• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

DocSeuss

2M1DmU3.jpg

Of the four anime I recognize, three of them are crap. Who cares if they have great shots?

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely true, I can't remember any modern anime that has (good) shading like these old shows.
That's one of the many reasons (i.e. teens, school, fanservice...) why I don't watch that much anime anymore... :sigh:

btw. what anime is the 3rd one on the top? It looks familiar.

Theonik

Even older generations of artists are affected because even if they retain old skills, the new environment dictates that they change with it or else be unable to partake in production, as it is never a one man effort.

Also, I'm not really striving to denote what is better or worse, less or more desired etc. I'm only trying to express my observations on why and how things have changed, which can go further to explain at least in part why people might prefer things from a different era.
In Japan things are different in this hypothetical. Individual artists handle individual scenes and there is a higher tolerance for and you usually see individual animator styles and craft in final works. Hell we have had TV series with episodes worked by single animators in their entirety.

Now, I am not denying what you are saying, there are other more significant factors that lead to the changes in the craft than just the technology. Animation is made b living things and as older generations die out and new take their place, but the culture around them is not the same anyway, they learn from the older generation of animators around them and mimic them but then add their spin to it. I can understand the sentiment from people who really like 80s stuff, but people need to realise that the 80s are gone because it's not the 80s anymore.

And they sure as hell aren't coming back.

I love 80's and early 90's anime. As much as I think anime is mostly rotten garbage these days, whenever I watch something made from the 80's it reminds me all over again why I fell in love with anime in the first place.

Caesnd

In Japan things are different in this hypothetical. Individual artists handle individual scenes and there is a higher tolerance for and you usually see individual animator styles and craft in final works. Hell we have had TV series with episodes worked by single animators in their entirety.

The Japanese way of handling individual cuts is different, but even so there is the larger scale effect of having to consider the other individuals in the production and compositing process (storyboard, clean up, in betweens, colouring, layering, shooting etc), and the osmosis effect that working in a shared environment has on peoples tastes and tendencies. That is when regarding the norms of course. Single individual productions have and always will exist of course, but they are outliers that can't dictate change in societal norms by themselves.

I wasn't even singling out technology per se in my tirade, but rather the psychological effect tools (which is part of an "altered environment" that naturally occurs as time passes I suppose) have on the creative mind (especially how it works on a higher, collectivist level).
Give an airbrush to two people from different eras and chances are they will use it quite differently.

Fencedude

"I watched a handful of OVAs and movies from the 80s and 90s and now I'm an expert on anime shading"

This thread, in a nutshell.

xRObv8fl.png

Absolutely true, I can't remember any modern anime that has (good) shading like these old shows.
That's one of the many reasons (i.e. teens, school, fanservice...) why I don't watch that much anime anymore... :sigh:

So...what's your opinion on Disney's animation output since you agree with the entirety of that picture?

Jex

It's not about "realistic lightning". Working in a digital environment is dinstinctly different from the traditional method, simply because the tools lends themselves towards different attributes. Therefore, the tools will have a profound influence on what styles carry forward. Stiffness vs softness, selection of colors. treatment of shapes and boundaries, etc.

The internet and continued homogenisation of cultural distinctions is also a part of it of course.

I'm just going to quote the last few posts I made on the subject. I haven't ever seen anyone else talk about this part much, and never really gotten any response.
You're not responding to an argument I made, at least, not intentionally.

I was responding to another poster by explaining that, with current animation techniques you could replicate the look of older works. That's all I am saying.

I wouldn't deny that tools inform content, or that cell-era anime looks identical to modern animation. I can certainly tell at a glance if a work was from the cell era.

Theonik

You're not responding to an argument I made.

I was responding to another poster by explaining that, with current animation techniques you could replicate the look of older works. That's all I am saying.

I wouldn't deny that tools inform content, or that cell-era anime looks identical to modern animation. I can certainly tell at a glance if a work was from the cell era.
Right, though you cannot reduce the impact just to the use of cells. The 80s were what they were, you could replicate them if you wanted but it would still not be the same. Anime now are products of our times as anime of the 80s were products of theirs.

