• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing focused Nintendo Direct 10/5 20:00

I was already crying when I saw you could use your Mii!

So..... what's the big deal with the neighbour portraits?

Yay! I liked the Mii mask in Animal Crossing, nice way of compensating for the rather random facial creation feature.

The Animal Portraits were in Wild World (maybe GCN, can't remember). They basically added an incentive for a player to spend time with the villagers. In City Folk, outside of hide & seek... their was far less point to them.

Khaz

Now all we need to know is, will WiFi still be restricted to friends? Probably.. guessing so given the possibility of town ruiners and such but I'd still like to be able to go somewhere if none of my friends have the game. :<

Well apparently online play will be restricted to your friends, but you can visit a copy of the town of people you streetpass. And you can vandalise it all you want it won't be repercuted on their copy.

It wasn't something you worked on per se, but if you were more than neighborly towards another for an expended period of time, you may get a prompt in which the they would want to give a photo of themselves. It's just a semi-rare event which displaces your eternal friendship with them. Each one was original mugshot of every neighbor, so there is plenty of them to get.

They took out the feature in City Folk, no apparent reason why.

The Animal Portraits were in Wild World (maybe GCN, can't remember). They basically added an incentive for a player to spend time with the villagers. In City Folk, outside of hide & seek... their was far less point to them.

Ahh cheers. I do remember getting a couple in WW but didn't think they were 'special' per se.
I had one of my favourite neighbour who moved home whilst I was DS-less on holiday.
Oh God that was tough... :'(

Nintendo might have lost a Wii U sale with this video and the Monster Hunter one yesterday.
I'm just not going to have time!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They really are packing this to the brim. Do we know if they have the city to visit again? I'm guessing so, seeing as each AC game tends to keep what the last ones brought or expanded upon.
Yes. They showed off all the different buildings you can find in the city.

Now all we need to know is, will WiFi still be restricted to friends? Probably.. guessing so given the possibility of town ruiners and such but I'd still like to be able to go somewhere if none of my friends have the game. :<
There's always GAF.

gamingeek

eAeeM.jpg

Chopper

The video showed Iwata's Mii so I guess so. I would post the pic but a couple of image upload sites and fan sites are banned here.
Hmm. Don't know if I like that. The masks were a nice compromise.

I am really looking forward to this. I'm gonna be spending a very unhealthy amount of time with it. It's nice to see that flowers now indicate that they've been watered. I just wish that there was an easier way to water them all.

Also, do we know if paths are still in, or whether they can be corrected?

cacildo

im proud of being an animal crossing fan. It looks like this time the series will FINALLY evolve.

Animal Crossing is such an amazing idea it kind of makes me sad that Nintendo dosent push it like it deserves. I know it has a decent fan base, but it should be bigger.

GCX

Animal Crossing is such an amazing idea it kind of makes me sad that Nintendo dosent push it like it deserves. I know it has a decent fan base, but it should be bigger.
Looks like Nintendo wants the series to be huge again (at least in Japan) since they devoted a whole Direct for it, gave it a hardware bundle and have positioned AC to be THE 3DS game of the holidays.

Chopper

Do we know how online works yet? I would like to think that if someone on your friend list is online, then you should be able to just jump into their town without having to fuck about with opening and closing gates, right?

TriGen

Just watched the ND, and wow was that packed with info! That was nicely done and definetly has me planning on getting this day 1 digitally when it releases in the US. I haven't bought an AC since GC (which I loved) because they didn't really seem all that different, but it definetly feels like this games has a lot of improvements over past AC's.

I'm at work so I haven't seen the video, but what does it mean that you'll be able to "Design Roads"?

Does that mean just putting designs or patterns on the road, or does it mean you can place them yourself (SimCity style)?

colon

For anyone who has been following info on this game, have they confirmed any of the following?

Can we communicate with players online through voice chat?
Can we take screenshots and share them like on the Wii version?
Is the auction house from the Wii version returning? <- this one is not a big deal either way

Kacho

Remember in Animal Crossing CF how the grass would disappear and turn into dirt if you ran around on it to much? I hope they don't do that again this time. My whole town ended up looking like a desert.

Unicorn

Pretty much on media blackout at this point but seeing all the positive reactions has me super hyped. 11/8 in Japan, but do we know US date yet?

Iacobellis

Can someone please explain these Famicom nights? DJ K.K. could be something I like, especially with the growing popularity of dubstep and electronic music in recent years.

rpmurphy

Do we know how online works yet? I would like to think that if someone on your friend list is online, then you should be able to just jump into their town without having to fuck about with opening and closing gates, right?
I hope at least there will be a "door knock" system where you could indicate to your friend that you'd like to come in. Or if you can enter into an "entrance area" and wait for your friend to come bring you in.

Unicorn

c20121005_mori_047_cs1w1_300x.jpg

Wow, fully customizable color palette for designs. I will have enough replay in the tailor alone to last me a generation or 2. No joke.

Cramoss

This game is like the main reason I got a 3DS a few months ago.

I want to read every fucking detail about it but I'm trying not to because I want to be suprised for when the game comes out.

Someone from ACC managed to take a pic of one of the fruit tress from the presentation

Looks like we can mix what a fruit tree provides

ztHz3.png

MNC

Can we still make tiny characters :O

Is it actually constructing roads, or placing the textures on the ground. Can't seek to the right time in the video.

rpmurphy

I'm still hoping for the day when Animal Crossing towns are fully interconnected so that you could travel from your town to your friend's town to your friend's friend's town, etc. It would be nice if you could just explore and sight-see.

zroid

Banned
I'm still hoping for the day when Animal Crossing towns are fully interconnected so that you could travel from your town to your friend's town to your friend's friend's town, etc. It would be nice if you could just explore and sight-see.

Kind of like Pokemon Dream World, heh. That would be pretty awesome.

Come to think of it, if there were a similar item-swapping shelf implemented, that would be amazing. It's perfect for AC!

gamingeek

Remember in Animal Crossing CF how the grass would disappear and turn into dirt if you ran around on it to much? I hope they don't do that again this time. My whole town ended up looking like a desert.

I did an experiment on City Folk. You can grow all your grass back within 28 days if you just make paths with tiles and walk only on them. Then just plant flowers on the dry patches. I took photos and counted days. It was something like 28 days or less even. And the flowers you plant usually breed new ones next to them.

You have to play the game each day though, you can't plant flowers, don't play for a month and expect it to fix itself.

I did an experiment on City Folk. You can grow all your grass back within 28 days if you just make paths with tiles and walk only on them. Then just plant flowers on the dry patches. I took photos and counted days. It was something like 28 days or less even. And the flowers you plant usually breed new ones next to them.

You have to play the game each day though, you can't plant flowers, don't play for a month and expect it to fix itself.
I did the exact same thing. Wasted all my patches space for a proper borders from gras to walkway including corners etc pp. Looked so great :)

Has anything been said about weeds? When I was younger, weeds weren't really a problem because I didn't have a busy schedule and I could play every day but I know I'm not going to be able to play like I used to. It'd be cool if they added an NPC that you could pay to pick the weeds or something! I used to hire people to come to my town and pick weeds in WW :p

Top Bottom