• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any 4K PC gamers here?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Any 4K PC gamers in here? I just bought my first 4K monitor from Asus, and it's pretty good. My GTX 1070 doesn't really have the power to run games at 4K, but games like Forza looks great.

Any other titles I can run on in 4K on a GTX 1070 to recommend?

I gamed on a 4k TV for a long time. Recently switched to a 3440x1440 ultrawide, which is almost 4k but a different aspect ratio.

If you are into multi-player I'd recommend trying out star wars battlefront or the battlefield games. They look amazing and you should get a locked 4k/60 on a 1070. The new doom is pretty great if you'd prefer something single player.

Barnabot

Couple of months ago I did exactly what you did and I also had the gtx1070. But I thought twice and I realized I my gtx 1070 did not wrong with and I shouldn't start hating it just because I've decided to raise the bar even knowing it couldn't handle it. So I've returned the monitor and I got a 1440p one instead.

And yeah Forza 7 and Horizon 3 and 4 runs OK at 4K and 60fps with some compromises. But that's about it. And after that only older AAA games could achieve that in a satisfactory way imo.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, I've got a 1080ti which I either run to a 65" OLED for 4K @ 60fps or if I'm playing on the monitor, 1440p @ 144hz(165hz OC). Having that choice depending on what I'm playing is great.

I recommend trying some more "cinematic" games that you can get running at a 30fps lock on a 1070 where framerate isn't a big deal - stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider looks really nice.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I play on several 4k tv. Before getting a 2080ti I had a 1070 and unfortunately it's just underpowered for playing in 4k. Some indie games will be ok but bigger budget 3d games not so much.

Seems like you need a 2080/1080ti to play in 4k without bad performance problems (a 2080ti isn't even locked 60 in some games that came out this year). If you don't have disposable income to waste it makes more sense to wait until the next set of 7nm graphics cards which will likely push performance up in the midrange cards enough to play in 4k in more recent games.

Last edited:

Leonidas

For 4K60 gaming I'd recommend a GPU upgrade, unless you only want to play older games, less demanding games, or want to turn settings way down.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

If you stick to 30fps for new games you can run almost anything at 4K With a 1070 with good settings.

Gears 4 max settings
Far Cry 5 Max
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 max
AC Origins Max
GTA 5 max

Plus lots of games at 60fps like Fifa, Trackmania Turbo, Forza 7, Trials, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 1&2.

If you tweak settings i think the 1070 is a very capable 4k gpu.

I find i dont need AA either at 4k on my 55".

Aren117

I'm still with a GTX 970 only. but some games do run in 4K here at 60fps (or 30 at least) like Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls Remastered, Divinity, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, RE5, RE6, RE Revelations 2, RE4 with that cool fan HD Mod, Sonic Generations (gorgeous in 4K), PoP2008, DMC4SE...

All older games, but image quality is pristine and some even get more details to show (the armors in Dark Souls are gorgeous!!), so it's worth a revisit, I say.

GTX 1070 will probably get 4K60fps/30fps with very good settings on games like RE Remake 2, Dishonored 2, RE7, Dark Souls 3, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4, Monster Hunter World, so try these too!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
2080 Ti here! Although, I actually set the resolution between 1440p and 4K so that I can maintain maximum framerate.

On my 27inch Viotek the benefits of 4K are less obvious and it makes sense to give myself a little bit of extra headroom to run at ~1800P instead of 4K (2160P).

I've used my BDM4065UC since 2015 I think, and I think I had a 280X CF back then, or maybe it was already a 970. I've used a 1070 for the last couple of years, and it's certainly a challenge to run modern games on 4K with it. Most do run at 30 FPS, maybe with some settings cut back, but personally I usually tend to just drop back to 1440p, or rather use an internal resolution scaler setting if one is available. There's still plenty of older games that run perfectly fine at 4K60 even with a 1070. I didn't expect to keep this card for this long, but I won't upgrade until I get at least 2080 performance for ~$500.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm still with a GTX 970 only. but some games do run in 4K here at 60fps (or 30 at least) like Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls Remastered, Divinity, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, RE5, RE6, RE Revelations 2, RE4 with that cool fan HD Mod, Sonic Generations (gorgeous in 4K), PoP2008, DMC4SE...

