• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

KingBroly

Banned
How on earth do you do this room with all the dash bits?
sPXxIVH.jpg

I've tried saving the shinespark and dropping down into the pit, but... I don't get it :S

How do I get that one item
above the purple-colored pathway?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. Now I need to figure out how to get into the
Gray Door

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I did a post explaining the shinespark mechanics about two pages back!

There it is, with the gfy explaining it all:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=212741637

And an addendum to that post: you can hold down Jump longer to gain a bit more height before Shinesparking. In the tunnel in which you need to ballspark however you want to keep as low as you can to hit the slope, not the ceiling!

I still thoroughly don't understand. When I morphball dash it just thuds against the diagonal bits of the tunnel...

Pehesse

Has anyone figured out how to activate the stones that normally require those electric balls?
Someone posted one of the areas before:

There's no electric ball there, nor is there a way that I can tell to get into the area where the mechanism is.

After you activate the electric balls, it spawns at the top right, you need to move it around using missile blasts from below.

collige

Banned
I managed to make it past the first two sets of speed dash walls when you jump down, but then I'm stuck where you need to use a dash in a morph ball space...

EDIT: Okay, I saw the gif above...How are you maintaining the shine spark after doing a dash!? It looks like I had the right idea at the end, though, but I always just got hit the wall and not have the ball follow the windy part before.

I've done that one. Tip: you can exit screw attack during a jump by pressing up.

LordAlu

Tips to get past this? I definitely don't have enough room to speed boost past this, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

J4j9qpr.png

NTXoG55.png
In the very large room to the left of that one, there is a platform at a slightly higher height than the door, that is long enough to get a shinespark.

Exit the room you're in, turn around and shoot the door, then space jump to the platform to the left. From the left edge, run right and store a charge. Drop off the edge by two blocks and shinespark right, through the open door. Store the charge again, instant morph and drop a PB, then drop down and shinespark right through the speed blocks.

I do it here if you want a video.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Has anyone figured out how to activate the stones that normally require those electric balls?
Someone posted one of the areas before:

There's no electric ball there, nor is there a way that I can tell to get into the area where the mechanism is.
I did that just a few minues ago. There is an orb in that room, way up top. You can direct it with rockets. The section in the middle has to be taken down with a powerbomb.

Ourobolus

Banned
I did that just a few minues ago. There is an orb in that room, way up top. You can direct it with rockets. The section in the middle has to be taken down with a powerbomb.
Got it. This is my second playthrough so I haven't made it to the tower yet to turn on the machine. Makes sense now though

TheMoon

who cares if it is a remake. Metroid itself was a re-imagining of Alien and a bunch of sci fi stuff. all art is influenced by something that came before it. the team behind AM2R are virtuosos in the field of making games.

compare this to Metroid II. this basically is an original game.

lol i played the original on Gameboy back when you couldn't even SEE Super Mario Land without holding it at the exact perfect angle if the sun was out. i remember not being able to see outside of a very tiny window, making it easy to get lost simply jumping from one ledge to the next. not to mention the lack of a map?

i remember beating that game but also that it was very frustrating at times. this plays like a dream. plus it has a million little details that ARE unique to this specific remake. things like hanging off ledges. not having to even DO anything to save the game if u want to just jump on the pedestal and wait a half a second.

You wanted them to make a wholly original game so the work you're basing this off of being a remake that mixes a prettier version of one game with gameplay elements from a later sequel of the same series and some convenience features really does matter a lot. Btw, hanging off of ledges is not unique to this remake. That's from Fusion/Zero Mission.

Not saying they'd be incapable of a good original but you seem to be very much in the honeymoon phase right now. :)

Psxphile

I like how this remake turns the Zeta Metroids from cheap flying annoyances in Metroid II into a legitimate walking threat.

KingBroly

Banned
Yep. Much later.

Alright

I''m guessing it's
Screw Attack related because of the blocks I uncovered

BTW, putting this game in your Steam Library, allowing you to launch it from Steam, gives you the ability to upload screenshots. That's awesome.

You wanted them to make a wholly original game so the work you're basing this off of being a remake that mixes a prettier version of one game with gameplay elements from a later sequel of the same series and some convenience features really does matter a lot. Btw, hanging off of ledges is not unique to this remake. That's from Fusion/Zero Mission.

Not saying they'd be incapable of a good original but you seem to be very much in the honeymoon phase right now. :)

i probably am =)

i don't know much about this game or gamemaker tbh. i haven't played through the post-Super Metroid games, does this just re-use sprites from those? i was under the impression all the sprites and tilework was original or at least adapted from the GB original.

i have gone back to look at levels in the GB original and the layouts are similar but the art is almost completely different and geometry seems to have been heavily altered for nearly every screen/area. it is obvious they had to do a LOT of level design to make this work.

TheMoon

i probably am =)

i don't know much about this game or gamemaker tbh. i haven't played through the post-Super Metroid games, does this just re-use sprites from those? i was under the impression all the sprites and tilework was original or at least adapted from the GB original.

i have gone back to look at levels in the GB original and the layouts are similar but the art is almost completely different and geometry seems to have been heavily altered for nearly every screen/area. it is obvious they had to do a LOT of level design to make this work.

Here's an example right on this page:

I found the room from the Metroid Fusion Intro!

AM2R:

AM2R-Fusion%20Easter%20Egg.png~original

Metroid Fusion:

Fusion%20Intro.png~original

Most sprites were redrawn, especially character/enemies since they didn't exist in this high detail before but you can also see direct copies from existing sprites/tiles of the other games (that one large plant and some of the rock formations are 1:1 recolored copies). Don't mistake the spritework for level-design though. :) Again, not saying they didn't do anything of worth here, they obviously did adjust spaces and whatnot to work with the different physics and added some new passages (this is me assuming things based on what I've seen since I don't remember every single bit from Metroid 2^^).

Opa-Pa

One detail I love about the game is that they made Samus' power suit look 'alive' again like it does in Super Metroid. I don't really remember that being a thing in Zero Mission, maybe from SA-X in Fusion? Or did the dev team made it especially for AM2R? Either way it looks great.

I'm probably going to try and play through Metroid 2 after I beat this, like I did for Zero Mission and Metroid 1.
If you're gonna emulate make sure you try it with one of the fan-made color patches. They really add a lot to the game.

Gvitor

I have more than 200 missiles and 12 super missiles, I'm barely missing, and I can't beat the Queen.
In her third phase I ran out of missiles and the game didn't give me any, so I just stood there waiting to die...

Delstius

I have more than 200 missiles and 12 super missiles, I'm barely missing, and I can't beat the Queen.
In her third phase I ran out of missiles and the game didn't give me any, so I just stood there waiting to die...

After being shot a couple of time she spit some spores things that drop health/missiles, refill with that.

VandalD

Did you
have power bombs?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Are you sure?
The Queen for me just either did the "Rawr stretch neck" attack or spit these balls that you can shoot to get more ammo and health

It's not a dead end boss.

Nottle

Just beat the game! Awesome work!

I had 97% item completion all on my own and beat it in a little over 6 hours.

If anyone has a link to picture or videos of the better endings please post them or PM me.

Gvitor

After being shot a couple of time she spit some spores things that drop health/missiles, refill with that.

I've been screw attacking those things. They disappear without dropping anything. Shooting them doesn't drop items either. You're talking about the things that she starts shooting 3, then 4, then 5, right?

Pehesse

What difficulty mode? Aren't the green bullets she spews giving you stuff? Also, that's about how it was in the original :-D Never felt comfortable fighting her with less than 180 missiles!

Defect

Are the blobs she spits out not giving you refills? They should. I beat it on Hard with around 100 missiles.

Also can anyone tell me how many collectibles there are for 100%? I have 114 missiles, 7 super missiles, and 9 power bombs and I have 93% completion.

KHlover

Banned
If you played Other M you should know a way to defeat it using less missiles :)

Pakkidis

I seem to be stuck again. I am at the part where you get

The variation suit (underwater suit) I defeated all the metroids, I go down to the next section but its blocked by some gooey thing, I am assuming I need the ice beat or something else to get past, I can't seem to progress further..

Another thing, after you do a shine spark can you change directions mid spark? I.e I go horizontal but then I want to go straight up.

Gvitor

Yeah, they're not giving me refills of any kind...

If you played Other M you should know a way to defeat it using less missiles :)

You mean
powerbombing her from inside? Iirc that was the way in the OG M2 as well, but doesn't she need to stick her neck out? As in, the move to finish her?

Kansoku

Beat it. 92%, 5:51 and some seconds (although at least 1h30m of that is times when I left it open without pausing.)

Here's my map:
http://i.imgur.com/UVBaEn5.png

No idea where the 8% is. I know it was 1 energy tank. I had 18 Super Missiles and 18 Power Bomb, so I'm sure I missed 1 of each as well. And 230 missiles, so I guess I missed 4 expansions.

Gvitor

Alright, tried again, found out what I was doing wrong. Missiling those things didn't work, and only shooting didn't either. They have to freeze and then shatter, otherwise they'd just disappear, same with the screw attack, and not drop anything.

Finished the game, 84%. Bloody fantastic job by this team. They made Metroid 2 great, somehow.

Happy birthday, Samus. See you next mission, someday.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Damn I totally missed this last night, just started into it today...This is a fantastic labor of love, you can tell these guys "get" Metroid. I'm so much more into this than I ever got into the GB original, the only game in the series I've never played start to finish (aside from Other M)

Oidisco

There's a Super Missile expansion in the dark area with all the Gamma Metroids and I have no idea how to get it. I feel like I've tried everything Nevermind. There was a single block that I missed I guess.

Anyways got through the Dark area and honestly I didn't really like it. The Metroid battles aren't great to begin with, and making them hard to see only makes them more annoying than anything else. All the other boss battles have been fantastic though.

Zunnoab

Neo Member
Just got to
the Tower. Them Zetas are no joke and it's basically certain doom if you let it pin you to the wall.
A tip that many do not realize (and to be fair I only know from looking at the Twitter for the game):
If you are knocked down hit jump just as Samus hits the ground. It lets her nearly instantly recover. Use that to escape if pinned. I know that works on
Zetas but I haven't fought Omegas yet.

Top Bottom