• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

TAFK

As someone who hasn't seen a lot of these things being mentioned, text to go with pictures would be helpful for recommendations

drawkcaB

I watched it for the first time a month ago and felt it kind of petered out after the first few episodes, which were really strong / hella '80s (in a fun way). I still like it, but it's not really the classic I was hoping for.

Yep, bang on. First few episodes were super tight, particularly the first. The soundtrack for those two was killer.

I looked into the series more after I was done and found out the eight episodes were produced over a span of four years, and wow does it ever feel like it. I get that it's the nature of OVAs that one part to the next can feel different because of time between them, and I suppose that's part of the charm, but episodes 3-8 of OG Bubblegum Crisis felt completely disjointed in every way.

Garlador

A few overlooked classics, in my opinion.

Tekkaman Blade
70930f2ef2ed1c3f25ccc0732a3857dc.jpg

Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers
yoroiden_samurai_troopers_kik_tei_densetsu_2236.jpg

Gundam X (aka, The Black Sheep of the Gundam family
index.jpg

Aura Battler Dunbine
Aura_Battler_Dunbine.jpg

Korigama

Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma (aka Curse of the Undead: Yoma) [1989]

Not sure how popular this one is but I always liked it. Haunting atmosphere, depressing story, gory, gritty animation.
Ah, so that's what that was. I saw the trailer years ago and still remembered the song, but couldn't recall the name at all. Thanks for this.

Hmm, I wouldn't know if there were all that many who cared for Blue Seed, but that was one series I enjoyed that doesn't appear to have been mentioned so far. Wouldn't really recommend the sequel OAV, though.

Fritz

If you can get past the tentacles and the Cronenberg levels of psycho sexual body horror, Wicked City is a very stylish film. Gorgeous to look at, love the James Cameron style blue gels for all the night time scenes and the slick Michael Mann style visuals.

In general, everybody should just check out everything Yoshiaki Kawajiri has made, he's directed pretty much everything that's awesome, like Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo, Goku Midnight Eye, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, etc. He's got such a great eye for sexy visuals. His segment The Running Man from Neo Tokyo is a short format masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIM4OOZB_A

Very much seconded. His movies sometimes get a very bad rep but I think they are some of the few animes that are absolutely worthwhile. Stylish, solid animation and art direction, unoffensive plots and lots of over the top moments to spice things up.

This was pretty much the only era I ever got into (outside of the occasional film these days), Record of Lodoss War, Evangelion, Escaflowne, original DBZ, those were my jam. Used to love going down to a now defunct video store called Suncoast Video in my local mall and browsing all the VHS tapes in the anime section, a lot of time just picking one based on the cover art and giving it a whirl at home. There were some pretty damn creepy ones I discovered, and I'm pretty sure some of them traumatized me :p

Can't remember the name of this one that stuck out as super dark and graphic, I believe it was a short maybe 30-45 minute production, maybe part of a larger series, involved some dinghy cyber/VR sex bar in a metropolis where people were hooked up to all these grotesque looking machines. I think there was some sort of backroom conspiracy going on where patrons were being harvested or somesuch. This may have been a separate one but I think there was some psychic investigator involved that had your typical anime superpowers, flight, telekinesis, with your requisite showdown scene with some creepy lookin dude of similar power across the vast metropolis. Wish I could remember the name, maybe somebody could help me out.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Aren't a bunch of these older series up on Youtube on various western publishers' official channels? Though in some cases only the dubs are posted, but there's a couple series with both dubs and subs posted.

RangerBAD

Most of the mecha genre was incredibly good throughout the 80s and 90s. A lot of great cyberpunk too. The quality of animation really dwarfs a lot of stuff that comes out now.

B-Dex

Aren't a bunch of these older series up on Youtube on various western publishers' official channels? Though in some cases only the dubs are posted, but there's a couple series with both dubs and subs posted.

Yeah I just realized you can watch all of Nadesico dubbed free on YouTube direct from Manga Entertainment. Pretty awesome.

