• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

Seishin

I have been waiting for this for so long.

I cannot believe it's finally being released.

I also cannot believe that it didn't get a C&D.

What fortunate luck.

Looks like the only controller I have that seems to register D-Pad movements in the demo is my 360 controller, which sucks, since the 360 D-Pad is garbage, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Finally, after almost a decade this game will finally release. I only let myself play the first demo, but it was so good that if I didn't know it was a fangame I'd believe it was made by Nintendo.

So I became really excited last month when I saw that countdown on the webpage. Everyone can finally play Metroid 2 with a modern control scheme.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looks like the only controller I have that seems to register D-Pad movements in the demo is my 360 controller, which sucks, since the 360 D-Pad is garbage, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.
The demo uses xinput I'm pretty sure, so just set up an Xpadder profile for one of your other controllers and it should work fine.

For what it's worth I had zero issues using the 360 d-pad, could wall jump just fine, I've spent a couple years breaking the d-pad in though.

Btw. Can anyone suggest me thr best Super Metroid Mods/Hacks to bring it closser to the quality of Fusion and Zero Mission?

It's the only 2d metroid I never finished so I'm mostly interested in flavor and control improvement mods. Don't want any increase in difficulty or redesigned maps.
Is like to know too, especially if they work with Everdrive.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Since I share a birthday with Metroid, I'm stoked to have this as my birthday present!

EDIT: Oh, man the uninformed C&D posts are here as well? :|

TheMoon

Although the Metroid 2 control was better than the one in the first game, it still feels slower and clunkier compared to one in Zero Mission or Fusion. I know people like the heavier movement from Super, so this is all subjective.

Now that makes more sense. Control scheme would be button mappings and stuff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Now that makes more sense. Control scheme would be button mappings and stuff.

That said, this really is a Metroid with a modern control scheme. You have quick access to the morphball for example with RT and you can hold RT to lock your aim in a specific direction :p

Care to elaborate on the uninformed C&D posts bit?
Nintendo isn't an evil C&D corporation. They don't tend to go after fan projects unless one of three things are true: the project is asking for money/donations, it isn't making it obvious that it isn't an official Nintendo project, or it's going to directly compete with a Nintendo project.

TheMoon

People thinking Nintendo will kill this right as it's coming out in its final version all of a sudden despite there being betas out there for years and years and there being dozens upon dozens upon dozens of fan-made ROMhacks/fan-game sequels/remixes of Nintendo games out there that they never did anything about but now they're suddenly gonna "because Nintendo" probably.^^

This isn't Square Enix :)

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Happy birthday! =)

Thanks!

And yeah, like it's been said, Nintendo does not have a history of sending C&D to non-profit fan projects, and the last AM2R thread was full of people claiming otherwise. They have been known to take down fundraisers and patreons due to the whole money thing, tho.

Only Metroid I've ever played was Prime on the GC. Great game.

Should I wait for the Mini NES to play the original (dat controller) or would this be a good place to start with the classic ones?

Rich!

Should I wait for the Mini NES to play the original (dat controller) or would this be a good place to start with the classic ones?

Start with this and super Metroid (super first) then the GBA games. Metroid 1 absolutely last.

TheMoon

Play Zero Mission. Don't play original Metroid.

ShadowOwl

Metroid 1 & 2 didn't age too well compared to the rest of series. GBA and Prime games are great, still got to play Super Metroid (yes, shame on me!)

Brenal

In anticipation for this i have been playing the original Metroid 2 , at first i looked for a rom hack with a map , but there are none so i settled for a color restoration one and a jpg map, but i wonder why hasnt anybody made a rom hack with a map?, og metroid has several.

TheMoon

Metroid 1 & 2 didn't age too well compared to the rest of series. GBA and Prime games are great, still got to play Super Metroid (yes, shame on me!)

I find Metroid II infinitely more playable today than Metroid. Played and beat the former for the first time about a little less than a decade ago and loved it but the original game is just moving sooo sluggishly and you are so constrained by everything that I always found it a pain to play. If AM2R turns out good, I'd like to think it'll stand comfortably next to Metroid II while Metroid will always get a majority response of "rather play Zero Mission."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I find Metroid II infinitely more playable today than Metroid. Played and beat the former for the first time about a little less than a decade ago and loved it but the original game is just moving sooo sluggishly and you are so constrained by everything that I always found it a pain to play. If AM2R turns out good, I'd like to think it'll stand comfortably next to Metroid II while Metroid will always get a majority response of "rather play Zero Mission."

Funny I'm the exact opposite.

I can't go back to II at all where as I just went back through the original a couple of months ago.

Agreed. It's pretty interesting, quite a few series conventions (both mechanically and aesthetically) originated from Metroid II. Off the top of my head:

- Save Stations
- Aiming downward
- Crouching
- The Spazer & Plazma Beams
- The Spider & Spring Ball
- Energy & Missile Refill points
- Samus' ship & the (now iconic) Varia Suit design
- The item fanfare

It's almost like a proto-Super Metroid in those regards. Whereas I'd probably recommend Zero Mission over the original to a newcomer (Even considering I personally prefer the NES version), I'd say Metroid II is worth a fair shake, at the very least.

VariantX

Yup. Metroid 1 is a piece of gaming history, but it hasn't aged well.

Yep. Probably only had so much memory available to make various tile graphics plus a lot of the rooms looked exactly the same. That adds up to a game that makes it very easy to get lost if you don't play it a ton and memorize it. I didn't have to do that at all with Metroid 2. Metroid 1 definately should have had some sort of rudimentary map. Metroid 2 and Super Metroid especially didn't really need one at all.

Top Bottom