• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any fellow kids watching this new Netflix show "13 reasons why"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think Dylan Minnette is kinda cute and the trailer I watched on Netflix the other day had an interesting vibe that I didn't expect. I put it on my list before it was released and I'm curious.

A premise like that can go both ways, I guess (compelling or shlock). Depends on the sensibilities of the people involved.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
I remember reading the book in high school, didn't know Netflix picked it up.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Is it actually like Brick? Don't fuck with me

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
9a8f79484cc581ef0dc44911efb4047f.jpg

Requiem

Just finished it...really awesome

I wonder if Tyler ended up shooting up the school...weird that they left that part as kind of a loose end

Nightbird

WHAT?

This was my favorite book back in Highschool, i didn't knew that Netflix made an adaption!

Brb, gotta resubscribe to Netflix

I personally read the book when it came out, and I loved it. Im hoping the show is good, the original writer is involved so I'm hopeful.

The story is basically a lesson in suicide prevention. Like an autopsy of the events leading up to it, and how one unwittingly contributes to the problem.

BahamutPT

Binge-watched it all today and really liked it. I wasn't familiar with the source material, but I watched the trailer a few weeks ago and the premise/themes hooked me.

It's a quite harrowing story, especially from halfway on. The themes they touch are mostly spot on, with (late-season vague spoilers)
some "tough" scenes in later episodes

Things I could have done without are the
Clay hallucinations and the fact that he was too quick to jump on everyone without really hearing all the tapes (I know they give reasons for why he didn't listen to them all in one sitting, but still...).
Also
the slightly more "everyday" bulling scenes could have been shown to have a bigger effect on Hannah.
In the beginning of the season, the episodes
just mostly jumped from tape to tape without clearly showing the effects of bullying.

jwk94

Just finished ep 7. This show has like 4 major plot threads going right now. The finale is gonna be hella interesting but I can't see them sticking the landing. If they do, I'll be shocked.

jrush64

Banned
Was about to make a topic. I'm really enjoying this show. I think I might actually binge it the whole weekend.

"No, turn around asshole."

For some reason that moment hit me hardest.

Special place in hell for people like
Bryce or Marcus
and that's probably
the White House!

rbrogue

Started watching this yesterday cause of this thread. This show is depressing. Really, really good. But really depressing.

Does anyone know how old Christian Navarro (tony) is? He looks like hes 30 lol.

lmao. him and the asian guy (who is also Reggie in Riverdale) look like they're freaking 30. It's the 21 Jump Street channing tatum joke all over again.

seen two episodes. i'm enjoying this so far.

DeviantBoi

I've watched two episodes and I'm intrigued. I haven't read the book (hadn't even heard of it) so this is all new to me.

I'll watch it throughout next week. The theme is so heavy that I don't think I can binge it. A little bit at a time is the way to go.

Just finished it and what the FUCK
they really teasing a school shooting and the possible death of Alex like that?

I need a corner to lie on right on.

Start watching this on whim last night and spent most of the day nursing a hangover watching it. I really like it. I'm on Episode 10 and can't wait to see the resolution of things. I like the subtle ways they weave in hints about events to come such as
Jeff having died being hinted at--"We lost 2 students recently"--before they showed any of it
. I think they do a good job tackling some issues without coming off as too preachy which is a really hard balance to strike.

Gonna start watching later tonight. It was my favorite book I ever had to read for school, so I was wondering if I only liked because I was young and dumb. I'm really glad to see they've made a seemingly great show out of it.

Oh and if this is anything like the book this show will destroy in the last couple episodes.

jrush64

Banned
Just finished it. This is my favorite Netflix show and a top 5 show for me I think. It was heartbreakingly sad watching the show. I really wished I could help. You need to give this show a try.

YaBish

Girlfriend was interested in this because she read the book. All the impressions in here have sold me. Think we'll check it out tomorrow.

Teenagers tend to overreact a bit.

Show has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. Reading through the reviews I think I understand why I do like the show a lot. It's geared towards Young Adults on its face but it's very much a universally relatable story. Reminds me a lot of Inside Out in that sense, because that was definitely a "kids movie" that was more easily related to as an adult.

chefbags

Third episode in and a side note is that the use of the soundtrack is great.

Really feels like life is strange again (without the powers) which I've mentioned before here.

Why are half the high school kids covered in tattoos lol? Has that changed in the last 15 years since I've been in hs

Yea that was one of the things that confused me. Almost every guy in the school has a bunch of tattoos and then there's Skye who has like 7--and they're all supposed to be Sophomores and Juniors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom