• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing focused Nintendo Direct 10/5 20:00

Well I'll be damned.

slowclap.gif

Seriously: this is the most impressive AC sequel I've yet seen in terms of features. There's plenty of nifty customization with the furniture designs, wide array of clothing articles, and outdoor furnishings and house costuming. But new modes of play, like the StreetPass dream travel, solve problems from previous games (bricking and vandalization in this case) with a great deal of economy. Mini-games, DJ K.K., and personalized museum quarters are all welcome in my vision of Animal Crossing. If the following games can incorporate more in-village interaction with more fully-realized neighbors, then I'll be more than satisfied.

Now my hype level is maximum. That hasn't happened with an AC game for a long time, not since Wild World at least. And this game looks far better than WW.

and how do you feel about the music we heard?
Great stuff. I don't know why they didn't showcase more of the interior music and other outside pieces before. They've struck a good balance between GC-style stuff and the WW music we had previously, and it should please both camps. And more jazzy chord progressions!

Of course, though, they may have just preferred to keep all that up in wraps for this Direct. I can understand why they would.

Gravijah

Great stuff. I don't know why they didn't showcase more of the interior music and other outside pieces before. They've struck a good balance between GC-style stuff and the WW music we had previously, and it should please both camps. And more jazzy chord progressions!

Of course, though, they may have just preferred to keep all that up in wraps for this Direct. I can understand why they would.

i told you to keep the faith!

So... have they reused the same tunes verbatim like they did with City Folk, (that game was so damn ass lazy!) or are there new tracks?

Either way I am heavily hyped for this game. Just showed my housemate the game, who then told me it was childish. He went on to say how excited he was for the next Fifa. If AC doesn't come out soon, I might arrange his corpse in perfect Feng Sheui to get maximum HRA points...

So... have they reused the same tunes verbatim like they did with City Folk, (that game was so damn ass lazy!) or are there new tracks?
They sure did not. The new music is much better and quite different in subtle ways.

@Grav: You didn't give me any good evidence at the time, silly. It's Nintendo's fault for not being as proactive with advertising the game's features as they should have.

YES!

t1WMV.jpg

I love these things!

I wouldn't think so, since you enter people's towns in some sort of dream state, where anything you do in their town won't show up in their game.

I wouldn't think so, since you enter people's towns in some sort of dream state, where anything you do in their town won't show up in their game.

woah thats pretty cool, although i thought that's how it was set up in City Folk. Any entering guests ( the friendcode guests ) couldn't change the landscape of your town or steal anything. Maybe i'm remembering wrong though

Hmmm, watching the stream again, it seems like the picture on the dresser is of Katie, the little cat from WW. I don't know then if that confirms that villager portraits are back since her picture was a special item in WW.

woah thats pretty cool, although i thought that's how it was set up in City Folk. Any entering guests ( the friendcode guests ) couldn't change the landscape of your town or steal anything. Maybe i'm remembering wrong though

I haven't played City Folk, but in this you can chop trees and steal things and cause general mayhem without it actually affecting the other person's city. At least, I think you can take things. I know you can chop trees.

AHHH so exciting!! I loved seeing Itwata's Mii at the beginning <3 I... don't really know where to start! It all looks so amazingggg~~ I loved the music, and the outdoor accessories, the multi-player and the clothing stores and the new neighbors and animals and and and!! The music was my favorite part... other than THAT AMAZING LOOKING 3DS. I hope to GOD something like that will be available for NA, or I may have to go to ebay for the first time ever. I must have that 3DS!

Toru

Has anything been said about weeds? When I was younger, weeds weren't really a problem because I didn't have a busy schedule and I could play every day but I know I'm not going to be able to play like I used to. It'd be cool if they added an NPC that you could pay to pick the weeds or something! I used to hire people to come to my town and pick weeds in WW :p

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj/mayor/index.html
You can issue a law to keep the town clean. It will make weeds less likely to grow and less garbage and cockroaches to appear.

Background pic of the Twitter page

So we got Wendell in pajamas, Franklin the Turkey wearing a chef's hat

Pave and Zipper T. Bunny are back as well
Seems like the only special NPCs possibly missing are Wisp, Serena, Frillard, Lloid, Farley and Kaitlin. (Which is weird since Katie is there.)

Seems a shame to leave them out since this seems to be shaping up to be a love letter to all the past elements of the series. Hopefully they'll still make an appearance. Though not every confirmed special NPC is in the picture (like the Nook twins and Don Resetti), so maybe there's still a shot for them.

