app store vs dling some funky apk or roots or vpn on android.

Anyone with a 6p on nougat or have a samsung or LG or w/e. How is splitscreen on a smartphone? Is it actually useful?

Same. It feels like a chore navigating iOS whenever I use my iPhone. I think Android is a lot more intuitive in that regard.

Yeah, do you seriously just have to hit the home button and then hit the icon for the app again to open the app back up that you backed out of earlier? I feel like I'm missing something.

Yeah, do you seriously just have to hit the home button and then hit the icon for the app again to open the app back up that you backed out of earlier? I feel like I'm missing something.

Either tap the back arrow that will appear in the upper left of the screen when there is a screen you can go back to or you can swipe right from anywhere on the left edge of the screen to go back.

Edit: I read your question wrong. Answered by Jeffery below.

Jeffrey

Jeffery, what do you think about the Axon 7 camera improvements?

Don't know, not really a camera person. The update did improve signals for me with tests, and the fingerprint scanner is stupid fast now. Basically instant.

uh, double tap home button to open multitasker. If an app links you another app, the top left has the name of the previous app and you can tap it to go back (similar to back button).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm quietly excited about the Pixel but I don't have my hopes up. That commercial stinks. Are we really doing commercials for announcements of announcements? They better launch hardware immediately after the event.

It works great. I only use Fi when I'm traveling internationally. I just pop in the sim and resume. I'm sure it's disallowed in the terms but meh.

DedValve

Banned
Ok so I absolutely regret going lollipop on the note 3. The battery drain is fucking stupid and I am dumbfounded that they allowed such an update.

Is there a way for me to go back to the previous android 4.0?

I really liked playing pokemon for an hour and have the battery go from 100% to 90%. Now it goes from 100 to 80% with just 15 minutes of gaf browsing =/

100 -> 90% with the occasional pickup to see time doing absolutly nothing! Also checked any background apps but it wasn't doing this before lollipop.

EDIT: Now to sleep with soundcloud at 100% and see what happens. I'll report in the morning. This is just like my htc shittastic battery.

wilflare

Ok so I absolutely regret going lollipop on the note 3. The battery drain is fucking stupid and I am dumbfounded that they allowed such an update.

I really liked playing pokemon for an hour and have the battery go from 100% to 90%. Now it goes from 100 to 80% with just 15 minutes of gaf browsing =/

100 -> 90% with the occasional pickup to see time doing absolutly nothing! Also checked any background apps but it wasn't doing this before lollipop.

EDIT: Now to sleep with soundcloud at 100% and see what happens. I'll report in the morning. This is just like my htc shittastic battery.

the Lollipop update made me shift from Note3 to Nexus6P lol

Jeffrey

Pixel looking underwhelming, note 7 exploding, on the year with the most controversial iPhone.

Clearly a conspiracy. Something is going on.

Jigolo

It's only going to get worse

tzare

Maybe because past year was a skip year due to Qualcomm fucking every single SoC they made is the reason this year everything seems overpriced,sin everyone seems to be willing to buy a new phone.....

Hopefully waiting a few months will be enough to see prices drop: Note 7, Pixel or even Axon or OP3 below 300.... so i will wait.
Note 4 still not matched, at least not at those prices.

LOL at the Google Pixel price.

Idk, I'm done with expensive phones. I was looking for a replacement for my damaged Nexus 5, preferably a bigger phone. I looked at a lot of current flagship models, but as it turns out, I don't actually need all those stuff in those expensive phones.

Higher resolution than 1080p? The latest CPU/GPU? Don't really care, because I don't game / watch 4K videos on my phone. Camera? I guess everything is better than the N5 camera, and I don't even take that many pictures.

So I'm probably getting a Moto G4 for 199€:

- 1080p 5.5 inch screen
- micro SD card slot
- better camera than my N5
- solid battery with quick charge option
- back cover which doesn't get constantly smudged by fingerprints
- a price where I'll never have to worry about dropping the damn thing
- more money left for my (expensive) hobbies

feelsgoodman

Asgaro

PSA

MoDaCo

In approximately January 2016, the UK based Android community known as MoDaCo suffered a data breach which exposed 880k subscriber identities. The data included email and IP addresses, usernames and passwords stored as salted MD5 hashes.

Compromised data: Email addresses, IP addresses, Passwords, Usernames

https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites#MoDaCo

I receive a link in my RSS reader each time this page about breached websites get updated. Got this one today.
Don't know the website myself but I'm still rather new to the Android ecosystem. (Was using Samsung Bada until 15 months ago lol.)

SteveWD40

So, I managed to land a Shield Tablet K1 since they came back into stock on Nvidia's site. 2 Questions though to those more familiar with Android (my first droid device):

1. It has no charger, am I good with any micro USB + plug (usually an apple plug) as per a smartphone or Kindle?

2. Should I format the MicroSD as internal? seen mixed messages on this online, I got a Sandisk Ultra 128GB. I wan't to be able to install apps to the card (only got 16GB model) but don't want massive load times.

Hydrargyrus

Gemüsepizza;217474481 said:

Idk, I'm done with expensive phones. I was looking for a replacement for my damaged Nexus 5, preferably a bigger phone. I looked at a lot of current flagship models, but as it turns out, I don't actually need all those stuff in those expensive phones.

Higher resolution than 1080p? The latest CPU/GPU? Don't really care, because I don't game / watch 4K videos on my phone. Camera? I guess everything is better than the N5 camera, and I don't even take that many pictures.

- 1080p 5.5 inch screen
- micro SD card slot

feelsgoodman

I was like you, but I recomend you to go to the Moto G4 plus instead the G4 version. Probably you would be able to buy it for around 240€, and be sure that those extra 40€ are well expended: Turbo charger (the OG G4 doesn't include charger), better camera and fingerprint scanner. The charger, by itself, costs around 15€...

Btw, I'm truly satisfied with it and I was coming from a N5 too.

I would love to be able to buy a Nexus (as good as the Nexus 5) for aroud 400€, but seems like those times are gone forever.

Vanillalite

So kinda need QHD for better VR experience.

That means you'd need the XL.

I also wonder if DayDream is a separate partition and has to have separate versions of apps. Like you'd need the regular Netflix app, and then your download the VR version in DayDream.

That means storage would be a pain in the ass with only 32 gigs.

So fucking $700-$800 for the 128gig phone. $80 for the headset. Then what idk $30-$50 for the touch move wand?

That's kinda too rich for my blood.

Jeffrey

Once the replacement Note 7s arrive and are safe, why wouldn't someone consider one?

bad PR around the phone is already set, and who knows when airlines will allow the phone on flights again. Unless they are giving away the phone for $400, its most definitely not gonna be an iphone 'killer' that samsung execs hoped for before.

Seems like the note 7 probably didn't cause that Jeep fire:

http://patch.com/florida/stpete/sams...-officials-say

this story was always shady to begin with. Like unless somehow the phone got into the gas line, im not really sure how the whole jeep can get engulfed that quickly.

So kinda need QHD for better VR experience.

That means you'd need the XL.

I also wonder if DayDream is a separate partition and has to have separate versions of apps. Like you'd need the regular Netflix app, and then your download the VR version in DayDream.

That means storage would be a pain in the ass with only 32 gigs.

So fucking $700-$800 for the 128gig phone. $80 for the headset. Then what idk $30-$50 for the touch move wand?

That's kinda too rich for my blood.

Still weird that there still aren't that many confirmed Dream VR ready phones outside of axon 7 and zenphone 3 premium. now that qualcom mention there is vr api that is exclusive to 821 (maybe?), sure would be shitty if axon experience was gimped.

Jeffrey

they already arrived.

they literally had SUNDAY DELIVERY at some retail locations in the US.

my local store had Monday delivery. they got Silver in the morning and Black in the afternoon.

oh you got the replacement? Did they allow you to transfer data over when you exchanged?