DiGiKerot

It's there. It's just that companies would rather stretch the budget out to have a 26 or so Season instead of 3-6 eps, to get the most out of merchandising sales.

Nah, it's more that in the 80s and 90s you could make what the heck you wanted and still be guaranteed to sell several thousand copies simply because video rental stores were desperate for as much content as they could get their hands on - home sales were just gravy on top of that. That, and the bubble economy genuinely did bloat production budgets - wealthy people were willing to throw a ton of money at pure vanity projects as if the stuff was disposable.

Even Mr Otaking had admitted that image was half-joking and somewhat disingenuous - he's comparing random TV animation to the cream of 80s/90s theatrical/video animation, and sometimes even production art to animation stills, in an attempt to exaggerate a point. You can't take it too seriously.

Theonik

Even Mr Otaking had admitted that image was half-joking and somewhat disingenuous - he's comparing random TV animation to the cream of 80s/90s theatrical animation, and sometimes even production art to animation stills, in an attempt to exaggerate a point. You can't take it too seriously.
I love these threads because they help see who knows what the hell they are even talking about. I have also been a victim of this in this thread alone.

Caesnd

You're not responding to an argument I made, at least, not intentionally.

I agree with that.

What I intended to get across was that even if the intent was to replicate something, or "evoke a similar feeling", the final result wouldn't necessarily be the same simply because of how tools/environment affect method and subconscious tendencies in practice.

I love these threads because they help see who knows what the hell they are even talking about. I have also been a victim of this in this thread alone.

It's a trap that people are all too eager to fall in in order to suit their narrative that everything made in the year 2000 onward is hot garbage while completely ignoring any and all evidence to the contrary.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Of the four anime I recognize, three of them are crap. Who cares if they have great shots?

Funny thing is modern anime is also prone to QUALITY

That's a troll image you know. Cherrypicking and shit.

Jaeger

Nah, it's more that in the 80s and 90s you could make what the heck you wanted and still be guaranteed to sell several thousand copies simply because video rental stores were desperate for as much content as they could get their hands on - home sales were just gravy on top of that. That, and the bubble economy genuinely did bloat production budgets - wealthy people were willing to throw a ton of money at pure vanity projects as if the stuff was disposable.

I mean, I don't disagree. Nor does that take away from what I said. Both are true.

Jex

Well, the point (I believe) of that particular image is not to necessarily say that all the anime on the right hand-side of the image are good, rather that cherry picking works for both sides of the argument.

Theonik

It's a trap that people are all too eager to fall in in order to suit their narrative that everything made in the year 2000 onward is hot garbage while completely ignoring any and all evidence to the contrary.
An unexploded bomb is the most dangerous kind of trap
Silent assassins lying in wait, sleeping deep within the GAF
When they suddenly awaken the false peace is broken
GAF: A giant trap of a forum
There, the fuse is lit and the unexploded bomb awakens
Next time, The Trap
Otaking is the giant bomb waiting to explode
But will it be self destruction or guided to its target

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
yeah with the way how the images are worked, it's an intentional cherrypicking, as in it's pointing out how bad the argument is

bodyelectrics

Neo Member
If you can get past the tentacles and the Cronenberg levels of psycho sexual body horror, Wicked City is a very stylish film. Gorgeous to look at, love the James Cameron style blue gels for all the night time scenes and the slick Michael Mann style visuals.

In general, everybody should just check out everything Yoshiaki Kawajiri has made, he's directed pretty much everything that's awesome, like Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo, Goku Midnight Eye, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, etc. He's got such a great eye for sexy visuals. His segment The Running Man from Neo Tokyo is a short format masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIM4OOZB_A

Man wish I hadn't missed this post, watched it last night - it's basically hentai with action scenes in between.

Platy

Fantasy rpg magic, shoujo magical girl, mechas, yuri subtext, crazy plot twists, almost naked hot chicks, big wolves, ova that is a parallel story/remake, cute rabbit like mascot.

Those are all the best tropes from old anime.

Only Rayearth have it all

Jex

Man wish I hadn't missed this post, watched it last night - it's basically hentai with action scenes in between.

I mean, you were warned. Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work tends to feature sex and nudity, often of the non-consensual variety. That's just how he rolls.

Can anyone here help me to identify an anime film from this time period? I saw it around early 2001 or 2002 on the Sci-Fi channel, on a Saturday morning. In the film, there was a space ship, and a large explosion in space. During the shots in space, there was no sound, despite the fact that an explosion was occuring (I'm not saying that's the incorrect behavior, just that it was interesting that the filmmakers would strive to make space explosions realistic enough to be soundless.) This explosion occurred for quite a long time, several minutes. Afterwards, the spaceship landed on a snowy planet. Inside shots of the ship looked quite spartan, for example, the framework of the ship was exposed. It was more Apollo 13, rather than the Enterprise. At this point, I had to shut off the movie, so that's all I remember. Noting the animation, there were no CG effects, it was all hand drawn.
In advance, thanks for your help.

Narag

I mean, you were warned. Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work tends to feature sex and nudity, often of the non-consensual variety. That's just how he rolls.

I think the most audience friendly work of his is still Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust in that it's relatively free of that sort of thing, surprisingly removing the incestt/rape that's prominent in the source material. What a world.

Xe4

Banned

I HATE when this picture gets posted. The author chose OVA's, movies, and promotional material and compared them to TV shows. And then there's the fact that he's trying to compare something drawn on threes in anime compared to twos and ones in American animation. I feel like he just did a google search for anime shading and took off images without looking where they came from or why they were that way.

Not to mention there's tons of western animation with fantastic shading and lighting, but that's another matter entirely.

Rydeen

I think the most audience friendly work of his is still Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust in that it's relatively free of that sort of thing, surprisingly removing the incestt/rape that's prominent in the source material. What a world.

Demon City Shinjuku probably is. It's grim and "dark", but it's surprisingly short on gore other than monsters getting killed or blown up, and there's no sex other than a female demon's quick nipple flash.

Theonik

I HATE when this picture gets posted. The author chose OVA's, movies, and promotional material and compared them to TV shows. And then there's the fact that he's trying to compare something drawn on threes in anime compared to twos and ones in American animation. I feel like he just did a google search for anime shading and took off images without looking where they came from or why they were that way.

Not to mention there's tons of western animation with fantastic shading and lighting, but that's another matter entirely.
This was a mocking intended to draw out the people who legit think that for mocking/flogging purposes.

Son1x

I like how the intro slightly changes later in the series, at least the part close to the end with the 3 main female characters. At first (also in the linked one) they're all distant, but later on they're hugging each other or something like that.

I should really re-watch Outlaw Star, its my favorite anime of all times.

1998 was a damn good year for sci fi animes with Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop (started airing in 98, finished in 99) and Trigun.

Xe4

Banned
This was a mocking intended to draw out the people who legit think that for mocking/flogging purposes.

I know, but there are people who think it's serious. Hell I know people who used it as an argument in another thread. It's kind of like that Miazaki troll quote that has been posted around (which I also hate).

Theonik

I know, but there are people who think it's serious. Hell I know people who used it as an argument in another thread. It's kind of like that Miazaki troll quote that has been posted around (which I also hate).
A worthwhile trade.

Jarnet87

I use to own the dvd collection of Record of Lodoss War, can't remember if it was the 13 episode one or the 27 episode one.

Is there a big difference between the two? Just wondering its the same story just with newer animation and expanded. I'll have to check both out.

kaiju

I use to own the dvd collection of Record of Lodoss War, can't remember if it was the 13 episode one or the 27 episode one.

Is there a big difference between the two? Just wondering its the same story just with newer animation and expanded. I'll have to check both out.

The 27 episode one you're referring to is Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, which is the sequel to the original 13 episode series. Depends who you talk to as far as which one is better. I prefer the original.

The Record of Lodoss War OVA is pretty good, and far superior to the TV show. I'd avoid the latter if I were you, to be honest.

Speaking of Kawajiri, he worked on at least one of the three OVA (TV Films ?) adaptations of Hi no Tori/The Firebird in ths 80s - guess which one :

The story of Gao (Karma chapter, by Rintaro) at least is a must watch.
I love the manga, but I've never been a fan of the 2000s anime TV series...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Top Bottom