• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian's astounding 'garbage human' moment at Vidcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst part about this is she's doing basic feminism 101 critique. It's nothing out of the ordinary at all. It's something that you can find in movie criticism already.

They are flipping the fuck out over basic "women are people too" shit.

And you can disagree with things she brings up in her videos that's more than fine! That's what social criticism is all about. Start a discourse. She said some things critical of mad max fury road and I disagreed with it but it was *something* to think about!

None of these cum buckets like carl and his ilk care about having a discussion. They see women as lesser people. There is no good faith with them.

Mael

Yea , Link should go looking for Korogs while Zelda saves Hyrule.

Too busy, killing Lynels and preparing the next feast to deal with Koroks

Would rather Zelda get her own game completely. Call it the Legend of Link.
Or better yet get Platinum games to make a Zelda game with Zelda and Sheik.
I don't really care if she gets her own game or not, I really like this design and it should be used for a player character.
And Retro's take on Zelda via using Zelda/Sheik is a much more compelling idea for me...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Personally, all the time. Even at work, it's not in the job description though =P
Even that is too much. Because of that i'm gonna harass you for years, send my cronies after you, and make a living off your suffering. But don't call me out on it. HOW DARE YOU SIR!! I'M THE VICTIM!!!
W0JWKfg.gif
/s Genuinely fuck Carl man.

Ernest

Banned
Anita is fucking legend. It's amazing to see her not stand down, and go to her panels in spite of the legion of Shitlords filling out front rows to document, harass and hate her every move.

Thank God for her.
This!

All these trolls are upset mostly because she has such a strong voice that people listen to, and they have nothing.

Dynasty

I don't really care if she gets her own game or not, I really like this design and it should be used for a player character.
And Retro's take on Zelda via using Zelda/Sheik is a much more compelling idea for me...

Retro game hasnt been announced so one can hope.

The industry does. Devs have worked their asses off for decades improving the technology that powers games. The community however, the loud obnoxious subset as well as the majority that normalizes that subset, does not.

I get your sentiment, but I'd say it's the gaming community that doesn't really deserve her.

The industry is making great progress with regards to better female characters (and more diversity in characters generally) in games, and Anita has definitely played a part in pushing us forward in this way.

You guys are right, of course. But i wouldnt go quite as far as Crossing Eden for example because the industry certainly has done jack shit in regards to GamerGate (denouncing it for one)and all the nasty shit in the culture they are partially responsible for creating. What Steve mentions though has been great to see, about better and more diversified characters. Thats an important step that Anita has helped greatly i think.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is that sarcasm?

It has to be.

Regardless of whatever i feel about the 'reaction' to Clinton on both sides of the isle, Trump was the magnet which woke and attracted all of these people.

I don't want to make a hitler analogy, i really don't....but hitler radicalizing normal people who were without hope or going through tough times in their lives and brainwashing them to follow a specific cause make a specific target an outlet for their aggression is the clear parallel here. Then again, the concept is not new throughout history either.

It goes without saying, but its not a coincidence that the most ignorant parts of the US are also many of the poorest and most suffering.

Crossing Eden

You guys are right, of course. But i wouldnt go quite as far as Crossing Eden for example because the industry certainly has done jack shit in regards to GamerGate (denouncing it for one)and all the nasty shit in the culture they are partially responsible for creating. What Steve mentions though has been great to see, about better and more diversified characters. Thats an important step that Anita has helped greatly i think.
Don't get me wrong, pubs definitely deserve a lot of blame for perpetuating this culture and for not speaking up more about it due to fear of gamer backlash, that's undeniable. But the devs and pubs have been WAY more openly accepting of Anita and her ideals both behind closed doors and out in the open compared to the community.

Anung

Un Rama
What's this stuff I'm hearing about something going down between Anita and Boogie? Could anyone elaborate because I'm curious.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What's this stuff I'm hearing about something going down between Anita and Boogie? Could anyone elaborate because I'm curious.

