• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Switch owners feeling a tad miffed?

EDMIX

Except I don't consider Octopath same as Lost Sphere. After playing the the two demos Octopath is looking much bigger and much better game than Lost Sphere and I personally excited about Octopath as much as I'm excited for Dragon Quest XI.

I agree with it being more cool looking then Lost Sphere, example was simply that I don't see it in the same tier as those other AAA releases. I'm on another level excited for Dragon Quest XI, where Octopath looks good, but not day 1, buy a Switch etc to play good. I'll pick it up for sure in the future though

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree with it being more cool looking then Lost Sphere, example was simply that I don't see it in the same tier as those other AAA releases. I'm on another level excited for Dragon Quest XI, where Octopath looks good, but not day 1, buy a Switch etc to play good. I'll pick it up for sure in the future though
What happens when someone like me who doesn't really care about "AAA games" like BFV or Red Dead Redemption 2? To me Octopath is more exciting game than those two and bought my Switch to play games like Octopath, Xenoblade and SMTV. I didn't buy my Switch to play western multipaltform games like AC, BF, COD ect. If you are interested on those games then you shouldn't be buying Switch, thats like buying Xbox if you are in to Japanese games.

Chessr

Sometimes people forget that not everyone value AAA games very high. Not even red dead 2. And sometimes people dont value games like octopath very high. And that is all okay.

Danjin44

Sometimes people forget that not everyone value AAA games very high. Not even red dead 2. And sometimes people dont value games like octopath very high. And that is all okay.
Thats basically true with any consoles. We choose which consoles to buy base on which games we value most.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

The AMOUNT of games was never the issue, the lack of AAA was the issue. Its like saying Switch just got a bunch of ios or steam early access games thus "problem solved".

Major game releases aren't just AAA games. The Switch is getting some major ports, and mid-tier titles. It's not the newest Assasin's Creed, but its not a Wii U-esque wasteland.

When E3 comes around and The Division 2, Assassins Creed, Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Battlefield V, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 2 and many more are not coming to Switch, saying "There's no software drought" means next to nothing if they are not getting those games. Call it what you want, but Switch not getting those games, doesn't help Nintendo or its fans. This is very much being treated JUST like Wii U. ie here are 1 to 2 AAA Nintendo games a year maybe and huge lack of AAA 3rd party....

The Switch was never going to get a lot of those games anyway. It's a tablet, it does have limitations. However, it's still getting some major releases that can be equally as important. And the Switch doesn't a lot of them need them to sell or get good third party support. I don't believe in the notion that only the newest AAA games released count as major releases.

People are saying “oh switch was never going to get those aaa third party titles” NOW but that was no way the mindset back when the console first released with its fanfare and people were all “yep, Nintendo will do it right this time. They could’ve been, no scratch that, they are a contender!”

All I see thus far is Wii U 2, now with more Wii U.

Danjin44

People are saying “oh switch was never going to get those aaa third party titles” NOW but that was no way the mindset back when the console first released with its fanfare and people were all “yep, Nintendo will do it right this time. They could’ve been, no scratch that, they are a contender!”

What? I don't think anyone was expecting games like BF or AC games releasing on Switch.

What? I don't think anyone was expecting games like BF or AC games releasing on Switch.

Go back and read the pre hype threads with comments like “look at those middleware partnerships” “Nintendo using simple hardware for once is a great call for multi platform titles” “finally got it right” and others of the same ilk.

It’s amusing how people are now downplaying Nintendo just being Nintendo now that the dust has settled whereas when they’d just dropped the console it had everyone geeked that they were actually going to play the game this time instead of being the platform you buy solely for Nintendo games whilst having another console for “proper gaming”.

Personally I’m really surprised with how they are handling the success of the switch as I thought they would really capitalise on it by not doing everything they have over the past year. Heck even it’s anaemic release schedule for the first 6 months of its lifespan was enough of a warning for me to sell mine and dive back in later as the support was so weak and 6 months later it seems the same and represents an exceedingly poor alternative when compared to other platforms as no “real” dev seems to want to touch it and it’s owners are all backslapping each other over ancient ports and repackaged (at full price - lol) Wii U titles.

Ultimately it’s the seeming lack of support from Nintendo themselves that is my main bugbear as they seem to be phoning it in on virtually all accounts for this platform from hardware that isn’t up to their usual standards, the aforementioned lack of games, lack of third party support, lack of virtual console and all the machine themed joy cons they could provide not to mention a totally underwhelming use of the joy con tech themselves and a few other points here and there.

