• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any 4K PC gamers here?

Gamezone

Gold Member
This is where i feel i have an advantage over a lot of PC gamers because being a former console and PC gamer, i'm more than happy to run SOME games at 30fps, and my 980ti can run a surprising amount of modern games at 4k, if you lock to 30fps.

I somehow feel that 30 FPS on PC is worse than console. Haven't tried it on a normal TV using my PC though. I don't know if that is any different.

Stuart360

I somehow feel that 30 FPS on PC is worse than console. Haven't tried it on a normal TV using my PC though. I don't know if that is any different.
30fps on PC sucks. PC's really dont seem to like 30fps and always look worse than on console. I did find a way to get a 'console style' 30fps on PC though, and it works with most games. Turn Vsync off ingame, turn on 'Adaptive half rate vsync' in Nvidia control panel, and the important part - run afterburner and make sure you limit the framerate on Rivatuna to 31fps, it has to be 31.
I dont know why that works exactly, but it does, and it produces a console looking 'smooth' 30fps.

Gamezone

Gold Member
30fps on PC sucks. PC's really dont seem to like 30fps and always look worse than on console. I did find a way to get a 'console style' 30fps on PC though, and it works with most games. Turn Vsync off ingame, turn on 'Adaptive half rate vsync' in Nvidia control panel, and the important part - run afterburner and make sure you limit the framerate on Rivatuna to 31fps, it has to be 31.
I dont know why that works exactly, but it does, and it produces a console looking 'smooth' 30fps.

Must be annoying to turn this on and off all the time?

The main reason why 30fps can look acceptable is motion blur. Some kinds of motion blur are ok and some kinds are garbage but all of them will make 30fps seem somewhat smoother.

So if you're on PC and are playing at 30fps for whatever reason try turning on motion blur and then give yourself a few minutes of gameplay to get used to it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The main reason why 30fps can look acceptable is motion blur. Some kinds of motion blur are ok and some kinds are garbage but all of them will make 30fps seem somewhat smoother.

So if you're on PC and are playing at 30fps for whatever reason try turning on motion blur and then give yourself a few minutes of gameplay to get used to it.

Blur motion where? Does every game have this option?

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I game with a 1080ti on 4K screens. I usually play at 1440p with all the bells and whistles. The 1070 should be able to hit that.

sol_bad

I'm currently playing through Borderlands 2 at 4K resolution with a GTX1070. Getting a steady 60fps but had to turn ambient occlusion off. The difference isn't that huge, still looks amazing even without ambient occlusion.

Melubas

*Raises hand*

Been gaming in 4k for about two years, with my PC hooked up to my Samsung KS8000. I have a 1080ti that reaches 4k 60fps in most games at semi-max settings. With the newest visual powerhouses I can usually just lower shadows to medium or something to get there. Strangely enough the only game that I had to lower to 1080p has been What Remains of Edith Finch. I do however play most fast-paced FPS games on my 1440p 144hz monitor since I love that flow. As a side-note Mortal Kombat 11 looks glorious in 4k hdr. Another game to check out in 4k is Outlast 2, looks absolutely amazing.

With a 1070 you should be able to run most games at 4k 30 fps if you can stomach that.

ebevan91

I run 4k on most of my games with high settings. Except newer Ubisoft games. I can't even run medium on those so I'll turn the resolution down to 1440p and crank the settings up. RTX 2070.

Lort

Banned
But i thought console games were holding back PC gaming?

I suppose it is if you have a dual 2080ti and cant afford a 4k monitor with higher than 60 fps.

If your a poor pc gamer trying to play on a 4k tv, lock your frame rate to 30 and try with a controller .. mouse lag at 30 fps is a killer.

Denton

Does playing in 4K via DSR on 1080p plasma TV count?
I love how sharp and devoid of aliasing the image is.

Top Bottom