• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hasney

I just realised that the G6 being "first" is kind of pointless as the updated app with the HDR/Dolby support doesn't exist yet. They're probably being certified as they come out and will push the updated app when they have at least a couple of phones.

Sold the s8+. It's tough to beat my OnePlus One. This phone is like the best value ever. Running nougat with 7.1.2 with May security update. Need my stock Android and rooting capabilities.

Mindwipe

There's no way that's a complete list. You're telling me phones like the LG G5 or HTC 10 aren't HD compatible with them?

It's not a complete list, Netflix are bad at keeping it up to date. But you do have to submit it to Netflix for security testing and not all OEMs can be bothered/are ready on time/are big enough for Netflix to bother testing (oh, or 4 they would/do fail the security audit, sometimes in ways that can't be fixed in software).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Looking to get an 8" Android tablet and noticed that the Tab S2 has dropped to $300 this week. Any reason to avoid this tablet? I would have preferred the Shield tablet but it looks like that is not getting restocked anymore.

Seems legit still*. Do you have a tablet already? Any reason you want the 8" in particular?

*The new "iPad" is a way better value but it's not Android

Wow. How long did you have the S8+ for?

Just a couple of days. Was too expensive when it wasn't a huge upgrade over my OnePlus One and the OnePlus One is better in alot of ways like dual speakers and custom roms. I also am not a fan of the curved display. S8+ camera is a beast though and the screen is gorgeous if you can ignore the curves.

Seems legit still*. Do you have a tablet already? Any reason you want the 8" in particular?

*The new "iPad" is a way better value but it's not Android

My Nexus 7 is dying. :(

I tried the new ipad but found it a bit too bulky to comfortably hold. I also have a ton of paid apps that i'd like to keep using. :)

Jeffrey

Just a couple of days. Was too expensive when it wasn't a huge upgrade over my OnePlus One and the OnePlus One is better in alot of ways like dual speakers and custom roms. I also am not a fan of the curved display. S8+ camera is a beast though and the screen is gorgeous if you can ignore the curves.
Why not just return it?

Vanillalite

So with regards to Samsung apps

Dialer

Indifferent

Gallery
Browser
Clock

Dislike

Keyboard

Haven't tried Samsung pay yet. Browser seems legit, but it's hard for me to browser hop from Chrome due to sync.

Keyboard isn't my favorite. Gonna try going back to Gboard. It might just be the aspect ratio and the curved that fuck with me typing.

I like that the built in dialer + messenger that works with Wi-Fi call and text as well as advance messaging.

Vanillalite

Yo Jeffery

Just checked for updates and boom I got something downloading that is 400 megs.

screenshot_20170509-1anuqw.png

Random question regarding tablets-- is it a given that to root a device, you have to reset it? That used to be 100% true, and I'm hoping it's not anymore.

This is for a relatively recent Asus Zen Pad.

My son's Terarria progress hinges in the balance. :(

llehuty

Random question regarding tablets-- is it a given that to root a device, you have to reset it? That used to be 100% true, and I'm hoping it's not anymore.

This is for a relatively recent Asus Zen Pad.

My son's Terarria progress hinges in the balance. :(
Can't you backup the savefile somehow?

Quasar

Netflix has certified the G6 as the first HDR and Dolby Vision phone. I'm ready.

That seems so utterly pointless to me. Then again I consider watching longform media on a phone pointless to aside from certain use cases. Now casting Dolby Vision content to a chromecast, that I can understand. I'd be more onboard with a Dolby Vision certified tablet.

Does Chromecast support DV or just HDR10?

I wish for the Note that Samsung would still offer a flat screen and a shitty-ass curved screen.

I feel like I'll probably end up keeping my Note 4 forever. There's just nothing else like it and now there never will be. :(

So with regards to Samsung apps

Dialer

Indifferent

Gallery
Browser
Clock

Dislike

Keyboard

Haven't tried Samsung pay yet. Browser seems legit, but it's hard for me to browser hop from Chrome due to sync.

Keyboard isn't my favorite. Gonna try going back to Gboard. It might just be the aspect ratio and the curved that fuck with me typing.

I like that the built in dialer + messenger that works with Wi-Fi call and text as well as advance messaging.

Samsung pay is amazing and their keyboard is stunningly awful. :)

longdi

Banned
Samsung browser is much better than Chrome. Chrome has background battery drain.

Samsung Pay is good too.

Samsung theme store + dark theme is what you need.

The rest are Samcrap.

thats basically the samsung 'image' now. no reason for them to ditch it, unless they go full cylinder someday.

It's almost certain to have it because that's just Samsung's thing now.

I know, doesn't make it any less of a mistake. Business users of the Note don't need curved edges. Glad Oneplus isn't going there with the OP5. Hope they release in June. Also we should be hearing about Axon 8 soon if they will release one this year.

Note 7 and GS8+ feel great in the hand.

flossy

you're holding it wrong.

Ladies. The curves are nice in the hand until you put a case on it, which everyone does. Then the curves don't do anything​ except make it harder to type and distort the edges of the screen. I've never actually met someone that's a fan of the edges for use, but I guess someone at Samsung is a huge fan.

Jeffrey

Ladies. The curves are nice in the hand until you put a case on it, which everyone does. Then the curves don't do anything​ except make it harder to type and distort the edges of the screen. I've never actually met someone that's a fan of the edges for use, but I guess someone at Samsung is a huge fan.
Sex appeal sells. Giant fake tits aren't practical either.

the curves are nice with a Spigen Liquid Crystal case too

Sex appeal sells. Giant fake tits aren't practical either.

Haha I guess your right. I mean the glass back that looks ugly af with fingerprints all over it unless you wipe it down every 2 seconds doesn't serve any purpose either but looks cool in review videos and marketing shots.

Top Bottom