Hopefully it will turn out like the 3DS once it picks up steam (ha!) but at the moment that seems a 50:50 chance because “pure handheld Nintendo” seemed to get a heck of a lot more love from devs than “hybrid Nintendo” who seem to be just good old “home console Nintendo - you know the machine you buy to play out IPs alone and maybe another title or two” and they know it.

Sometimes people forget that not everyone value AAA games very high. Not even red dead 2.

giphy.webp

How dare you.

Last edited:
they seem to be phoning it in on virtually all accounts for this platform from hardware that isn’t up to their usual standards
Of all things, you think the hardware isn't up to their usual standards? The Gamecube was the last time Nintendo directly competed in power with Sony and Microsoft. The Wii U was comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360, but launched 6-7 years after them and only a year before the PS4 and Xbox One were released. It had one fall of 3rd party ports and then was abandoned. All Nintendo systems since the Super NES, with the exception of the Gameboy SP, have had design issues or just been oddities in general, and the Wii/Wii U were a mix of underpowered and awful control gimmicks. The Switch is, by far, the best hardware they've made since the SP.

Of all things, you think the hardware isn't up to their usual standards? The Gamecube was the last time Nintendo directly competed in power with Sony and Microsoft. The Wii U was comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360, but launched 6-7 years after them and only a year before the PS4 and Xbox One were released. It had one fall of 3rd party ports and then was abandoned. All Nintendo systems since the Super NES, with the exception of the Gameboy SP, have had design issues or just been oddities in general, and the Wii/Wii U were a mix of underpowered and awful control gimmicks. The Switch is, by far, the best hardware they've made since the SP.

I was referring to the poor build quality chum.

I prefer arcade-type games so I’m very very happy with the Switch. I have 70 games and counting. At the rate that it’s getting all the classic Shmups (in TATE mode no less) and the brilliant 2D games that focus on fun and hectic gameplay, it may end up beating the PS2 and the Japanese Saturn as my favorite console of all time.*

* - and that’s not counting the first party titles

Last edited:
I disagree.

This is another Wii U. Many who owned the Wii U still talked about all of its great Nintendo games, doesn't mean its getting lots of quality games compared to PC, XONE, PS4 etc. They are getting the least in terms of quality compared to the other platforms. "There's no software drought" There is in terms of AAA content.... The AMOUNT of games was never the issue, the lack of AAA was the issue. Its like saying Switch just got a bunch of ios or steam early access games thus "problem solved".

When E3 comes around and The Division 2, Assassins Creed, Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Battlefield V, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 2 and many more are not coming to Switch, saying "There's no software drought" means next to nothing if they are not getting those games. Call it what you want, but Switch not getting those games, doesn't help Nintendo or its fans. This is very much being treated JUST like Wii U. ie here are 1 to 2 AAA Nintendo games a year maybe and huge lack of AAA 3rd party....
The obsession with AAA is something I'd expect from teenagers on the IGN forums, not here.

I own 14 Wii U games. That's a "cream of the crop" collection, every single Wii U game that I think is worth owning for the system. You'd have to really twist my arm to get me up to a mere 20 games on the system.

My Switch library -- on the other hand -- has already matched and surpassed the quantity of Wii U games in less than 2 years after launch. And I haven't even bought all the Nintendo games available: Rabbids doesn't appeal to me. Neither does Splatoon 2. Kirby only looks okay. I already own the recent DK port on Wii U. But I am eager to add Xenoblade 2, Hyrule Warriors, Sushi Strikers, and maybe FE Warriors to my collection.

Anyone saying Switch is another Wii U is having a brain aneurysm. It simply isn't the case and anyone who actually witnessed the miserable lifespan of Wii U (where there were weeks and months where no retail games released) would know better.

Grinchy

Banned
I enjoy using the Switch in these rare instances that something I'm interested in releases on it. I just don't understand how anyone can own only a Switch for all of their gaming. It's been that way a long time for Nintendo consoles.

Owning only a Nintendo console is like being stuck out in the desert where every drop of water you can scrounge up tastes like the most amazing water you've ever drank. It explains why some Nintendo fans act like every first party game that comes out is the most revolutionary thing ever created (like Zelda BotW).

RuhRo

This empty a year doesn’t happen by accident—something must have gone down with a number of simultaneous delays or cancellations.

Last edited:

EDarkness

I enjoy using the Switch in these rare instances that something I'm interested in releases on it. I just don't understand how anyone can own only a Switch for all of their gaming. It's been that way a long time for Nintendo consoles.

Owning only a Nintendo console is like being stuck out in the desert where every drop of water you can scrounge up tastes like the most amazing water you've ever drank. It explains why some Nintendo fans act like every first party game that comes out is the most revolutionary thing ever created (like Zelda BotW).

I play almost exclusively on the NS. I have a PS4, but I generally use it to play The Crew and the next game I'm gonna buy for it is Spidey. I don't care at all about the other stuff since I don't play those games. I have a bunch of games for the NS, though. That's why I say I don't understand how someone could be hurtin' for games at this point. There are a bunch of them across most genres. However, if all you do is play AAA games, then I can see why someone may not be happy. But there are tons of other games and genres that are totally represented with quality.

Oh, and one more thing, I don't play Nintendo games at all. I own Zelda & Mario Odyssey (that my wife plays) and that's it. The only Nintendo games I play are Xenoblade games and Metroid Prime. The rest doesn't interest me at all.

Last edited:

noqtic

I'm miffed that we still haven't really gotten any solid information on Nintendo's online service that will be launching in almost 2 months.

Will we still be required to use that terrible app for voice chat?
Will themes and things like that finally be available for purchase?
Will more streaming services be coming and will they be locked behind that pay wall?

Maybe they'll have a direct tailored specifically for the online services.

Vawn

Banned
That is saying a lot about this year's line up for that system.

I think Octopath looks like a great game too, simply that something would be horribly wrong if I just came out and stated Lost Sphere for PS4 is my most anticipated PS4 game or something. Not saying anything is wrong with either game, simply that those are small titles through out the year that I enjoy playing, but they don't make my year, I can't even list some of those games as my top 20 in terms of top games played that year. Just smaller titles in between bigger grander titles that release. I'm sure both are great, but they have no place next to Red Dead 2, Dragon Quest XI, God Of War, Battlefield V, Divinity 2, Yakuza 2 remake etc.

I'm waiting til Animal Crossing comes to buy a Switch, I'll buy some of those other games like Octopath used online when that time comes.

It must say a lot about every system then. Because I didn't mean Octopath Traveler was my most anticipated Switch game, but my most anticipated 2018 game period and I do 90% of my gaming on PS4.

After that, there's nothing on Switch this year I'm personally excited for though.

Last edited:

Dokku

My switch is caked in a thick layer of dust. That's not me being dramatic, it's genuinely caked in dust because I've neglected it since Odyssey. As someone who primarily games on PS4, aside from Odyssey and BOTW there's been nothing on the switch for me at all. No killer JRPGs, no epic third party exclusive, nothing. I was close to buying LA Noire for switch but then realised I'd need a meaty download for it which I didn't care for, so I picked it up for PS4.

Having said that, I think Odyssey and BOTW alone have justified my purchase of the switch, but as a platform it doesn't excite me in the least bit looking forward.

Danjin44

My switch is caked in a thick layer of dust. That's not me being dramatic, it's genuinely caked in dust because I've neglected it since Odyssey. As someone who primarily games on PS4, aside from Odyssey and BOTW there's been nothing on the switch for me at all. No killer JRPGs, no epic third party exclusive, nothing. I was close to buying LA Noire for switch but then realised I'd need a meaty download for it which I didn't care for, so I picked it up for PS4.

Having said that, I think Odyssey and BOTW alone have justified my purchase of the switch, but as a platform it doesn't excite me in the least bit looking forward.
speak for yourself. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 one of favourite JRPG from last year and currently my favourite Switch game and I have Octopath to look forward to this July and hopefully SMTV for next year.

Dokku

speak for yourself. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 one of favourite JRPG from last year and currently my favourite Switch game and I have Octopath to look forward to this July and hopefully SMTV for next year.
I am. Genuinely tried getting into it and couldn't. Persona 5 and Nier blew it out of the water imo.

And NSMB U/Luigi, and Super Mario 3D world....

Except you left off two major Mario games...
No, I didn't. I've mentioned WöRLD and I've also said that it came out exactly one year after launch, so it shouldn't be considered for the 1st year... it was a game for the 2nd year.
WiiU: 11.18.2012
WöRLD: 11.21.2013

I give you NSMBU (even though I don't consider them core games), but that still doesn't change how abysmal the 1st year of the WiiU was for core gamers, especially compared to the Switch. So you either weren't around during the WiiU's 1st year, or you confuse the 2nd year with the 1st year.

Danjin44

I am. Genuinely tried getting into it and couldn't. Persona 5 and Nier blew it out of the water imo.
I absolute love, LOVE both NieR and Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2 is right there with them as my favourit JRPG and I can’t god damn wait for DLC. So to me it is one of killer Jrpg for Switch.

Chessr

If i only had a PS4 or Xbox One i would be. Because they dont have Nintendos games wich for me is more fun to play :)

Mecha Meow

Nope, Switch is still my favorite console and compliments my PC quite well. I get Nintendo and oddball 3rd party games on one, and MMOs, AA/AAA (Ibarely buy AAA) on the other. Indies on both depending on how I feel.

Switch has more than enough games coming out and the average consumer isn't going to be buying 2-3 retail games a month for it.

Lil Crypto

Neo Member
I'm not too upset really, I play most games on my PC so I still haven't even beat most of the switch titles I do own, but if I only owned a switch then I could see myself really wanting more games to play right about now.

I have at least one game that i will be buying every month till December so its fine really.

June 2018:
  • Mario Tennis Aces (Nintendo, June 22nd)
  • Lumines Remastered (Enhance Games, June 26th)
July 2018:
  • Octopath Traveler (Square Enix, July 13th)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo, July 13th)
August 2018:
  • Overcooked 2 (Team17, August 7th)
  • Okami HD (Capcom, August 9th)
  • Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Capcom, August 28th)
September 2018:
  • FIFA 19 (EA, September 28th)
October 2018:
  • Super Mario Party (Nintendo, October 5th)
November 2018:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country DLC (Nintendo, November 14th)
  • Pokemon Lets Go! Pikachu (Nintendo, November 16th)
December 2018:
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, December 7th)

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I have at least one game that i will be buying every month till December so its fine really.

• Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Capcom, August 28th)
  • Super Mario Party (Nintendo, October 5th)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, December 7th)

I see three games on that list that I might get. That's not bad.

No, I didn't. I've mentioned WöRLD and I've also said that it came out exactly one year after launch, so it shouldn't be considered for the 1st year... it was a game for the 2nd year.
WiiU: 11.18.2012
WöRLD: 11.21.2013

I give you NSMBU (even though I don't consider them core games), but that still doesn't change how abysmal the 1st year of the WiiU was for core gamers, especially compared to the Switch. So you either weren't around during the WiiU's 1st year, or you confuse the 2nd year with the 1st year.

I just disagree with you. Point blank. Accept it.

I'm getting Mario Tennis Aces, Bomb Chicken, 20XX, Overcooked 2, Pokemon Let's Go, Smash Ultimate, Star Link, Dead Cells, Minecraft Bedrock, Go Vacation (for the kids) and maybe Dragon Ball FighterZ if it turns out to be a perfect port of the PS4 version.

Danjin44

November 2018:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country DLC (Nintendo, November 14th)

Actually Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC comes out at September 14th for expansion pass owners and September 21st for everyone else.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

A Nintendo console is a Nintendo console. I'm sure Switch owners knew exactly what they were getting into, hence I doubt they're disappointed. This has been Nintendo's modus operandi for the past two decades.

Jubenhimer

Nobody expected a ton of AAA third party multi-plats to come at all, ever. The Switch is a tablet, there's clear limits to what it can and can't run. But regardless of what you think of Wii U ports or late third party ports, it's hard to deny that the Switch's weakest year is still as good, in several ways better, than the Wii U's best year (2014).

93xfan

Banned

Agreed. For example, I view Ori and the Blind Forest on Xbox as more valuable than many AAA iterative sequels.

I also grew up playing NES and later SNES games. A lot of these “indie” games are comparable in scope to many of the biggest titles back then.

iconmaster

Banned
I'm on my third playthrough of Curse of the Moon. The rest of my year is some combination of Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveller, Mega Man 11 and Super Smash Ultimate.

I'll be alright.

Thanks for that. Mostly ports and remasters. Not knocking the quality though. Hopefully if they're selling well we might get some original stuff.
I'm more of a horizontal shmup person than a vertical, but I might give that Danmaku a look. Thanks.
Blazing Star is really good (but I mentioned that one). You can get most of the horizontal Neo Geo shmups on the Switch too: Pulstar, Last Resort, and Zed Blade are all good. I think Tengai ("Samurai Aces 2") is a horizontal shmup, and Sol Divide is definitely a horizontal shmup. Sine Mora is also available, though that's been ported to a ton of other platforms, too. Thunder Force IV should be coming out this summer.

I disagree.

This is another Wii U. Many who owned the Wii U still talked about all of its great Nintendo games, doesn't mean its getting lots of quality games compared to PC, XONE, PS4 etc. They are getting the least in terms of quality compared to the other platforms. "There's no software drought" There is in terms of AAA content.... The AMOUNT of games was never the issue, the lack of AAA was the issue. Its like saying Switch just got a bunch of ios or steam early access games thus "problem solved".

But Wii U had an actual software drought. Whether it was a lack of Nintendo games, 3rd-party AAA games, indie games, or retro games, Wii U came up short on all fronts week after week. That comparison is simply untrue when you look at the Switch's current library.

And to artificially equate the Wii U's lack of software to the Switch's lack of very specific Western AAA releases is disingenuous. Look, I understand if you personally love those games, but most gamers nowadays have broader tastes than the handful of AAA titles that come out each year. Maybe if you broadened your gaming horizons you would understand why the Switch is selling like gangbusters...

boo

Gold Member
Agreed. For example, I view Ori and the Blind Forest on Xbox as more valuable than many AAA iterative sequels.

I also grew up playing NES and later SNES games. A lot of these “indie” games are comparable in scope to many of the biggest titles back then.

The indie games for me is like going back to the eighties in Europe where small teams or even one person made games for the various 8-bit and later 16-bit home computers. Back then I couldn’t afford games or home computers but I devoured reviews in the gaming magazines I got to read. I am happy that I get to experience this again and now also have the money to indulge myself.

Last edited:
I am more annoyed at the eshop being flooded with shovelware with no reliable way to identify the gems than a lack of retail releases. I have plenty to play - I think its great for midcore gamers, which I've become over time. I have a lot to play between Paladins, Rocket League, Sonic and Mario currently. I haven't gotten to Kirby yet, or Mario Tennis, etc.

Ceadeus

I think one of the problem is the big devs not listenning to their fan. I mean, why is Metroid so rare, where is Castlevania, where is pretty much every game you guys love and known for years. Megaman anyone? We've never been silent and always faithful. Dragons dogma 2 or localisation of Pso2... I could go on forever with every game that we have been waiting for years without any answer.

This industry is Just à mirror of our weekness as à consumer. Because this is what they think we are while at heart we are nostalgic fans of what made gaming best in the old Day. Dont come in and argue with me, you know im right. Dont go too deep trying to convince me all of them are trying their best. The answer is right in front of them yet we're all getting used to Having less of what we want and more of what we detest

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Can't say i agree with OP. Whilst they are not big budgets games, the Switch is an excellent shooter platform. Immortal Redneck, Paladins, Wolfenstein..

And coming up:
  • Aftercharge
  • Rico
  • Dusk
  • Amid Evil (Both it and Dusk are console-platform exclusive for now)
  • The Elder Scrolls: Blades (''coming to every platform'')
The thing that irks me is that none of these coming up games are physical releases, but there is a lot of indie stuff coming, especially in the shooter department. The Switch is an ideal platform for smaller devs, as it provides them with both a console and a handheld SKU.

I picked up Ys today and i’m enjoying it, so definitely not miffed. Hopefully I can finish it before Octopath, as if not Ys will become a backlog title for a while.

Kacho

Was going to create a new thread but this one is recent enough.

I'm with you OP. Fired up the Switch this past weekend for the first time in a while and it remains a console like I like a lot, but I'm not loving it like I should be. The software situation really is a bummer and there's no denying it. Shame it won't improve until 2019 at the earliest.

I was under the impression that Nintendo merged their console and handheld development to focus primarily on Switch a few years ago. I can't say I'm seeing the result of that yet. Does anyone know what happened?

Anyway, I double dipped on Donkey Kong Country TF which is still amazing and I'll grab the Mega Man X collection, Monster Hunter and Smash over the coming months. Still, it's sad how much untapped potential remains a year+ later. I feel like all I'm playing are Wii U and indie ports right now. Hopefully Nintendo delivers at the next direct in August/September.

radewagon

Nintendo released an underpowered system to a market that already had most gamers owning one of the other 2 dominant consoles. This means that most all Switch owners didn't buy the console to play AAA titles because they already had more capable machines for doing so. Honestly, why would anyone (aside from the portable aspect) even want triple A games to release on the Switch. I can't see too many people thinking to themselves that they really want to pick up the inferior Switch version of a particular title.

IMO what the Switch desperately needs are:
1. Nintendo Exclusives that release in a timely manner
2. Classic games (Seems like they're dropping the ball here by losing the Virtual Console)
3. Exclusive titles.

If it has those three, it'll be fine without AAA support. Honestly, who really needed portable new AAA Doom. I might be alone here, but if they had released a Doom collection (Doom I, II, Final, Doom 64) instead of the newer port, I would have bought a Switch just to play it. Those games would be sick on the go. Especially since they wouldn't have to cut any corners to bring them to the Switch. Quite the contrary, they could even add extra bells and whistles that could be exclusive to the platform.

Kacho

Switch year 2 is still looking better than year 2 of ps4 or xbox one tbh

You're not wrong per se, but year 2 for the Switch has still been weak. We've been skirting by with almost nothing but ports and I've barely been using the thing because of that. The ports are still great games mind you, I just want some more original stuff.

Top Bottom