He was a member here at one point and tried to damage control hard for what gamergate eventually became, going all passive aggressive on stances and such.

Eventually he had a meltdown in a post.

Famassu

I used Twitter just now just to troll Sargon. Let's see if I can get a reaction. I think this is one of the first times I'm using Twitter for anything else but getting a few screenshots out of PS4, participating in some competitions and complementing J'Nique Nicole's awesome performance(s) in Nier Automata's OST.

Anita called him out on his middle-ground BS in a panel.

He was a member here at one point and tried to damage control hard for what gamergate eventually became, going all passive aggressive on stances and such.

Eventually he had a meltdown in a post.

I guess he refers to an episode that happened at vidcon, rather to what happened to Boogie here on GAF?

I mean, I don't expect much of an individual that says we should find a middlepoint with racist, sexist white supremacists on a conversation with Anita.

SomTervo

The worst part about this is she's doing basic feminism 101 critique. It's nothing out of the ordinary at all. It's something that you can find in movie criticism already.

They are flipping the fuck out over basic "women are people too" shit.

And you can disagree with things she brings up in her videos that's more than fine! That's what social criticism is all about. Start a discourse. She said some things critical of mad max fury road and I disagreed with it but it was *something* to think about!

None of these cum buckets like carl and his ilk care about having a discussion. They see women as lesser people. There is no good faith with them.

Yep. Especially the bolded. Well put.

There are a lot of times I've disagreed with her or considered her arguments one-dimensional.

And I entered a discourse. I didn't shit on anything or anyone.

But he's causing a discussion!
Yeah a discussion of how much of a twat he is

Excellent. I imagine this is being used as evidence of Anita being a bully and Boogie is using it to garner sympathy?
Well, yeah, it's Boogie

Like this, imo has nothing to do with feminism, it's just for clicks and in the end money: https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/842043860415008768?lang=de
How is discussing female representation not feminism? How does tweeting earn them money?

Weng

Every time something like this comes up I'm just in awe of how insanely strong and powerful Anita is. Don't know about you guys, but if I received even 1% of the abuse she has, I'd just say "fuck it" and disappear from the Internet forever. She's one of the most resilient people I've ever seen and I have nothing but admiration for her.

What would happen to these assholes if the internet went away? These people like Sargon love attention. It makes them feel like rockstars. And unfortunately, with the internet, Sargon will never be without attention.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wouldn't expect an Anita hater to know the difference between a non-profit and charity.

It was either locked or he was banned (I forget which) because he legit threatened to harm himself if GAF didn't shut up about gamergate. It was not a "funny/let's mock GG" moment. It was really scary.
That's fucking insanity. Hopefully he got the help he needed rather than curling himself back into the alt-right hatred that has warped his world view to that point

Yikes. To act in a professional manner means you need to be a perfectly stoic robot? I didn't realize it was so strict in nature.

She's giving the guy more undeserved attention... which, I would hope we can agree is the last thing something this guy needs. Had it not been for this thread/situation I still wouldn't know who the guy was.

preach on brother. lmao

I mean the ultimate hilarity is one of the most absurd criticisms of Anita is that she's so fake because she talks like a stoic sterile robot... now when she doesn't it's all of a sudden it's why can't she be more professional god.

Xyzzy J

Banned
Can I just point out that that 'shit-posting in real life' is actually just shit talking? It goes to show how disconnected from real life these losers are. They can't even conceptualise their chosen medium of abuse without reference to something that happens on the internet.

I don't want to make a hitler analogy, i really don't....but hitler radicalizing normal people who were without hope or going through tough times in their lives and brainwashing them to follow a specific cause make a specific target an outlet for their aggression is the clear parallel here.

Godwin's Law doesn't really apply when you are linking two almost identical sets of historical facts, haha.

It's a fucking terrible argument. This idea that she doesn't believe in what she writes, she just writes things for clicks because that's how internet revenue works (It's not) and she needs the traffic? It's like...yes, that's how web traffic works in 2017, social media plugs into your work.