All older games, but image quality is pristine and some even get more details to show (the armors in Dark Souls are gorgeous!!), so it's worth a revisit, I say.

GTX 1070 will probably get 4K60fps/30fps with very good settings on games like RE Remake 2, Dishonored 2, RE7, Dark Souls 3, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4, Monster Hunter World, so try these too!
No the 1070 doesn't get a steady 60 fps at 4K on most of those games, especially for Dark Souls 3. 1440p is excellent for that card though.

johntown

Banned
I have a beefy enough PC to do 4k but I still use a 1080p Plasma for my monitor (I'm a couch PC gamer).

Honestly, I am not jumping on that wagon until I can play the majority of games at 4k 60fps which is currently not the case.

Now using SLI you can probably do this but not all games support that so I am still waiting a few years for it to be really mainstream. Once it is, I will buy a 4k TV with HDR and make the switch but for me it is not there yet.

Yes I know, I found a black Friday deal but it was still over €2000. Paying it off over 2 years, so it will be rubbish by the time it's paid :D

GreenAlien

Do you guys enable V-sync at 4K 60 FPS? I'm getting lots of screen tearing at 60 FPS without it.
If your monitor does not support freesync (AMD, partial NVIDIA?) or g-sync (nvidia) you will have to activate V-sync even at 4k (because higher resolution does not reduce screen tearing). If it does have support, you may need to activate them in the driver.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
If your monitor does not support freesync (AMD, partial NVIDIA?) or g-sync (nvidia) you will have to activate V-sync even at 4k (because higher resolution does not reduce screen tearing). If it does have support, you may need to activate them in the driver.

It does support Freesync, but I still get tearing at 60 FPS without vsync enabled.

GreenAlien

It does support Freesync, but I still get tearing at 60 FPS without vsync enabled.
In that case you might want to try "enhanced Sync" in the driver, and "v-sync off" ingame.
However, as far as I understand it you might still get screen tearing if you FPS fall beneath a monitor specific threshold.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
In that case you might want to try "enhanced Sync" in the driver, and "v-sync off" ingame.
However, as far as I understand it you might still get screen tearing if you FPS fall beneath a monitor specific threshold.

if the monitor doesn't have low frame rate compensation (which just doubles the frames on a higher refresh rate supported by the monitor) then yeah

Question:

I currently game mostly on console, but I have my ps4 connected to my pc monitor (23" 1080p 60hz). I do some pc gaming, but mostly older RTS tiles like C&C and LOTR BFME. I want to upgrade my pc monitor to a bigger size for PS4 gaming and for pc work (excel, chrome, word etc.) Also, I would not mind increasing my pc refresh rate for work purposes also. I currently use the integrated chip for graphics which appears to max out at 4k 60Hz to run windows. Ideally, I would like to run windows at a higher refresh rate, but that will be in the future when I get a better graphics card.

Here is my question, if I get a PC monitor that is 4k, do monitors upscale content from ps4? Or should I simply go with a smaller size tv that can double as a pc monitor?

Suggestions?

somerset

Why oh why?

I can't think of one game that even has universal 1080P (oh, how I hate that *wrong* 'P' - how long til we accept interlacing is no longer a thing) assets. I'm so fed up playing my games in 1080, and being nose against some poster so blurry I cannot even read the text- which the artist actually banks on when the text is taken from some old newspaper or magazine that would cause potential legal issues if it could be read.

I have poster mods and painting mods for Fallout so amazing, you can see the *grain* on the 'paper' when close. And when a game like Prey actually does giant posters with clean clear detail, I am so happy. But the idea that games no-where near 1080 are worth playing in 4K is plain laughable.

