• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime GAF, need suggestions on fighting anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, is the 2002 Captain Harlock series good?

Second, and reason for this thread, I'm looking for a fighting anime with good animation. Be it "realistic" fighting like Baki or Ippo's or shounen martial arts fights.
I'm just looking for some good well animated fight choreography.

FnordChan

Prime crotch said:

While I never saw the entire series, what I did watch was pretty good, assuming you're fond of Reiji Matsumoto's stuff in the first place. I mean, it's no Arcadia of my Youth, but I still liked it well enough.

Second, and reason for this thread, I'm looking for a fighting anime with good animation. Be it "realistic" fighting like Baki or Ippo's or shounen martial arts fights.

For martial arts and good animation, check out Yawara. She's a fashionable judo girl, don't ya know. For goofier but still somewhat realistic fighting, check out the two-part 80s OVA series Natsuki Crisis.

FnordChan

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Tenjou Tenge anime had some pretty good fight scenes. But I only liked half the series. The series about half real eps, half eps that are flashbacks from some of the characters a few years before the series started). The Flashback episodes were great.

Also not really "fighting" anime, but Black Lagoon had some great fights involving all sorts of gun and blade weapons.

bjork said:
Nothing is better than Fist of the North Star. Total cheese, but the lines are so awesome.
Already seen/read every series, movie out there about it. Only thing missing is the prequel manga and anime. To bad Raijin Comics died, they were doing an excelent job.
DrForester said:
The Tenjou Tenge anime had some pretty good fight scenes. But I only liked half the series. The series about half real eps, half eps that are flashbacks from some of the characters a few years before the series started). The Flashback episodes were great.

Also not really "fighting" anime, but Black Lagoon had some great fights involving all sorts of gun and blade weapons.
The only real good fight on Tenjou Tenge was the first Souchiro against that other kid, the animation quality dropped quit a bit after that one. As for Black Lagoon I was kinda disapointed by it, some nice scenes here and there followed by an awesome bad ass ronin character at the end of 20+ episodes.
Oh and accents were hilarious lol

Prime crotch said:

I thought Airmaster was pretty decent, nothing mindblowing but nice animation and some good battles.

4q4gue.png

bjork

These threads are approximately 900 zillion times easier to help the person if they list what they've seen that's similar to what they're in search of. :\

ZeroTolerance

Relaxed Muscle said:
I thought Airmaster was pretty decent, nothing mindblowing but nice animation and some good battles.

4q4gue.png

I second this. Even though I never got to finish it, the episodes I saw seemed good.

bjork

The only way to see all of Air Master is via arrrrr, no? If so, Fist of the Blue Sky has an anime too, though I hear it was pretty bad. Shame, since the manga was really cool imo.

bjork said:
These threads are approximately 900 zillion times easier to help the person if they list what they've seen that's similar to what they're in search of. :\
From the top of my head

Baki series and OVA
Ippo series and OVA
Saint Seiya
Hokuto no Ken
Tenjo Tenge
Getter Robo (some series had a bit of martial arts)
Mad Bull 34 OVA
Baoh OVA
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure OVA
One Piece movie 6
Street Fighter II

So far that's all I can recall

bjork said:
The only way to see all of Air Master is via arrrrr, no? If so, Fist of the Blue Sky has an anime too, though I hear it was pretty bad. Shame, since the manga was really cool imo.
FotBS is on a hiatus for some reason, only the first episode was subbed at least.

S. L.

Tenjo Tenge is pretty cool, with great style but the story is based on the uncompleted manga so the conclusion is pretty crappy. (and the story in the manga itself is a really huge clusterfuck atm, but the art is oh so awesome :D )

Ikkitousen is pretty cool too.

but seriously "fighting anime" is a really really broad field. you might want to specify a bit more what you enjoy and what not

bjork

No DBZ/Naruto/Bleach? :p

And it doesn't have much as far as physical combat, but the first Golgo 13 movie is pretty cool if you can appreciate the old style animation. :)

Prime crotch said:
FotBS is on a hiatus for some reason, only the first episode was subbed at least.

If you can tolerate HK subs, there's two sets out for it.

S. L. said:
Tenjo Tenge is pretty cool, with great style but the story is based on the uncompleted manga so the conclusion is pretty crappy. (and the story in the manga itself is a really huge clusterfuck atm, but the art is oh so awesome :D )

Ikkitousen is pretty cool too.

but seriously "fighting anime" is a really really broad field. you might want to specify a bit more what you enjoy and what not
I'm looking for well animated fighting choreographys. Be it realistic or world crushing power fights.

bjork said:
No DBZ/Naruto/Bleach? :p

And it doesn't have much as far as physical combat, but the first Golgo 13 movie is pretty cool if you can appreciate the old style animation. :)
Oh yeah those two as well lol, even got all of the DBZ movies on VHS on all it's dubbed glory
http://youtube.com/watch?v=APjwgbDduPA

AAK

Claymore has some entertaining fights.

And watch episodes 48-50, 71, 116-117, 124, and 133 of Naruto and 26 of Shippuuden for some nice choreographed fight scenes.

Tamanon

Banned
Ya know what, I'd say the first few seasons of Bleach are really good as far as fighting anime goes. Basically through the Soul Society arc. Screw the haters!

Dali

I thought Kenichi was pretty enjoyable.

Shura no Toki isn't really shounen, but it is still really good.

Prime crotch said:
I'm looking for well animated fighting choreographys. Be it realistic or world crushing power fights.

Oh yeah those two as well lol, even got all of the DBZ movies on VHS on all it's dubbed glory
http://youtube.com/watch?v=APjwgbDduPA

If you're looking for well-animated Samurai Champloo is good. A fight isn't always guaranteed, but when it happens it looks damn nice. History's Greatest Disciple: Kenichi is standard shounen fare as far as quality of animation (piss-poor to tolerable), but the whole, admittedly cliche, story of Kenichi going from a weakling to the guy that all the kids in his hs want to fight because he is so strong is fun to watch. Shura no Toki generally looks good and has a good story.

Seen Baki already it left me a void that can only be filled with the ocasinal public releases of the manga translations. I need my fix on crazy action fights lol.
They should either make more Baki seasons or at least a Garouden anime.

Dali said:
If you're looking for well-animated Samurai Champloo is good. A fight isn't always guaranteed, but when it happens it looks damn nice. History's Greatest Disciple: Kenichi is standard shounen fare as far as quality of animation (piss-poor to tolerable), but the whole, admittedly cliche, story of Kenichi going from a weakling to the guy that all the kids in his hs want to fight because he is so strong is fun to watch. Shura no Toki generally looks good and has a good story.

What kind of anime is Shura no Toki? Realistic, fantasy world?

Dali

Prime crotch said:
Seen Baki already it left me a void that can only be filled with the ocasinal public releases of the manga translations. I need my fix on crazy action fights lol.

It's realistic. It's about this guy who has this bad-ass ultimate kung fu (no super powers or anything just really strong kung fu) and it follows his descendants through history. The first part involves one of the inheritors fighting Miyamoto Musashi. Then it goes forward to a son or grandson and then it jumps ahead again. Each inheritor has his own story that's framed by real people or events in Japanese history.

Grecco

nilay said:
yu yu hakusho
flame of recca
rurouni kenshin (until end of the kyoto arc then u can give up)

Hated Yu Yu. Loved the other two. Especially Flame of Recca. Probably because i have a soft spot for Ninjas.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MickeyKnox said:
Shura no Toki - Age of Chaos

I don't think I could really recommend that one. The final story arc redeems the series to a large extent (and I'm a giant whore for the bakumatsu in general), but the arcs prior to it are pretty weak.

Fuzzery

Prime crotch said:

Did you see baki s2? Also, Berserk

bjork

Fuzzery said:
Did you see baki s2? Also, Berserk

One time my boss told some customer, "If you like de Berserk, then you looooving Chobits. Chobits gotta lotta action." I lold

Fuzzery

bjork said:
One time my boss told some customer, "If you like de Berserk, then you looooving Chobits. Chobits gotta lotta action." I lold
:lol :lol Maybe he got it confused with that anime with the super fighting robotic maids

bjork

Fuzzery said:
:lol :lol Maybe he got it confused with that anime with the super fighting robotic maids

Nope, he's just got a unique brand of selling people on shit: hand them 35 things, and they'll generally buy at least one. Me, I just wait for them to ask me. If it doesn't sell, I still get paid.

EviLore said:
I don't think I could really recommend that one. The final story arc redeems the series to a large extent (and I'm a giant whore for the bakumatsu in general), but the arcs prior to it are pretty weak.
Oh I don't think it's particularly good (last arc is the best mostly by virtue of having the most amount of time spent on it.) But if I remember correctly it had some rather good combat choreography/animation.

Crocodile

I'm going to have to third Airmaster. Some of the supporting cast are annoying as hell but the fights were off the hook! Awesome show.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah Airmaster was great. Actually I think I still need to watch a few more episodes! :lol Completely forgot.

There's another series that seemed a bit similar to it called "Fighting Beauty Wulong," but I think the fansubbers lost interest after a few episodes.

Ikkitousen is just panty shot after panty shot with some boobs thrown in and a "this makes no sense whatsoever but PANTIES!!!!!!" plot. It's not even panty shots in a stupid silly way like Aika or Najica.

Fuzzery

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah Airmaster was great. Actually I think I still need to watch a few more episodes! :lol Completely forgot.

There's another series that seemed a bit similar to it called "Fighting Beauty Wulong," but I think the fansubbers lost interest after a few episodes.
This wasn't too bad either, decent time burner

Man, I realized I've watched way too many fucking anime...shit

demifiend

Tenjho Tenghe is fun to watch, just don't try and pay any kind of serious attention to the story. It'll make your soul bleed.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Try Karas, it's pretty good, although it's only 6 eps. The animation is top notch. It's weird but the fighting is crazy. The basic plot is that some dudes that are spirits of the city fighting each other with sword. They also can transform into jet and shit. :lol That sounds so crazy.

karas.jpg

Here is a preview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVH83taZ4s0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom