• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

Opa-Pa

Damn, that
escape
sequence in the tower area was pretty awesome...
Until I ran out of time when you're passing through those slow automated doors (not sure if it's scripted, but it did feel like the bar filled way faster once I was there) and then got killed by a regular mob on my way to the nearest save room because you're left with 5HP >_>

Sucks because it's lenghty and I'll have to do it all over again and thus not remember it fondly.

Defect

Damn, that
escape
sequence in the tower area was pretty awesome...
Until I ran out of time when you're passing through those slow automated doors (not sure if it's scripted, but it did feel like the bar filled way faster once I was there) and then got killed by a regular mob on my way to the nearest save room because you're left with 5HP >_>

Sucks because it's lenghty and I'll have to do it all over again and thus not remember it fondly.

It's scripted. Once it blows up, go back down there for an energy tank.

VariantX

Im thinking I'm nearing the end. Ran into the first Omega and got completely owned. You're totally fucked if he knocks you out of the room and you've used most of your resources in that first encounter. No wonder you get so many missiles, you're going to need to hit the targets with what seems like a million shots to kill them.

TheMoon

Is this the finished game or is this a demo?

Should the "version 1.0" and this sentence on the blog with the download not tell you what this is? :)

Finally. This is the first full release of AM2R. You'll be able to complete Metroid 2 like you never did before.

Not the first time I'm seeing this asked here. Don't be lazy, people, click on things! :)

Opa-Pa

It's scripted. Once it blows up, go back down there for an energy tank.

Haha yeah I just found it. It's ironic, I was 100% sure I had to go back for some hidden item, but thought there would still be enemies so I went to save first just in case lol.

Eyothrie

Which beam am I missing? I have the
charge, ice, spazer, and plasma

I'm actually not sure where to go now either :/

Ourobolus

Banned

Wave Beam. Which you've definitely gone past since it's the second one, progression-wise.

It's on the far right of the map, the area where you...drain the water? I think?

rekameohs

Banned

Wave beam is way back near the start where you can go into the water pipes. If you have ice, you should be ready to enter the final area from the Main Cavern.

Where is the ice beam?

Nevermind, FINALLY found it. Man this game is hard if you don't look carefully.

that's actually kind of weird, because the original game (that I played using the gamecube - gameboy converter a few years ago) was actually really straightforward. Originally I had thought to play it using a guide since the first game (the NES one) is complete shit on that end, but Metroid 2 had a very natural flow to it. Go to area, kick out metroids, lava drops, move to next area. It was surprisingly easy in how it flowed and felt like 'the real Super Metroid' before Super Metroid became the golden standard.
Then again, its design is also in just two colors (or greyscale? I don't recall), making it easy to see things whereas Fusion's and Zero Mission's spritework sometimes confuses me.

btw, in OG Metroid 2
there is a second ice beam if you didn't get it before or no longer have it, just above the final metroid (queen) area. I don't recall needing it, but it's there just in case. I believe you pass by it if you bail out on the queen fight as well.
. I might be remembering this wrong though. Been years, etc.

How are the Omega's in this though? Fusion design or just the floating fire-ball thrower from the original (which are kind of uninteresting in that you just missile-spam them, while occasionally dodging, if I recall correctly). Fusion's was epic by contrast.

edit: also, I am amazed that this one, after all this time, actually made it. Impressive commitment.

that's actually kind of weird, because the original game (that I played using the gamecube - gameboy converter a few years ago) was actually really straightforward. Originally I had thought to play it using a guide since the first game (the NES one) is complete shit on that end, but Metroid 2 had a very natural flow to it. Go to area, kick out metroids, lava drops, move to next area. It was surprisingly easy in how it flowed and felt like 'the real Super Metroid' before Super Metroid became the golden standard.
Then again, its design is also in just two colors (or greyscale? I don't recall), making it easy to see things whereas Fusion's and Zero Mission's spritework sometimes confuses me.

btw, in OG Metroid 2
there is a second ice beam if you didn't get it before or no longer have it, just above the final metroid (queen) area. I don't recall needing it, but it's there just in case. I believe you pass by it if you bail out on the queen fight as well.
. I might be remembering this wrong though. Been years, etc.

How are the Omega's in this though? Fusion design or just the floating fire-ball thrower from the original (which are kind of uninteresting in that you just missile-spam them, while occasionally dodging, if I recall correctly). Fusion's was epic by contrast.

AM2R is set up in the same design as the original, with the ever present lava sort of being the guide for the player. Once you beat an are, the lava falls signalling for you to go deeper in SR388.

I don't believe that the 2nd Ice Beam is in the remake, since you need it at least twice to even get to the
queen

Also, the Omegas are very reminiscent of Fusion and are pretty tough when you first meet them. Once you figure out how to abuse their AI their a cake walk though. I was terrified with the first encounter and how it was set up (SO GOOD).

Also
why haven't I seen anyone talking about the blatant and amazing Alien reference with the GF Thor (or whatever it's called) in the overworld. I thought that was such an amazing touch, and the Genesis was a pretty darn hard fight too.

rekameohs

Banned
AM2R's Omegas would eat Fusion's for a snack and use Metroid 2's as a toothpick.

It looks like they share Metroid 2's weak spot on their back for a quick kill since it opens up when they jump, but I was never able to hit it.

Fudo Myo

Just wanted to shout out, and I hope the devs are reading this thread, that this game is fucking AMAZING! The soundtrack is phenomenal, the controls are tight, love the sprite work, I will be playing this to completion and then some. Absolutely loving this. Devs, you are gods.

Nintendo, take note. This is what we want! Fuck Federation Force!

AM2R's Omegas would eat Fusion's for a snack and use Metroid 2's as a toothpick.

It looks like they share Metroid 2's weak spot on their back for a quick kill since it opens up when they jump, but I was never able to hit it.

Yeah, you can still hit that weak spot on the back. Makes things a little quicker, provided you have decent aim.

The only Metroid species I really had an issue with were the Gammas, since just like in OG Metroid II, their weak point is a pain in the ass to hit. I liked all of them though, and unlike the original game, they're all a threat in their own way and they compliment the traditional boss encounters well.

I'm so glad one of my favorite Metroid games was finally done justice.

Gvitor

The first Omega was hard af. The set-up was incredible, but it was damn hard since it's a new fight and he can throw you out of the area and you can't go back to the save point or refill missiles.
You can actually go past him to grab a super missile tank expansion and it will refill your super missiles.

Also felt like the AI on that one was more agressive.

The latter ones were pretty easy. Short hops+super missiles did the trick.

Eyothrie

I have all items now, but I can't get past this
H66s0TG.png

Metroid counter still shows 5. Do I need to go find them before getting past this?

Ōkami

I'm going to replay this now.

Has anyone got a map with the location for super missile upgrades?

I only found 2 on the whole game, fighting 3 Omega Metroids with only 6 super missiles was no fun.

rekameohs

Banned
The first Omega was hard af. The set-up was incredible, but it was damn hard since it's a new fight and he can throw you out of the area and you can't go back to the save point or refill missiles.
You can actually go past him to grab a super missile tank expansion and it will refill your super missiles.

Also felt like the AI on that one was more agressive.

The latter ones were pretty easy. Short hops+super missiles did the trick.
Yeah, the setup for the first one is so perfect. The original pulled off the same trick and I loved it there, too
where you go through long cave, only to find an Alpha there, which makes the lava rise, then you loop around and surprise! Omega's spitting in your face
, and this game made it even better.

Ourobolus

Banned
One thing I miss from the original is the sound/music when you enter the final area, and you think you're done with the metroids since the counter reads zero, and then all of a sudden the counter starts freaking out and suddenly shows up with NINE.

Kinda takes the wind out of the moment with
A) the total number on the map screen including the final 9
B) the HUD counter just goes from 00 to 09 without all the wigging out

Griss

I have all items now, but I can't get past this
H66s0TG.png

Metroid counter still shows 5. Do I need to go find them before getting past this?

