• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Uh... So I'm still on android 4.4.4 kitkat, what would be the benefits of upgrading to nougat? Battery Life would go down right? This is with a oneplus one.

Husker86

Uh... So I'm still on android 4.4.4 kitkat, what would be the benefits of upgrading to nougat? Battery Life would go down right? This is with a oneplus one.

Don't do it. 4.4.x is the best Android version ever made

KitKat getting the axe by some developers and that number will climb quickly in my opinion. minSdk 21 fo life.

So much was added in Lollipop, design wise, that I couldn't imagine using a phone on KitKat.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Heads up for those looking for BT headphones.

Jaybird doing a sale on the X3s at $99.

Edit: The Jaybird Freedoms are $99 too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What makes them better than $20 ones on amazon?

Sound and build quality. Jaybird initially were the first to the market to try and make decent quality BT earbuds. That's literally all they make.

Of course since the original X1 more players especially Beats have gotten into the game.

Biggest thing is cheap sub $50 BT earbuds tend to be shitty and break like mad. Plus tbings like the Jaybird X and Beats Powerbeats are great for being active. Meaning build quality, sweat proof, and they'll actually stay in your ears when you work out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple AirPods are so good. I wonder whether the non-Apple market will have a competitive answer. Need to nab a pair. Not to mention how comparatively cheap AirPods are to other wireless earbuds. I saw the Dash or whatever on sale but those didn't review so well.

Man why the hell is chrome taking up 32% of my battery? It's killing my SoT.

The jaybird freedoms are uncomfortable garbage that will not stay in your ears. The jaybird X3 is what I currently have and they are great. Look for a sound profile you like and go wild. They are more on the bass side though.

Quasar

Apple AirPods are so good. I wonder whether the non-Apple market will have a competitive answer. Need to nab a pair. Not to mention how comparatively cheap AirPods are to other wireless earbuds. I saw the Dash or whatever on sale but those didn't review so well.

But I thought the audio quality was as shit as their other headphones?

they are actually amazing. I honestly think even android phoners should consider them but obviously best with apple stuff.

also how bout those pixel 2 leaks. Oh yeah.

If Samsung can get the battery life up on the IconX they will have a legit AirPods killer. The IconX has a built-in heart rate monitor, lmao

they are actually amazing. I honestly think even android phoners should consider them but obviously best with apple stuff.

also how bout those pixel 2 leaks. Oh yeah.

Android devices can't send AAC over Bluetooth so the quality will be shit

Vaux

The jaybird freedoms are uncomfortable garbage that will not stay in your ears. The jaybird X3 is what I currently have and they are great. Look for a sound profile you like and go wild. They are more on the bass side though.
I have the Jaybird freedoms too. Its true they just dont stay in your ear for some reason, and ive tried every way.

so ... wait for IconX 2?

Probably. It's unlikely we'll see IconX 2 before the end of the year though. The IconX only came out in October 2016.

Samsung was probably trying to make it to market the same time as the AirPods which is why they thought 1.5 hours rated Bluetooth streaming battery life was okay for their first-gen product. Sigh.

Jaybird X3's are the best current solution for BT earbuds IMO - jump on these. Absolutely love mine.
I bought he Jaybird X2's, but no matter what I did I couldn't get them to be fit comfortably (the X3's might have been comfier, but I didn't love the idea of needing a separate dongle to charge the X3). I didn't love the material of the cable for the X2's either, they rubbed on my clothes and was audible when in my ears.

I've got the Bose Soundsport earbuds, since they're the only ones I've found that are really comfortable (get a pair for my girlfriend previously). The battery life isn't the best (a little less than the X2/X3), but it's long enough for my needs, and I plan to get a charger case if I need more. And Nordstrom sells them, so if they ever die or break or I just want something new I can just return them anytime I want. They don't block sound like tighter fit ones, but I prefer them since I can drive or workout and still have some sense of what's going on around me.

I'd love fully wireless earbuds like those Samsung ones, but the 1.5 hour battery life was just too low. I need at least 3+ to listen to a full long podcast without charge.

Leeroy605

It also has 4 GB of built-in storage so you don't need to pair it with a phone if you put music on the internal storage

The IconX is actually really technologically badass but the price for all the stuff is poor battery life.
http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-iconx/

After using IconX's for nearly a year now I can attest to this.

Great technology and they fit well, but the battery life is such a killer. Always crapping out on me about 15 minutes before the end of my gym session.

Recently sold mine and got a pair of Jabra Sport Elites, ever so slightly chunkier but has 3 hour battery life plus the heart rate monitor etc. No on-board storage but as I use Spotify exclusively never had a need for that myself.

I'm more and more interested in BT headphones.

The problem is that I don't want anything big, fat and bulky on my head and neither do I want anything in my ear canal, so in-ears are a no-go, too. Clipping things on or over my ear isn't going to happen either.

I'm using these incredibly cheap Sennheiser-branded headphones for 14.99 and since I only listen to podcasts, they're perfect for that. I don't have issues with hard plastic and they don't fall out all the time either.

yWhgPP2.jpg

I basically want these as BT headphones.

Is there anything like it?

Hasney

I'm more and more interested in BT headphones.

The problem is that I don't want anything big, fat and bulky on my head and neither do I want anything in my ear canal, so in-ears are a no-go, too. Clipping things on or over my ear isn't going to happen either.

I'm using these incredibly cheap Sennheiser-branded headphones for 14.99 and since I only listen to podcasts, they're perfect for that. I don't have issues with hard plastic and they don't fall out all the time either.

yWhgPP2.jpg

I basically want these as BT headphones.

Is there anything like it?

JBL Synchros Reflect if you see them cheap are OK. They look like they go into the canal, but they don't.

JBLReflectBT_Blue_001_dvHAMaster.jpg

Looking to upgrade my Sony Z3. Was certain I'd go with another Sony for my third straight phone. But...they got smaller? Ugh. So I'm looking around and I'm not happy with what I see.

The z3 was great for multimedia. Nice big screen. 2 forward facing speakers. 16:9 form factor.

Now the "top" phones (g6, s8) have some whacked out aspect ratio (18:9). Smaller screens. And 1 speaker on the side of the phone. What? What happened to improving things? Makes me really wonder if I should hold off but this does seem to be the trend going forward.

So what's the better choice of the phones I'm considering...

G6 - currently a trade in promo so all I pay is taxes.

S7 - I can't justify the extra cost of the S8

Pixel xl

Or is there anything else I should consider?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Looking to upgrade my Sony Z3. Was certain I'd go with another Sony for my third straight phone. But...they got smaller? Ugh. So I'm looking around and I'm not happy with what I see.

The z3 was great for multimedia. Nice big screen. 2 forward facing speakers. 16:9 form factor.

Now the "top" phones (g6, s8) have some whacked out aspect ratio (18:9). Smaller screens. And 1 speaker on the side of the phone. What? What happened to improving things? Makes me really wonder if I should hold off but this does seem to be the trend going forward.

So what's the better choice of the phones I'm considering...

G6 - currently a trade in promo so all I pay is taxes.

S7 - I can't justify the extra cost of the S8

Pixel xl

Or is there anything else I should consider?

The XZs or XZ Premium (if you don't mind waiting)

Top Bottom