Hows the green battery icon.

Vanillalite

Still weird that there still aren't that many confirmed Dream VR ready phones outside of axon 7 and zenphone 3 premium. now that qualcom mention there is vr api that is exclusive to 821 (maybe?), sure would be shitty if axon experience was gimped.

I mean it is but it isn't.

The problem is it's not officially available yet, but at the same time how the fuck are devs supposed to make apps for this thing ahead of launch without the fucking phones to use for headsets?

It's also an issue because Google is at the end of the cycle not the beginning. So when this shit is announced all of the 2016 phones will be out. So if things aren't compatible it'll be wait for 2017 to get things right.

I mean it is but it isn't.

The problem is it's not officially available yet, but at the same time how the fuck are devs supposed to make apps for this thing ahead of launch without the fucking phones to use for headsets?

It's also an issue because Google is at the end of the cycle not the beginning. So when this shit is announced all of the 2016 phones will be out. So if things aren't compatible it'll be wait for 2017 to get things right.

They're using the 6P, which is the only phone supported by the SDK right now.

Speaking of which, I love the 810 disclaimer on the developer portal:

Caution: The 6P's thermal performance is not representative of the consumer Daydream-ready devices that will be launching later this year. In particular, expect the 6P to thermally throttle CPU and GPU performance after a short period of use, depending on workload.

Vanillalite

They're using the 6P, which is the only phone supported right now.

I get that, but the 6P overheats like a mother fucker in regular tasks let alone VR cause of that 810. How the fuck you supposed to actually make shit that works?

This is from the fucking dev portal straight from Google.

Caution: The 6P's thermal performance is not representative of the consumer Daydream-ready devices that will be launching later this year. In particular, expect the 6P to thermally throttle CPU and GPU performance after a short period of use, depending on workload

So how are they actually supposed to make apps for the damn thing?

Edit: LoL I see you posted that too!

Asgaro

Ordered my first power bank. Pretty hyped.
I got into Pokémon Go a few days ago (School obligations didn't allow me to get into it while the hype was really big...)
Even though my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact has decent SOT (6 hours indoor; 5 hours outdoors) it still drained too fast for my taste.

It's about the same size as my Z3C. I was looking for this form factor in particular because it then can fit inside a sportband!

So you can run/cycle with a power bank on your upper arm and your connected smartphone on your lower arm. Combine that with my Pebble and my heart rate monitor, and I will totally look like a cyborg lol.

It's this one: http://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-ZMI-...Bank-for-iPhone-Xiaomi-Samsung-p-1040996.html
5000 mAh. It also supports Quick Charge and it weights less then my Z3C.
Xiaomi's MI brand is well known but they also have this ZMI brand.

This power bank is only a few months old so not a lot of reviews to be found though.
Review, in Dutch: https://dodgereviews.tweakblogs.net/blog/13505/review-zmi-5000mah-qc20-quick-charge-power-bank

Don't know when it will arrive but it could take a while. It's coming from a warehouse in 'Murica since the stock in China was depleted. I live in Europe.

Xisiqomelir

- 1080p 5.5 inch screen
- micro SD card slot

feelsgoodman

Dat last year mid-tier life is legit. Loving my R7s.

I feel that I've always been generally hostile to the "mobile revolution" (citation: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148598690&postcount=216 ), but I'm actually enjoying trying out new packages with this device, whereas my Xperia was basically a Gmaps+Tinder machine.

kinggroin

Banned

- 1080p 5.5 inch screen
- micro SD card slot

feelsgoodman

I went G4 plus (more ram), but yeah man, I feel ya. Tired of the rich man's phone game. There are far too many other inexpensive options that not only don't suck, but are actually good.

Chris R

- 1080p 5.5 inch screen
- micro SD card slot

feelsgoodman

Man, if this was a 5" phone I'd be placing my order right now

Top Bottom