It was only one example and i didn't want to base it on if she is payed or not, i don't really care about that and i have no problem with people earning money. Its just that some of those tweets i really see farfetched, even damaging to the real matter. It can be she really believes that, well her opinion. I don't see it usefull in any way and disagree, that's all.

It should be ban worthy tof not even read the first post. Either you didn't or youre doing this on purpose which is even worse.

I think you didn't understand the context of my posting, because i don't see anything really offending in it. I didn't write that the actions of those altrights were right, they weren't.

I mean, you could just not follow her.

Hell, you can add her twitter feed to your ignore list if it really bothers you.

It will get retweeted, i would have to unfollow many gamerfriends from every political side. And it doesn't ruin my life to be honest, i'm not outraged, why would I? i just disagree and have my opinion on people like this, making a sexism debatte out of everything. Harassment is a different thing and it's her right to be angry about it. That doesn't mean I can't criticise her.

Putting aside that this is a loaded, disingenious question which doesn't deserve an answer... no.

It only displays your screwed priorities, attacking a harrassed person because you disagree with said person.

Then... don't answer it?

Should i pretend I like her? Why? Also i reacted to another user with that post, not to the case. She has not deserved to be harrassed, no one has. That I will state clearly. Also in my opinion no one should be called human excrement (one of the first postings in this thread). People are outraged about guys with shitty behaviour and show behaviour that's shitty too. Some people react like this was a murder case.

I mean the ultimate hilarity is one of the most absurd criticisms of Anita is that she's so fake because she talks like a stoic sterile robot... now when she doesn't it's all of a sudden it's why can't she be more professional god.
This is too true. Suddenly she has some passion to her, and I bet you without reading comments that there are at least a handful of comments calling her a bitch. Now I'm curious...time to go look at comments. I'm afraid what will happen if I stay too long in the abyss.

Nepenthe

People are outraged about guys with shitty behaviour and show behaviour that's shitty too. Some people react like this was a murder case.

Tolerance is not an perpetual moral code.

It's a contract that says you won't be shitty to people who are not a present harm to you or others, else you reap the consequences of social ostracization the moment you break it.

Sargon and his ilk have long since broken that contract by making an actual living off of harassing a woman and her followers for talking about video games in a way they don't like.

They deserve to be called human excrement, and more.

Crossing Eden

Dude, why are you doing this considering that last time you concern trolled in an Anita Sarkesian thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=235150999&highlight=#post235150999
Just gonna assume that he saw how everyone outright scoffed at the hitman example being used ITT to try and discredit her so he decided to go for the "she makes money" angle.

I can't believe there was someone defending Milo in this thread

We need an Anita thread bingo or something. It's amazing how predictable these people are
We already have one.

Budi

Excellent. I imagine this is being used as evidence of Anita being a bully and Boogie is using it to garner sympathy?
To be absolutely fair, no. I watched the video where Boogie talked about Anita and him at Vidcon. Boogie says that it's blown out of proportion and he wasn't "attacked" by Anita as some claim. And that they had 15 minutes of nice chat afterwards. But Boogie still stands right on the middle. And ofcourse some of his fans (and those who just want to sling mud at Anita) are using this against her. Boogie isn't doing it.

Boogie wasn't painting Anita as a "raging feminazi" or anything close to that.

KaoteK

Sargon is a know nothing piece of shit, fuck that guy and everyone like him.

If you have time, check out him getting his arse handed to him by a feminist who did decide to debate him. He's certainly nowhere near as "rational" and "intelligent" as he likes to project.

https://youtu.be/eZEe4PSLCoY

Toxi

Banned
I find it funny that "calling out the regressive left" is a fucking cottage industry at this point and yet everything Anita does is for the money.
At this point, I don't expect someone who whines about the "regressive left" to be particularly left-wing on, well, anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom