• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Elder Scrolls Online Review

Hyun Sai

Whatever we may think of Angry Joe, this was one of the best informative review ever, much much better than the so called "Pro reviewers" around here.

docbon

Wait, so you buy the game for $60+ which comes with a free month of it's subscription, but it's being held hostage and the only way to use it is by buying at least one more month?

Did I hear that right in the review?

There's a verification charge of $15 that temporarily shows up as pending on your bank account, but you're only charged only after the first month ends. It's unusual (and shitty) because verification charges are never more than $2, and because you usually aren't required to put in your payment info until the end of the first month.

Einbroch

Banned
God knows. He is a poor man's Jim Sterling.

Yet another You Tuber who believes he is an expert on everything.

This post just stinks of jealousy and bitterness. He's said many times and he even acts like he's just a normal dude who has things to say. He's not an expert and never claimed to be one. If he's so awful, why are you even posting in the thread? It's not like you have an investment in the show.

But whatever.

Jetman

He has a guild/community to manage maybe?
I don't know.

That or he wants to get his $60 worth of 30 days, I guess. But if its THAT bad you'd think he'd just walk away from it. Why put more time into a game that you hated on for 36 minutes out of a 38 minute review? Makes me almost think the hate is over reaction for comedic value to garner more views.

Jito

Banned
Why does this guy always get threads. People post like he's some influential figure in gaming....I know don't post if you hate, but his videos annoy me.

Well I like them *shrugs* "don't post if you hate" maybe?

Yeh fuck him! Only the "experts" are allowed to make videos or express their views. What a shit comment.

He never said he's an expert on anything nor he is better than any YT personality. He is giving an informative review and speaks whatever he wants about games, what is severely lacking from majority of game journalists out there. Remember, his work is still just a review. It is still just his opinion. You're fine to disagree but please keep the hating away.

sensui-tomo

That or he wants to get his $60 worth of 30 days, I guess. But if its THAT bad you'd think he'd just walk away from it. Why put more time into a game that you hated on for 36 minutes out of a 38 minute review? Makes me almost think the hate is over reaction for comedic value to garner more views.

how about that he wants to keep his online fanbase happy by playing with them? Or is that inconceivable?

Septic360

Banned

I have never once, seen or heard him claim that he is an expert. In fact, his moniker, Angry Joe says it all really.

His reviews or rants or whatever you want to call them are more sincere and spot on than most of reviews from the 'pros' that I've seen.

unbias

When you are playing an MMO with a large community of friends it is quite easy to play a game you think is average. The is one of the biggest hooks in MMO's, if you have friends playing it.

Chaos17

Wait, so you buy the game for $60+ which comes with a free month of it's subscription, but it's being held hostage and the only way to use it is by buying at least one more month?

Did I hear that right in the review?
15$ for monthy sub
20$ (or 15?) for a new race
20$ (collector edition) if you want a horse
Something like that.

He made a review of 38 mins not a live playing test of 38 mins.
DO NOT confuse that.
He obviously played more than 38 mins.

docbon

15$ for monthy sub
20$ (or 15?) for a new race
20$ (collector edition) if you want a horse
Something like that.

He made a review of 38 mins not a live playing test of 38 mins.
DO NOT confuse that.
He obviously played more than 38 mins.

The horse and Imperial race are both included in the imperial edition for the extra $20.

It's not hyperbole, it's passion. That's the main reason people like Joe's reviews. You can tell he really believes what he says. Or at the very least, he makes you believe that he believes in what he says and that's good enough.

There's a verification charge of $15 that temporarily shows up as pending on your bank account, but you're only charged only after the first month ends. It's unusual (and shitty) because verification charges are never more than $2, and because you usually aren't required to put in your payment info until the end of the first month.

So if it doesn't get charged until after the first month I wonder if it can be cancelled before the month ends. Regardless it definitely is shitty. Thanks for clearing it up.

RoKKeR

Well this sufficiently unhyped me for this game...was looking forward to trying it out when it comes to consoles but not so much anymore.

The biggest killer for me is the horse shit (my friend is getting the Imperial edition so what, he just has to wait for me to walk everywhere?) and how seemingly stupid playing with friends is. The whole having to do the puzzles yourself, no instance-based loot, and just the way it's structured seems terrible.

I can forgive a lot of the negative stuff he mentions but those things in particular sound horrible.

Fuz

Banned

Honestly, this bothers me really a lot. More than all the other issues.
If I would have known it beforehand, I wouldn't have bought the game. I have to subscribe and give them my cc data just for playing a game that I already bought?
Really doesn't sit well with me. At all.
So if it doesn't get charged until after the first month I wonder if it can be cancelled before the month ends. Regardless it definitely is shitty. Thanks for clearing it up.
You can. I imediately canceled it.

"don't post if you hate"
This is stupid. People can post only if the love? No criticizing?
I'd really prefer more argumented criticizing, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Jetman

When you are playing an MMO with a large community of friends it is quite easy to play a game you think is average. The is one of the biggest hooks in MMO's, if you have friends playing it.

True, but he said the grouping portion was busted for PvE and basically didn't work, not including glitches. And he did say he enjoyed the PvP so, I suppose that it isn't entirely inconceivable to want to hang out with his community to play that. But if 'the graphics suck, glitches and bugs are everywhere, horses cost too much and he's constantly on foot in PvP, other MMO's (like Guild Wars) have the same if not better PvP, ...then to me it would be inconceivable to keep playing. There are way too many games these days to try instead of forcing yourself to play one that's supposedly that bad. Has he even done a review on FF14:ARR? He could go try that, and have a chance to do another review. Or he can keep playing a game he hates, I guess.