No-one in the industry thinks 4K PC gaming is a real thing- just a way to sell to suckers over-priced hardware like the 2080TI.

And the nasty truth is that texture assets at 4K take up *far* too much memory- storage and VRAM. Both could be mitigated if a JPG like compression efficiency could be applied- but we are not even close to achieving that in real-time.

The best current GPU texture compression/decompression is lame and impacted by patents.

4K simply makes otherwise OK games look bad. And the next gen consoles won't change this, even as they target 4K. For consoles are 99% played from a *great* distance from the display compared to PC gaming. 4K as seen from the sofa ain't PC 4K as seen from the chair before the desk.

True 4K is a top to bottom infrastructure. Like true 3D in movies. And that is stupidly expensive given the tiny size of the potential audience. And just as Hollywood discovered with 3D, it is far far far better to just cheat, and hope the minority (3D or 4K) audience is so dumb, it won't notice.

PS there is one exception- maybe. Peeps like flight sim maniacs who have software where LODs can be heavily adjusted to resolve more detail further back in the z-plane. The image on these programs tends to look basic, but more rez allows more sim detail in the form that matters to the enthusiast.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I just got my first 4K monitor today. If you're using a large monitor that is at least 27" then 4K is great. I have a 32" monitor. If I had a smaller monitor I'd probably just stick with 1440p.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I just got a freesync monitor. With v sync off and freesync on if the game is running at 60fps there is tearing. I just enabled v sync and it was smooth. When the frame rate drops below 60 then free sync kicks in and smooths everything out.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I just got a freesync monitor. With v sync off and freesync on if the game is running at 60fps there is tearing. I just enabled v sync and it was smooth. When the frame rate drops below 60 then free sync kicks in and smooths everything out.

My experience as well. People complain about additional input lag with Vsync enabled, but I can't see any.

SScorpio

I'm not a fan of 4K/60. I previously had 3 27" 1080 120hz monitors that were very immersive, then Nvidia screwed up NV Surround.

Now I'm rocking a curved 34" 21:9 3440x1440 120Hz GSync monitor. A 32:9 would be nicer, but games are just now finally supporting this ratio of widescreen monitor.

The higher framerate and larger FOV seem like a worthwhile tradeoff to the higher image sharpness a 4K display will give. Yes they are great for movies, but performance wise it feels like you are playing on a console. 60 FPS doesn't cut it once you get used to 120 FPS.

Why oh why?

I can't think of one game that even has universal 1080P (oh, how I hate that *wrong* 'P' - how long til we accept interlacing is no longer a thing) assets. I'm so fed up playing my games in 1080, and being nose against some poster so blurry I cannot even read the text- which the artist actually banks on when the text is taken from some old newspaper or magazine that would cause potential legal issues if it could be read.

I have poster mods and painting mods for Fallout so amazing, you can see the *grain* on the 'paper' when close. And when a game like Prey actually does giant posters with clean clear detail, I am so happy. But the idea that games no-where near 1080 are worth playing in 4K is plain laughable.

No-one in the industry thinks 4K PC gaming is a real thing- just a way to sell to suckers over-priced hardware like the 2080TI.

And the nasty truth is that texture assets at 4K take up *far* too much memory- storage and VRAM. Both could be mitigated if a JPG like compression efficiency could be applied- but we are not even close to achieving that in real-time.

The best current GPU texture compression/decompression is lame and impacted by patents.

4K simply makes otherwise OK games look bad. And the next gen consoles won't change this, even as they target 4K. For consoles are 99% played from a *great* distance from the display compared to PC gaming. 4K as seen from the sofa ain't PC 4K as seen from the chair before the desk.

True 4K is a top to bottom infrastructure. Like true 3D in movies. And that is stupidly expensive given the tiny size of the potential audience. And just as Hollywood discovered with 3D, it is far far far better to just cheat, and hope the minority (3D or 4K) audience is so dumb, it won't notice.