It's awesome that I haven't played AM2R at all (Mac), but know exactly where and what that is from having played the Game Boy version as a child.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having difficulty replicating this. When you charge a beam and then go into morph ball mode, how do you made the bombs appear in a straight line above your head rather than scatter around?

AM2R is set up in the same design as the original, with the ever present lava sort of being the guide for the player. Once you beat an are, the lava falls signalling for you to go deeper in SR388.
They really need to make that more apparent - I played quite a while, kept getting earthquakes and never knowing what they represented except that I had cleared an area of Metroids, until I got totally stuck (and frustrated) with 28 Metroids left. I kept going everywhere to figure out what I was missing, except the lava area because I had already explored all I could in that area and hadn't gotten anything that would let me advance through lava. My first thought once I finally went back to the lava area was "What the heck? Where did the lava go?" I didn't figure it out until I cleared the next area and the lava that was in that room was gone.

Oidisco

Just got to the Tower and fought the
Bullet-Hell Boss
. While the Metroid fights are annoying, the rest of the boss fights are really creative and alot of fun.

Beat it with 94% items acquired. Oh well. I really enjoyed the final segment. And what a game it was overall! I would kill for more Metroid games made with this "engine".

Now back to a life without Metroid.

They really need to make that more apparent - I played quite a while, kept getting earthquakes and never knowing what they represented except that I had cleared an area of Metroids, until I got totally stuck (and frustrated) with 28 Metroids left. I kept going everywhere to figure out what I was missing, except the lava area because I had already explored all I could in that area and hadn't gotten anything that would let me advance through lava. My first thought once I finally went back to the lava area was "What the heck? Where did the lava go?" I didn't figure it out until I cleared the next area and the lava that was in that room was gone.

To be fair it was pretty apparent after the first earthquake since you had to go back into a room that had lava in it previously. There's also kind of a hint in the log book once the first earthquake lowers the lava. Nothing saying "hey go here", but that's the beauty of Metroidvania games!

butman

I want to give a shot to this franchise in his 2D form.
So nowadays the best way to play it would be:

1. Metroid Zero Mission
2. Another Metroid 2 Remake
3. Super Metroid
4. Metroid Fusion

It's that correct?

Opa-Pa

Finished the new underwater section just now. Wow that was pretty damn good, the people behind this game are something else.

1. Metroid Zero Mission
3. Super Metroid
4. Metroid Fusion

It's that correct?

Yes.

I'm so glad we live in a world where fans don't tell newcomers to completely ignore Metroid 2 anymore.

So Nowadays the best way to play it would be:

1. Metroid Zero Mission
3. Super Metroid
4. Metroid Fusion

It's that correct?

If you're looking to play them in canon order, yes. But I'd highly suggest playing Super Metroid first, then Zero, AM2R and Fusion after. It'd be very difficult to transition from the fluid movement of the newer games and then go into Super. Don't get me wrong, it's easily the best (in my opinion because nostalgia and impact), but the controls are a bit outdated.

rekameohs

Banned

1. Metroid Zero Mission
3. Super Metroid
4. Metroid Fusion

It's that correct?
The series has such little story that with the gameplay additions, the best order might be the order of release: Super, Fusion, Zero Mission, AM2R. Plus, starting the series with Super is one hell of an introduction.

But yes, that is the story order.

To be fair it was pretty apparent after the first earthquake since you had to go back into a room that had lava in it previously. There's also kind of a hint in the log book once the first earthquake lowers the lava. Nothing saying "hey go here", but that's the beauty of Metroidvania games!
Only apparent if you actually went to that room before going to the first Metroid...

Is there some kind of trick for the Metroid Queen? I used like 100 super missiles on her but the fight is still going on.
What stage of the fight are you on? I felt like there were 4. Keep pelting her with missiles until she does a completely new attack. You can damage her when her crest isn't glowing. I didn't realize until the end that I could shoot the green blobs with my ice beam and get more super missiles from them.

WutBUP9.jpg

When u FINALLY find that one hole in a wall that leads to your next stretch of progress,the one that was in your face all along.

Top Bottom