Why does this guy always get threads. People post like he's some influential figure in gaming....I know don't post if you hate, but his videos annoy me.

Nobody said he is some influential figure in gaming, but most (if not all of his reviews) are pretty damn honest. Even if he absolutely loves the game to the moon and back he still thoroughly explains the flaws with it. Even if its a game he's not that interested in he will still explain why its a good game.

Its getting harder and harder to find honest reviewers in this day and age.

Dubz

We get it, you spent a hefty amount of money on the game and the subscription fee so you're forced to 'enjoy' it now.
Nope...but nice try. I enjoy the trading aspect of the game. No AH means I can buy low and sell high. The questing and pop are also both very enjoyable.

Jito

Banned
Get this guys, I don't really like Jim Sterlings videos but don't feel the need to attempt to shit on his work in every thread. How does that work?

docbon

I feel like no one read my first post.

Roi8Sea.gif

alas.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ah yes because being critical and thinking the man is a buffoon means I am jealous and bitter.

Maybe not but this kind of does:

He is a professional reviewer.

Why are you still posting if you hate him so much?

I mean, you posted the exact same crap in the last thread and seem to just enjoy railing on him instead of discussing the actual content.

That's bitterness to me.

Yeah that too

You can. I imediately canceled it.

Thanks, this is a good thing. I'd like to play the game but I don't want to pay a subscription. In fact I won't pay one. So if I can get a months worth of fun out of it for the $60 price tag then i'll pick it up soon enough.

Jito

Banned
This is stupid. People can post only if the love? No criticizing?
I'd really prefer more argumented criticizing, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Uh, I was quoting what the guy said himself while posting hate, seems sensible enough to follow the advice. Criticism makes good conversation, pointless hate does not.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

To make a through review, perhaps? If he hadn't spent the time playing it he would be hit with the other side of that coin "but he barely played it how does he know?".

Kikujiro

Ah yes because being critical and thinking the man is a buffoon means I am jealous and bitter.

Did he steal your girlfriend?

There's criticism and there's plain hating, which is what you're doing, you're not even discussing the review, but only attacking him for no reason at all.

Calling him a buffoon, saying he acts like he's an expert (when he never did), yeah I would say you are jealous and bitter.

I highly, highly doubt it will be free-to-play by the end of this year. If Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn can survive on 500,000 with its most likely absorbent budget than ESO can easily do the same. You'll see the console versions at E3.

ARR is over 2 million active accounts now and around a million subs. The numbers for that game keep increasing too after 6 months as word gets around that it's actually good. There's a pretty meaty endgame in ARR which ought to keep people around for awhile yet.

ESO on the other hand seems to be following the model of milk the players as much as possible for the first few months and then go F2P when everyone quits. I mean locking a whole race behind the LE and charging $60 + $15 sub + micro transactions just screams squeezing as much blood from the stone as possible before going F2P. It's as bad as those $200 Lifetime Subs suckers paid for Star Trek Online back in the day.

Einbroch

Banned

Dude gets paid to review games. That makes him a professional. Whether or not you like his style is one thing, but he is a professional. He does this for a living and makes enough money to support himself.

I feel like I'm just feeding trolls, though, so I'll stop.

vcc

I have never once, seen or heard him claim that he is an expert. In fact, his moniker, Angry Joe says it all really.

His reviews or rants or whatever you want to call them are more sincere and spot on than most of reviews from the 'pros' that I've seen.

I cringe when Angry Joe does the angry bit, I think there are way too many 'angry' gaming personalities. I think most of them are more interesting when they aren't ranting. It works for some because it's very measured, Total Biscuit and AVGN are more thoughtful about it. Others like Marcus beer are just ranting poorly informed opinions for views.

Atrophis

I feel like no one read my first post.

Roi8Sea.gif

alas.

I read it bro.

I will watch the review when I get home. Want to see if some of the stuff I have heard still remains to be fixed. I feel this will inevitably go F2P which is not neccesarily a bad thing. Rather the game go F2P than slowly die and shut down so its fans can no longer play it. If it does go F2P I will probably check out the PVP. Have no interest in the rest of the game.

docbon

But your post was rational. Booooooring.

I guess I should have made a charged statement or something for complaining about not getting loot from a boss, despite getting the equipment reward seconds after when the quest ended. Footage not shown, of course.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Joe puts out 20-30 minute videos with lots of gameplay footage while going over just about every aspect of a game. He is far better at being a professional reviewer than a vast majority of the large sites.

Maximus.

Why does every Jimquisition get a thread? Don't thread shit, just don't post if you want it to fall off the front page.

I ignore or don't post in most threads that aren't relevant to me, but when this guy creeps into many threads I do go into, it bugs me to see or weekly threads of his videos. Does that mean every YouTube video deserves its own weekly thread? I'm not even shitting up this thread. I have sat through a few of his videos around the time the new consoles were announced, but after his constant raging and over the top behavior, I couldn't stand him.

If it annoys you, it's pretty easy to avoid the threads featuring his reviews.

True, but I guess I reached a breaking point.

I understand everyone has their own tastes, but like I've said it gets annoying when one or two YouTube sensations get constant threads! I know they have a fanbase here, so I can respect that at least.

Top Bottom