PS there is one exception- maybe. Peeps like flight sim maniacs who have software where LODs can be heavily adjusted to resolve more detail further back in the z-plane. The image on these programs tends to look basic, but more rez allows more sim detail in the form that matters to the enthusiast.

What a strange perspective you have. One I strongly disagree with.

There is a difference between display resolution and texture resolution but you don't seem to differentiate.

"4K simply makes otherwise OK games look bad."

Wrong. 4K makes older games look their best. I would argue it makes them look as the developers intended. No devlopers wanted their games to be low resolution, covered with jaggies and shimmering artifacts everywhere. But technology could do no better at that time. In fact the increased resolution often lets you see details that you couldn't before. A great example of this is Dark Souls. There are so many little details in the players armor that you just can't see at 720p that higher resolutions reveal. Or try Mario Galaxy 2 at 4K - AMAZING! - You'll never go back to playing it at 480p after that!

Every single older game I've gone back and tried looks better at 4k.

And yes, you are correct about viewing distance. You NEED to be CLOSE to fully appreciate 4K. Even with a 65' 4KTV you need to be CLOSE.

If anyone is thinking of getting a 4K PC monitor, don't even bother with something less than 30' as you really just won't be able to appreciate it.

Last edited:
I have a 1070ti with a freesync 4k monitor and I can run the games at a decent level of details (I don't hold the Ultra settings as always the best performance/details quality).

But honestly, for having seen high refresh 1440p monitors in action... I kind of wish I went 120hz+

I think the debate of 4k vs high refresh rate is a bit silly and will dissolve soon as 4k 120Hz becomes more affordable and mainstream. People will just agree at that point that both are good.

We are just at the point right now where most people have to pick one, and can't have both.

And that will largely come down to what kinds of games you mostly play. If you are playing CS GO or you are super competitive in Overwatch or some other twitch shooter, for sure high refresh rate will benefit you most. OR if you are playing a VR game then yes, this too.

I would argue that MOST games benefit more from 4k than they do from high refresh rate.

If you are playing Civilization 6, Super Mario Galaxy 2, GTA V, Assassin's Creed Odyssey or even Cyberpunk 2077, don't tell me 144Hz is going to make much difference over 60. It won't. But 4K definitely will.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I think the debate of 4k vs high refresh rate is a bit silly and will dissolve soon as 4k 120Hz becomes more affordable and mainstream.

This is the main issue, I game in Native 4K on my PC but top out on 60fps. The price for Native 4K@120fps was ridiculous at the time with only one or two monitors available, I'll upgrade to a 2080Ti when the monitors become more affordable. For now 60fps is more than enough with the titles I play.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Doom
Overwatch
Ni No Kuni 2
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mass Effect series

You can get lots of older/less graphically intensive games running pretty darn well if you tone down the settings slightly.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I use a 4K monitor with my overclocked gtx 1070 Ti. Games like final fantasy xv and dead or alive 6 I need to drop the resolution down but other stuff like Overwatch, Street Fighter 5, Tekken 7, Battlefield One, Tales of games, etc... run fine. I’d definitely be glad to have more power though. Ff14 runs ok but definitely not 60 fps.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Any 4K PC gamers in here? I just bought my first 4K monitor from Asus, and it's pretty good. My GTX 1070 doesn't really have the power to run games at 4K, but games like Forza looks great.

Count me in. Rocking an ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ. But to really get the most squeeze out of 4k you're going to need a Ti, and likely a 2080Ti at that for most modern 4k titles. But it depends on what your target framerate is, and what sorts of graphics you're ok with.

With a 1070 you could probably do some older titles easily enough. What sorts of games are you into?

Last edited:

manfestival

I use a 4K monitor with my overclocked gtx 1070 Ti. Games like final fantasy xv and dead or alive 6 I need to drop the resolution down but other stuff like Overwatch, Street Fighter 5, Tekken 7, Battlefield One, Tales of games, etc... run fine. I’d definitely be glad to have more power though. Ff14 runs ok but definitely not 60 fps.
I dunno man, I have a 2080 and I wish I had more power in many 2k titles... are you dropping settings in all of your games to get desirable performance or are you happy with like 30fps?

If you have a 1080ti you can run the vast majority of games at 4k 60fps. Only a small handful you can't. ( or you are possibly just CPU bound )

And usually the only settings you might have to turn down are ones you won't really notice anyway. Like turning the shadows down from ultra to high. Or turning the AA down, which is totally fine because at 4k you either just need a small amount of AA or none at all.

I'm very curious to see how my 1080ti will hold up for the first year of next gen.

Last edited:
I have my PC hooked up to a 4K TV. I did for a while after I bought it and games looked fantastic and all, but I much prefer playing games in it's 1080p/120hz mode instead.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I dunno man, I have a 2080 and I wish I had more power in many 2k titles... are you dropping settings in all of your games to get desirable performance or are you happy with like 30fps?
I always play with max settings, I just drop the resolution for ffxv and doa6. My monitor having free sync really helps in Overwatch (not 60 fps). Otherwise I’m getting 60fps in BF1, SFV, Tales of Vesperia, etc...
I’m generally willing to accept 30 fps though.

Last edited:
I got a 1080ti and games at 1440p is the sweet spot for the tech right now. Maybe a gpu upgrade or 2 from Now.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned

I wish. That was originally my goal when I built my PC a few years ago but there were really no monitors capable of doing it beyond 60hz so I went for a 1440p setup. When the current 4k/144hz/HDR monitors drop to the sub-1000 range I'll join you in 4k gaming.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I wish. That was originally my goal when I built my PC a few years ago but there were really no monitors capable of doing it beyond 60hz so I went for a 1440p setup. When the current 4k/144hz/HDR monitors drop to the sub-1000 range I'll join you in 4k gaming.

For single players games I couldn't care less about going beyond 60hz, and for multiplayer games I couldn't care less about 4K. I'm fine.

Last edited:

Freiya

I have a 2080 TI and that good ol 43 inch Sony x800d that was popular here a few years ago. I game at 4k 60 unless I can't maintain the 60, if that happens I use custom res for 1800p which is what I had to do for anthem. It's damn nice being able to brute force older things though, I can 4k 60 arkham knight and it looks beautiful.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What a strange perspective you have. One I strongly disagree with.

There is a difference between display resolution and texture resolution but you don't seem to differentiate.

"4K simply makes otherwise OK games look bad."

Wrong. 4K makes older games look their best. I would argue it makes them look as the developers intended. No devlopers wanted their games to be low resolution, covered with jaggies and shimmering artifacts everywhere. But technology could do no better at that time. In fact the increased resolution often lets you see details that you couldn't before. A great example of this is Dark Souls. There are so many little details in the players armor that you just can't see at 720p that higher resolutions reveal. Or try Mario Galaxy 2 at 4K - AMAZING! - You'll never go back to playing it at 480p after that!

Every single older game I've gone back and tried looks better at 4k.

And yes, you are correct about viewing distance. You NEED to be CLOSE to fully appreciate 4K. Even with a 65' 4KTV you need to be CLOSE.

If anyone is thinking of getting a 4K PC monitor, don't even bother with something less than 30' as you really just won't be able to appreciate it.
You were actually able to make sense out of what he was saying? I can very rarely make out much of anything he ever writes.

Vlaphor

I game on a 4k LG OLED and it looks great. I got a 1080ti, so most games will run really smoothly in 4k HDR, though the vast majority of new games don't have locked 4k 60. Still, they get damn close.

Stuart360

This is where i feel i have an advantage over a lot of PC gamers because being a former console and PC gamer, i'm more than happy to run SOME games at 30fps, and my 980ti can run a surprising amount of modern games at 4k, if you lock to 30fps.

Top Bottom