• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Switch owners feeling a tad miffed?

I like my Switch, but with the current announcements it's hard to keep it with a PS4 and a gaming PC. Contemplating to get rid of it, but I know there will eventually be the one game that will make me regret it. :/

scydrex

Brought a Switch for Zelda, Mario and liked the idea of the Switch and wanted a 2nd console. After that not much... I played other games like Mario Kart and couple of others. After this E3 i sold it and maybe will get another one next year and if a revision comes out, IDK.

Last edited:

Fbh

Switch year 2 is still looking better than year 2 of ps4 or xbox one tbh

Nah.
Year 2 of the Xb1 and PS4 was 2015 (unless you consider year 1 to only be December of 2013):
Rocket League
The Witcher 3
MGSV
Fallout 4
Bloodborne
R6 siege
Dying light
Until dawn

Hell, with Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, FE fates, majora's mask 3D, Tokyo mirage sessions, Splatoon 1 and Bravely Second I'd argue even Nintendo had a better 2015 than 2018.

v1oz

There’s new games on the Switch every week. Most of them are indie titles. I honestly don’t think anyone can seriously say there is a shortage of games on the Switch. Fortnite, Wolfenstein and Warframe only just came out. If by shortage you mean typical big budget AAA games then you are best playing those on PC or Xbone X.

Last edited:

Mr Sky

There’s new games on the Switch every week. Most of them are indie titles. I honestly don’t think anyone can seriously say there is a shortage of games on the Switch. Fortnite, Wolfenstein and Warframe only just came out. If by shortage you mean typical big budget AAA games then you are best playing those on PC or Xbone X.

That's where I feel the huge problem with the switch lies, there's an overabundance of indie titles and titles in general that i can get on PC or any other console for much cheaper AND it'll run faster/better. The switch has an insane amount steam game ports that anyone could just log onto steam and purchase for a much cheaper price (the steam summer sale was not too long ago). The only thing I can imagine making anyone want to buy these switch ports of games they could get elsewhere is the whole "play as you go" gimmick, which let's face it, does anyone REALLY take their switch with them everywhere they go and just whip it out in the subway, car, plane, bus, ect. ? I feel like the console is just a bit too big and obvious to carry around and treat like a 3DS. I'd much rather take a 3DS around than a switch.

Totally agree with the OP here. I've been monitoring the Switch for a while now with the hopes of getting one but have come to terms that by the time it has a good selection of games overall it'll be a system nobody genuinely cares about. Too many ports that are released months/years after other systems and lack of support for their older games really sucks.

magnumpy

That's where I feel the huge problem with the switch lies, there's an overabundance of indie titles and titles in general that i can get on PC or any other console for much cheaper AND it'll run faster/better. The switch has an insane amount steam game ports that anyone could just log onto steam and purchase for a much cheaper price (the steam summer sale was not too long ago). The only thing I can imagine making anyone want to buy these switch ports of games they could get elsewhere is the whole "play as you go" gimmick, which let's face it, does anyone REALLY take their switch with them everywhere they go and just whip it out in the subway, car, plane, bus, ect. ? I feel like the console is just a bit too big and obvious to carry around and treat like a 3DS. I'd much rather take a 3DS around than a switch.

1 big problem with this is the battery life. it's only about half of what the PSP got IIRC.

Reorx

I still think that Nintendo will release a Handheld only Switch, with non-detachable joysticks, with the next Pokemon Game in late 2019.

Kureransu

I still think that Nintendo will release a Handheld only Switch, with non-detachable joysticks, with the next Pokemon Game in late 2019.
They may release a handheld console, but it won't be called "switch". It's selling really well, they have no reason to cannibalize their sales.

On topic. I'm not miffed about it at all. I'm thoroughly enjoy my system. I get a good amount of playtime at work, My family has a blast playing it at our gatherings, and I enjoy getting a match or two, or little grinding in before bed. I generally play in 15-30 min increments, so battery life isn't an issue.

I have a VERY high spec PC capable of playing any game out there, but I only use my Switch for games. Reason is that I work on my PC all day and get sick of sitting in front of it, and I like that I can play some games in portable mode at home while my wife uses the TV in the evening.

Needless to say, running games faster/better means very little to me at this point.

Last edited:
All I know is I've played Hollow Knight, Mario Tennis, Fortnite, Paladins and now I'm getting Octopath and I haven't turned my PS4 on since God Of War several months ago.

So Switchhas had better games since May.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's getting a lot of indie games because it's a pretty ideal device for playing those types of games and I am also guessing the revenue potential for publishers/developers is quite good compared to other ecosystems for indies.

It gets a few select AAA games but that isn't going to be the norm. Face it it's basically a Nintendo 1st party + indie game machine...and tbh there is nothing wrong with that. When you think of it the Switch is basically a bridge in the gap between mobile and console gaming. And ultimately I think that was a smart move by Nintendo. They are carving out there own market space.

Top Bottom