Dio

Banned
Most of the mecha genre was incredibly good throughout the 80s and 90s. A lot of great cyberpunk too. The quality of animation really dwarfs a lot of stuff that comes out now.

That's not entirely true. A lot of people seem to be conflating 'detail in still images' with 'quality of animation'. There was a shitload of series that had a ton of shading but was animated way worse, cutting corners and using still images panning over a background. Sure, it was really detailed, but that wasn't always well animated.

Note how I'm not saying that there wasn't great animation done in this style - it's just that your misconception that the general quality 'dwarfed' what it is now isn't entirely true. In fact, I'd say there's more well-animated shows in the industry at large which are currently airing than there used to be.

edit:

TV anime that aired in 1995:

Azuki-chan
Bonobono
The Brave of Gold Goldran
Chibi Maruko-chan
Dokkan! Robotendon
El-Hazard
Fushigi Yûgi
Gulliver Boy
H2 (manga)
Jura Tripper
Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mama Loves the Poyopoyo-Saurus
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mojacko
Neighborhood Story
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ninku
Nurse Angel Ririka SOS
A Piece of Phantasmagoria
Ping-Pong Club
Romeo's Blue Skies
Sailor Moon (anime)
Saint Tail
Slayers
Soar High! Isami
Sorcerer Hunters
Street Fighter II V
Tenchi Universe
Virtua Fighter (anime)
Wedding Peach
Wild Knights Gulkeeva
Zenki

Out of these series, only about two or three of these had moments that I'd say were well-animated, the rest of it being super budget. For example, Gundam Wing had some great moments but on the large it had a shitload of corners cut since it ran for like 50 episodes and the 'well animated' parts were few and far between. NGE TV is probably the other big one, but even that had shitloads of stills and cost-cutting - remember the elevator scene and the entire ending sequence where they ran out of money?

In 2015, a full 20 years later, there's already Unlimited Blade Works S2, Kekkai Sensen and Arslan Senki, and it's only April.

RangerBAD

I never said all things. There's great animation modernly too. I do like traditional animation still. Initially I was going to put movies in my statement, but I decided not to. I think it rings more true with movies/OAV of that era.

AfroLuffy

Had to buy the dubbed stuff because the subbed was $10 more at Suncoast video.

This is me! Saved my lunch money, birthday cash, and X-mas money in order to purchase $25-30 VHS Tapes from Saturday Matinee or Suncoast. Jesus, It took me ages to finish buying all thirteen volumes for Evangelion (worth it). Mostly bought movies and OAVs, though, as TV series were a mega expense. I remember being amazed at the volumes and volumes of Ranma 1/2 that seemed to be available (pity the poor souls that took up that cause). Those expensive anime DVDs? Literally a steal by comparison.

andymcc

Banned
This is me! Saved my lunch money, birthday cash, and X-mas money in order to purchase $25-30 VHS Tapes from Saturday Matinee or Suncoast. Jesus, It took me ages to finish buying all thirteen volumes for Evangelion (worth it). Mostly bought movies and OAVs, though, as TV series were a mega expense. I remember being amazed at the volumes and volumes of Ranma 1/2 that seemed to be available (pity the poor souls that took up that cause). Those expensive anime DVDs? Literally a steal by comparison.

my best friend had the first three seasons of ranma 1/2 subbed on VHS.

series 1 alone, with those clamshell boxes, was like $39.99 a volume and I think there were 5 releases....

RangerBAD

Subscribed so I can go back through and check out anything I didn't pick up as a teenager. Sorry Bloodborne, not tonight.

Had to buy the dubbed stuff because the subbed was $10 more at Suncoast video.

Spent a lot of money there too.

I miss the old days of Sci-fi's Anime Weeks. That's how I discovered anime in the 90s.

andymcc

Banned
my aforementioned friend and i ran a really big Dragon Ball/Z fansub trading ring in the 90s. It was a pretty prominent one, actually. we had so many VHS/SVHS decks between the two of us.

saying that anime fans have it easy nowadays is a vast understatement.

Another one people should give a shot is Goldfish Warning!!. It's a lighthearted comedy anime that's loads of fun to watch. Most of the staff that worked on it eventually worked on Sailor Moon and just from watching some of it you'll be able to see why.

JulianImp

my aforementioned friend and i ran a really big Dragon Ball/Z fansub trading ring in the 90s. It was a pretty prominent one, actually. we had so many VHS/SVHS decks between the two of us.

In Argentina, the one kid's channel that aired anime would often license episodes slowly over time, so there were many times when they'd hop back to a previous arc (or even go as far as restarting the series)... There were few things worse than not only not getting to see the conclusion to stuff such as the Freezer/Frieza arc, but having to rewatch everything again until they managed to get the new episodes. I often ended up missing a couple of episodes when they'd finally hop back to where they left off, which was a real pain since you couldn't get to watch it until they decided to air it again.

The ones I remember watching somewhat regularily were:
Koni-Chan (notorious for having a more detailed wiki page in Spanish than in Japanese!)
Detective Conan
Ranma 1/2
Dragon Ball / Z / GT
Saint Seiya
Slayers / Try / Next (loved this series back then)
Irresponsible Captain Taylor (also loved this one)
Sailor Moon

Then there're a couple I only watched a couple of episodes of:
B'T X
Escaflowne
Magic Knight Rayeath
You're Under Arrest
Captain Tsubasa
Samurai Pizza Cats
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Slam Dunk
Patlabor

I can't say we didn't get lots of interesting anime, but I remember I could never get into mecha shows back then.

Some years later there was a dedicated anime channel which aired lots of cool things such as Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop... and I remember I skipped watching it for reasons I still can't remember, hence why I only ended up watching both series many many years later, once I realized I liked anime again.

Subscribed for when I finish my current series, since I honestly don't have a clue about most of the older series that aren't well known nowadays.

RangerBAD

I remember waiting like 10 hours to download a .rm of some fight in the Freezia arc.

Laws00

Did anyone mention this one yet?

This was one of my first forays into anime.

Same. I saw that anime when scifi channel did their anime week in the 90s some time. I remember being in my sisters room while we watched this OMG cartoons can be violet, they curse and all this action wow.

It was Sensory overload

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
at the time the series was still ongoing so they had to make their own ending. I forgot much of the events of the manga, but damn was TriP of Death awesome
Is that Nicholas Wolfwood?

Angelcurio

Ranma 1/2

Ittnj6K.jpg

Slayers

nF9QJ2Z.jpg

Good selection. Ranma 1/2 was really fun, and Slayers is one of my favorites anime series ever, it actually felt like an anime adaption of an RPG game. I would also add Trigun and Cowboy Bebop into the mix, as well as Saber Riders, the 3 Fatal Fury movies, Captain Tsubasa and Arbegas.

The intro for Dirty Pair: Project Eden is still one of the most gorgeous and eye-popping pieces of animation I've ever seen.

tumblr_n72wwmSn4J1tn7e6io1_500.gif

tumblr_n72sjf6RBj1tn7e6io1_500.gif

tumblr_n714zxEOAz1tn7e6io1_500.gif

tumblr_n71biglRCg1tn7e6io1_r1_500.gif

https://youtu.be/z53R0LoeV8c

Of course, it's Koji Morimoto who have done the OP. Nice blend of James Bond / Metal Hurlant / DP original novels designs.

I already mentionned it in my list too some pages back - greatly animated and fun movie. Not the deepest, but a great summary of 80s mood, animation skill and aesthetics in one package.

If THIS don't make you want to watch the movie I don't know what will :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InTV5Bw3Js

(I love the OST for this movie, so good :D )

CrimsonN0

This thread reminds me that I've been planning to re-watch Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Also, Ushio and Tora (which I recently re-read the manga of) which only had OAV episodes apparently announced a TV series recently?
Kind of weird since its definitely been a while.

Top Bottom