I would seriously love a DD copy of this but my 3DS broke a few months back which resulted in me losing all of my data, save data and otherwise.
When I got a new unit the only saving grace was the fact all save data on my game cards was still in tact.
Losing a 5 star Mario file, 100% Ocarina file, 1000+ wins Mario Kart file, etc would've been too much.
That's why now, until Nintendo introduces cloud saving :)LOL) I will always take a cartridge over a download.
With no account, cloud saves, back-ups or any way of recovering / storing your data it's just far too unreliable a proposition for me to drop £40 a time on.

IrishNinja

^jo, could you run manual backups off the SD once in a while though? not ideal, grated, but still..
AC's cart would be in my system so much, if i lost/broke said 3DS id likely lose both.

Toru

I don't whether it has been asked before, but being the mayor will be compulsory?

The first player who created the town becomes the mayor. Three other players can play the game as villagers.
If you have another copy of the game and 3DS, you can move a character to the new cart, create a town, and become the mayor of the new town. (You need not to create a town before the move)

^jo, could you run manual backups off the SD once in a while though? not ideal, grated, but still..
AC's cart would be in my system so much, if i lost/broke said 3DS id likely lose both.

I don't understand the logic with "Oh yeah, the DD is a little more expensive, but I'll always have it on my system!"

I'm willing to just switch the damn cartridges around rather than be price gouged by Nintendo.

The first player who created the town becomes the mayor. Three other players can play the game as villagers.
If you have another copy of the game and 3DS, you can move a character to the new cart, create a town, and become the mayor of the new town. (You need not to create a town before the move)

Has it been confirmed yet if each villager gets a house? Sharing one in WW was such a drag.

IrishNinja

I don't understand the logic with "Oh yeah, the DD is a little more expensive, but I'll always have it on my system!"

I'm willing to just switch the damn cartridges around rather than be price gouged by Nintendo.

i don't know that i'm being "gouged", but yeah, paying the same price for physical is kinda weak. none of the big 3 seem to be ready to take on retailers, sadly.

and i already carry carts in my bag sometimes, but i find myself booting up ambassador games off the drive more often because of convenience, pretty much expecting the same here since AC is such a daily activity/series of meta-games for me.

i don't know that i'm being "gouged", but yeah, paying the same price for physical is kinda weak. none of the big 3 seem to be ready to take on retailers, sadly.

and i already carry carts in my bag sometimes, but i find myself booting up ambassador games off the drive more often because of convenience, pretty much expecting the same here since AC is such a daily activity/series of meta-games for me.

Usually though it's not the same; it's the max RRP, which very few retailers charge. Sony seems to cut the price a little of DD games.

I can't see any other 3DS game coming out that would oust AC from my 3DS... looking at the bareness of the current library.

Hmmm you could do with the proviso that your new / second unit was authorised to run data from the prior card, which only Nintendo can do following a repair.
Were you to pick up a second unit and transfer save data across to a new SD card or even use the original card the save data isn't accessible.
This won't be a problem for most admittedly, as I'd assume anybody who broke their 3DS which contained any amount of DD would simply get it repaired, but it does provide another hurdle in addition to the overpricing (most I've paid for a 3DS cart: £25. Same title as DD: £39.99) that isn't present by simply being willing to insert a cartridge.

Anyway...

Back to Animal Crossing!

I've watched the Direct video again. I think this could shape up to be my very favourite 3DS game. It seems every improvement I could think of is being catered to in some way.
After how incremental Mario Kart, Nintendogs and others have been, I never expected such a big jump.
I'm kinda hoping on the games anniversary that Iwata comes and visits the town :)

The only thing I don't like about the new AC are the again planet-feel of the world - It should be a bit less and more subtile imho - and the fact that there are loading times AGAIN when entering/leaving houses... What is loading? The big ass textures? Where are they? :)

Anyway, I can't wait for my ne ac fix :)

The only thing I don't like about the new AC are the again planet-feel of the world - It should be a bit less and more subtile imho - and the fact that there are loading times AGAIN when entering/leaving houses... What is loading? The big ass textures? Where are they? :)

Anyway, I can't wait for my ne ac fix :)
Wait...there is loading in this game? Seriously? Ugh. Still, I look forward to it. Played City Folk for 30 minutes and never again because it felt too similar.

zroid

Banned
I've never played an AC game before, and this will likely be my first.

I do have a copy of City Folk lying around though, which I haven't gotten around to. Everyone is always pretty down on it, but I never could tell if it was just because the game is too samey or if it's actually bad. Should I give it a try, or just keep waiting?

Top Bottom