• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another hint to Halo 3 Anniversary from 343i

etta

my hard graphic balls
Halo 3 is my favourite of the series so consider me interested. What are the chances of this coming to PC aswell?

High.

Halo 3 will bring a lot of attention on PC, and will butter people up for Halo 6 on PC. It's a smart move I think, bringing the titan there.

emrober5

Do we really need a Halo 3 Remaster?

The version on Master Chief Collection is a 1080p, 60 FPS Xbox 360 game and that's good enough for me.

I'd much rather see Halo Reach get the 1080p, 60 FPS remaster upgrade and then move on to Halo 6.

Halo 3 is pretty ugly, especially when you play it right after H2A. So yes, yes we do.

psyfi

Banned
Open E3 2017 with it.
Or maybe at the Scorpio event in April-May, but I think they might save it for E3 and blow the roof off.
Could Halo 3 really "blow the roof off"? It doesn't have the advantage of being the first remake like CEA, or being packaged with three other games like H2A. They're gonna have to do something special to make H3A compelling.

Or maybe not. I'm a huge Halo fan, but not a huge fan of Halo 3, and sometimes I forget how insane the hype was for it back in 2007. A lot of people still adore it. Maybe it can do fine on nostalgia alone.

Halo 3's graphics are fine as-is IMO - If it really needs an update it should just be to put H2A's assets in Halo 3.

Still holding out for that mythical MCC Win10 port.

Oh, and Blur should go ahead and redo the cinematics for Halo CE, too. CEA had atrocious cutscenes...

How dare you insult JFKeyes.

i would rather they fix MCC completely, port it to PC, and then add Halo 3 anniversary to that. keep the player base together please.

psyfi

Banned
I thought it was better than 2 but still weak. Halo 1 for me.
Yeah, I feel the same. CE and ODST are the only campaigns I really enjoy replaying these days, but mostly just CE. Halo 3 MP is pretty bad and I have no interest in playing it again. I'd be down for a new content update to Halo 5 with "Halo 3 inspired maps and gameplay" though. Turn off some/all spartan abilities, and bring back The Pit, Guardian, Citadel, and a few others.

MCC really soured me on the halo games but if they do plan to remaster halo 3, at least make it a stand alone game with a LOT of effort involved so it's not buggy and runs well, and make it for a scorpio so the visuals can have a HUGE bump up.

Honestly I think mcc ruined any real chance of a halo remaster appearing any time soon.

If this is happening it should be integrated into an updated/working version of MCC which also includes Halo 5 stuff and Reach as DLC. Halo 1&3 updated with blur cutscenes. And then finally graphically all of the main games will be on par.

Also, add 4 player split screen stuff to Halo 5 on Scorpio at the very least if not on Xbox One. And make all of the split screen modes run at 60fps.
Oh, and Halo 6 multiplayer should be part of the MCC hub as well IMO. Similar to what Battlefield is doing.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Could Halo 3 really "blow the roof off"? It doesn't have the advantage of being the first remake like CEA, or being packaged with three other games like H2A. They're gonna have to do something special to make H3A compelling.

Or maybe not. I'm a huge Halo fan, but not a huge fan of Halo 3, and sometimes I forget how insane the hype was for it back in 2007. A lot of people still adore it. Maybe it can do fine on nostalgia alone.

Yea, if priced accordingly, say $29.99-$39.99. It's still regarded as the best Halo, it was a massive titan back in its day. If they give it the anniversary treatment and have an open beta for multiplayer and show that they're taking the multiplayer component seriously, it could be a huge release. Maybe have it packed in with every Scorpio as well.

Spade

As much as I love Halo 3 (and the series), I'd very much prefer they fix the MCC. It'd be a bonus if we could get it released on PC.

Make this happen. Embrace the Bungie art style, but make this the best fucking looking game on the Xbox platform. Go all Scorpio with it.

Also, include MCC (and patch that shit up some more!) and perhaps a Halo 3 themed Halo 5 MP expansion.

Edit* Or if not MCC (though they should), release it with Halo 3 ODST..remastered. This time include Firefight, with matchmaking and better netcode. Actually, yeah definitely do this one.

Yea thinking about it some more I don't think I would be interested in another version of Halo 3. If they absolutely had to tie a Halo 6 beta to something a paid expansion pack for Halo 5 would be much better. Not sure what they would put in it though as campaign content would probably be too costly and time-consuming.

Kill3r7

Yea, especially if they go nuts with the graphics, take full advantage of the Scorpio, but unlikely since they will probably just do the best they can with Xbox One's hardware at 1080p/60 and then the Scorpio version will be running it at 4K/60.

The more I think of it though, holy fucking shit, some of the best gaming experiences in my life happened in late 2007. And it can happen again, all three titles remastered and looking fantastic.

nBtmbia.png

M59iVYU.png

DkUyChL.png

Please please please let H3A be real.

Ditto. Although, you forgot Orange Box in October and SMG a few days before COD4.

EvB

I love halo 5, but the graphics, even in 4k, wont make it that much prettier. We've already seen the videos the PC version will have with Forge and the 4k versions are nothing to gasp about. :(

Halo 3 would look better in a newer engine with better lighting capabilities than it's original engine with some high resolution textures.

I'd like to see a full on remake rather then the 2 for 1 graphics switching of the last 2 games.

HTupolev

Halo 3 would look better in a newer engine with better lighting capabilities than it's original engine
Halo 5's lighting has some serious drawbacks compared with Halo 3's, though. There doesn't seem to be any directional modulation for area cubemaps (ditto for Halo 4), resulting in a weird kind of hazy rim lighting and reflections from nowhere. It's also surprisingly low-precision, there's a lot of posterization.

Halo 5's lighting advantages are mostly tighter materials and increased throughput.

Yeah, I find Halo 3's lighting to be way more appealing.. there are a few effects from Halo 5 I'd like to see applied alongside them, though.

The biggest thing Halo 3A would need to do is a completely revamped Polycount, with matching texture work.. though even some of Halo 3's textures and foliage is damn solid on close inspection.

Buntabox

Halo 3's lighting makes that game. Some of the models were bad even by 2007 standards. Still has my favorite chief model though. Something about the combination of lighting, color, reflective qualities, visor and general helmet geometry all come together. Even with the rest being really lackluster looking.

Ive played Halo 3 more times than I can count. As much as CE probably. Remaster would be welcome.

jelly

Halo 3 would look better in a newer engine with better lighting capabilities than it's original engine with some high resolution textures.

I'd like to see a full on remake rather then the 2 for 1 graphics switching of the last 2 games.

Yeah, the graphic switch needs to go and I would say all three if they use the power for better performance. Halo 2A isn't 1080p native and I still wish they would redo Halo CEA to something more in line with the original art style. By all means keep the old graphics of the games as a menu toggle but no switch to push the new games performance to the best it can be.

I'm not sure if they can make most of MCC as is. Would porting that to PC even be possible for varied hardware?

Could they put serious effort into a Halo CEA, Halo 2A, Halo 3A/ODST, Reach Anniversary, Halo 4 for Xbox and Windows 10. They've used all this time to redo it and offer something much better for current and new owners. Pay a fair price to upgrade MCC with Reach, Halo 3A, through gritted teeth accept the bug fixes and improvements to MCC. Release on PC.

Then when the Halo 6 train ramps up, you'll hopefully have new consumer interest, fans back on side because you did the right thing and fixed and went the extra mile on MCC. Pre order Halo 6 and get Halo 5 Guardians on PC. Boom, everyone is on the same page. Halo community bigger, on the up. One can dream.

Welfare

Only way they can get away with it is if it is a free upgrade to the MCC and Halo 5 gets a free Halo 3 inspired content update. You can sell it separately for $30 for those that don't have the MCC.

Village

halo is a seires that changed who I am as a person, Its one of my inspirations as an artist and have given several hours, days, years to that series. Halo 3 is my favorite.

343i

If this is real, please don't mess this up

HTupolev

I'm confused. Didn't they already update halo 3 with the master chief collection?
Halo 3 MCC is a port, not a remaster.

Although it certainly wouldn't hurt if they'd fix some of the remaining quirks with the MCC version. Like making the the audio filtering/mixing and the tone mapping match the original game.

Oh cool, you fuck up the Halo 2 anniversary by including it in a broken collection, and now you wanna give Halo 3 the proper anniversary that 2 deserved.

How about you fix TMCC first instead.

Leyasu

Banned

Agreed. Hopefully they will drop that and make it special on scorpio, and get the xbone version done as best as is possible on that hardware.

343 wont be doing this I would imagine..

Day one for me anyway.

This better be the reason we don't have Halo 3 on steam yet

Because not doing that is one of the most stupid decision Microsoft have ever made and I hope whoever made that decision is no longer working for them

wwm0nkey

This better be the reason we don't have Halo 3 on steam yet

Because not doing that is one of the most stupid decision Microsoft have ever made and I hope whoever made that decision is no longer working for them

You are only going to see Halo on PC on Windows 10, better get used to that.

They were testing 3 out on Steam forever ago but it never turned into anything

Halo 3 MCC is a port, not a remaster.

Although it certainly wouldn't hurt if they'd fix some of the remaining quirks with the MCC version. Like making the the audio filtering/mixing and the tone mapping match the original game.

yeah, had to adjust my TV to get the colors looking better.

Defect

I definitely do not want to go back to that shitty multiplayer but they should include the original and a 'new' multiplayer using Halo 5's engine. Obviously no sprint or abilities but fix the sandbox and remake most of the maps.

Oh and 1-50 pls

Granjinha

Halo 3 is the best in the series. I would buy this day 1 for sure. Such an amazing game.

Halo 3 is my favourite of the series so consider me interested. What are the chances of this coming to PC aswell?

If it is real, it will 100% come to PC.

Top Bottom