• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any fellow kids watching this new Netflix show "13 reasons why"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolley

The last tow episodes were so hard to watch and get through. One of the best shows that I've ever watched. They handled everything so well.

Ashby

Man, I hope they don't ruin Clay. 5 episodes in and I'm worried that they'll be a twist that he's the worst of them.

woolley

It's not a melodrama, relationships are are a major point in the show but they are done in a really realistic way so your not going to be rolling your eyes constantly. More about how these relationships can effect someone mentally than a focus on who's dating who.

Aikidoka

I've only watched the first 3 episodes and think that it's pretty good so far. However, there's really something I can't fathom about it. In what way does it make any sense that a shit Star Wars reference is supposed to be an obscure geek reference? It's like the most popular IP ever or something.

vordhosbn

Banned
This is awful. Some of the most predictable writing I've ever seen.

Any maybe it's cause i'm a child of refugees growing up somewhere totally foreign and hostile, but I couldn't care less about white problems like school bullying (and not even sure you can call it that). It just doesn't seem like real problems, everyone is way too oversensitive and has a lot of free time.

Doosi

Banned

Any maybe it's cause i'm a child of refugees growing up somewhere totally foreign and hostile, but I couldn't care less about white problems like school bullying (and not even sure you can call it that). It just doesn't seem like real problems, everyone is way too oversensitive and has a lot of free time.

as a person who was bullied, sexually abused and thought of suicide in the past - this show has struck a lot of chords with me. it's very real and hopefully it sheds some knowledge and public awareness about how serious these issues can be

faridmon

Yeah, this.

As much as I sympethise the topic at hand, I can't relate to any of these characters because they all seem very horrible characters, even the main character who these awful things happen to. This show is sooo very American that it just deter so much about the topic itself.

I can this type of show being more effective if it was developed in another country.

I don't think the characters are necessarily supposed to be the most relatable part for everyone. It's more the situations and and the interactions that I related to. I think a huge part of it was regret, the feeling like you could have done more, or that you should have done more. I think the way the show tackled the subject of consent was really well done, and although the show seems like a PSA that's "no shit" to adults, these are important lessons to teach. A lot of people don't fully understand how getting consent should work, and guys often think of it as "implied" and that asking is a "mood killer".

I know girls who were basically slut shamed in school or even as adults because of 1 situation that shouldn't have been anyone's business. I knew those jocks who were "stars" but spent most of their free time getting trashed. So I don't think they're necessarily bad characters to include, and for a high school it makes perfect sense.

turnbuckle

This made me think a lot of "Gone Home".

Very affecting. Don't wanna say more for fear of spoiling. Started last night, finished just now.

zeemumu

Yep, I'm about to start episode 5 I think. Surprisingly enough, this show addresses slut shaming rather well. It might be a little extreme, but I feel as though that's necessary to get the message across.

Does this do the Unfriended thing where it's all about her friends sharing some party photo or video on social media that caused her to be made fun of and she killed herself, except without the "coming back as a Skype ghost" part? Or is it deeper than that?

iFirez

This is far above and beyond most other pieces of media that have ever tried to tackle the subject matter that is brought up in this show. The book is brilliant, as a 14-15 year old I felt like it taught me a lot... possibly too late as I had already been bullied for years but it helped me realise somethings. It speaks to all of us who loved and lost, all of us who didn't speak up and all of us who lived through trauma. I saw kids die and OD, I saw kids wrecked because of rape and abuse. This show captures the feeling of "what the fuck, what do I do to help?" That I always felt when I was around this.

The shows not only a narrative masterpiece but it's also a beaut in terms of editing. The fact it doesn't rely on cliche effects or sounds to transition between flashbacks and dreams is amazing. The subtle changes in colour and room layouts are just gorgeous too.

The show, not once, shys away from showing things. It shows the abuse, trauma and pain. It doesn't softly blur it out in the background or pan away, it zooms in and makes you watch; almost like it's holding your hand and saying "hey look, this is what happens". When I was 15 I told more people to read the book and now I'm 25, I'm telling everyone to watch this show. It deals with 'slut shaming' which became evermore popular with the popularity of camera phones, it deals with toxic relationships and it deals with love and how it can be so terrifying that you just want to run away from it. I'm obviously avoiding a few other major things it focuses on but I feel like those should be seen and heard by you.

Hannah Baker recorded those 13 tapes not just for those people - but for all of us. So go watch, listen to them and always remember "I had all and then most of you, Some and now none of you, Take me back to the night we met"

Does this do the Unfriended thing where it's all about her friends sharing some party photo or video on social media that caused her to be made fun of and she killed herself, except without the "coming back as a Skype ghost" part? Or is it deeper than that?

Deeper.

I just finished. The
bathtub
destroyed me. Also when you find out
Jeff died
with everyone thinking he was drunk... Like fuck.

Fuck.

LakeEarth

Watched the first episode. You mean a nice innocent main character
kissed a guy, and he lied and said they did it, and now the whole school thinks she's a slut?!
How original!

I think I've seen this show already. Like a dozen times.

Nabbis

Yeah, this.

As much as I sympethise the topic at hand, I can't relate to any of these characters because they all seem very horrible characters, even the main character who these awful things happen to. This show is sooo very American that it just deter so much about the topic itself.

I can this type of show being more effective if it was developed in another country.

I don't know if a show like this can be effective to anyone outside the particular culture it was made in. Half of the problems seem to be derived from issues that are endemic to US schools. All cultures have bullying and abuse but the situations that lead to them can be very different and even trivially preventable if looking through a perspective that assigns different emotional value to the same things.

iFirez

kissed a guy, and he lied and said they did it, and now the whole school thinks she's a slut?!
How original!

You haven't. You're at the bottom of the barrel in terms of subjects - that's the lightest it gets, it's darker and darker for the next 12 tapes. Episode 1's subject is lighter than others as it's trying to set up the characters and do some world building as well as focus on this topic. It doesn't have to do that after this point too much... especially after episode 4.

Also, it may be unoriginal but i feel like it has to highlighted because it happens far too much. I feel like this entire show is a beautifully volatile expression of hate to all the pricks who think doing these sort of things is okay.

In the book was she more detailed on the tapes? I couldn't really tell if stuff I was watching was being narrated or if it actually happened exactly like that.

is Hannah supposed to be a reliable narrator?

Ep. 4. I'm tired of Clay's cowardly and stupid shit. I'm not sure the drama it adds is really necessary.

This was pissing me off so much. His whole deal about wanting to know but he won't listen to the fucking tapes. Just being fucking dramatic along the way. God dammit.

It gets better though. They've cut back on his melodrama and I'm really enjoying it it. Ep 6.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just watched the first episode and it was pretty good. It felt like a spin-off of sorts of Life is Strange. I'm in.

Ashby

Episode 9 and suddenly there's a content warning at the start? Shit, I'm kind of scared of what they think warrants that considering everything that's been shown so far

How original!

It gets hundreds of times worse. By the end I promise you legitimately understand why Hannah would do what she did--at least I did.

Episode 9 and suddenly there's a content warning at the start? Shit, I'm kind of scared of what they think warrants that considering everything that's been shown so far

It's justified. Episodes 12 and 13 are straight painful to watch. I have a high tolerance for graphic scenes and I was pretty uneasy for specific scenes in each (
the hot tub and the bath tub scenes
). Pretty much episodes 10-13 are a rough ride and the show never shies away from showing you things that will make you feel uncomfortable.

Matty77

It keeps getting better, though clay is the densest fucker ever.

And episode 4 begins with Fascination Street off of Disintergration by the Cure, so that's instant greatness in my book.

Just finished watching this. This was a hard watch for me especially with
the rape, and the cutting scenes. I used to be a cutter, so that scene gave me bad memories.
Really enjoyed this. The last four episodes I was in tears.

Ashby

This thing with the stop sign is so minor compared to everything else on the tapes that it's almost funny

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It needs stitches. His parents are real assholes letting him walk around with that untreated.
I guess they keep it there so the viewer can differentiate between flashbacks and the present
Yeah, I'm only on episode two but I see that they have these visual cues for other main flashback characters too. In the present Justin had dark circles under his eyes on ep 1 and Jessica had different hair and two zits on her face during ep 2. Plus Hannah's shorter hair, but in the other direction in her case. It's an elegant way of getting the viewer used to it without going overboard with the yellow filters or changing looks too much.

edit: glanced at the last page and almost screwed myself, I hadn't noticed that this thread is a minefield, lol. I'm enjoying the air of slow burning social mystery of the show, I'm bailing out until after I'm done with it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Some people are going to get turned off by the YA label (already see a little bit in this thread). But I really enjoyed it. Binged it this weekend.

Had a veronica mars vibe to it for me albeit not the same kind of dialogue and humor. And kind of made me feel the same way as when watching that show and playing something like Life is Strange (minus obvious stuff from the latter)

Man I mean the entire show is basically prepping you for it and has actual
content warnings but the cutting scene
was VERY hard for me watch.

Seems like it kind of ended abruptly with some loose ends and just minor glossing over what happened to some characters. Is there supposed to be a S2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom